White Crystal Butterflies | W...

By SmokeAndOranges

❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient sto... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Thank You + More Books!
Rocks Can Dance (Update)
Bonus: How did Mahaha get its name?

Chapter Eighteen

115 27 41
By SmokeAndOranges

Mahaha is alive.

I close my eyes, my mind whirring too fast to even catch the words and thoughts flying through it. The emotions at least are starkly clear. I'm too calm. I haven't been this calm since Yahvi and I brought a team through a magnitude-seven earthquake in the Himalayas. We sheltered in a cave, not knowing if our own roof could come down at any moment as a rockslide thundered past only meters away. I remember staring death in the face, knowing that I could do everything right and still not make it through those three horrible minutes.

Those minutes are replaying now, only this time, they don't end. There's no ending. There's no cave. We're out of communications range, trapped in a small shell on a big moon that doesn't want us here. Even our feeds to the world outside these walls is cut off. Our instruments are dead, and we have no more probes.

I'm vaguely aware of the other members of my team around me. Liu is shaking visibly. Kwon has wrapped a blanket around her, and is rubbing her back. Krüger is slumped back on a couch with one hand in his hair, giving the screens on the coffee table a completely blank look.

I need to pull myself together.

We're out of communications range, but we may or may not be back in it right about now if I take Monica's word. I stand. The room reels, but I can feel the floor beneath my feet and the chair beneath my hand. I fight the reel and win. I know what I have to do.

"Kwon, check the orbital map. Are we at closest pass right now?"

Without leaving Liu's side, she reaches out and removes the tablet from its makeshift stand. A fingerprint swipe logs Liu out, bringing up the station shared space with our calendar, station logs, and other general information. A few taps brings up a cartoon depiction of Qalupalik, and Mahaha's path around its rings. We're directly in the region last reached by the Hub's relay satellites.

"Call the Hub."

If the other two hear me, they don't respond. Liu has shrunk back into her blanket cocoon, and Krüger is still staring at the space where the tablet sat. His previously blank face now bears the slightest hint of a frown.

Kwon gives Liu's shoulder a last rub and gets up. "And if I get through to them?"

"Tell them to send an evacuation shuttle for the full team. We're getting off this moon."

This time, Krüger snaps out of his daze. He meets my eye, and I keep my expression set like stone.

"I agree," he says. That's a nice change of scenery. "This was supposed to be an atmospheric and terrestrial research mission. We're not prepared to handle this."

Liu wilts into her blankets. "I was hoping you would say that," she says in a small voice.

"Don't get your hopes up," I say. "We're likely out of range already, and we should prepare for the worst until we know otherwise."

It's not reassurance, but this is serious now. The silence from the comms room already tells me which way the chips are likely to fall. I can't sit anymore, so I walk to the nearest window and watch the gusting snow whirl across the night outside. Silence blankets the room. The Pod rocks again, making things creak in the walls. I try to read the motion. We're not stuck yet, but even if the Hub gets an evac shuttle in order for us, it'll be a few days coming. We'll have to move the station at least once.

"Cap'n? I can't get through."

"Liu, go help her," I say without turning around. "Kwon, I give you permission to jury-rig whatever you can to try to get a signal."

"Roger that."

I would normally bring a hard fist down on any kind of mucking with the Pod's comms equipment, but if that equipment doesn't serve us now, we have little other use for it. I get twitchy at the window, and start to wander the room instead. This quickly turns to pacing. Krüger is now staring into space with his elbows on his knees, looking even more intense than he did before. I'm suddenly very, very glad to have another experienced teammate along. This can't be the first time Krüger has been in a dangerous situation in the wilderness of some remote astronomical body, and he's handling it remarkably well. Potentially better than I am.

I run both hands down my face. I just need to pretend I'm back in the Aventureros. We were always out in remote areas, frequently out of satellite range; with so much space junk in orbit around earth, satellites went out of commission all the time. Not to mention that it took until my generation for anyone with the resources to bother fixing the problem. I could always keep a cool head when emergencies came up. I handled most of our team's comms, calming people down, finding or rigging up signals, wrangling evacuations or assistance while Yahvi dealt with whatever mess we'd gotten into. I try to find that mindset now, but it slips out of reach.

We're not in the Aventureros here. I left them when we got into a situation that finally broke me, and now I can't unsee the same result. And I'm alone. Any decision I make will decide the fate of this whole team.

