Fatal Attractions - A TVD Fan...

By arrow_to_the_heart

In which a girl with a marred past moves in with her cousins and finds out just what Mystic Falls is really a... More

Prologue
1. My New Home
2. Too Much Attention
3. An Uninvited Nuisance
4. Hypnotized
6. Overprotective
7. A Second Chance
8. One Wild Night
9. A Whole New World
10. Help All Around
11. Dangerous Territory
12. Hush, Hush
13. The Growing Threat
14. Unusual Oddities
15. Real or Not Real?
16. Discomfort
17. Troubles
18. Sleepwalker
19. The Only Way
20. Ready or Not, Here It Comes
Epilogue

5. Breaking Free

1.8K 52 14
By arrow_to_the_heart

5. Breaking Free

            Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline were determined to keep tabs on Trevor, all while keeping me away from him. I really didn't like that; considering he'd suspect something was up if he didn't see me with the girls. I went to the Grill less, and when I went out to the Town Square to get some air, I had to be accompanied by Elena, Caroline, or Bonnie. I felt like I was being babysat. It was like they were expecting me to try and evade them so I could sneak off to see Trevor.

            I'd admit, I had thought about doing that so many times, but definitely not at night. Of course, the times I wanted to sneak out of the house, Elena had Jeremy babysit me. Yes, she even told Jeremy about the incident. Apparently he had a right to know what was going on with his cousin just as much as Elena did. He was on the same page as the girls were: Trevor was suspicious; they were to keep tabs on him while I was to not speak or see him ever again. I understood why they were protecting me and all, but it felt overbearing. I felt like I was being smothered.

            It had been about a week and a half since the incident at the Gilbert household. It was mid September now. The temperatures were finally starting to drop, and it was finally beginning to feel and look like fall. Some of the trees' leaves were starting to morph their colors.

            I grumpily clomped down the stairs. My morale had really been down in the dumps ever since I got under the witness protection program founded by Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline. I wanted to air out on my own, but I couldn't be trusted. They knew that if I was given that freedom, I'd bolt the first chance I'd get and go hunt for Trevor. Well, I couldn't help it if the guy kept popping into my dreams.

            Yes, the shady guy who they'd told me to keep away from kept invading my mind at night. Of course, it was nothing like the first time he starred in my dreams. These times were much more different and more...enjoyable—that seemed to be a good way to put it. They all pertained to the same thing: Trevor and I being able, spending some quality time together. No Elena or Bonnie or Caroline to take me away from him—just a simple dream that involved me falling for the mysterious, sexy guy, and even getting a kiss or two from him.

 I never told anyone about those dreams; they'd hold an intervention for me if I did. Knowing those girls, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

            "Morning," Elena chirped the moment I stepped into the kitchen. I just yawned and ignored her. She knew I wasn't happy with her. Bonnie, Jeremy, and Caroline all knew it, too. I was just waiting for Tyler and Stefan to join the program, and possibly even Damon as well. Ugh, that man. I still couldn't stand him even though I only met him once since my stay here in Mystic Falls.

            "I'm glad you didn't say 'good morning,'" I mumbled, stretching. "So...am I given freedom today or not?"

            "No, you're under house arrest today."

            "I still think being confined to the house is a little extreme," I protested, ruffling my dirty blonde bed head. "I mean, you guys could easily keep us at a distance from each other. This is on the border of unnecessary."

            "To you, yes, but to us it's not."

            "I feel like a prisoner, Elena!" I whined dramatically. "I can't be cooped up here forever! I want to get out by myself and enjoy a day out. Is that too much to ask for?"

            "For you, yes. Look, I'm going out grocery shopping, so Jeremy's going to be watching you again."

            I groaned.

            "Ah, that's not true," Jer chimed in. I jumped aside as he dragged himself into the kitchen. "I can't skip work again. I've used up all my days. I don't want to get fired, Elena. And no offense, Faith, but I'd rather not get fired all because I have to watch you to make sure you don't escape the house."

            "None taken, Jer," I said happily. I smirked at Elena. There was no way Caroline or Bonnie would watch me. They'd have better things to do, like Caroline could be with Tyler, and Bonnie...hmm, I wasn't sure what Bonnie could do that would beat having to keep me under her watch. I would think anything would beat babysitting an eighteen-year-old.

            "Hmm, okay," Elena mumbled. "I've got a new plan: I'll take the house key and Faith's car key, that way she won't escape."

            "I still say this is a form of cruelty," I complained. "You might as well send me to prison."

            "It's a form of safety."

