Just Friends || h.s.

By alostbookworm

PREVIOUSLY NAMED "TENSION" ~Nothing is louder than the silence between two people who used to be so in love w... More

Just Friends
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
42.5
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2

21

2K 43 4
By alostbookworm

***Song: #icanteven by The Neighbourhood

• • •
Madison

Acting normal around Harry seemed almost impossible.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to act like myself. I would find myself smiling more around him, and I would get a warm feeling all over my body, and it all terrified me because I knew that feeling.

I have come to terms with the fact that my old feelings for him are returning and I had no idea what to do about it except freak the hell out.

"Maddie!" Riley broke me from my very deep and irritating thoughts, making me look away from the blank screen of my phone and up at her.

"Sorry." I apologized, putting my phone down on the couch and paying attention to her. "What were you saying?"

She stared at me in concern, ignoring my question. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't they be?" I asked casually, switching from laying on my stomach to laying on my back with my legs hanging over the back of the couch.

"For one, you have been zoning in and out for the past hour; and two, you're biting the insides of your cheeks." She pointed out.

I didn't even realize I was doing that until she said it, so I immediately stopped and covered my face with my hands. "I'm fine. I'm just stressed about...the wedding." I say through a sigh, hoping she will buy it.

As much as I wanted to tell her about my epiphany, it felt wrong to tell another person about that morning with Harry. I felt guilty enough with just myself knowing, and if I could take back telling Nick, I would. I just couldn't risk having another person knowing because then that would be another person that could tell Harry.

"What about it?"

"I don't know...walking down the aisle with my escort. I mean, it's my dad's wedding. I want it to go well." I replied with a sigh.

"I understand that. Who's your escort?" She continued to ask, setting her phone down and paying more attention.

"I think Louis is since he's one of the groomsmen." I tell her, remembering my conversation with Faith at the dress fitting.

"Is Zayn gonna be staying at your house?" I asked curiously since Zayn was her date.

"Probably. Is Harry riding with you tomorrow or with us?"

"Whoever he wants to ride with." I shrugged nonchalantly, praying he would want to ride with them. If I can't control myself for five minutes, I don't know how I'll manage for two hours.

I wouldn't really have a problem if he were to come with me, I was just afraid I would end up saying something stupid, and two hours is a very large open window for that opportunity.

"Eh, we will ask him when the guys get here."

"They are coming?" I asked, pretending to act casual about it when really I was going to slap her for not telling me before I got here.

"Mhm. Harry didn't really want to but I told him you were here so he might." She answered, looking down at her phone with a grin, glancing up at me to see my reaction.

I tried to refrain from smiling at the thought of Harry only coming because I was here, and I knew Riley was resting my reaction, but I didn't give her that satisfaction.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I have to go soon anyways." I say, checking my watch for the time, frowning when I saw it was only seven.

"Why?" She questioned, getting up from the other couch and adjusting her bra.

"I'm meeting Adam to help him study for his last mid-term." I informed. I still had an hour till then, so I guess I had to suck it up until I leave.

"You've got time so sit your ass down." She demanded playfully. "You know, for someone who turned him down, you seem to hang out with him a lot."

"He's a nice guy and we are friends. He needed help so why not?" I shrugged before flipping her off. "And I already am sitting down."

She just flipped me off right back, walking over the front door. I didn't even hear anyone knock, but maybe that's because all the blood was rushing to my head from being upside down for too long. That didn't make me sit up though.

"Hello, ladies." Zayn's voice echoed the apartment.

A quiet thumping on the ground got louder, and I realize someone was skipping towards the living room. Fixing my glasses, I see the same adorable man that has been raiding my mind for days, skipping up to the couch with a grin that I couldn't help but smile when I saw.

"Someone's happy." I say in amusement.

"And someone is upside down." He replied enthusiastically. I crossed my eyes when his finger poked the tip of my nose, making him chuckle when I scrunched my face up.

"That I am." I confirmed playfully. "What's got you in a good mood?"

"Nothing. Can I be happy without having a reason?" His dimples came to show when he shrugged.

"Nope." I replied shortly.

He just shook his head and lowered himself so his head was at the same level as mine. "Why are you upside down?"

"Can I be upside down without having a reason?" I countered, using his words.

He raised an eyebrow while standing back up and sucking in his lip. "Touché."

"Hey Mads." Louis greeted, pushing my feet over the back of the couch so I end up rolling onto the floor with a groan as my back hit the ground.

"I'm gonna kick your ass, man." I wheezed, holding my arm as I rolled onto my side, Harry crouching down and asking if I was okay, which earned a small nod from me.

Louis cupped a hand over his mouth and stifled a laugh. "I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd fall off."

I just gave him the finger as Harry put a hand in my back, helping me sit up. I ignored the same annoying ass feeling in the pit of my stomach when his hand touched my own to pull me back up to my feet, the blood rushing out of my head and back into my body.

"Harry, are you going to ride with me, Lou, and Zayn to London or do you want to ride with Maddie?" Riley asked him as she promised earlier.

After Harry helped me sit on the couch, he sat down next to me and turned to Riley. "I'm not sure." He then turned to me with a questioning stare. "Is Nick going with you?"

"No, he's gonna drive down there on his own." I answered.

"So you'll be driving two hours alone?" Zayn asked me.

"I mean, yeah. I've done it a million times." I answered, hiding my nerves because knowing the amazing guy he is, Harry will offer to ride with me for safety so I wouldn't be alone if something were to happen.

"I'll go with you if you want. You shouldn't be driving that long alone. What if something happens?" Harry jumped in with worry. I called it.

"You don't have to, Harry. I've driven to London alone plenty of times." I reassured, but he wouldn't budge.

"I want to. Besides, it would be better than sitting in a car with those three." He says, showing his disgust as he glances at Zayn, Riley and Louis, making me chuckle.

"Okay, fine. You can ride with me." I gave in with a smile. I knew he was going to end up in my car so there is no use getting upset or annoyed over it. Besides, it won't be that bad because it definitely beats driving alone. A road trip in a car with Harry can't be boring because I already know he loves talking and cracking terrible jokes that I end up laughing at anyway.

Just when I thought I was starting to be normal around Harry again, he threw his arm around my shoulder in an attempt to hug me in the position we were in. Not knowing what else to do, I pat his arm before standing up to leave.

"I have to go meet Adam now but I'll see you guys tomorrow before we leave." I said, avoiding Harry's burning stare on me and walking towards the door.

"Adam? Isn't that the guy you went on a date with?" Zayn questioned, glancing over at Harry weirdly.

"Yeah, he needs help studying for his final so I offered." I briefly explained as I put my shoes on. "Later, dudes."

"Later." Zayn waved. I waved back to them before slipping out the front door with a sigh.

Those two hours with Harry tomorrow will either be really good or really bad.

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 45.7K 80
It's hard to resist a bad boy who is a good man.
1.2M 43.6K 40
Being the biggest fangirl in her home state, Valerie Anderson writes fan-fiction constantly. She just completed a Harry Styles one, when the totally...
571K 15.6K 60
"I'm scared Harry!" I shout, finding some courage to voice my concerns. "Why? Tell me what scares you Maci and we can work through it, together," Ha...
160K 4.7K 48
Fate. A word so few believe to be real. The world is a place where fate may seem coincidental, but it is real. Times have changed, the world evolvin...