(Zutara) Hold it Gently; My H...

By WritersWayOfLife

A complete Cannon rewrite starting from Book One; novelisation of each book, focusing on Zuko and Katara, and... More

The Boy in the Iceberg
The Avatar Returns - Part One
The Avatar Returns - Part Two
The Southern Air Temple
The Warriors of Kyoshi
Jet
Captured
Exposed
Starlit
The Winter Solstice Part Two: Avatar Roku
The Storm
The Blue Spirit
The Waterbending Scroll
Bato of the Watertribe
The Deserter
The Waterbending Master
The Siege of the North - Part One
The Siege of the North - Part Two

Imprisoned

1.3K 40 11
By WritersWayOfLife

There's something in the water
Starts a fire
Feel like I should warn ya
But I never learn

~ ~ ~

Sokka and Aang don't ask her, talk about, or mention Jet, ever, and for that Katara would wash all the dirty socks and make all the separate dinners the vegetarian and carnivore could ask for. Except they're also going out to forage, taking turns pitching the tent, shedding Appa, chasing down Momo to make sure he isn't getting fleas, and Katara's a little less grateful. She's never dealt well with idle time. Every lax second, she counts down until Aang and Sokka grow bored or does one of her chores wrong so she can do it again, the right way. Meditating might work for people like Aang when stress and trauma threaten to overwhelm them, but if she doesn't over-function her body, her mind will crawl deeper into the dark pit Jet's cruelty left in her soul and drag her down with it.

But she's careful not to hover, micromanage, or criticize. It's not in her nature to nag, she hopes. Idle time creates too much time to think, remember, drag her deeper into the ghost of a touch, the flame which wants to flicker, desperate not to go out.

Maybe that's why she latches onto Haru. Sweet and genuine, governed by his pain but not moulded by it like Jet, even if when he tries to take her hand she shies back, hiding her shiver of revulsion behind a quick shoulder pat and forced, tittering laugh. She isn't ready for something like that again, even the idea of it.

"I'm sorry," she says, flinging whatever she can at the wall and hope it distracts away from how awkward she feels. "about what I said earlier. I didn't know about your father."

"That's okay." He busies himself with two rocks on the ground in front of them. "It's funny, the way you were talking back in the store? It reminded me of him."

She's flattered despite herself. "Thank you."

"My father was very courageous." He isn't talking to her anymore, not really. His fingers spin the small pebbles as his mind drifts back to that day, five years ago. "When the Fire Nation invaded, he and the other earthbenders were outnumbered ten to one. But they fought back anyway. After the attack, they rounded up my father and every other earthbender, and took them away." His fingers stop manipulating the pebbles. "We haven't seen them since."

"So that's why you hide your earthbending."

"Yeah. Problem is ..." Before her eyes the pebbles lift from his palm and resume their dance in the air. "the only way I can feel close to my father now is when I practice my bending." The pebbles drop despondently back into his palm, and he crushes them with a single squeeze. Sand flies away into the ether. "He taught me everything I know."

Katara's fingers touch her treasured glass bead. Like Haru forgot her, she's taken back to her own crushing day of realising how cruel the world can be. "See this necklace? My mother gave it to me."

Haru looks over his shoulder before coming closer to get a better look at the carving. When he leans down she can feel his breath on her neck. "It's beautiful."

"I lost my mother in a Fire Nation raid. This necklace is all I have left of her."

"It's not enough, is it?"

Haru aches for his missing father, lives constantly in fear, yet even as he hides his bending, his true self, Katara finds his fear more truthful than hate.

And he's nice. When she has to have the concept of money explained to her, he does it gently as he picks his mother's discarded copper pieces from the floor. When he leads her, Aang, and her brother to the market he keeps them away from the stalls and sides of town reserved for the Fire Nation soldiers. They can legally go to those areas, but two watertribe citizens  would draw enough eyebrows without Aang tagging along. She just hopes the soldiers don't decide they want to slum it the same time as their shopping trip with Haru.

