The life of Eve De La Cruz

By Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Eight

372 10 2
By Lilith_Deckerstar

Base Hospital 25, 1916

In the far distance, the sounds of bombs and gunfire are heard over the cries and moans of the soldiers in pain. The injured soldiers are in rows and next to one another on gurneys while the doctors and nurses try to look at them as fast as they can before the next shipment comes in. It was known as the field of wounded.

Eve was currently tending to a soldier, who was shot in the arm. She was cleaning the wound as best she could before a doctor came to take the bullet out of his arm. A moment later, the soldier was carried off to surgery to remove the bullet. Eve was going around tending to more soldiers when one of the medical soldiers approached her.

"Matron De La Cruz, Colonel Blake wants to see you in his office," He informed her.

"Of course," Eve stood up, "Please tend to this until I come up."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Eve carefully walked between the gurneys as she made her way to Major Blake's office. She worked with Major Blake at the cottage hospital at Downton and had known him like Dr. Clarkson since she first arrived.

"You wanted to see me, Colonel Blake," Eve said as she walked into his office.

"Thank you for coming, Matron De La Cruz. I wanted to let you know that since you've been working yourself to the bone, which has been two years, you've been granted a furlough."

"But Sir, I need to stay here to help the wounded. Let another one of the nurses have my furlough."

"I'm sorry, Matron De La Cruz, but you have been working twenty-two-hour shifts since you arrived at the beginning of the war, and you are long overdue for a little trip back home," He argued.

"Of course, Sir."

"Now, in four days, you will be leaving France on a boat and should arrive at a Royal Navy port."

"Of course. Thank you, and please don't notify my family. I want to surprise them, Sir," Eve said before Colonel Blake nodded, and left his office. The moment she was outside, an ambulance came rushing into the base. All available doctors and nurses ran to it and began helping the wounded.

After her time traveling to the United Kingdom, Eve sits on a train taking her home to Downton. When the train arrived at the station, Eve saw Mary and Mr. Bates talking as she stepped out of the train. Eve managed to sneak inside the station without being seen by Mary or Mr. Bates and ordered a motor to take her to Downton. A while later, after Mary and Mr. Bates had left, a motor arrived for Eve, and she was on her way home.

As the motor drove to Downton, Eve admired the land she had not seen for almost two years. It was wonderful how one could miss the little things that one has not seen for years. Before she knew it, the motor had arrived at Downton. Eve grabbed her suitcase and paid the driver before stepping out of the motorcar. As the car drove away, Eve walked to the front door and knocked on it. She waited until the door opened, and behind it was William.

"William," Eve wrapped her arms around him, "It is so good to see you again."

"You as well, Miss. We did not know that you were coming today," He said.

"I wanted to surprise everyone," She responded, "William, could you do something for me?"

"Of course, Miss."

"I want you to try and gather the rest of the staff in the servant's hall. So I can surprise them, and then I surprise everyone upstairs," Eve told him.

"Excellent idea, Miss. Everyone should be there at this time," William responded before he and Eve entered the house. They quickly sneaked down the servant's stairs. When they arrived downstairs, Eve could hear everyone in the servant's hall, making her smile with excitement to see her friends again. William entered the room first, and Eve waited briefly before walking in.

"Good afternoon, everyone," Eve greeted. They all stood up from their seat before realizing it was Eve. Everyone had surprised and delighted faces when they saw Eve," Sorry to surprise you, but I couldn't resist."

"No need to apologize, Milady," Mr. Carson said, "We merely did not know that you were returning to Downton."

"I told my superior officer not to let my family know that I was coming home because I wanted it to be a surprise," Eve explained.

"Well, it was certainly one we could all use," Mrs. Hughes smiled, "Downton just does not seem to be the same without you, Milady. We all missed you. And the same can be said for Dame Hera."

"I can imagine so. Oh, I just missed everyone. Mr. Carson, I was wondering if you could help me with something?"

"Certainly, Milady," He responded," What is it that you need?"

"I want you to gather my family in the drawing room, but don't give them the real reason. I want to surprise them," Eve replied.

"Of course, Milady," Mr. Carson smiled before leaving to gather the family in the drawing room. Eve went up the servant's stairs to put her suitcases in her room before going downstairs. Eve gently pressed her ear against the drawing-room door and listened in.

"Carson, I wish you would tell us why we are all gathered here," Robert said. Suddenly, Hera began barking, it became louder as she approached the door.

