Eleos (Book two in The Empath...

By SammyJW37

Lucy and her friends have managed to break down the power that locked the gates back into Eleos and now they... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Four

38 4 0
By SammyJW37

Later that evening, Lucy stood alone on a wide stone balcony, looking out over Eleos in a daze. It was the first time in hours that she had managed to catch a moment alone.

During the celebration in the courtyard, Lucy and her friends had been introduced to so many people that her mind was swimming with names and faces.

Everyone had wanted to meet them – to meet the kids who were so powerful, that they had managed to break open not one, but all of the gates back into Eleos.

As much as she was thankful for their kindness and enthusiasm, all she had wanted to do was find a nice, quiet spot to clear her mind. Crowds made her nervous at the best of times, but a crowd whose attention was focused completely on her and her friends was far too much.

Now though, with the gift of the night air brushing against her face and the gentle hum of people talking comfortably together inside, Lucy felt at ease.

It was impossible for everyone who had come back to Eleos to stay in the castle, so most had decided to return to their old homes to begin the task of cleaning up.

Even now, Lucy could see people moving from building to building on the streets below, lanterns in hand to light their way. She could see people exchanging goods amidst joyous laughter, and children running between them, their giggles echoing across the city.

Warm, flickering light could be seen from cottage windows – broken or otherwise, and the smell of delicious meals wafted along on the breeze. The city was alive, and the air practically tingled with bliss.

Lucy's heart thudded in her chest, swelling with pride that they were at least a part of the reason why so many wonderfully happy people were now going about their lives in a home they had missed for so long.

There was only one small thing that chipped away at that joy, and that was knowing that her parents would not be here to see it.

"Do not be sad, child."

Lucy spun around to face Cora, who stood only a few steps away.

"I'm sorry," Cora said. "I didn't mean to frighten you." She spoke slowly, her voice smooth and comforting.

Lucy took a deep breath. "No, no, it's fine."

Cora smiled. "You were thinking of your parents, just now?"

Lucy nodded sadly.

Cora crossed the balcony to stand beside Lucy, facing out to look over the city. "They were wonderful young people, your parents. And strong. Very strong." Her eyes drifted over the world in front of them. "The things your mother could do with the power." She smiled and turned her gaze on Lucy. "She was quite amazing. You remind me of her, although you do look a lot like your father."

Lucy looked out into the night sky, trying to picture her parents when they were young. The pain in her chest throbbed and she reached up to press her hand against it. "I miss them so much," she whispered.

Cora gently took Lucy's hands in hers. "I know you do," she replied. "But you must remember that they will always be with you. Even now, they are watching over you, and they are so very proud."

Lucy thought back to the last time she saw her parents, before they had both disappeared into the night. Although it had been sad to say goodbye, her parents were happy in that moment.

"And they still are," Cora said, answering Lucy's thoughts.

"How do you know for sure?" Lucy asked.

Cora smiled at Lucy in a way that made her eyes twinkle with mischief. "I have my ways."

Lucy smiled back, unable to resist Cora's intoxicating presence and wondering how someone who had seemed so intimidating at first, someone who held all of the wisdom of this world within her, could suddenly feel so familiar?

"Can they see us?" Lucy asked. "From wherever it is that they are?"

Again, Cora smiled. "Of course, child. They will watch over you and your brother for as long as you both live. They will be there to guide and assist you whenever you need them."

Lucy took a deep breath, waiting as the pain in her chest subsided. "Whenever we need them?" she repeated.

Cora nodded silently.

As Lucy settled, her mind turned to other questions she had. "Cora?" she continued, wondering where to start.

"Yes, Lucy?" Cora replied – her expression was open, her eyes bright.

"When you first met me, met us," she turned to look back into the room at her friends, "you already knew who we were. How is that possible?"

"What an excellent question to begin with," Cora replied, folding her hands at her waist. She took her time, glancing back into the room behind them before looking back at Lucy with a smile. "I have been around for quite some time," she began, making Lucy wonder just how old she actually was. "Before we were locked out of Eleos, I was an elder. I suppose I still am," she continued, placing her hand on the stone balustrade. She surveyed the city, a hint of sadness showing in her expression.

Lucy felt that sadness brush across her skin.

"One of the greatest gifts we learn as we grow older is how to communicate and reach out to other Empaths by psychic connection, and as elders, our connection is so much stronger. It is how I'm able to reach into your mind to speak to you."

Lucy remembered all too well the shock of hearing Cora's voice in her head.