            "To you and the others, yes, but to me it's ridiculous." I crossed my arms irritably.

            An hour later, Elena and Jeremy left, leaving me locked in the house. I thought I could unlock the door from the inside, but apparently the front door was whacky to where it locked on the outside. I bet the locks got changed just because of me, I thought bitterly. Such an unnecessary change, just like being trapped in the house was an unnecessary thing.

            Pursing my lips, I roamed around the house, already bored. I knew there could be so many things I could do: clean (hell no), have music playing and dance or sing, or get a shower and dressed (but there was no point in that since I was going nowhere).

There was absolutely nothing to do in this house. I needed to get out.

            I needed to escape.

*      *      *

            It was about noon when I heard an odd noise. I was lying on the couch, and it sounded like it was coming from the front door. I sat up cautiously, sliding off the couch. Maybe Elena and Jeremy were home early. I wish. I need some company. I need some form of socialization. Elena should really get me a phone. I never really had a phone, so I could never text people and whatnot.

            "Elena?" I called. There was no answer. I crept closer to the door, pressing my ear against it. I pursed my lips. The sound was definitely on the other side of the door. I listened even more. It sounded like—like someone was picking the lock on the door.

            I wasn't sure whether to be happy or concerned about this. Picking the lock would give me freedom, but if it was someone who was a threat to me, then it wouldn't be such a good thing. In my mind I prayed it wasn't someone that was out to get me—if there was anyone who was out to get me.

            The moment I heard the door click, I jumped away from it. The door swung open, and I was ready to flee into the kitchen for a knife. But once I saw who it was, I couldn't have been happier to see him! I hadn't seen him in so long. He haunted my dreams—in a good way.

            Trevor.

            "Hi," I said breathlessly.

            "Hey yourself," he chuckled. I blushed.

            "What are you doing here?" I put my hands behind my back.

            "Well, I hadn't seen you for a while and I figured I'd stop by and see what was going on."

            "How do you know where I live?"

            "You live with Elena Gilbert; most people here know where she lives."

            "Oh." That's a little creepy. "And how did you pick the lock?"

            "Bobby pin." He held up the little thing. I shook my head at him, cracking a smile. Trevor was crafty; I had to give him that. "Anyway, I've got a lot of questions for you."

            "So do I, but—" I looked out past Trevor. Outside. Fresh air. Freedom.

Trevor noticed my longing gaze past him and laughed. "You haven't seen the outside much, have you?"

            "Not really. I can explain all that."

            "Well, explain it when we get there."

            "Get where? Where are we going?"

            "Somewhere." He grinned. "Get dressed, unless you prefer to go out like you are."

            I realized that I was still in my nightwear: cotton shorts and a purple camisole. A little embarrassed, I dashed upstairs, changing quickly. My heart was about ready to burst with joy. I was escaping confinement! I didn't care what the girls said about him, I wanted his company. He was the closest thing to the outside world that I had right now.

            Today was my lucky day.

            The moment I got out the door, my jaw dropped. How come I never heard its engine purr? Right in front of me was a sleek black motorcycle. This day was getting better and better with each second.

Could my luck get any better? I hoped so.

            "You look like you've never seen a motorcycle before," Trevor chuckled.

            "Are you seriously going to take me away on this?"

            "Yeah. Of course, you're wearing the helmet. I don't want you to get hurt."

            "What a gentleman." I laughed.

            Trevor clambered on first, and then I got situated behind him. I strapped on the helmet, Trevor made sure it was tight on me. When he started the engine, I jumped. I'd heard the roar of a motorcycle before, but being on one was a whole other experience. It felt exhilarating already, and we hadn't even started moving yet.

            "You okay back there?" Trevor yelled.

            "Never better. A little nervous, though," I admitted.

            "You'll be fine. Just don't let go."

            "I wouldn't dream of it."

            I latched onto Trevor firmly, making sure I wasn't going to fly off the bike and land on the road. When Trevor knew I was secure around him, he launched the bike to life, and away we went.

*      *      *

            The bike ride to Trevor's destination was the most amazing thing I had ever done. I had never gone so fast before in all my life. The trees went by us in blurs, colors blended together, creating a beautiful, blurry picture. I laughed, feeling the adrenaline course through my veins. Adrenaline was a foreign feeling for my body. All my body knew was grief and anxiety, with a tad bit of happiness here and there.

            It seemed like a short ride when we started slowing down. I felt hyped up now. The view before me was beautiful—a large lake separating two sections of woods. Trevor knew how to really pick places.

