High School Romance Revisited

By j_josho

If all great love stories ended with tragedy I shouldn't be bothered that mine too didn't meet the happily-ev... More

Prologue
Cast
Chapter 1 - The Memories
Chapter 2 - The Brother
Chapter 3 - The Return
Chapter 4 - The Chord
Chapter 5 - The Visit
Chapter 6 - The Friends
Chapter 7 - The Picture
Chapter 8 - The Fight
Chapter 9 - The Spring
Chapter 10 - The Proposal
Chapter 11 - The Bus **
Author's Note
Chapter 12 - The Ex
Chapter 13 - The Memorina
Chapter 14 - The Painting
Chapter 15 - The Power Cut
Author's Note
Chapter 16 - The Wish
Chapter 17 - The Awkward Morning
Chapter 18 - The Party
Chapter 19 - The Practice
Chapter 20 - The Kidnapping
Author's Note
Chapter 21 - The Talk **
Chapter 22 - The Blunder
Chapter 23 - The Date
Chapter 24 - The Post
Chapter 25 - The Terrace
Chapter 26 - The Confrontation
Chapter 27 - The Ill-Omen
Chapter 28 - The Shock
Chapter 29 - The Festival [Durga Puja Special]
Chapter 30 - The Interruptions [Durga Puja Special]
Chapter 32 - The Other
Chapter 33 - The Backstory
Announcement
GUILTY EXTRACT
Author's Note
NEWS!!!
Chapter 34 - The Assurance
Chapter 35 - The Question
Chapter 36 - The Shooting
Chapter 37 - The Trick
Chapter 38 - The Shadow
Chapter 39 - The Sangeet
Chapter 40 - The Bygone
Chapter 41 - The Face-Off
Chapter 42 - The Haldi
Chapter 43 - The Enticement
Chapter 44 - The Wedding
Chapter 45 - The Special-Dish
Chapter 46 - The Unveiling
Chapter 47 - The Trust
Chapter 48 - The Revelation
Chapter 49 - Back To School
Chapter 50 - Officially High School Lovers
EPILOGUE
The High School Series Continues
Author's Note

Chapter 31 - The Acceptance [Durga Puja Special]

361 23 3
By j_josho

Flashback

The eighth day of Durga Puja was more about traditions and rituals than enjoyment. We girls were all dressed in the traditional banarasi paired with gold ornaments while the boys had opted for dhoti kurta rather than the usual khadi pants.

However, the showstoppers were Debdyut's mother and aunts. Among their beautiful jewellery, the most admiring was the huge gold nose ring that gave out old-world vibes. With the end of the saree covering their heads, they all looked exactly like Bengal royals.

Most of us were fasting to take part in the Sandhi Puja ritual, which was scheduled to happen around six in the evening. I was not used to fastings like Chitra and Rai and this was my first time. Rai had warned that it would be really tough after the day's tiredness but I didn't listen. I wanted to be a part of this ritual and pray for my love to flourish and overcome all struggle.

"You could have prayed during any of the rituals, you don't have to fast for that," Chitra tried to convince me.

"No, I want to do this. Besides I have never been a part of the puja like this before. It's an experience I am looking forward to," I was adamant.

"Fine stubborn lady. Then go and take rest for some time. We will call you before the puja," Rai got up with the huge brass tray that aunty was asking for to keep the 108 lotuses.

Chitra urged me to go and rest. I only left after they promised to call me before the puja.

I knew if I slept I wouldn't be able to get up. Hence I decided to spend some time watching the sunset. Debdyut's house had a small terrace in the middle of their huge rooftop connected by a spiral staircase.

I climbed up slowly and reached the terrace. I could see the Kolkata skyline and the beautiful Howrah Bridge clearly from there. The sun had painted a beautiful shade of orange mixed with yellow and red over the sky. There was a very different scent hovering in the air. People say it was associated with the festival. I could also smell the charming scent of the shiuli or the night-blooming jasmine flowers.

I turned to see there was a small tree of the flower located in the corner of that terrace. I went near it and brushed my hands on the bloomed flowers. The soft delicate white buds relaxed me within seconds. I wanted to pick one but hesitated. It looked better on the tree rather than on my hair.

A soft breath tickled my neck. I turned and fell right into Mahen's embrace. I gasped, when did he come up. I didn't even notice. "When did you come here?"

"A few seconds ago," he said smiling.

"But I didn't even sense it."

"That's because you were too lost. The flowers seemed to have got your full attention. I am jealous!"

"Don't be silly!" I lightly gave a pat on his arm and sat down. "You do remember you are meeting my mother tonight," he asked sitting down beside me. Frankly speaking, I was hell nervous. Though Vasundhara aunty didn't seem to be a strict woman, still the thought of her becoming my future mother-in-law was a little bit scary.

"Hmm," I nodded.

"Why are you getting nervous? It's not that you are meeting her for the first time."

"I know but still..."

"Okay forget about this for the moment. I heard you are fasting for the sandhi puja?"

I looked at him and then turned back at the horizon.

"Deepa, you are not used to this fasting thing. Are you sure you can manage?"

"Of course I can," I said raising my chin. He chuckled, "fine then but if you faint I do have a great idea to wake you up!"

"What rubbish! Why would I faint?"

"You know, just in case," he shrugged.

"In case? And what would you do 'in case'?" I asked in an irritated tone.

He dragged himself a little more towards me and sat touching his shoulder with mine. "I would close my lips on yours and kiss you until you wake up!" he whispered. I pushed him off, "Shut up!" and got up to leave. He held the end of my saree and tugged. Not being able to keep the balance I landed directly in his arms.