She knows he's not hiding behind a nice façade when he lets the opportunity for any mocking jabs she once mistook for charm slide as the store peddlers shout in numbers and acronyms she doesn't understand. No smirks at her expense when she offers some nuts in exchange for a bag and is laughed away from the stall. Such commotion doesn't exist in the Southern Watertribe. She comes from a life of trading goods, furs, services, and food. It is strange being in a crowd where no one knows her face or cares for her purpose. In the Southern tribe, women she grew up with would have jostled her, young boys Sokka trained would run across her path. Here, Earth Kingdom citizens slam into her and offer not even a faint apology. It might not be the biggest city, but she does not like it. If not for Sokka and Aang, she'd feel so alone.

She could offer her services, maybe draw water from the morning grass for a thirsty vender. But Zuko's rasped warning always lingers at the back of her mind and makes her feel only a little hypocritical when she encourages Haru to Earthbend.

This town is his home. These are his people. She thought the risk wasn't as great for him. She was wrong.

~ ~ ~

Getting arrested for an element she doesn't even bend is far too easy. Raising her voice in front of the stuffy Fire Nation soldiers probably would have done it, but she needed to be taken to where they were keeping the Earthbenders.

Despite knowing Aang and Sokka are right behind her, Katara can't help but hunch into herself during the cart ride down to the harbour. When she's loaded onto the prison transport boat, water on all sides, she closes her eyes and lets her blood move in time with the calm, lapping against the hull. It barely helps. There's so much metal. Beneath her, around her, walking in between their prisoners. She knows fire is the only element which isn't part of nature; it has to come from the bender itself instead of the earth, the sky, or the water. But if they rise with the sun, burn with its heat, why surrounded themselves with so much cold metal?

They ferry them out as the sun begins to set, across inky water turned violent purple as twilight blends sea and sky together. If the ferry ride was long enough, Katara could have seen where the prison island was then risen her rebellion with the moon. But the rig is visible from the shore, a stab of dark shadow in an endless sunburst sky. They built it so close on purpose, not only as a constant reminder to the Earth Kingdom village, but also a constant torture to those captured. So close to land, yet separated by a bottomless, vast sea. Katara wishes she could feel smug at how ill prepared these firebenders are for her, but she feels so small crammed in between prisoners on the transport vessel.

Sokka and Aang are right behind. She keeps reminding herself until the boat docks in the prisons shadow. They make them climb up before removing their shackles. Katara almost slips, fingers numb against the slick, ice cold metal. When the prisoner below her halts her decent, he's cuffed with a hot fist for holding up the procession.

Everything about this place is a show of force. Bringing metal into the middle of the ocean. Forcing Earthbenders off their land. Look what we can do. Anytime we want. Do as we say, when we say. Or end up here.

The warden epitomises this philosophy, because only the Fire Nation can turn force into a way of life.

"Earthbenders. It is my pleasure to welcome you aboard my modest shipyard. I am your warden." Self-importance drips from the weasel faced man, the goatee not helping Katara picture anything but the twitching, opportunistic nose of a hungry rodent. "I prefer to think of you not as prisoners, but as honoured guests. And I hope you think of me as your humble and caring host."

Fat chance, Katara thinks. Next moment he's snapping a whip of fire at the man to her right because he interrupted his sanctimonious speech with a coughing fit. She glowers as the warden sends the poor man into the depths of this metal beast. "One week in solitary will improve his manners!"

Turning, he spies her disdain before she can hide it. She'll be next, and she almost wants it if it means ruffling this peacockcats plumage. Instead, the weasel lips pull back in a nastily satisfied grin. "Simply treat me with the courtesy I give you, and we'll get along famously."

Prisoners labour with axes and shovels below the walkway the warden leads them down. "You will notice, Earthbenders, that this rig is made entirely of metal. You are miles away from any rock or earth." He gestures and postulates, and Katara sees none of it. Craning her neck, the ocean disappears from view one step at a time as they descend into the prison yard. "So, if you have any illusions about employing that brutish savagery that passes for bending among you people, forget them. It is impossible."

Metal gates slam behind Katara. Above her, guards in more metal survey their prison. Even through the many layers of steel, iron and loathing, she can feel the ocean surrounding her. How easily could she flood this yard and all the Fire Nation guards in it if she were better trained? Aang could, but he needed to go into the Avatar State to do it, and Katara shivers from the revulsion the impulse to ask him brings.

