I Never Know How Much I've Lo...

By -lightningflash

17 year old high school detective Kudo Shinichi fell in love with the amateur magician Kuroba Kaito. But he's... More

Introduction
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

211 12 0
By -lightningflash

I woke up the next day feeling relaxed. This has been the first time since forever to have a restful night. I wonder if it's because of thinking about Kaito? Wait-, no, he's a friend and nothing more.

Just then, I heard a ping. I turned and took out my phone to see Kaito's message.

Good morning Shin-chan! Hope you've slept well! I was thinking about going on a double date with you and your girlfriend. What do you think?

A double date? Sounds good.

Sure. What time though?

How about after school?

Will do! Text me when you're free?

You bet! Alright, I've got to go. Bye Shin-chan!

Bye. Have a good day Kaito!

I got out of bed with a happy smile.

Suddenly, I heard a very familiar voice outside.

"Shinichi? Time to get up! I'm coming in!"

That was my girlfriend Mouri Ran. Her and I are childhood friends and we grew up together. Her and I have been dating since last year. At first everything was fine until all of a sudden, I felt like I've lost feelings for her. I've thought about breaking up with her but looks like it'll have to wait another time since today will be a double date.

"Sure! Come in!" I called out from upstairs. The door was opened and after a few thuds of footsteps, she appeared in front of me.

"You're...... Up early Shin." She observed.

"Well, I've slept well. First time that I've slept through the night since ages."

"I think it's time that you rest properly through the night you detective otaku." She scolded. I only gave her a face of apology in return.

"It can't be helped. Megure keibu and all of the police force depends on me. It's only a way of survival and it's my main income supply."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. But I can see a hint of sadness in her violet orbs. "I understand that to be honest. I just worry that our relationship wasn't as close as it used to be like when we were kids."

I wanted to break it to her right now that I wanted to be separated when I realised that this would not be a good idea since I have a double date with Kaito. I sighed. Well, guess I'll have to do it later.

"You know, someone asked me out on a double date with his girlfriend." I begin. Immediately Ran's eyes lit up.

"Really? Who is it?"

So I explained how me and Kaito met and how he invited me over for dinner while in the same time trying to cook. Ran helped too as she listened intensely, nodding occasionally to what I had to say. At last she spoke.

"Well, this Kuroba Kaito sounded very interesting. I'd love to meet him!"

I smiled at that.

"He's more than interesting if you get to know him personally. You have no idea how much I felt understood in all those years!"

I noticed a change of emotion on Ran's end, so I quickly added. "As a guy's friend of course!"

I can tell she knows I'm lying knowing how long she's known me. But somehow she overlooked it. I was a bit surprised myself.

"Oh it's fine! I understand. I'm excited to meet him too! When is the date?"

I told her it's after school. She nodded and was lost in thought. The whole entire morning was awkward with neither of us saying anything. When we got to school, the awkwardness got more intense when another one of my childhood friend Sonoko decided to rub off on it more.

"Yo, good morning love birds!" Was her comment the minute she greeted me and Ran. I secretly cringed and I hoped the little bit of reaction escaped Ran's sharp eyes. To my relieve, she didn't notice.

"Geez, give her some space Sonoko." I said, only trying to help Ran when I saw how uncomfortable she looked.

"It's fine Shin. It's fine." She dismissed it with a quiet voice before walking ahead of me and Sonoko. The Suzuki heiress seemed a bit confused.

"Ne Shinichi-kun, something happened to Ran this morning? She seemed different somehow..... "

"Well, I don't really know. She's been like this ever since I woke up this morning. Maybe something's troubling her."

I lied. I know exactly why she's being unusual. I had lost feelings for her and it can't be helped that our relationship felt like normal friends than people madly in love.

Sonoko only frowned for a second before shrugging it off.

"Well, it happens. Maybe something's bothering her. Why don't you go help her as her husband?" She teased. I sighed and shook my head.

"Don't call us that. And no, I think I'd like to leave her be unless I want to become her beanbag."

"Geez, you're hopeless!" With that, she ran up ahead and caught up with Ran. The two chatted quietly as I trailed behind then, just a few steps away. Soon, Ran was laughing and I felt immediately relaxed. Perhaps she was not upset at my response this morning.

The day was long and exhausting. By the time class got out, I can barely think. But the thought of having a double date definitely cheered me up. Ran seemed to be happy too. I was walking out of the gate with Ran when I heard a ping. I took out my phone.

Hey Shin-chan! School is over for us! Are you guys done too?

Yeah. We're done too. Where are we meeting up?

Well, to make things easier for you guys, I decided to ride the train over to the Beika park. Where you guys are. I know how exhausted you and your girlfriend are so we decided to do the coming over so you wouldn't have to. We just got on the train and it's probably going to take 30 minutes to get there so if you two have time, you should refresh yourselves before meeting me and my girlfriend. How's that sound?

That would be wonderful. These school uniform of mine is definitely a drag to a perfect date 😂

Alright then! I'll see you later! Can't wait to see you and to meet your girlfriend!

I showed the messaged to Ran. She was amused.

"Well, he sure does sound interesting. What are you waiting for? Let's go get changed before they get here before us!"