"That connection also allows me to find other Empaths, no matter how far away they may be." She smiled and winked at Lucy. "The more powerful the Empath, the easier they are to find. You and your friends stood out like bright stars in the night sky, it was quite incredible. Once you began using your powers, you appeared to me right away. You popped right into my head like someone had turned on a light switch in my mind – brilliant and so very vivid." She chuckled then. "It was quite a shock, let me tell you." She took a breath and continued. "I've been keeping an eye on your group's progress over the past few months and I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am to have such talented young people here now. What a wonderful time we are going to have, learning and growing together."

Warmth flowed out of Cora, washing over Lucy like sunshine, all traces of sadness gone now. She was genuinely excited and Lucy could feel every bubble of joy drifting out into the night.

Cora reached out and took Lucy's hands in hers again. "What else would you like to know?"

Lucy laughed. "I wouldn't even know where to start," she replied.

Cora laughed with her. "That is understandable." She gave Lucy's hands a gentle squeeze. "Shall we go and join the others for now. We will have plenty of time to talk later, when everyone has settled in. And I'm sure your friend Riley will know where to start, anyway." She looked at Lucy and winked.

Lucy grinned, nodded, and followed Cora back inside to join her friends.

This particular room in the castle must once have been used for banquets or parties because it was wide and long with a glass ceiling that seemed to drift off into the sky.

Large, heavy wooden tables lined the edges of the space with silver high-backed chairs facing inwards.

The centre of the room was cleared – a space made just for dancing. The floors were covered with stones in a multitude of colours, arranged into the shape of flowers. Right in the middle of the ceiling hung a massive glass chandelier, lit up by hundreds of tiny flames that flickered in place, making the light skip across the walls of the vast room.

Their friends and families were milling around, talking in small groups. Lucy could see Riley and Lilith on the far side of the room, closest to the exit door, just itching to explore the castle.

Jared and Rachel were sitting at one of the tables with Rachel's parents. Emily was talking animatedly about something, while Rachel and Jared listened on with interest.

Lucy scanned the room.

"He's just over there, by the window," Cora said with a smile, pointing to where Tristan was standing, waiting for Lucy.

"Thank you," Lucy said before quickly rushing over to join Tristan. She wrapped her arms around him and pressed her head to his chest, listening to the gentle sound of his heartbeat.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he rubbed her back.

"Good," she replied. "Really good. Maybe a little tired, but nothing that can't be easily fixed. Today has been amazing."

"It has," he replied simply. "What was it like, talking with Cora?"

Lucy pulled her head away from his chest to look up at him. She bit her lip. "Hard to describe. She's an incredible woman. Wise and intimidating, and yet, it kind of feels like I've known her my whole life." She scrunched up her nose. "Does that sound stupid?"

Tristan chuckled. "Not at all. I get the impression Cora is pretty special."

"I can't wait to get to know her," Lucy replied with a smile. "I can't wait to get to know this place." She looked out the window into a courtyard covered with overgrown vines. "Everything here is so beautiful."

Tristan looked down at her with a smile. He placed a hand on the side of her face, rubbing her cheek with his thumb. "It sure is," he replied.

He was just leaning in to kiss her when Riley and Lilith walked over to join them. "No time for that," Riley said, smacking Tristan on the back. "We have a castle to explore."

"This place is huge," Lilith added, excitement rolling off her in droves. "There's no way I could possibly sleep tonight knowing all of this is around us." She poked a thumb behind her, in the direction of the doors. "Come on, let's take a look."

"Wait," Lucy replied, grabbing Lilith by the arm before she took off. "We should probably check with Cora first. I mean, it might seem a little rude if we go poking around without permission. This is, technically, her home, right?"

Lilith looked guilty for a second before answering. "You're right," she replied. But her guilt was gone in a flash, replaced by excitement, yet again. She grabbed Lucy's hand and dragged her toward Cora. "Quick, ask Cora if we can take a look around."

"Why me?" Lucy argued in a whisper.

"Because, she already loves you," Lilith answered quickly over her shoulder just as they approached where Cora was seated, surrounded by several members of their families.

Everyone fell silent as Lucy and Lilith approached. Cora had a knowing smile pulling at her lips.

"How can we help you?" Cora asked, even though Lucy sensed she already knew.

"Sorry to interrupt," Lucy began, feeling a little embarrassed. "I was just wondering... well, we were just wondering, if it would be alright if we, maybe, had a look around the castle?" Lucy could feel her face getting redder and redder by the second. She could sense Tristan standing behind her now, Riley beside him, bouncing on the balls of his feet in anticipation of the answer.

