Cassia

By RobertLCollins

A young woman named Cassia, journeyman in the Slavers' Guild of the Settled Domains, is tasked to capture a m... More

One - Late Summer
Two - The Next Afternoon
Three - Two Years Ago, in the Spring
Four - Three Days Later
Five - The Next Day
Six - Two Years Later, Early Autumn
Seven - Four Days Later
Eight - Three Months Later, Winter
Nine - Two Weeks Later
Ten - Four Months Later, Spring
Eleven - Three Months Later
Twelve - One Month Later, Mid-August
Fourteen - Six Days Later

Thirteen - Two Days Later

18 1 0
By RobertLCollins

It was the morning of the second day of the journey when the girl came up to Cassia and asked, “If we are free, why should we follow you?”

At the time Cassia was talking to James, one of the elves, asking him how game hunting was going. He had said it was good but not great. She was about to ask for details when the girl spoke. Cassia told the elf they could talk later, and let him get on with his work.

She turned to the girl. It was Alia, who was brown-haired and the tallest in the group of freed slaves Cassia was leading. She thought the girl was around the age of thirteen, and found her plain because she seemed to constantly frown.

I would bet money that unless she filled out, Cassia thought, she would end up being a breeding or domestic slave.

“It is true you are free,” Cassia answered, “but you must follow my lead.”

“Why?”

“Because I am the Blue Pistol, and I know where we are going.”

“But if we are free, why must we follow any leader?”

Cassia glanced around. The rest of the group were still eating breakfast, but the meal seemed more than half-way over. I suppose I can spare some time to talk to her.

“Freedom does not mean the freedom to be irresponsible, Alia. I freed you, but that did not mean that I could leave you on your own. I had a duty to make certain you could remain out of the Guild’s hands. That is why we gave the others coins and advice. That I why I am leading you. That is my responsibilty to you.”

“What is mine?”

“To follow my lead. To learn to be free. To help the others. To think of what is best for all of us, and to do that.” Cassia took in then let out a breath. “Alia, there is word, an English word, that you need to know and understand: liberty. It means that you are free, not a slave, but that you have rights.”

“What are rights? Not wrongs?”

“Rights are the privileges you have now that you are free. For instance, you have the right to say what you think and feel, like now, questioning why you should follow my lead.”

“Good.”

“But you are not the only person here who has rights. Everyone has the same rights you do. You have the right to ask why you should follow me. Remember, though, we are in the wilderness with no clear path or road to use. Should you encourage others to question me, or ask them to follow you in some other direction, you would risk their lives.”

“What of it?”

“They, like you, have another right, the right to live and be safe. The idea of liberty is that we all have rights. Our rights must be balanced against the rights of others, so that all can enjoy their rights. Putting your rights ahead of the rights of others makes you no better than a member of the Slavers’ Guild.”

Alia fell silent for a brief moment, then she shrugged. “If you say so,” she said. She turned and walked back to the group.

Her response took Cassia completely by surprise. I thought I had explained myself rather well. Did I not make the matter clear?

She quickly replayed the conversation in her mind. Part of the way through an image of Alia’s face stuck in her mind. It wasn’t of someone listening to their question being answered. It was the expression of someone paying just enough attention to keep up, but not so much as to be engaged and able to respond.

I must have looked like that those days when my mother tried to lecture to me about one thing or another, she thought. Perhaps the girl is not nervous about how her life has changed. Perhaps she is becoming rebellious, like I did at her age. I had better give that situation some thought today, so I will be able to deal with it.

I should also ask why I did not think of that earlier.

***

When the group stopped that night to make camp, another of the girls approached Cassia. She recognized the girl as Vina, because she had reddish-blonde hair, a fairly unusual shade. The girl was slender, perhaps an inch taller than Cassia, and seemed to be around eleven years old. The girl asked if she could speak to Cassia alone. Cassia led her out of the clearing where the camp was. She stopped at a wide tree and led the girl to the side facing away from the camp.

“What do you want to talk about?” Cassia asked.

“I have, had, a sister, Varia,” the girl said slowly. “I barely remember my mother. It was always Varia who took care of me. This spring, Varia became a woman, and she was taken away and sold. None of the other girls would help me like she did.”

Cassia reached out and touched the girl’s shoulder. No, they would not. Why make friends if they are to be sold in a year or two?

“We know you are Cassia, formerly of the Guild,” Vina continued. “You know how to fight. Could you teach me to fight, so that I might free Varia?”

Cassia sighed. “I can teach you to fight, yes. Unless you know who bought your sister, or on what day of the week and month that she was sold, you have little chance of finding her. If you did, it would be luck, or a miracle from God.”

Vina lowered her head. She started to turn around.

“Wait!”

The girl stopped and looked at Cassia.

