Extra Company

By Juniperlives43

*Not completed just preventing wattpad from deleting it* Gandalf searches for someone who could prove useful... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
IMPORTANT
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 24

2.7K 101 6
By Juniperlives43

I wrapped the blanket closer to me as the children of Bard continued to pass their clothes to the dwarves, allowing them the ability to change into something dry. I lean my head back against the wall as I closed my eyes. Bilbo stood next to me, taking a piece of clothing from the eldest sibling, nodding to her saying, "Thank you."

"How are you doing?" Bilbo questioned, his eyes glancing over towards my wounds before looking back at me.

"I'm fine Bilbo, you don't need to worry about me." I answer, noticing the piece of clothing was a blanket, I wrapped it around myself keeping my arms and legs close to me. I hate the cold, one reason is because my nose starts running and it's like I can never escape it. Just like guilt, however guilt is necessary. My gaze traveled over towards Thorin who was looking out the window, his face slightly pale, causing my brows to furrow in confusion.

I stood up, Bilbo doing the same before walking by my side over towards Thorin as we stopped just a few inches away from him. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"He has." Bilbo and I turned around to see Balin with a small frown on his lips, Thorin glancing in our direction before looking back out the window. "The last time we saw such a weapon the city was on fire. It was a day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale." Balin explained, looking out towards the window himself. I followed his gaze to see a tall tower with what looked like a giant crossbow sitting on the very top in perfect condition. "Girion, the lord of the city, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough, tougher than the strongest armor." I nod to myself in agreement, there were only three things that could pierce a dragon's hide. "Only a Black Arrow fired from a wind-lance could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made." Balin said with a sad sigh, shaking his head slightly.

I was about to correct him, however I held my tongue, knowing soon they would see what else could pierce a dragon's hide. I glanced over towards Bard who was listening in as well as most of the company along with his kids. I wavered on my feet slightly as a dizzy spell overtook me, flurries covering my vision for a moment before I blinked them away just in time to catch the final sentence of Balin's story, "He sent out the remaining arrows he had, each one missing their mark. Sadly the store was running low when Girion made his last stand against the beast."

"If the aim of men had been true that day, much would've been different." Thorin countered, turning away from the window to look at Balin and the two of us.

Bard looked at Thorin with a confused expression, suspicion gleaming in the depths of his brown orbs. "You speak as if you were there." Bard commented, causing Thorin's eyes to shift towards him.

"All dwarves know the tale." Thorin spoke, glancing towards Balin for a moment as he shifted his stance slightly.

"Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened his scale under the left wing, one more shot and he would've killed the beast." Bain butt in, seeming defense as he walked a few paces towards the noble dwarf.

Dwalin chuckled lightly, shaking his head slightly, "That's a fairy tale lad, nothing more." Bain looked over his way seeming to say something however everyone's attention was on Thorin as he walked up to the bargeman.

"You took our money. Where are the weapons?" He questioned harshly, wrinkling my nose slightly at his tone. But I can't exactly blame him, he is so close to reclaiming his home yet at the same time, he is so far.

Bard gazed around the company before saying, "Wait here." Seeming to ignore the dwarf's tone as he walked back down stairs where the dwarves came from.

"How are you feeling?" Thorin spoke lowly, looking at me as his gaze softened.

"I feel fine." I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time today. "I just need some rest is all. A good sleep is all I need." I lied, giving Thorin one of my best smiles as I leaned up against the wall.

Before Thorin could question further, Bard came back up the stairs, carrying some wrapped in a wet blanket, water dripping down onto the wooden floor as he carried it over to the table. Laying it down on the wooden table, he then unwrapped the cloth, revealing a range of tools.

Thorin picks up one of the weapons which almost looked like a giant hook, "What is this?" He questioned as I walked over to him, taking the item from his hands as I expect is curious, never seeing anything like this before ... or most of the items on the table.

"Pike hook. Made from an old harpoon." Bard answered while the other dwarves began to inspect different types of weapons on the table.

"And this?" Kili questioned, raising the item in his hand which looked like a spiked hammer in a way, causing me to tilt my head to the side slightly as I looked at the item with curiosity.

"A crow bill, we call it. Fashioned from a smithy's hammer. It's heavy in a hand, I grant. But in defense of your life, these will serve you better than none." Bard explained, nervousness settling on his once calm features.

Gloin looked over at Bard with a glare, "We paid for weapons, iron forged, swords and axes!" He growled as he threw the weapon in his hands back on the table.

"It's a joke." Bofure added as he threw his own item onto the table, the others grumbled in agreement as they all did the same.

I looked at them bewildered and angry, sure they have a point but he is the one trying to help us. He didn't have to take our offer or even give us a ride here, risking his life and the life of his family. They are acting like whining children not getting what they want from the store.

Bard looked slightly agitated as well, "You won't find better outside the city armory. All iron forged weapons are held there under lock and key." He then turned around, walking a few paces away as he seemed to be calming himself down.

I however, was ready to explode, the pain coming from my wounds not helping the situation at all. "Why do you all have to treat him like that!? After all he has done for us already!?" I snapped, causing the company to look over at me in surprise as rage danced around in my cobalt blue eyes. "He has risked the safety of himself and his family just to give us safe passage to his house! He also gave us their clothes which we didn't even ask them to do, nor let us stay under their roof now did we!?" I questioned, glaring at each dwarf, each one looking away, avoiding my gaze. "And you want to wine over not having proper weapons?" I questioned further before picking up the pike hook saying, "I can find ten ways to take out a pack of orcs with just this weapon, it's not that hard." I growled, my voice growing quieter as pain shot through my body, zapping my strength in a matter of seconds.