"Katara?" a voice across the yard exclaims.

She's running into Haru's arms before the word is out of his mouth, previous reservations be damned. She brought him to this place but, thankfully, no thanks to her, this sweet boy is okay. "Haru!"

He grips her tightly, rigid with surprise, before pulling back to hold her at arms legs. He traces her with confused eyes as if trying to decide if she's truly in front of him. "What are you doing here?"

She bows her head. "It was my fault you got captured. I came to rescue you."

"So, you got yourself arrested?" His eyes sweep the patrolling guards above. "Katara, you've got guts but that's crazy. You're a wat-" He cuts himself off, leaning closer to whisper, "You're a waterbender."

"You don't have to whisper, I know," she teases in a poor attempt to dispel the brevity beginning to swallow her.

"If these guards find out you can waterbend you'll be in a lot more danger than me. You're..." Haru shakes his head, laughing at the ridiculousness they've found themselves in. "You're freaking amazing." She blushes, squashes the treacherous warmth flaring in her stomach when Haru takes her hand. She has no time to repeat past mistakes. "Come on, there's someone I want you to meet."

~ ~ ~

Darkness presses in on Katara. She can't get comfy on the cold metal of her cell. Can't sleep. Can't pull herself out of the pit of despair Tyro's acceptance of his fate threw her into. Everything she knows about Earthbenders feels like a lie, and that in turn makes her feel even worse. Tyro alone has been in prison longer than Katara's been able to competently bend water. How can she blame him for being so hopeless? How is she supposed to accept these people just want to roll over and wait for it to end? In a war lasting a hundred years, the systematic breaking of spirits has become second nature to Fire Nation torturers.

Effortless cruelty fills this metal place. They don't have to whip or beat their prisoners. That would require too much effort. Besides, physically broken tools can't work. It's in the softly rotten food, not enough to make the workers sick, but tastes like Katara's cleaned Momo with her tongue like an owlcat. The insufficient blanket to prisoner ratio directs the hate easily from the guards to the have blankets and have nots. Old bones creak, ache with cold, stiff as the constant metal, slowly debilitating until bowing to metal is the smart choice, not the desperate one.

Aang's gentle tap starts her from an uneasy sleep. She forgets how lightly he moves sometimes, so used to trekking across grass and the earth. His ability to pad across the metal would be disconcerting, if she weren't so happy to see him, Sokka, and Appa floating above her beloved ocean.

"Your twelve hours are up; where's Haru?" Sokka leans as if the broad Earthbender were hiding behind her. "We've gotta get outta here!"

And her beloved ocean must wait for her return. "I can't."

"We don't have time!" Sokka balks, waving at her impatiently as he looks nervously around. "The guards are everywhere. Get on!"

"If we stay here, we're going to get caught, Katara," Aang adds softly, unsure what's happening, why Haru isn't with her.

"I don't care." She squares her shoulders under their questioning gazes. "I'm not giving up on these people."

It takes some convincing, some arguing, then because if there's one sure way she can get Sokka's cooperation, some smooth talking and delicate ego stroking. And, true to form, he comes through. And she has to say, his is a stroke of genius. It takes almost the whole night to close off all the vents but one, and Aang's filthy by the time he climbs out. They agree blowing the coal into the courtyard needs to wait until the prisoners are there to bend it, so Sokka and Aang hop back onto Appa, and Katara sneaks back to her empty cell.

The door squeaks open under her touch. But as she's walking hesitantly back to her hard, cold pallet, she halts when no responding squeak says goodnight.

"So, you're the one on the flying bison?" The warden's shadow and pinched, satisfied voice engulfs her. "My men report seeing the offending animal fleeing from my rig, and then on the patrol rounds I find your cell empty. So, why exactly have you been out of your cell, young lady? Failing to incite anymore rebellions on my rig?"

Katara gasps, spinning around, almost bending the water from her rations on instinct. Fire Nation guards flood her cell before she can. The warden grins smugly as she's taken to the ground. She struggles, thrashes, kicks. A meaty hand tries to pin her shoulders, slips upwards and grips around her neck. She bites on instinct and gets a slap across the mouth before she's grabbed and dragged roughly back to her feet.