Cora nodded her head once. "Of course," she replied kindly. "I only ask that you all be very careful. We don't know how much damage the castle sustained after the explosion, so there may be areas that are unstable."

"We will," Lucy replied.

"Oh, and Lucy," Cora continued, "there is a room on the top floor that I will request that you do not enter. It's not that I don't trust you all, but it holds many objects that could be quite dangerous should any one of you place your hands on them. You will be taught about them in the near future, but for now, please stay away from that room."

Lucy nodded. "Absolutely. How will we know which room it is?"

Cora smiled, the cheeky glint in her eye returning. "You'll know, I can assure you."

Once again, Lucy nodded as she backed away, turning to join her retreating friends.

They collected Rachel and Jared on the way out and the six of them left the banquet hall in a flurry of excitement.

"What do you think is in that room?" Riley asked, rubbing his hands together with hopeful eagerness.

"What room?" Rachel replied, her brows pulled together.

"There's a room on the top floor that Cora told us to keep away from." Riley answered. "Apparently, it's full of powerful objects that they don't want us to touch at the moment."

"At the moment?" Rachel repeated questioningly – her expression showing her interest.

"We're going to learn about them later. That's what Cora said, anyway," Riley replied. "Sounds pretty cool, right?"

Rachel nodded with a grin.

"Anyway, where should we go first?" Lilith interrupted, clapping her hands together as her eyes darted from one hallway to another.

All heads turned to Lucy, who stared back in silence. She shrugged her shoulders and pointed down the main hallway. "That way, I guess," she said.

Riley and Lilith led the way, stopping occasionally to admire the old paintings hanging on the walls or to gaze out of a window that looked out over a part of the city. Every so often, another, smaller hallway would branch off, leading into an open courtyard or another part of the castle.

They walked and walked and walked, stopping constantly to investigate an interesting room or a building that sat separate from the main castle.

What they all found most exciting though, was that the castle seemed to know that they were there. Every time they turned into a new hallway or entered a room, the sconces lining the walls would suddenly come to life, their flames bringing warmth and light into the once dark space.

"This place is just... incredible," Lucy said breathlessly as they climbed a wide staircase, watching on as the little fires sprang up along the walls as they passed.

Riley had stopped in front of one, looking on with curiosity. He held out his hand and raised it toward the fire, stepping back quickly when the flames began to bend their tops, licking at the air in the direction of his fingertips. "What the?" he exclaimed, almost tripping over.

Tristan quickly grabbed him as he stumbled. "You alright?" Tristan asked.

"Yeah," Riley replied, still eyeing the flames – which had returned to their place within the sconce. "This is just so..." he stopped and looked up at Lucy, "incredible, I guess." He finished with a shrug, repeating her earlier sentiments.

He reached out his hand again, and slowly, the little flames reached down toward him. "Why do you think they do that?"

"They're reacting to the power within you."

All six of them jumped with fright at Cora's sudden appearance.

She chuckled and slowly made her way up the stairs to stand beside Riley. "I do apologise for frightening you all. I will be sure to clear my throat to announce my arrival in the future." She looked up at Lucy and winked.

Lucy smiled back at her.

"You said that the flames are reacting to my power?" Riley asked tentatively. He was still unsure of how to approach Cora – Lucy could tell.

"I did indeed," Cora replied. "Each of the elements will sense your presence, especially if they have been called upon using the power. This castle," Cora smiled and waved a hand at the walls around them, "is filled with power, and it is set up to function in such a way that it is almost capable of thinking for itself."

Riley's eyes lit up. "Really? How?"

"Well, you've already witnessed the fires, coming to life as you enter the room. They will also eventually go out if the room does not sense a presence for longer than a few minutes," she replied.

"What else?" Riley pressed.

"You may find that windows may open and close of their own accord, depending on the weather outside." Cora watched as Riley pulled out his phone and began tapping away at the screen. She took a quick peek at his notes and smiled.

"This is so cool," Riley said as he looked up at Cora expectantly.

"I'm sure you have many questions," Cora spoke with a hint of a laugh. "For now, I have decided it would be best to show you just what I mean about the powerful objects in that room on the top floor of the castle. That way, your curiosity won't get the better of you." She raised a gentle eyebrow at Riley before setting off up the stairs. "Come now, I'll give you a quick lesson before we all must get some rest. It's been quite a long day."