Without even giving me a chance to understand he captured my lips and kissed me hard. His hands were on my waist holding me tightly against his torso. I don't know why it felt that I too was craving for this. Without any complain I returned his kiss, similarly, hard and long.

A soft wind blew tickling our skin. I heard the strong and echoing sound of a conch shell coming from downstairs. We slowly broke the kiss and stared into each other's eyes. "That's our cue. The puja will begin any moment now," I said.

He nodded helping me to get up. "I heard this particular large conch shell is in Debdyut's family for more than two fifty years."

"Yes and it is decorated with gold, emerald and ruby," I said climbing down the stairs. He too followed, "You have seen it?"

"Hhmm," I nodded, "I saw it with Rai."

"What? But I have heard it's huge, how did Rai manage?"

"Why don't you ask her?" I giggled.

"No thanks!" he said with a straight face and went to join the boys as we reached the main altar.

Chitra was hugging a little girl and Rai too was smiling at her. However, I couldn't recognize her as I saw the girl from behind. As soon as she turned she spotted me and so did I. Phagun Banerjee sprinted towards me and I embraced her in a tight hug. "When did you arrive?" I asked with a broad smile.

"Just now. Can you imagine my brother didn't even tell me!"

"But Koushik said you didn't want to come!"

"Didn't my brother confess that he forgot to mention it to me that every one of you were invited?"

"Oh god! Typical Koushik!" I shook my head. This boy will never change. 

"Anyways, now that I am here the fun will be double!" she was already jumping in excitement. I laughed and gave her another tight hug. "Hey, by the way, Deepa di, I heard you and Mahen dada are going official from this year? I mean I could totally imagine the look on Chitra di's face when dada introduced her to maa. Are you nervous too?"

I sighed, "looks like word travels faster among the siblings! Did Manish tell you? I think Mahen must have mentioned it to him."

"oh no no, that boy doesn't have time away from his books. He is not even interested in his brother's love life, unlike me. So I am filling his place."

"Then who told you? Koushik is too shy to even mention all these."

"Yes, I sometimes think Chitra di is the alpha in this relationship!"

I just couldn't suppress my laughter. "Okay, then who told you?"

"No one. I eavesdropped on a certain conversation," she whispered giggling.

"Phagun!" I lightly gave a pat on her shoulder, "Whose conversation it was?"

"Vasundhara aunty and Sujata aunty," she winked.

"Mahen and Rai's mothers?" I gasped. 

"Yes," she said with a grin.

"And what were they discussing?" I asked out of curiosity not to forget the way my heart was jumping inside my chest with anxiety.

"Nothing that you need to worry. I heard Vasundhara aunty saying and I quote, 'Sujata, I am very happy that my Mahen has finally found someone.' Then Sujata aunty asked, 'Oh that's indeed a great news Vasundhara. So who is she?' Vasundhara aunty literally flashed a wide smile saying, 'I don't know for sure, but I think it's Deepannita.' I do remember Sujata aunty's delightful reply as she quickly added, 'Deepa is an adorable child Vasundhara, Mahen is lucky.' Vasundhara aunty agreed saying, 'yes, a beauty with brains.' So do not worry, you are already accepted!" Phangun grinned.

I stared at her with my mouth hanging open both because of the conversation and also how well Phagun imitated Vasudhara aunty and Sujata aunty's voice. It took me a few minutes to digest the entire information and by the time I came out of the trance, I heard Chitra calling us to lit the candles and earthen lamps for sandhi puja.

My feet stopped when I saw a group of women standing near the altar. And I am not ashamed to agree that my entire body was turning numb. "Deepa? Come here," Sujata aunty called me asking to join them.

"Hello Deepa, how are you?" Vasundhara aunty asked as I walked towards them.

"I am good aunty how are you?" I asked whilst taking the candle that Rai offered.

"All good dear," she said with a soft brush on my head.

"Hey I'll also light the diyas," Phagun pouted when Rai didn't give her the candles.

"Phagun do you know the reason we light these candles and diyas during the sandhi puja?" Vasundhara aunty asked. Phagun innocently shook her head. Vasundhara aunty exchanged glances with Koushik and Rai's mothers and said, "this is the exact time when Maa Durga annihilated the evil demons. We worship and honour the sacred power that gives us the strength to fight with all evils. So girls, when you lit the candles and diyas, don't forget to wish for strength, wisdom and knowledge that will help you in fighting for what you believe is right."

Vasundhara aunty's words penetrated deep into my heart and when I lit the first candle I wished that even if difficulties arise in between us, I should have the strength to fight what I considered right.

With her words, I finally felt accepted. The nervousness was gone. I was so happy that someone like her would be there to guide me in future.

Flashback 

I just sat down in the middle of that huge house and cried my heart out. If only I knew that things would change so drastically. The woman who had showered love and wisdom would turn into the biggest problem between us.

Who was the real Vasundhara aunty the one who appreciated me or the one who threw me out of her house without listening to my part of the story? Or the one who hated me for all the wrong reasons? 

________________________________________________________________________________

Don't forget to VOTE! Press the ⭐ below!

Please share your views in the COMMENT section.

It encourages me a lot and I would love to hear from you regarding the story. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 48 14
《《 ♡ Wounds heal. Scars Don't ♡ 》》 • The story of an Indian girl brought up by the most loving parents and an Indian boy who's never known love be...
72.8K 5.7K 18
Samira , when develops a huge crush on her senior Aahan , things don't go her way; will her life change? or this crush ends just like how most people...
42.7K 3.7K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
11.9K 1.2K 49
School teenage friends got separated by misunderstanding... after 7 years met by destiny again. What will happen when they will meet again. They were...