I can tell my pacing is getting frantic, and I try to slow down. I want to run. Climb something. Go outside and dig us out. Anything to relieve the pressure of the walls all around me, trapping us all in a too-tight space with too few options. The Hub can be as aggravating as they please, and I won't care, so long as we hear from them.

As if on cue, Liu calls down the hallway. Her voice is tight, higher-pitched than normal. "We can't get through."

"Keep trying," I say. "If it's an intermittent signal, we don't want to stop trying until we're out of range."

She retreats back into the room.

Time never moves so simultaneously fast and slowly as when you're waiting on a decision that will change the entire course of your plans. I check my watch when I start to stumble, and am startled to find it's well after Mahaha's equivalent of midnight already. I move to the comms room and lean in the doorway, watching Liu and Kwon murmuring over their work. Their tired faces look sallow in the dead light of the screens. Liu lifts her hands and waits. A few moments later, a call places itself from the Pod to the Hub, our cry for help into the great void elongating between the two.

Liu finally notices me in the doorway. "We're automating it."

"I was about to ask if you could do that."

"It will call every three minutes," says Kwon. "If the relay satellite becomes available, we will get confirmation of a signal received. If one does not arrive by tomorrow evening, that means we did not reach it."

If we reach it, we're safe: the satellite will pass our SOS along even if we're out of range by then. The evacuation shuttle will be here within another two or three days.

"I can be first on watch," says Kwon.

"Perfect. Do you still have the spare mattress in here?"

She points behind her. By the light of the screens, I can just make out a thin rectangle propped against the opposite wall. I know from experience that it's only a marginal improvement over sleeping on the floor, but it's the only thing resembling a bed that we can fit in here for all the times we need to camp out by the station phone.

"And an alarm set?"

"If this cooperates," says Liu, now back at her keyboard. She hits a test button, and our station phone goes off. "There. It'll ring when we get the satellite's confirmation. The built-in system isn't loud enough to wake anyone."

The phone rings three times and goes dead again. Jury-rigged indeed. It'll work, though. "Good work, you two."

Kwon pats Liu's shoulder, encouraging her off her chair and towards the door. She catches my nod and staggers off to bed.

"You should get some rest, too," says Kwon.

"Just wanted to check in here. I'll take over the watch in the morning. That work for you?"

She nods, and we part ways. The common room is empty when I return to it. I track down Krüger in the lab, buried in his laptop. He startles when I drop the article Yahvi sent me onto his keyboard.

"That came in my mail," I say. "I think you might be able to make more use of it than me."

He scans the slip of paper, and his eyes widen. "Am I allowed to show this to Lingmei?"

"At your discretion."

"Thank you." He gets up with a groan and moves to scan the article into our digital archives.

"And get some sleep yet tonight," I say. "It's late."

I get a pointedly raised eyebrow.

"I am on my way to bed right now, I will have you know." I push myself off the lab bench. "By the way, I'm putting you on watch in the comms room after me if we don't hear from the satellite by midmorning tomorrow."

He nods in about the least optimistic manner possible. A sneaking feeling tells me he probably knows the functionality of the Hub's outer-network satellites better than I do. I push the thought aside.

I make sure I'm the one on watch in the comms room when we move conclusively out of communications range again the next evening. I wait out the last two hours in a mix of tense anxiety, preemptive resignation, and quiet dread. The window in which we might have heard from the relay satellite finally closes without a peep.

I don't stir from my chair. Kwon eventually comes to find me, resting a hand on my shoulder when she sees me still staring at the empty screen.

"It has not hurt anyone yet," she says. "And we have supplies. We will get through this."

Five months. I'm already steeling myself. In all honesty, though, I have no idea how it's going to go.

"God, Dea, I hope so," I say, then get up and leave before she can reply.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 1K 28
🌟Wattys 2022 Shortlist!🌟 ~ Rayna's job is to duplicate memories for public use, but when she steals the data to help with her wife's amnesia, the c...
2.9K 313 17
When thirty-year-old Zara stumbled upon a mysterious mirror hidden among her family's heirlooms, she never imagined that diving into it would transpo...
26.6K 3.2K 51
[Wattys2018 Shortlist] [Bootcamp Mentorship Mentee 2020] [Insidious Awards - 1st place/Action/Adventure] "Squinty, I... Help me! Please! You have t...
61.4K 3.3K 34
After the Ship Masters arrive Violet seizes her chance to experience life beyond the Farm. She learns that a planet nestled in the stars is waiting f...