"I wonder what has gotten into Hera?" Cora questioned.

Eve took a deep breath as she grabbed the door handle. She opened the door and walked into the drawing room, "Perhaps she wanted to announce my arrival."

The looks on her family's faces were a mixture of surprise, shock, and happiness. Hera began to smother Eve with licks when she kneeled to her level. Those who were sitting stood up from their seats and made their way toward Eve.

"Oh, dear, we are so happy to see you again," Cora told her.

"Why did you not tell us you would be returning home?" Mary asked.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," Eve answered.

"Well, it is certainly a joyous surprise for the ages," Robert exclaimed.

"Carson, I want you to ask Mrs. Patmore if she could make Miss Eve's favorite dish for luncheon?" Cora asked.

"Of course, Milady," Mr. Carson replied.

Everyone talked about what Eve missed at Downton during her two years away. Eve told her family what she experienced at the base hospital and only told them about the joyful moments.

After a few minutes had passed, Cora said, "Why don't we let Eve go up and get settled? I'm sure you are tired, dear."

"I could do with a little rest, Aunt Cora. Come along, Hera," Eve agreed with her Aunt. Mr. Carson opened the door for Eve and Hera as they left the drawing room. The two ventured up the stairs to Eve's room, where Eve took out her typewriter after not writing her story for two years while Hera lay on the bed.

A little later that day, Sybil and Eve were in the kitchen, and Sybil had just asked Mrs. Patmore if she could teach her how to cook.

"Well, it would be our secret. A surprise. You don't mind, do you?" Sybil asked.

"Oh, it's not that I mind, Milady," Mrs. Patmore replied, a little flustered.

"And I only need the basics. How to boil an egg. How to make tea," Sybil explained.

"Don't you know how to make tea?" She asked.

"Not really," Sybil answered and the kitchen girls giggle, "You're right. It is a joke. But when I start my course, I don't want to be a joke. Will you help me?"

"Of course, we will, won't we?" Daisy said.

"If you say so. Let's get started," Mrs. Patmore picks up a kettle and asks Sybil, "Do you know how to fill a kettle?"

"Everyone knows that," Sybil takes the kettle from Mrs. Patmore and goes to the tap. She opens the valve and water sprays all over, and everyone laughs in response.

"Not everyone, apparently," Mrs. Patmore responded.

That night in Mary's bedroom, Anna finishes Mary's hair while Sybil and Eve sit on the bed; Cora and Edith sit in chairs.

"Glad to be back?" Sybil asked her sister.

"I'm never sure. When I'm in London, I long for Yorkshire, and when I'm here, I ache to hear my heels clicking on the pavement," Mary replied, "I'd forgotten about this nightmare concert. Why didn't you warn me? I'd have come back tomorrow."

"But you'd have missed Matthew," Edith gloats, causing Mary to pause in surprise.

"I was going to tell you. Matthew's on leave. And he's in the village, so Papa and I thought it would be a good time to mend our fences. He's coming tonight with Isobel," Cora explained to Mary.

"And his fiancé," Edith added, still gloating.

"What?" Mary asked.

"Edith. I don't know how helpful you're being," Cora scolded her daughter.

"Matthew's engaged. He's brought her to Downton to meet his mother," Sybil informed as Mary listened in continued surprise.

"Well, how marvelous," Mary commented.

"You don't mind?" Eve asked her cousin.

"Why should I? We're not going to marry, but I don't want him to spend the rest of his life in a cave," She responded.

"Exactly what Papa and I feel. Please try to be happy for him," Cora pleaded.

"Of course I'm happy! Good luck to him," Mary reassured, "Anyway, there's someone I want you all to meet. Have you ever come across Richard Carlisle?"

"Sir Richard Carlisle? The one with all those horrid newspapers?" Edith asked.

"We met at Clifton."

"But how old is he?" Edith asked with a scoff.

"Old enough not to ask stupid questions," Mary retorted, "Anyway, I can't wait for you to know him. If only Papa hadn't closed down the shoot."

"Most people have stopped shooting now that the war's on," Cora informed, "But I'm sure Papa will be happy to have Sir Richard come and stay."

"Are you?" Edith questioned, "I shouldn't have thought he was Papa's type at all."

"You coming?" Cora asked.

"I'll be down in a minute," Mary replied. The four women left the room and went downstairs to get seated for the concert.

