Partners in Crime; A Jay Hals...

By Writer_Reader05

Y/n L/n used to be a Homicide Detective, but now, she has been transferred to the Intelligence Unit of the 21... More

Season 1; Stepping Stone
Wrong Side of the Bars
Chin Check
Now Is Always Temporary
Thirty Balloons
Conventions
The Price We Pay
Different Mistakes
A Material Witness
At Least It's Justice
Turn the Light Off
8:30 PM
My Way
The Docks
A Beautiful Friendship
Season 2; Call It Macaroni
Get My Cigarettes
The Weigh Station
Chicken, Dynamite, Chainsaw
An Honest Woman
Prison Ball
They'll Have to Go Through Me
Assignment of the Year
Called in Dead
Shouldn't Have Been Alone
We Don't Work Together Anymore
Disco Bob
A Little Devil Complex
Erin's Mom
What Do You Do
What Puts You on That Ledge
Say Her Real Name
Get Back to Even
The Three Gs
The Number of Rats
There's My Girl
Push the Pain Away
Born Into Bad News
Season 3; Life Is Fluid
Natural Born Storyteller
Actual Physical Violence
Debts of the Past
Climbing Into Bed
You Never Know Who's Who
A Dead Kid, a Notebook and a Lot of Maybes
Forget My Name
Never Forget I Love You
Now I'm God
Knocked the Family Right Out
Looking Out for Stateville
Hit Me
The Song of Gregory William Yates
A Night Owl
The Cases That Need to Be Solved
Forty-Caliber Bread Crumb
Kasual with a K
If We Were Normal
In A Duffel Bag
Justice
She's Got Us
Start Digging
Season 4; The Silos
Made a Wrong Turn
All Cylinders Firing
Big Friends, Big Enemies
A War Zone
Some Friend
300,000 Likes
A Shot Heard Around the World
Don't Bury This Case
Don't Read the News
You Wish
Sanctuary
I Remember Her Now
Seven Indictments
Favor, Affection, Malice or Ill-Will
Emotional Proximity
Remember the Devil
Little Bit of Light
Last Minute Resistance
Grasping for Salvation
Fagin
Army of One
Fork in the Road
Season 5; Reform
The Thing About Heroes
Promise
Snitch
Home
Fallen
Care Under Fire
Politics
Monster
Rabbit Hole
Confidential
Captive
Chasing Monsters
Anthem
Sisterhood
Profiles
Breaking Point
Ghosts
Payback
Saved
Allegiance
Homecoming
Season 6; New Normal
Endings
Bad Boys
Ride Along
Fathers and Sons
True or False
Trigger
Black and Blue
Descent
Brotherhood
Trust
Outrage
Night in Chicago
Ties That Bind
Good Men
The Forgotten
Pain Killer
This City
What Could Have Been
Sacrifice
Confession
Reckoning
Season 7; Doubt
Assets
Familia
Infection
Brother's Keeper
False Positive
Informant
No Regrets
Absolution
Mercy
43rd and Normal
The Devil You Know
I Was Here
Center Mass
Burden of Truth
Intimate Violence
Before the Fall
Lines
Buried Secrets
Season 8; Fighting Ghosts
White Knuckle
Tender Age
Unforgiven
In Your Care
Equal Justice
Instinct
Protect and Serve
Impossible Dream
The Wedding
The Radical Truth
Signs of Violence
Due Process
Trouble Dolls
Safe
The Right Thing
The Other Side
Season 9; Closure
Rage
The One Next to Me
In the Dark
Burnside
End of Watch
Trust Me
Fractures
A Way Out
Home Safe
Lies

Silence of the Night

1.3K 26 3
By Writer_Reader05

Yn's POV

I was waiting for Jay by the front door of the garage of the district. We had driven in separate cars today because I had to stop by my parents' house for something this morning, and I wanted to let Jay sleep in. When he finally pulled up to the district and exited his truck, I saw that he was on the phone. By the way he was smiling when he talked, I could tell who he was having a conversation with.

"Is that Hailey?" I ask him as he joined me by the door.

"Yep. And she just asked to talk to you," Jay replied and handed me his phone.

"Hailey! I miss you so much," I tell my best friend.

"I miss you too. How's everything going?" Hailey asked me.

"Uh, good. We've solved a few major cases, put away some bad guys. You know, the usual. And of course, Adam is still a goof and everyone else is doing good. Jay is amazing, like always. Everything is perfect except for the fact that you're not here," I explain.

"I'll be home soon, and then we can head to Molly's and drown ourselves in alcohol," Hailey joked.

"I'm counting on it," I say.

"All right, well, I've got to get to work. I'll talk to you later," Hailey spoke.

"Okay. Bye, Hailey," I murmur and hang up the phone, passing it back to Jay as we joined the rest of the team in the garage.

"Take us through," Voight told Adam and Kim. 

"All right. Three months ago, an unlicensed mini Uzi was used by a deranged white male in a black church shooting. Now, luckily for us, nobody was seriously injured. A week ago, the same type of Uzi was used in a drive-by at a G-Park Lord's funeral. We got two dead. The shooter was caught, but he lawyered up," Adam informed us. 