            I hopped off the motorcycle, tossing my hair once I got the helmet off my head. A huge grin was on my face. I couldn't help it if I felt happy.

            "Nice view, isn't it?" Trevor asked as I set the helmet on the seat of the bike.

            "Yeah. Amazing."

            We took seats near the edge of the lake. I inhaled the fresh air, taking in the sounds. The gentle winds tickled the grass and my skin, the birds chirped in the trees and in the sky, the soft babbling of the water lurked just in front of me. This was such an ideal, placid place to be.

            I wished Elena had this type of scenery in her backyard.

            "So...what's been up with you?" Trevor asked, breaking the silence.

            "Not much. I've been trapped inside the house, as you saw," I reported. I snorted. "It's funny, really. I'm only being kept there because of you."

            "Why me?"

            "It's silly." I shook my head, fiddling with stray strands of grass near my fingers.

            "Tell me."

            "My friends think there's something...off about you," I said carefully. "Like they think you're hiding something. They've been keeping me away from you because they don't trust you."

            "So locking you up is a way of keeping you from me? That's a bit extreme." Trevor lolled his head back to let the sun tan it.

            "I kept telling them that, but they don't see it that way," I huffed. "So what've you been doing without seeing me every time you're at the Grill?"

            "Just wandering around, doing the usual things I do." Trevor shrugged. "You know...I always thought you hated me, Faith."

            "Why?" I looked at him, startled.

            "You lashed out at me. You were uncomfortable around me."

            "I'm not now."

            "Why?" he pressed.

            "I don't know." I looked out at the lake. "You make me feel a lot of different things, Trevor. Whether it's hate or"—I looked into his blue eyes—"something...else."

            "'Something else'?" His eyebrows rose.

 Damn it. Me and my babbling. Stupid, stupid, stupid!  "Sorry, that was me babbling." I laughed nervously. "Umm, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

            "Sure."

            "Almost two weeks ago, Elena and I had a sleepover at our house. We heard a noise, so she and Caroline went out to investigate. Caroline claimed that—that she saw you sneaking around the house. Were you there?" I probed carefully.

            Trevor laughed. "No way. I think you're blonde friend is really blonde."

            "That's mean!" I slapped his arm. "So you're saying you weren't around the house that night?"

            "Faith, I don't stalk people. I don't stalk you."

            "Funny, that's what the girls think you're doing."

            "Well, they're wrong." He scooted closer to me. I could see my reflection in his pupils. "I observe my surroundings, and some things just stand out to me...like you."

            "Oh, it's because I'm new, isn't it?" I joked. "Everybody notices the new girl."

            "Not just that," he said smartly. "You're different. You've got mysteries of your own. Many might not see it, but I can. You're insecure, afraid to trust other people because of what you're haunted by."

            "They said not to trust you."

            "Forget them, Faith. I haven't hurt you, and I won't." His hand carefully covered mine.

I glanced down at the contact. It felt nice. When I looked up, our eyes met. I lost my breath getting lost in his eyes. It was like I was frozen still. Trevor didn't break eye contact with me, but he slowly leaned down. My heart was beating eagerly. I didn't know what to do. My mind was stuck, and so was my body.

            Just let it happen. I like him anyway. Screw what the others think. Trevor isn't dangerous. I knew the others would kill me for this, but they wouldn't if they never knew.

            A funny odor entered my nose, I wrinkled it. I hadn't smelled something like this before. The unfamiliar odor puzzled me.

            "Umm, odd question: why do you smell funny?" I asked.

            "What?"

            "Are you wearing cologne or something? I can smell it."

            "I only put a hint on, and you're ruining the moment."

            "Sorry, I couldn't resist asking the question."

            I closed my eyes, flinching when the bridge of Trevor's nose brushed mine. I let out a shaky breath. So close...so close...

            The moment was ruined by the sound of tires, an engine cutting off, and a car door slamming. 

**The one time Faith actually sees freedom, and someone is coming to ruin it. Read on to find out who's the moment ruiner!**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2.3K 44
Alexandra has finally reached the point where she's becoming independent. With her and her bestfriend, Eleanor, moving to the town called Mystic Fal...
44.3K 1.6K 154
In the town of mystic falls it's always been a quaint town but what some people don't know is that for decades it has been the home of supernatural b...
431K 7K 28
After dealing with the tomb vampires in Mystic Falls, Ally and all of her friends finally feel things can go back to normal. But when Katherine retur...
31.6K 940 54
Cimorelli move to Mysitc falls because they get signed to a record company there but when they meet the Salvatore brothers and there love interest El...