That evening, the guests arrived for the concert and began taking their seats. Amongst those arriving were Isobel, Matthew, and his fiance, Lavinia. Robert goes to greet them as they walk into the room. Eve sits next to her Grandmother and Aunt. The three of them glanced over their shoulders and saw Lavinia.

"So, that's Mary's replacement. Well, I suppose looks aren't everything," Violet said in a rather rude tone.

"I think she seems rather sweet. I'm afraid meeting us all together must be very intimidating," Cora said with sympathy for Lavina.

"I do hope so."

Eve watches Mary approach them and begins a conversation. Eve admires her cousin for how she was civil with Lavina. Soon The band starts. Sitting down, Lavinia and Mary regard each other. During the concert, two women stand and start handing out white feathers. One of the women gives a white feather to William.

"What is it?" William asked.

"A white feather, of course, coward," The woman called him.

Robert turns around and stands up before he bellows, " Stop this at once!" William stands, "This is neither the time nor the place!

"These people should be aware that there are cowards among them," The second woman spats.

"Will you please leave? You are the cowards here, not they!" Robert yelled. Eve and Mr. Bates stand, also angry, and the women leave. Robert nods to William. William nods and sits down. Robert then says, "Leader, will you continue?"

Eve glanced over at William and saw him finger the white feather the woman gave him.

In the dining room, Cora decides to address the issue of the white feather given to William during the concert.

"That was horrid, William. I hope you won't let it upset you," Cora comforted.

"No, Your Ladyship," He replied.

"Why are these women so unkind?" Robert asked.

"Of course, it is horrid, but when heroes are giving their lives every day, it's hard to watch healthy young men do nothing," Edith said.

Robert quickly looked at William, who looked down uncomfortably.

"War is a friend to no one. No matter what side you are on, if you win or lose the war, you still lose friends, family, etc. No one should be called a coward if they do not wish to join the barbaric acts," Eve spoke up.

"By the way, Sybil, very good news. They do have a vacancy. It's very short notice because someone dropped out. You'd have to be ready to start on Friday," Isobel told Sybil, causing her to smile.

"May I ask what this is about?" Robert questioned.

"Cousin Isobel has got me a place on a nursing course in York," Sybil informed, "I want to work at the hospital."

"We don't have to talk about it now," Cora addressed before she glared at Isobel, who smiled awkwardly.

"Branson says I'm ready for the road," Edith announced.

"That's not what he told me," Robert commented.

"Oh, how delicious, I love these," Lavina said as Mr. Carson served her.

"How did you and Matthew meet?" Robert asked her.

"Oh, in London," She replied, "My father works in London, so I've always lived there. But I love the country, too."

"Of course you do," Violet vocalized.

"Daddy's a solicitor, like Matthew."

"My, my. You're very well-placed if you're ever in trouble with the law," Violet remarked.

"Did I tell you I've been given a colonelcy in the North Riding Volunteers? So, I'm properly in the army again," Robert voiced.

"Mm. Congratulations," Matthew said before he turned to Mary on his right.

Eve and Sybil talked about what she could expect from her training and after for the rest of dinner.

A while later, the party sits down in the drawing room. Sybil and Eve continue discussing Sybil going to York for her nursing course when the door opens, and Ethel rushes in. Everyone looks up, and William pauses in the middle of serving Lady Grantham.

Ethel curtsies and says, "Beg pardon, Milady, for keeping you waiting."

"What?" Cora asked, confused.

"I'm ever so grateful for your appreciation, and I want you to know that it's a privilege to work here."

Everyone stares at Ethel blankly while Mr. Carson looks mortified.

"Ethel. What are you doing in here?" Mr. Carson asked.

"H-- Her Ladyship sent for me," She replied.

"And who gave you this message?"

"Miss O'Brien. She said I wasn't to keep Her Ladyship waiting."

"You may go back downstairs now. Thank you, Ethel," Mr. Carson told her.

"Right. Thank you, Milady," Ethel curtsies excitedly and exits. Cora smiles and shakes her head.

"Well, do we think she's mad, ill, or working for the Russians?" Violet quipped. Sybil laughs but then stops herself.

The next day, Eve was in the kitchen, along with Mrs. Patmore, to help Sybil cook. Sybil stirs something on the stove. Mrs. Patmore checks over her shoulder.