“Vina, if you would take that passion to free your sister, and apply that desire to free her to a desire to free all slaves, you could make a difference in this world.”

“Like you?”

“Perhaps so, yes. First you must learn how to fight. To learn means that you must be willing to work every day until you have a good level of skill, and in more than one way of fighting.”

Vina seemed to consider what Cassia said. After a moment she nodded and said, “I understant that.”

“You must also understand that boys may not like you for devoting your time to improving your skills.”

“I do not like boys very much.”

Cassia smiled. “Not right now, no. You are not old enough to care what boys think of you. But you must trust me on this. A few years from now it might matter a great deal what boys think of you, if they think you are pretty, if they like to be around you. That is one of the things that happen to you when you become a woman, Vina.”

“If you say so.”

“I do.” Cassia let her smile fade. “There is also something else you must consider. You are about the same size as I am, both in terms of height and body shape.”

“What of it?”

“Unless you grow taller, and your arms and legs become thicker, you will never be as strong as most men. Even men who are somewhat weak might be as strong as you will be when you become an adult.”

“What of it? You have a gun, yes?”

“Yes, I do. I know how to use it, and how to use it well. There are times when you will have to fight with a knife, or a sword, or some other hand weapon. To use a bow or crossbow requires some strength. There are also times when you must fight hand-to-hand, with no weapons at all.”

“Really?”

“Really and truly. A skilled warrior is one who is able to fight with whatever is available. If I had no bullets for my gun, I could use it as a club. Give me a stick, or a rock, and I could bring down a man. Take away everything, even my clothes, and I still could defend myself, or bring down my enemy.”

Vina paused again to think. A moment later she asked, “If I learn, would I be alone as you are alone?”

“I am not alone. None of us are alone. In your case, you are going to Freeman’s Hold. They have raiding parties, and I know that women are members. Right now, they are not warriors, but wizards and healers.”

“I see.”

“That does not mean they would not accept you as a warrior. I am almost certain they would. It will take time for you to learn and be skilled enough to be accepted for one of their raiding groups.”

“How long?”

“I was eleven when I began to learn the warrior’s skills. I think you are about that age. When I joined the Guild at seventeen, I could hold my own against any man, and I could defeat many already. It then took me a further two years to learn to shoot a gun, and to learn the finer points of fighting with weapons and hand-to-hand.”

“That seems like a long time.”

“It is. However, if it is what you desire to do with your life, you shall devote the time. You will heed your teachers. You will practice routine actions over and over, until you can do them as easily as you breathe. You will ask questions and listen to answers.

“Vina, there are many slaves who need to be freed. There are many families that must be protected from having to sell some of their children to feed the others. There are many women and children who must be protect from abuse, whether at the hands of their masters or the Guild.

“Perhaps one day you will find your sister. Most likely you never shall. The only way for you to search is to fight the Guild and help slaves. If that is what you want, then you should follow your desire.”

“Would you teach me?”

“I can get you started, while we are travelling together. There will come a time when we will have to part. You will have to pursue your desire on your own. Knowing that, would you rather start now or later?”

“I wish to start now.”

“Fine. Look around here, staying close to camp, for two sticks twice as long as your hand, and as thick as two fingers. We shall pretend those are knives, and I will start you on knife fighting.”

Vina nodded once then began her search.

I wonder what Bart will say when he hears about this, Cassia thought. I wonder what Debbie will say. I hope they will be happy.

Well, happy or not, I suppose I really am becoming the Blue Pistol.

***

Cassia had started Vina on knife-fighting for two reasons. One was that it was relatively easy to teach without much chance of the teacher or the student getting hurt. Cassia wasn’t certain that it would be wise to teach other types of fighting when it might be difficult to heal wounds. The other reason was that she felt it the most practical and useful skill to teach the girl. Knives were common enough, and the skill was as defensive as offensive.

She spent an hour teaching Vina the basics. She noticed that about half the girls chose to watch with any sort of interest. One of those that did was Alia. With a series of glances Cassia observed that the older girl was staring at them with an expression on her face that suggested vague displeasure. Since the older girl did nothing more than stare, Cassia didn’t bother to confront her.

The third day of the journey was largely uneventful. Cassia did overhear Alia saying to Vina in the morning, “You are too little to do anything.” Vina ignored the comment, and a similar one that afternoon. That evening the group made camp. While dinner was prepared, Cassia resumed her instruction of Vina in knife-fighting.

This time all the girls, except the one helping the elves prepare a stew, were watching. Alia was among the audience. Cassia noticed that fairly soon into the effort Alia began to shake her head. After several minutes of that Cassia decided it was time to address the matter.

She raised a hand to Vina and turned to Alia. “If you wish to learn, ask,” she said. “If you do not, keep your views your own, and let Vina make her own choices.”