"OCD Intel says the Uzis were stolen in Indiana and then transported into town. Our top priority target is this guy, Tony Reed, part-time biker, part-time alt-right agitator. He did two stints in Danville for meth distro before pivoting into guns. Now, Tony, he stays in the shadows and relies on these small-time punks to distribute the weapons, like this guy, JHawk261, who posted that charming photo on Instagram two days ago," Kim said. 

"And we've got Kev in play as a buyer. The plan is we bust this JHawk and get him to flip on Reed," Voight announced. 

"Yeah, I'm fronting as a big dog for the 88th Street Vipers. My vibe is, he likes selling to brothers because he feels like we're just going to wipe each other out, help his cause anyway. We've got a get-to-know-you offer for five Uzis on the table, the meeting's in two hours, and I can't wait," Kevin admitted. 

"All right, as soon as Kev makes the sale, we move in fast. He reaches for a weapon, light his ass up. Let's go," Voight ordered.

Things went bad pretty quickly. Kevin got inside the warehouse with JHawk, and things were going according to plan, until some white dude walked in. I didn't recognize him, but Adam and Voight did. His name was Tommy Doyle, and he was a cop. Apparently, on one of the cases we had that I took a break on, this dude held a gun to Kevin's head while he was undercover. So, Doyle cancelled the deal when he saw Kevin, and the only good news was that he didn't rat Kevin out.

"What the hell was that?" Kevin asked. 

"I spoke to Platt. Apparently, Area South's got Doyle working undercover with Tony Reed's crew," Adam answered.

"But Doyle's patrol," Kevin pointed out.

"He got promoted to detective," Voight said. 

"Why didn't Area South deconflict this?" Kevin questioned. 

"I'm going to talk to his sergeant right now, and believe me, I'm going to find out," Voight spoke.

........................................

"Tony Reed is the head of the snake of this gun-trafficking organization. He's elusive and cagey. Always works through an intermediary like Jeffrey Hill. That's the reason I put Doyle under with him. It was the best way to get access to Reed," Sergeant Kenny explained. 

"Hill's real loyal too. He thinks Reed is some kind of visionary. That's why I killed the bust. No way that Hill flips," Tommy said. 

"All right, so how do we get Reed to the table, then?" Voight asked. 

"Increase the size of the purchase. If it's a big enough deal, Reed will want to be there," Tommy responded. 

"Okay, good, then we have Atwater go back there with a bigger, better order, right? Say 50 weapons instead of five," Voight spoke. 

"All right. Gear up," Kenny demanded to his team.

The bust went down pretty well. Hill pulled out a gun and we surrounded and arrested him. He was currently in the interview room, not saying a word, but I bet we would get him to talk sooner or later. They always do.

"You get anything from Hill?" Voight asked. 

"Not a damn thing. He's a true believer in that racist punk Tony Reed," Tommy replied. 

"Hold on. This is the burner phone we took off of Hill. It's blowing up right now with text messages from a Blue88. It looks like Reed's hot and heavy to do this big sale with Atwater," Jay announced. 

"You got a relationship with Reed?" Voight asked Tommy. 

"Yeah, he likes me," Tommy said.

"I want you to text him back. Pretend to be Hill. Tell him you've vetted Atwater, the deal's on, only you can't make it, you know, family emergency.  Suggest you go in his place. Start texting. See if he takes the bait," Voight stated.

That deal also went well, and Reed was now in custody. We seized the Uzis off the street, meaning our case was over. I was ready to get home and relax, but Jay had other plans. As soon as we got home, and Jay turned the TV on, he smashed his lips to mine. I wanted to pull away and just rest, but my hormones got the best of me, so I kissed back. Currently, Jay was laying on the couch, an I was straddling him. Our lips were moving in sync together, and everything was good. That's when my phone buzzed from it's spot on the coffee table, and I groaned, pulling away from Jay's lips. I glanced over at my phone, and when I saw the message that Adam had sent me, my face paled.

"What is it?" Jay asked me.

"Tommy Doyle," I say. "He was just shot and killed."

............................................

"Did we get a hit on this blue sedan?" Voight asked. 

"No, but we're still working on it," Vanessa replied. 

"Well, let's work harder. We've got two cop killers in the wind," Voight reminded us. 

"I got an ID on the John Doe offender. His name is Shawn Page. Married, no priors. I also confirmed that the bullets that killed Page were fired from Doyle's gun," Adam spoke. 

"All right, so talk to Page's family, see if they know anything about the other two offenders," Voight said. 

"Um boss," I murmur. "That might be a little tricky. Her husband was just shot to death." 

"So was a Chicago police officer. I don't really care if it's tricky. Just get me some answers," Voight ordered and walked into his office.

Adam and I got into his car, and we drove to Mrs. Page's house. They were having a small get together to celebrate Shawn's life, which meant that it would be even harder to get her to talk. I followed Adam into the back room where Mrs. Page was sitting with her son and a few other women.