"What in Wonderland do you call that?" Mrs. Patmore asked. She then sees Sybil's horrified expression, "I mean, I do not fully understand what you're trying to do, Milady."

Sybil shakes her head as she says, "Oh, I knew it wasn't supposed to look like this."

"No, Milady, I would go so far as to say there is no food on the earth that is supposed to look like that," Mrs. Patmore said before walking away to continue cooking."

Daisy comes over to check on Sybil. Sybil asks, "Why does everything go so lumpy?"

"Tell you what, chuck it out, and we'll start again," Daisy told her. Sybil nods and takes the pot off the stove.

Eve walks over to Sybil and says, "Don't worry, Sybil. Remember, if at first, you don't succeed, try again."

"Thank you," Sybil smiled.

A while later, the four women stood near the oven as they waited to take the cake Sybil was baking for her mother out.

"Now, steady. Even the most experienced cook can burn themself if they're not careful," Mrs. Patmore warned Sybil.

"But do you think it's ready?" She asked.

"I know it's ready."

"Go on, you don't want to spoil it," Daisy told her.

Branson entered the kitchen as Sybil pulled the cake out of the oven with a smile on her face, and he grinned.

"Ta-da," Sybil said with a smile on her face.

Daisy, Eve, and Mrs. Patmore help Sybil finish the cake.

The following morning in Sybil's bedroom, Cora, Eve, Mary, Violet, Edith, and Mrs. Hughes were helping Sybil pack before she left for her course, and Eve returned to the base hospital. Hera was lying on the floor watching them.

"Where's Anna?" Violet asked.

"She's not feeling very well today, Your Ladyship. I've taken over for the time being," Mrs. Hughes informed her.

"Oh, that's so kind of you. Just make sure Lady Sybil packs things she can get in and out of without a maid."

Sybil notices Edith starting to pack an evening gown and stops her, "Oh, I don't need that. I'd never wear it."

"But you must have something decent. Suppose you're invited to dinner," Edith said.

"I know this is hard for you to grasp, but I'm not there to go out to dinner. I'm there to learn," Sybil told her.

"Take one, just in case," Mary said as she handed Sybil a gown.

"They were like this when I went away," Eve told Sybil.

"We'll miss you," Edith said.

"Don't be silly. It's only two months. And I'll come home if I can," Sybil comforted.

"Why don't I drive you?" Edith proposed.

"She's taking enough chances with her life as it is," Violet quipped.

"Oh, Granny," Edith sighed.

"What is this driving mania?" She exclaimed.

"It'll be useful. They won't let a healthy man drive us around for much longer. And if Sybil can be a nurse, why can't I be a chauffeur?" Edith replied.

"The men at the base hospital taught me and most of the nurses to drive," Eve spoke.

"Well, I shall leave you. I have been summoned by Cousin Isobel for tea. Goodbye Sybil," Violet holds out her arms for a hug, and Sybil embraces her with a smile, "And good luck with it all."

"Thank you for being such a sport," Sybil praised.

"It's a big step you're taking, dear. But war deals out strange tasks. Remember you're Great Aunt Roberta," Violet stated before she turned to leave.

"What about her?" Mary asked.

Violet paused at the door and replied, "She loaded the guns at Lucknow."

Mary, Eve, and Sybil raise their eyebrows at one another.

"I'll come with you. I'll tell William to fetch the bags. The next one to leave the nest," Cora spoke to Sybil before leaving the room.

"Poor Mama. She always feels these things so dreadfully," Edith addressed.

"That's her American blood," Mary voiced.

"I'm so glad we've settled everything with Cousin Matthew. Aren't you, Mary?" Sybil asked.

"Oh, please stop treading on eggshells. I've other fish to fry," Mary scoffed

Sybil and Eve wave goodbye to Cora, Hera, Mary, and Edith from the car. Sybil begins to cry as they drive away and Eve hugs her. When they arrived at the station, Eve hugged Sybil goodbye and wished her good luck before boarding the train. Eve waved goodbye to Sybil as the train departed from the station until she was no longer in view. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 396 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...
6.7K 220 56
what happens when all the queens revive in the 21st century? will they find a home? will they find their kids? will henry come back? who knows "Peopl...
1.3K 10 28
| The Sequel to 'All Is Fair In Love And War' ||Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley || Their secret doesn't just exist within Downton Abbey, now it lives a...
91.3K 1.4K 20
When the youngest Crawley sister falls in love with the chauffeur trouble ensues.