“Why? Am I not free?”

“Do you think you could do better that her?”

“It is not that hard.”

Cassia smiled. “Then show us how much you know.” This may be my chance to see what her problem is. If it is what I think it is, it is also a chance to force her into line.

Cassia nodded to Vina to hand Alia the stick she had been training with. Vina did so as she and Alia switched places. Cassia keep her expression level as she waited for Alia to get into a fighting stance and make the first move.

She was aware that she began with two huge advantages over the girl. The first was experience and training. An hour and a half of watching was no substitute for months of training and years of practice. She did know that inexperience might make Alia a more troublesome opponent, because Alia would be more likely to try unusual tricks to knock her down. There was, of course, a way to deal with that as well: focus on the fight and anticipate Alia’s moves.

The other advantage Cassia had was that she was in pants, while Alia, like the other girls, was still in the simple dress she’d been wearing when she was freed. Wearing pants was a strange feeling for Cassia. The last time she had done so was during her training as an apprentice in the Guild. But the liberation they had given her on this mission was something she was coming to appreciate. They made walking and climbing easier, and kept her legs that much warmer at night.

She had always known that one of the disadvantages to being a woman in the Guild was that she had to wear women’s clothing. Dresses were especially troublesome when it came to fighitng. They had a tendencey to tie up her legs and thus slow her down. She had asked her superiors about the problem, since it could prove dangerous if she was given escort duty. They were unwilling to discus it, and she never had the chance to press the issue.

The previous night, while teaching Vina, Cassia realized just how much of a difference it was to wear pants instead of a dress. She was more sure-footed, had a greater range of motion, and her legs just didn’t get as tired as they might have. Now Cassia understood the advantage she would have over Alia. As long as I keep my wits, I can deal with her.

She waited for Alia to attack first. The girl’s first jabs and strikes were passable; clearly she could observe and apply what she saw. Cassia chose to assume a defensive position to start out with. She was able to knock aside or avoid the initial attacks with ease.

“Do you see why I taught you more defensive than offensive moves, Vina?” Cassia asked over her shoulder. “You have more options.”

“Yes, I see.”

Alia threw her body into a thrusting strike at Cassia. Cassia batted Alia’s stick to one side then sent her fist into Alia’s lower belly in one swift movement. The girl was stopped cold by the blow. Cassia back away from Alia a few steps and waited.

Alia tried again, this time using her left hand as a shield of sorts to ward off another blow. Cassis shifted to her right, poked her stick into Alia’s left thigh, then batted her in the back. Alia fell to the ground.

Cassia took one step towards Alia. She stopped to glance at her opponent. She noticed Alia’s left hand ball up. She resumed her approach, carefully watcing the hand.

Sure enough, Alia tried to throw dirt into Cassia’s face. Cassia sidestepped the flying dirt easily. Alia lept up. Cassia saw at that instant an expression of angry frustration on the girl’s face. Alia had dropped her stick, but charged at Cassia all the same. Cassia dodged to her left while leaving one leg in Alia’s path. Alia stumbled to the ground.

Alia came up again, now more angry than frustrated. Again she charged. This time Cassia moved right. As Alia flew by Cassia caught the girl’s right arm with her left. She took hold, spun Alia once, then shoved her into the nearest tree. Alia hit with a solid “thump.” She fell to the ground with a bloody nose. She looked like she was either going to scream or cry.

Cassia picked up the practice stick Alia had dropped. She handed it and her own to Vina. She walked up to the elves. “Soap,” she said in English.

James handed her a bar of soap from one of their packs. Cassia walked to Alia. She grabbed a sleeve of the girl’s dress and stood her up. She turned to the other girls. “Stay here,” she told them, “I shall be back soon.”

She dragged Alia several yards past camp to a stream. The camp hand been set up away from the stream so the girls wouldn’t be tempted to drink from it. The water might be fit to drink, but there was always a chance that it might not be. Furthermore, the clearing where camp was set up was a far more defensible site than any along the the stream that the elves had found.

Cassia stopped at the water’s edge. She shoved the bar of soap into Alia’s hands. “Take off your dress and shoes,” she snapped, “and wash yourself.”

Alia glared at her for a few seconds, then did as she was told. The stream was deep enough for the girl to sit down in, but not so deep that the water covered her. It was cold, for she began shivvering a moment after sitting down.

Cassia let out a breath once the girl had sat down. “I do not know why you are so rebellious, girl,” she said. “What is bothering you?”

“You were in the Guild,” was all Alia answered.

“Everyone knows that. What of it?”

“You do not understand.”

“I understand a great deal. Tell me, were you the last of your siblings not to be sold off?”

“Perhaps.”

“Did you have few friends among the other girls, because you were tall and not pretty as some of them?”