Riley leapt up the stairs two at a time until he was walking alongside Cora, still asking questions. Lilith followed close behind.

"Does anyone else feel like they're having an out of body experience?" Jared asked as he looked from the fires in the sconces to Cora's retreating back.

Lucy held up her hand. "Just a little," she replied.

Jared shook his head in disbelief. "This is wild," he said before he took Rachel's hand and set off up the stairs.

Lucy stared up at the fire closest to her. Slowly, she held up her hand and watched with amazement as the little flames danced in her direction – reaching out to brush against her skin.

"Careful," Tristan said, placing his hands on her shoulders. "You'll burn yourself."

Lucy waited for the feeling, but the flames only tickled her fingers, spreading warmth down her arm. "It doesn't burn," she replied.

"Seriously?" Tristan held out his hand and laughed as the flames licked at his skin. "Well, I'll be damned," he said, slowly retracting his hand and holding it up to check for burns.

"Hey, are you guys coming?" Rachel stood at the top of the stairs, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "Everyone is waiting."

"Sorry," Lucy replied, giving the flames one last glance before taking Tristan's hand and running up the stairs to join the others.

They walked up another two flights before they caught up with Cora, Riley and Lilith. They were standing outside two large, wide, wooden doors at the end of a long corridor, dimly lit by two sconces on the wall and the moonlight cascading across the floor through the windows.

Cora was patiently listening to Riley and Lilith tell the story about how they had all become friends, somehow finding one another under such incredible circumstances.

"It seems your families were destined to find their way back to each other," Cora mused – mostly to herself. She looked up as the rest of their group arrived. "Alright," she said, lightly clapping her hands together, "the first thing you must remember about this room is that you cannot enter without clearance. Is that understood?"

They all nodded silently.

Riley still had his phone out, tapping notes as Cora spoke.

"It is full of objects and instruments that, if handled incorrectly, could cause catastrophic damage." She waited until they all, once again, nodded their heads.

"If these objects are so dangerous, why are you allowing us to see them?" Riley asked, looking up from his phone, his head tilted to the side.

Cora smiled. "Because I believe that this little group is quite special. It is not every day that we allow Empaths as young as you access to items such as what you are about to see, but I think the time has come for change." She looked at them all in turn, her eyes twinkling as they caught the light of the fires on the walls. "Please do not touch anything."

She turned to face the doors, placing her hand on the solid wood. Lucy watched as a neatly woven tapestry of weaves appeared, all crossing over where Cora's hand was positioned.

"Do you see that?" Lucy whispered to Tristan, who nodded silently.

"It looks like the seals that were used to lock the gates to Eleos," Lilith answered, leaning in to whisper to Lucy. "Just smaller."

Cora suddenly dropped her hand and turned to face them. "You can see the seals?" she asked, shocked.

"Yes," Lucy answered warily, and the others all nodded.

"I don't believe it," Cora replied, barely audible.

"Are we not supposed to be able to see them?" Riley asked, his eyes darting from Cora to Lucy and back again.

Cora shook her head. "You should be able to feel them, or feel for them rather, but being able to see the seals is something you don't learn until you have had time to build your strength and skills. Most Empaths can't see the seals until much later into their lives." She looked around at them, blinking rapidly. "This is quite amazing."

She quickly turned around and returned to unlocking the seals. It was only a few seconds before the weaves disappeared and the old doors began to swing open.

The room before them slowly lit up, unveiling a plethora of devices and objects in a range of shapes and sizes, each one contributing and culminating in a rush of power that brushed against them as they stepped inside.

The room was huge, at least twice the size of the banquet hall downstairs, and it was circular in shape. It was set out like an auditorium, with each level stepping down toward the centre filled with objects that increased in power as they drew closer to the middle. Lucy could feel it, pulling at her. It seemed the smaller the objects, the more power they held. All except one.

In the very centre of the room stood a formidable glass tree – its limbs glowing blue in the moonlight. The amount of power flowing from it was actually visible in the air around them. Lucy could feel it running along her skin.

"What is that?" Riley exclaimed; his eyes wide.

"It's grace glass," Lucy answered, shocking even herself.

Cora nodded her head once. "Yes, it is grace glass." She walked further into the room, stepping down a level to stand in front of them. "This tree is the beating heart of the castle. It generates enough power to run everything within the castle walls."

Riley was frantically taking photos and making notes. "Why do you need the grace glass to power the castle? I mean, with this many Empaths roaming around, surely they have more than enough power to do what they need to, right?"

