Titanic

By Victorious-lover

Seventeen year old Camila hails from an aristocratic family and is set to be married. When she boards the Tit... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven

Chapter three

1.1K 31 10
By Victorious-lover

The room is alive with music, laughter and raucous carrying on. People of all ages are dancing, drinking beer and wine, smoking, laughing, even brawling.

Normani hands Camila a pint of stout and she hoists it as Lauren dances with a young girl. As the song ends, Camila leans down to the little girl. "May I cut in, miss?"

"You're still my best girl, Cora."

The girl scampers off. Camila and Lauren face each other. Camila trembles as Lauren takes her right hand in her left, her other hand sliding to the small of her back. It is an electrifying moment for her.

"I don't know the steps."

"Just move with me. Don't think."

The music starts and they are off. A little awkward at first, but Camila starts to get into it. She grins at Lauren as she starts to get the rhythm.

"Wait... stop!" Camila bends down, pulling off her high heeled shoes, and flings them to Dinah. Then she grabs Lauren and they plunge back into the fray, dancing faster as the music speeds up.

The song ends in a mad rush. Lauren steps away from Camila with a flourish, allowing her to take a bow. Exhilarated and slightly tipsy, she does a graceful ballet ployer, feet turned out perfectly. Everyone laughs and applauds.

They move to a table, flushed and sweaty. Camila grabs Dinah's cigarette and takes a big drag, feeling cocky.

Normani walks towards then with a pint for each of them. Camila chugs hers, showing off.

"You think a first class girl can't drink?"

Everybody else is dancing again, and man crashes into Normani, who sloshes her beer over Camila's dress. She laughs, not caring. But Normani lunges, grabbing him and wheeling him around.

Lauren leaps into the middle of it, pushing them apart.

"So, you think you're tough? Let's see you do this." In her stocking feet she assumes a ballet stance, arms raised, and goes up on point, taking her entire weight on the tips of her toes. She comes back down, then her face screws up in pain. She grabs one foot, hopping around. "Oooowww! I haven't done that in years."

Lauren is quick to catch her as she loses her balance, and everyone cracks up.

The door to the well deck is open a few inches as Matthew watches through the gap. He sees Lauren holding Camila, both of them laughing.

The stars that night where so bright, and the sky so clear, clear enough for them to see the Milky Way.

Camila and Lauren walked along the row of lifeboats. Still giddy from the party, as they sing Come Josephine in My Flying Machine.

They fumble over the words and break down laughing. They stop as they reach the First
Class Entrance, but Camila doesn't go in, not wanting the evening to end.

Through the doors the sound of the ship's orchestra wafts gently. Camila grabs onto a davit and leans back, staring at the cosmos.

"Isn't it beautiful? So grand and endless." She goes to the rail and leans on it. "They're such small people, Lauren... my crowd. They think they're giants on the earth, but they're not even dust in God's eye. They live inside this little tiny champagne bubble and someday the bubble's going to burst."

Lauren leans against the rail next to her, her hand slightly touching Camila's. It is the
slightest contact imaginable, and all either one of them can feel is that square inch of skin where their hands are touching.

"You're not one of them. There's been a mistake."

"A mistake?"

"Uh huh. You got mailed to the wrong address."

Camila laughs. "I did, didn't I?" She suddenly points up at the sky. "Look! A shooting star."

"That was a long one. My father used to say that whenever you saw one, it was a soul going to heaven."

"I like that. Aren't we supposed to wish on it?"

Lauren looks at her, and finds that they are suddenly very close together. It would be so easy to move another couple of inches, to kiss her. Camila eyes flicker to Lauren's lips as she seems to be thinking the same thing.

"What would you wish for?"

After a beat, Camila pulls back. "Something I can't have." She smiles sadly. "Goodnight, Lauren. And thank you." She leaves the rail and hurries through the First Class Entrance.

"Camila!!" She shouts but the door bangs shut, and she is gone. Back to her world.

Sunlight splashed across the room as Camila and Shawn sat in silence, eating their breakfast. The tension unbearable. Ally quickly poured them their coffee before rushing out of the room.

"I had hoped you would come to me last night."

"I was tired."

"Yes. Your exertions below decks were no doubt exausting."

Camila stiffens. "I see you had Matthew follow me."

"You will never behave like that again! Do you understand?"

"I'm not some foreman in your mills than you can command! I am your fiancee-" she was cut of by Shawn sweeping the breakfast china off the table with a crash. He moves to her in one shocking moment, glowering over her and gripping the sides of her chair, so she is trapped between his arms.

"Yes! You are! And my wife... in practice, if not yet by law. So you will honor me, as a wife is required to honor her husband! I will not be made out a fool! Is this in any way unclear?"

Camila shrinks down into the chair. She can see Ally, frozen, partway through the door bringing the orange juice. Shawn follows Camila's glance and straightens up. He stalks past the maid, entering the stateroom.

"We... had a little accident. I'm sorry, Ally."

///

"Mr. Andrews, I did the sum in my head, and with the number of lifeboats times the capacity you mentioned... forgive me, but it seems that there are not enough for everyone aboard." Camila said as Mr. Andrews lead the group back from the bridge along the boat deck.