"Of course you wouldn't have a problem with it. You still have your sword!" Dwalin countered, his voice raising slightly.

I took a deep breath in and out before walking away from the table, heading towards the door. "Where are you going?" Thorin questioned, not moving from his spot by the table.

"To get some fresh air and away from greedy dwarves." I snapped, walking out of the door before Bard could stop me, slamming it close behind me.

Kili, Fili, and Bilbo moved to go after her till Thorin spoke, "Let her go. She needs some space."

"But her wound-"

"She will be fine laddies, she'll come back after some time." Balin put in, glancing over towards the door before looking back at Thorin, "Thorin, why not take what's on offer and go. I've made do with less, so have you."

I let out a groan, "Stupid dwarves and their stupid ego!" I grumbled in elvish as I walked down the wooden stairs and onto the wooden platform. I began to pace around the platform, the anger slowly fading into guilt as I began to regret the words that left my mouth. I let out a huff, sitting down on the wooden stairs, leaning my side against the railing. I buried my head in my hands as I let out another groan.

"Those friends of yours are quiet ... the bunch." I turn around seeing Bard walking down the steps before sitting down next to me draping a blanket over my shoulders. "You left this, thought you might want it." He said with a small smile.

"Let me guess, you were sent out here by them?" I question looking over at him before looking back down at my feet.

Bard shrugged, "Yes and no. I had to stop a few of them from getting out the front door, they wouldn't stop so I told them I would find you and bring you back to the house." Bard then let out a sigh as he looked out towards the run down town before looking back down at me, "But, I do want to make sure you are alright." I look over at him with a raised brow, slightly confused by his statement. "I mean, I might have only known you for a day but I can tell you aren't the person to easily get angry." He explained as I let out a sigh myself, knowing he was right.

"It's nothing." I replied with hesitation, knowing what might happen if he found out what was really weighing down on my shoulders.

Bard let out a small hum, before standing up, "Alright you don't have to tell me." He then held out his hand before adding, "How about we go inside where it's warmer." He gestured to my shivering form. I nod, taking his hand as he helped me up, before gesturing for me to walk ahead of him. I nodded to him as I walked up the stairs reaching the door, opening it walking through with Bard right behind me. 

I didn't meet the others eyes as Bard spoke, "I'll be back in a moment, I have some errands to run." He spoke as he turned and left the house while his children seemed to go to their rooms.

I shuffled my feet before saying, "I'm sorry for snapping at you." I mumbled, lowering my head in shame as I rubbed my arm. "It was uncalled for and rude of me."

"No lass." Dwalin spoke as he took a few steps forward placing a hand on her shoulder. "You made some very valid points, I apologize for what I said and how I acted." Dwalin spoke softly, lowering his head slightly.

"I am too." Fili and Kili spoke in sync, not meeting my gaze as they looked down towards the ground. "Same here." Bofur spoke, regret dripping from his words. The other dwarves nodded in agreement, all of them held a guilty gaze.

Dwalin stepped aside revealing Thorin who looked at me with warmth, "You have done nothing wrong but spoke your mind and the truth. Just next time, don't say that kind of stuff in front of another person, much less a stranger." He lectured, his eyes holding agitation before fading back to their warmth.

I nodded to them, not knowing what else to say as I went over to sit by the wall, the other dwarves separated and went over to the weapons, seeming to discuss something. My teeth began to chatter as the cold began to affect me greatly.

Thorin sat down next to me, moving my blanket slightly to look at the wound on my leg, I let out a small hiss as Thorin placed his hand next to it. "Maybe you should stay here while we take the moment." Thorin suggested.

"No." I look over at him with wide eyes, "I will see this through till the end." I said quickly before Thorin could question my answer.

"Are you sure?" Thorin questioned, his gaze holding worry. I nodded, before letting out a yawn. To my surprise, Thorin placed my head onto his shoulder, I adjusted my position so I could be comfortable, not really fighting back, since I didn't have the strength and Thorin is really comfortable.

Eventually I snuggled closer to Thorin before falling into an uneasy sleep, unaware of the dwarves' plan for the night as I slept.

Hello readers! Sorry about the long wait but I have been dealing with a few things and my work schedule has been out of wack. I also lost motivation to write this as well. Hopefully there will be another update next week. Again I apologize. 

Till next time 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 1.3K 25
A Bofur X You romance following The Hobbit. I will try and update as much as I can. ^_^ please Read, Vote, Comment! Thank you!!!! I will try to keep...
33.1K 1.1K 35
Neither of us uttered a word for the longest time. I step towards him with my eyes never leaving his "Do you know why I came back?" I ask softly "Wh...
23.6K 469 15
"I am not from a race that your knowledge knows of." Everyone shared confused glances. "It couldn't be." Balin spoke, slightly standing up. ~ You, Te...
154K 4.2K 89
*This is a Hobbit fanfiction* Iridian is a girl who was orphaned, living with a dwarf. One day, Thorin comes to her and her guardian, saying it's ti...