"Not necessarily," Cora replied as she began slowly pacing back and forward, her hands folded together in front of her. "The castle requires an incredible amount of power to function, as you will find out. Even a small, family home needs grace glass. Every home in Eleos has grace glass situated somewhere within its walls. Think of it like our natural version of what you would know to be a power station. It generates and holds power, releasing it into the home when it is required. An empath can hold power and use it when needed, but maintaining that hold constantly would drain them until they burnt out."

Riley nodded. "Makes sense," he replied, taking more notes. "So, Empaths use a smaller version of that grace glass to enhance and channel their own power?"

"Yes," Cora replied. "But it can be very dangerous, which is why we don't want any of you touching grace glass until we know just how powerful you all are."

"So, why is it sold in town?" Riley questioned. "If it's so dangerous, how is it just out there for people to buy?"

Cora stopped pacing and turned to face them – her expression suddenly forlorn. "Once upon a time, our world was based on honesty, kindness and trust. Our people would never have even considered using grace glass for any kind of personal gain. If an empath stopped by that store, it was because they needed the glass to power their homes or if they were building something that required extra strength. There was no need to worry that it was being used for anything untoward. For evil. Arlo Thatcher changed everything. He destroyed this world with his greed and his hunger for more power." She stopped and took a deep breath, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "The goddess gifted us with exactly the right amount of power we needed as individuals. No more, no less. We were given grace glass as a blessing that allowed us to build the structures we see around us. It gave us the opportunity to step into another world that opened us up to endless possibilities." Her eyes glistened as she glanced around the room. "The single act of a selfish Empath destroyed everything."

"Not everything," Lucy replied. She stepped down to stand beside Cora, placing a comforting hand on Cora's shoulder. "Arlo may have been incredibly selfish and destructive, but he didn't destroy everything. Look at all of the people who have returned, and they're already down there, working on making this place home again."

Cora took a deep breath and looked over at Lucy with a warm smile. "Such strength," she whispered. "And you are right," she continued. "There is still so much to be grateful for." She patted Lucy's hand and then turned to step further down toward the centre of the room. "Come, I have a few more things I'd like to show you before it's time to rest."

"My parents told me you have devices that can erase memories," Tristan asked. "Is that true?"

Cora looked back with a grin. "Yes, that is correct, but they must only be handled by certain Empaths."

"Like who?" Riley asked, hopping down the steps to join her.

Cora chuckled. "Empaths who are much older and much stronger than you, my dear friend," she replied with a wink. "How does the saying go? With great power comes great responsibility."

Riley practically burst out of his skin at the Spider-Man reference. "You are the coolest," he laughed.

Cora was still chuckling at his enthusiasm. "Come, I'll show you the memory devices and then we must get some rest."

Cora promised to go into more detail in the coming weeks, but she allowed Riley to take photos and make a few short notes before she ushered them from the room, and they made their way back down to the banquet hall.

"Now, get some rest," Cora said as they entered the hall. "Your parents will be able to show you where everything is. Please, pick a room and make yourselves at home. I will see you all in the morning." She inclined her head, and turned to go, but she was barely back out the door before she turned back. "Thank you all so much for giving us the opportunity to come home. I cannot begin to tell you how much this means, to everyone." She took the time to look into each of their eyes, smiling warmly before disappearing down the corridor.

"Well, I imagine that was a buzz, right?" Lucy leapt out of her skin as Noah stepped up behind her, chuckling when several of the others jumped at the sound of his voice as well.

"To say the least," Lilith replied. "She's awesome."

Noah nodded. "Awesome indeed." He threw an arm around Tristan's shoulders. "How about we find you guys somewhere to sleep?"

Followed by the rest of their families, they made their way down the hall toward the staircase.

"All of the rooms are on the second floor," Noah said. "Let's get some rest and we'll work out where to start tomorrow."

Withseveral nods of agreement, they headed up the stairs to find a place to rest.After such a long and exciting day, they were all desperately in need of arecharge, and they were going to need it. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 261 26
Seventeen-year-old Lucy Owens is struggling. It's been two years since the death of her parents, but she just can't seem to get a handle on life with...
275K 17.1K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...
274 42 39
When Angelique Savant, a quiet, unassuming foster kid with a genius IQ is found not guilty of attempting to murder her best friend, she's committed t...
1K 265 24
When a new girl arrives at the school and causes some memories to form in a young mans mind, he starts to change. She seems similar, but different th...