So Ran and I went back home on two different paths. While walking, I did a lot of thinking. How should I break it to her that I don't love her anymore? It can't be after today. She'll feel devastated if I do. But if I don't, people will continue misunderstand my protectiveness over her as a friend for romance. Should I really do it?

Before long, I arrived in front of my house. I quickly changed into some relaxing outfit. I was about to go out of the door when I heard my phone buzz. I took it out and I saw Ran's message.

Are you ready Shin?

Of course! You outside of your house?

Yeah

I'll come and pick you up. Then we can go from there.

Sounds good!

I rushed over to the Mouri's Detective Agency to see Ran looking very beautiful. I smiled but not necessarily feeling breathless like those cheesy romance movies had shown.

"You ready?" I asked.

"Of course!"

We went to the park Kaito had indicated. Soon, in the distance, I saw a person with messy hair walking hand in hand with a girl who looked close to Ran. Except she also have messy hair.

"Oi Shin-chan!" He waved and I waved back. Ran followed after me to greet them.

"Hello Kaito! How was the ride here?" I asked.

"Eh, it was kind of noisy. People were pretty rude pushing and squeezing me and Aoko. It was tightly packed. Who knows so many people got off of work around that time too." He wrinkled his nose, as if he still smelt the sweats of these people on the train.

His girlfriend only smiled apologetically. "You must excuse Bakaito. He had been complaining about this ever since we got off. Forgive him of his manners. My name is Nakamouri Aoko. Nice to meet you!"

She bowed to me as I nodded "My name is Kudo Shinichi". I introduced. Ran stuck out her hand. "My name is Mouri Ran. Nice to meet you!" She smiled. "And you must be the Kuroba Kaito Shin told me about!"

Aoko shook Ran's hand while Kaito made a red rose appear out of nowhere. "Nice to meet you, beautiful miss. And yes, my name is indeed Kuroba Kaito. Looks like Shin-chan had told you much about me~"

The way he talked with Ran made me jealous. Not because I worry that he'll take Ran away from him. But rather the opposite. I was afraid that he likes Ran more than me. But my worries only lasted a few moments.

He took out a blue rose and bowed as he handed it to me. "How can I forget my favorite detective? Here's a blue rose. It matches the color of your eyes and it compliments you perfectly. Please accept this humble present."

I blushed. I hoped Ran didn't see it. Worse yet, his girlfriend. I hope my acting skill was enough to fool them.

Aoko rolled her eyes. She seemed used to Kaito giving out roses to random people he just met. Ran only watched in amazement as her rose poofed into a cool and refreshing drink.

"Today was kind of hot. How could you not notice your girlfriend's needs? That's not cool Meitantei~" Kaito said as he winked at me. I looked away in embarrassment. Mainly because his wink.

"W-well, I was worried about the time since by the time me and Ran got here it was already late and I didn't have time so that's why I didn't have the time to."

They laughed. But soon this had been forgotten. The three of us had fun. Night drew closer, Kaito noticed if they don't go back in time they'll miss the train. So they said a hurried good bye before disappearing in the night. On the way back home, Ran and I walked in silence. Something seemed to be bothering her. I got concerned so I brought it up.

"You okay Ran?"

"Do you still love me?"

The question froze me in my spot. The dreaded question eventually came.

"I..... Wanted to tell you this for a long time but never got to tell you. To be honest, not as much anymore as when we first started dating. Now I just love you...... As a friend."

She sighed.

"Yeah. I know. From the way you talked to Kuroba-kun it was obvious that you liked him more than me."

"But it's not like it seems, I can explain Ran!"

"You're a terribly liar Shinichi."

I was silent.

"I can see how excited you looked every time Kuroba-kun's name had been mentioned. You seemed all of a sudden happy and alive. While with me, you looked like I'm a burden to be taken care of....... "

I couldn't see the look on her face. But I think she had tears in her eyes.

"Ran. It's not true. I do love you. Just not as a girlfriend. More like a younger sibling or a friend that I have to protect. I'm sorry if I didn't tell you sooner and I waited until now. I know it's been painful for you..... And I'm sorry for that."

"I think I'll go home from here. Thank you Shinichi. This is the last meaningful date I'll remember. I wish you happiness. Good night."

She turned around and smiled. Her face looked especially fragile and delicate under the soft moonlight. I want to embrace her, but she took a step away and walked past me. I swear I could've heard a sniff before she disappeared into the depth of the night.

My heart was heavy by the time I got back home. Was it a good choice for me to do that to Ran? I went to bed with a troubled heart, in hopes that I'll sleep away the trouble.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

499K 14.5K 61
Silent, unforgiving and strikingly gorgeous, Rylan Parker is a cold-hearted businessman. An intimidating CEO, perfectly fitted in tailored suits and...
507K 1.5K 11
Fun wlw sex. Different kinks and stuff, all about trying things. May even include potential plot lines and will definitely include some form after ca...
543K 25.8K 31
He's a blind mafia man, the heir who lost his eyesight. She's a kindhearted girl whose job is to take care of him. Will the two of them find their wa...
1.3M 69.9K 59
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐨𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...