"About half, actually. Camila, you miss nothing, do you? In fact, I put in these new type davits, which can take an extra row of boats here but it was thought by some that the deck would look too cluttered. So I was over-ruled."

Shawn slaps the side of the boat. "Waste of deck space as it is, on an unsinkable ship!"

"Sleep soundly, young Camila. I have built you a good ship, strong and true. She's all the lifeboat you need."

As they are passing Boat 7, Lauren turns from the rail and walks up behind the group. She taps Camila on the arm and she turns, gasping. Lauren motions and she cuts away from the group toward a door which
Lauren holds open before gently closing it behind them.

"Lauren, this is impossible. I can't see you."

Lauren takes her by the shoulders. "Camz, you're no picnic, you're a spoiled little brat even, but under that you're a strong, pure heart, and you're the most amazingly astounding girl I've ever known and-"

"Lauren, I-"

"No wait. Let me try to get this out. You're amazing and I know I have nothing to offer you, Camila. I know that. But I'm involved now. You jump, I jump, remember? I can't turn away without knowing that you're going to be alright."

Camila can feel the tears coming to her eyes. Lauren is so open and real... not like anyone she has ever known.

"You're making this very hard. I'll be fine. Really."

"I don't think so. They've got you in a glass jar like some butterfly, and you're going to die if you don't break out. Maybe not right away, because you're strong. But sooner or later the fire in you is going to go out."

"It's not up to you to save me, Lauren."

"You're right. Only you can do that."

"I have to get back, they'll miss me. Please, Lauren, for both our sakes, leave me alone."

///

"Hello, Lauren." She turns and Camila is standing there. "I changed my mind."

Lauren smiles at her, her eyes drinking her in. Her cheeks are red with the chill wind, and her eyes sparkle. Her hair blows wildly about her face.

"Sssshh. Come here." She puts her hands on Camila's waist. As if she is going to kiss her. "Close your eyes."

She does, and Lauren turns her to face forward, the way the ship is going. She presses her gently to the rail, standing right behind her. She takes her two hands and raises them until she is standing with her arms outstetched on each side. Camila is going along with her. When she lowers her hands, Camila's arms stay up... like wings.

"Okay. Open them."

Camila gasps. There is nothing in her field of vision but water. It's like there is no ship under them at all, just the two of them soaring. There is only the wind, and the hiss of the water 50 feel below.

"I'm flying!" She leans forward, arching her back. Lauren puts her hands on her waist to steady her.

"Come Josephine in my flying machine." Lauren sings softly.

Camila closes her eyes, feeling herself floating weightless far above the sea. She smiles dreamily, then leans back, gently pressing her back against Lauren's chest. Lauren pushes forward slightly against her.

Slowly she raises her hands, arms outstretched, and they meet Camila's fingertips gently touching. Then their fingers intertwine. Moving slowly, their fingers caress through and around each other like the bodies of two lovers.

Lauren moves her face forward into Camila's blowing hair, letting the scent of her wash over, until her cheek is agianst her ear.

Camila turns her head until her lips are near hers. She lowers her arms, turning further, until she finds Lauren's mouth with hers.

Lauren wraps her arms around her from behind, and they kiss like this with her head turned and tilted back, surrendering to her, to the emotion, to the inevitable. They kiss, slowly and tremulously, and then with building passion.

Lauren and the ship seem to merge into one force of power and optimism, lifting her, buoying her forward on a magical journey, soaring onward into a night without fear.

Like in a dream they end up back in Camila's suite. Lauren sets her sketchbook and drawing materials on the marble table.

"Will this light do? Don't artists need good light?"

"Zat is true, I am not used to working in such 'orreeble conditions." Lauren speaks in a horrible French accent.

Camila goes into the adjoining walk-in wardrobe closet. She sees her go to the safe and start working the combination. She's fascinated.

"Shawn insist on lugging this thing everywhere."

"Should I be expecting him anytime soon?"                                 
"Not as long as the cigars and brandy hold out." She unlocks the safe. Glancing up, she meets Lauren's eyes in the mirror behind the safe. She opens it and removes the necklace, then holds it out to her who takes it nervously.

"What is it? A sapphire?"

"A diamond. A very rare diamond, called the Heart of the Ocean."

Lauren gazes at wealth beyond her comprehension.

"I want you to draw me like your French girl. Wearing this." She smiles at her. "Wearing only this."

Lauren looks up at her, surprised. She lays out her pencils like surgical tools. Her sketchbook open and ready. She looks up as Camila comes into the room, wearing a silk kimono.

"The last thing I need is another picture of me looking like a china doll. As a paying customer, I expect to get what I want."

She hands Lauren a dime and steps back, parting the kimono. The blue stone lies on her tanned breast. Her heart pounding as she slowly lowers the robe.

Lauren looks so stricken, it is almost comical. The kimono drops to floor.

"Tell me when it looks right to you." She poses on the divan.

"Uh... just bend your left leg a little and... and lower your head. Eyes to me. That's it."

She starts to sketch. She drops her pencil and Camila stifles a laugh.

"I believe you are blushing, I can't imagine Monsieur Monet blushing."