"Ma'am, I'm Officer Ruzek. This is Detective Ln. We'd like to ask you a few questions," Adam told Mrs. Page. 

"Excuse me? My husband's dead because y'all shot his ass. So I ain't gonna be answering any questions," Mrs. Page retorted.

"Mrs. Page, we understand how difficult this has to be. I have a fiance, and if he was killed, I'd be the same way as you. But right now we're just trying to figure out what happened, and get your husband some justice," I explain.

Mrs. Page sighed. "Amir, go with Auntie. Mama has to talk to the police." As soon as her son left, Mrs. Page turned to us. "That little boy's daddy is dead." 

"We're very sorry for that. But right now, we have to find the two men that your husband went to visit. We believe they shot and killed a Chicago police officer," Adam said. 

Mrs. Page scowled. "You're acting like it's just another day at the damn office, like somehow my husband deserved what he got." 

"No. We're not saying that," I state. 

"The hell you not! You come over to my house the day after my husband got shot for no damn reason, and you want me to help you? Your damn job cost my husband his life. And for what? He was going to visit his cousin, just going to drop off a pair of Air Jordans for his birthday. I saw that press conference. That bitch acted like Shawn was a criminal. Just another young brother who got mixed up with drugs, right? Well, that's a damn lie. Shawn was a good man, a good father. And he wasn't no damn gangbanger, so please. Let me and my family grieve in peace," Mrs. Page pleaded. 

"Ma'am," Adam started. 

"Please! Get the hell out! Get out!" Mrs. Page shouted.

"Come on, Adam," I say and take ahold of his arm. "Lets go."

.........................................

"Sarge, we got a hit on the blue sedan. Patrol saw it pulling into a house in Englewood. Both the house and the car are registered to this guy, Jamal Pierce. He's clean. No gang ties, but the house is in the middle of a Gangster Prophet stronghold," Jay informed us. 

"Is this one of the guys from the shoot-out?" Voight asked Kevin. "I'm not sure. It happened so fast," Kevin replied. 

"Yeah, well, this could be our cop killer. Get in touch with Nolan's crew. Let's grab this guy now. Ln, I want you to stay here and man the computers. Get out files on anyone that could be connected to Pierce," Voight said.

"Copy that," I mutter.

The team went out and got Jamal just as he was about to enter his house. When questioned, Jamal said that his friend Terrence was borrowing his car last night, and he was in the basement with another guy. The unit walked inside, grabbed both Terrence and the friend, and now, they were both in the interview rooms. Both Terrence and his friend confessed to shooting Tommy, but both said that Tommy pulled his gun first.

"Um, Yn? Can I talk to you?" Kevin asked me.

"Sure," I say. "What's up?" Kevin led me into the breakroom and shut the door behind us.

"I'm coming to you because I think you're the most levelheaded person in the unit. COPA, they want to talk to me about the Doyle shooting. And I'm having a hard time deciding if I should tell the truth or not," Kevin explained.

"Give me the pros and cons of each side," I tell him.

"Well, if I tell the truth, those bangers are going to walk, and Doyle's murder is going to become a justifiable homicide. However, I'm for sure going to catch heat from Doyle's family, and possibly the rest of the police force," Kevin informed me.

"And if you don't tell the truth?" I question.

"Doyle gets away with being a racist son of a bitch, and no one will find out what really happened. And cops will just continue discriminating against black men," Kevin answered.

I sighed and ran a hand over my face. "I don't want to tell you what to do Kev, but if I were you, I'd go with my gut. And if for you that means telling the truth, then so be it. I'll support you with whatever you decide to do."

"Thanks, Yn," Kevin said and gave me a hug. "I think you helped me make my decision."

That night, Kevin went to talk to COPA, and I found out that he decided to tell the truth. I was glad that he had chosen the path he wanted. If he was going to stand up to the racist side of the police force, then I was going to stand alongside him.

"There is no right or wrong, Kev. You did what you had to do, what you felt was right. I mean, I can't make any promises on how this is going to play out, but I'll tell you one thing. Adam and Yn and I and all of Intelligence, bro, we got your back no matter what," Voight spoke. 

"That means a lot, Sarge," Kevin responded. 

"Here's to having the guts to tell the truth. To tell your truth," Adam said and raised his shot glass. 

"I'll drink to that. To Kevin's truth," I announce and clink my glass to Adam, Kevin, and Voight's.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 1.6K 32
The newest member of intelligence seems like a sweet and caring addition, but when jay stumbles across her record he starts to lose trust in her...
159K 3.2K 37
After Erin left the unit a month ago jay had been stuck with no partner since hank couldn't find a suitable match for the team, that was until a cert...
185K 4.3K 52
In which Riley Mitchell starts working at the 21st District the night after a one night stand with a random man. Turns out that the man wasn't so ra...
121K 2.3K 47
A case seems to spiral downwards only to find itself becoming personal to the intelligence unit... -Chicago PD-