The warden gleams over her. "Want to try that again?" Katara glares, swallowing the blood from her split lip. "No? Are you quite certain?"

"You only capable of talking in questions?" Katara spits. A spot of blood lands on his shiny metal boot.

He looks down at it, back at her. "Ah, a hostile prisoner then." He straightens. "Take her below. Something's happening in my prison, I can feel it. Throw her in solitary then do a sweep, now!"

Heart and mind racing, Katara's feet move under her without thought as she's shoved along. Above the high prison walls the sun is beginning to rise. She can feel her power waning as the moon fades with the coming morning. Sokka won't come back until he sees the coal, but Aang won't spring the trap until the Earthbenders are woken in the morning.

The ocean thrums in her blood, but once she's beneath the layers of metal she isn't sure she'll be able to feel it. She pictures it lapping against the rig, feels the vibration of the soft impact. It's low, until she finds the tug in her gut and pulls. The water slaps the metal higher. She feels the spray in the air as she's led across the walkway.

Come on Sokka, she thinks as she tries to harness the push and pulls. Impossible for her inexperience yet she tries until her knees go weak. See the water, see something's wrong. I can't keep this going much longer.

Push and pull. Push and pull. The sun breaks the horizon. It's still cool but Katara sweats from the effort of creating a tide, pushing and pulling, battering the metal. Until she tries to pull the waves over the sides of the rig and it becomes too much. Her gut wrenches, too strong for her primitive understanding of her element. Katara gasps, collapsing to her knees.

"Get that girl back on her feet, now!" the warden snaps. But as she's climbing back up the rig shakes, her feet slipping once again. "What in Agni's warmth-"

A solid, black hurricane bursts from the vents. Chunks of coal bounce across the deck, ping off the guard's armour. It rains down across Katara's back, and with each stinging whack she smiles, knowing Sokka will come.

"Get her down below, now!"

They drag her down, knees scraping the floor. She can't fight their strength. Never before has she summoned the ocean, brought it to her whims. It bought them time at the cost of her freedom. But Sokka will be on his way, the Avatar will lead the Earthbenders.

And she hears it; Aang inspires. Sokka stands his ground. Tyro, their fearless leader and his brave, sweet son, whip the Earthbenders into a frenzy so loud Katara can hear it all the way down in her solitary cell. Together, they'll fight. They'll win. They'll come for Katara. All she needs to do is wait, keep her faith.

Through the rocking, the crashes, Katara holds on to her belief. Sokka and Aang will come. They'll win. They'll figure out she's been taken to the lower prisons.

Through the cries to get to the ships. In the fading echoes of escape. As silence closes in again. Katara waits for her friends.

Waits. And waits. She waits so long, she doesn't realise she's fallen asleep until the door is being pulled back and a bleary, bald figure steps into the light.

"Aang," she breathes in relief. But when the figure turns its head, something thin protrudes from the top. Momo?

"As you can see, my Prince, not all was lost when the Earthbenders fled the rig." The warden simpers. He's nervous, his smaller shadow fidgeting with thin hands. Katara's too dehydrated and foggy to understand why. "While the Avatar led the savages mad dash back to the mainland, an escape we're still tracking, might I add, we were able to hold onto one prisoner."

"She's more than one of your earthbending captives, warden," rasps a voice Katara's sure she only hears in her nightmares. "Neither is she yours any longer. I'll be removing the Watertribe girl from your custody. She's the perfect tool to bring the Avatar to me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 205 22
"I can't keep doing this katara, you have to decide. It's either me or him" 🌹 Katara didn't think she needed anything else, she had a supportive bro...
29.9K 765 18
This is mainly a go with the flow kind of story. There is a storyline, but I make it up as I go. I hope you enjoy Zuko and Katara falling for each ot...
2.8K 38 7
Kataang story that starts on Aang and Katara's wedding day. features canon ships and other characters. A story of vignettes that show events in Aang...
5.3K 101 8
Modern AU, adults. Zuko falls in love with Katara when she takes care of him at her hospital. Aang finds out Zuko likes his girlfriend, Katara, and h...