"He does landscapes." Lauren sweats. Despite her nervousness, she draws with sure strokes, and what emerges is the best thing she has ever done.

Camila, wearing her kimono again, leans on Lauren's shoulder, watching as she signs the paper.

"Date it, Lauren. I want to always remember this night."

She does: 4/14/1912.

Camila meanwhile scribbles a note on a piece of Titanic stationary. Carefully taking the drawing from Lauren, and crosses to the safe in the wardrobe.

She puts the diamond back in the safe, placing the drawing and the note on top of it. The door closes with a loud clunk. Camila walks back into the sitting room, fully dressed. She quickly takes Lauren's hand as they hear a key in the lock of the front door, silently leading her through the bedrooms.

"Miss Camila? Hello?" They hear Matthew say as he enters the room, he hears a door opening and goes through Shawn's room toward Camila's.

Camila and Lauren come out of her stateroom, closing the door. She leads her quickly along the corridor toward the B deck foyer. They are halfway across the open space when the sitting room door opens in the corridor and Matthew comes out. The man sees Lauren with Camila and hustles after them.

"Come on!" Camila shouts as her and Lauren break into a run, surprising the few ladies and gentlemen about. Camila leads her past the stairs to the bank of elevators. They run into one, shocking the hell out of the operator. "Take us down. Quickly, quickly!"

The operator scrambles to comply. Lauren even helps him close the steel gate. Matthew runs up as the lift starts to descend. He angrily slams one hand on the bars of the gate. Camila laughs as she makes a very rude and unladylike gesture, sticking her middle finger up at Matthew as he disappears above. The operator gapes at her.

Matthew emerges from another lift and runs to the one Lauren and Camila were in. The operator is just closing the gate to go back up. He runs around the bank of elevators and scans the foyer, Camila and Lauren nowhere to be found. He tries the stairs going down to F-Deck.

Lauren and Camila are leaning against a wall, laughing. "Pretty tough for a valet, this fella. He seems more like a cop."

"I think he was." They both laugh as they see him charging towards them. Lauren pulls Camila into a blind alley. There is one door, marked 'crew only', and Lauren flings it open and enter a roaring ran room, with no way out but a ladder going down. Lauren latches the deadbolt on the door, and Matthew slams against it a moment later.

Lauren grins at Camila, pointing to the ladder. "After you, m'lady."

Lauren and Camila climb down the escape ladder and look around the boiler room in amazement. It is like a vision of hell itself, with the roaring furnaces and black figures moving in the smoky glow. They run the length of the boiler room, dodging amazed stokers, and trimmers with their wheelbarrows of coal.

"Carry on! Don't mind us!" Lauren shouts as they run through the open watertight door into boiler room six. She pulls Camila through the fiercely hot alley between two boilers and they wind up in the dark, out of sight of the working crew. Watching from the shadows, they see the stokers working in the hellish glow, shovelling coal into the insatiable maws of the furnaces. The whole place thunders with the roar of the fires.

The furnaces roar, silhouetting the glistening stokers as Lauren kisses Camila's face, tasting the sweat trickling down from her forehead. They kiss passionately in the steamy, pounding darkness.

They soon enter the cargo room, laughing. Camila hugs herself against the cold, after the dripping heat of the boiler room.

They come upon a brand new Renault touring car, it looks like a royal coach from a fairy tale, its brass trim and headlamps nicely set off by its deep burgundy color.

Camila can't help but climb into the plushly upholstered back seat, acting very royal. There are cut crystals bud vases on the walls back there, each containing a rose. Lauren jumps into the driver's seat, enjoying the feel of the leather and wood.

"Where to, Miss?"

"To the stars." Camila pulls her over the seat into the back. She lands next to her, and her breath seems loud in the quiet darkness. Lauren looks at her and she is smiling. It is the moment of truth.

"Are you nervous?" She asks, stroking her face, cherishing her. Camila kisses her fingers softly.

"Put your hands on me Lauren." Lauren kisses her, and she slides down in the seat under her welcome weight.

The window of the Renault is completely fogged up and Lauren's overcoat is like a blanket over them. It stirs and Camila pulls it down as they are huddled under it, intertwined, still mostly clothed. Their faces flushed and they look at each other wonderingly.

Camila puts her hand on Lauren's face, as if making sure she is real. "You're trembling."

"It's okay. I'm alright." Lauren lays her cheek against her chest. "I can feel your heart beating."

She hugs Lauren's head to her chest, and just holds on for dear life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 1.7K 36
Lauren Jauregui, a Normal Teenager? No. Well, maybe at first Sight. But if you look more closely, you will know way more things-way darker things. La...
17.3K 775 18
After a devastating death in the Jauregui family (one covered up well by Mr. Jauregui himself) Lauren's life is consumed with making sure Camila Cabe...
216K 5.2K 24
Lauren Jauregui became friends with five weird yet amazing girls. Camila, her best friend, keeps on giving her mixed signals which lead to Lauren thi...
258K 10K 29
You are dating two girls from Fifth Harmony. Can you guess who? Yes, the allusive Camren. You love both of the girls with a passion, and you don't ev...