“Perhaps.”

“Now that you are free, you think it would be good to be free from everyone.”

Alia turned to Cassia. “How can you say you know anything about me?”

Cassia knelt down. “I was your age once. I was not as pretty as the girls my age that I knew. Because I wanted to join the Guild I had few friends. I was told that I could not join, and that made me even more headstrong.”

Alia’s angry frown softened.

Cassia continued tp speak.  “I also know that some slaves, when freed, assume that being free means they have no rules to follow anymore. It is most common in teenaged slaves, which is why boys and girls around your age are kept apart until they are old enough to have sex.

“Alia, I know you quite well. You are angry. You wish to be free of all rules. You think that you cannot trust anyone, because no one knows what you are feeling. That anger and mistrust might get you into trouble. I suggest you either control it or put it to good use.”

“What trouble?”

“For one thing, if you cause me more problems, I will leave you behind. You would have to fend for yourself, with no food, no weapons, and no advice.”

“Oh. What to you mean about controlling or using my feelings?”

“To control them is to do just that. Stop defying me. Stop glaring at Vina or anyone else. Do as I tell you, when I tell you to.”

“And use it? You mean fight?”

“If that is your choice. Alia, you would have some advantage in that area over myself and Vina.”

“How so?”

“You are tall. Your arms and legs are clearly thicker than hers. You have more fat, and I more muscle, but training can change that. With your height and more muscle than fat, there would not be so many men stronger than you, than there are that are stronger than myself or Vina.”

“Would you teach me?”

“I could start you out, like Vina. I will tell you the same as I told her. You must have a teacher to learn to fight. You will have to find your own teacher once you reach Freeman’s Hold.”

Alia was silent for a moment. “Why must we follow you? Why can we not choose our own leader?”

“Do you know how to find food in the wilderness? Can you shoot a gun, or a bow and arrow? Do you even know where we are?”

“We are nowhere.”

“No. We are nine days from the Great River Road, and twelve and one-half days away from Crown’s Hold. From there you are five weeks of travel east of Freeman’s Hold and your new home.

“I know this because I can read. That means I can read a map. I know how to add and subtract numbers, so I can read a map and figure our how many days it will take to get from place to place. I have experience in travelling, so I know how long it takes to travel in one day.

“We did not decide on the spur of the moment to raid the slave pen at New Port. We planned the raid for weeks. We figured out what we would need to help the slaves we freed stay free. We planned who we could help, and who we had to send on their way by themselves. I know what my role in this plan is, and that is why I lead.”

Cassia took a deep breath before continuing. “Alia, you must decide for yourself if you wish to follow my lead or not. To be honest, I do not care what you choose to do. All that I care is that your choice makes my task easier. I do expect you to return the soap once you have cleaned yourself up. Take as long as you need. There will be a bowl of stew waiting for you.”

Cassia stood up. “You are not alone, Alia, nor are your feelings all that unusual. I would be willing to help you with them. But you have to listen to me and obey my rules to obtain that help.” She turned and walked back to camp.

***

As the twelfth day of the journey wound along, Cassia found her annoyance at the girls increasing moment by moment. She had stemmed their complaints earlier that morning by asking a simple question: “Do you wish to be slaves again, or do you wish to be free?” It was quiet for a few hours, but now the unhappy whispers had started up again as the group walked up yet another rise in the landscape.

Not that Cassia could blame them. She was starting to feel as tired as they already were. Almost everyone, except the elves, had sore feet. Some of the girls had gotten blisters; they were healed, but the pain remained. Even the new shoes the girls had been given at the start of the journey were looking worn down.

Still, she mused, it could be worse. Alia kept quiet, and often wore a sullen expression. Thankfully, she no longer challenged Cassia to her face or behind her back. Then there was Vina, whose spirit seemed to thrive on the journey and the fighting practice. Just enough to keep everyone going.

At that instant the group emerged from a cluster of trees. Ahead of them was a significant rise that stretched as far to the east and west as they could see. Some of the girls groaned. Alia spoke up, asking, “Must we climb yet another hill?”

Cassia looked at the faces of both elves. Both nodded their heads and smiled. Cassia took a deep breath. “That is not another hill,” she announced.

“What is it? An illusion?”

“Go forward and see for yourself.”

“Why?”

“Are you not curious as to what I said? Are you not curious as to why I said it?” She turned and smiled. “We are all tired, but follow me, and you will understand.”

Cassia nodded to the elves. One stood still while the other started walking. Cassia followed at a strong pace; the girls followed her more slowly. They brushed past the grassy vegetation to claw their way up the sometimes steep slope. Cassia stopped a yard shy of the top. One by one the girls came into line beside her.

They looked out over a long, wide river valley. The river itself seemed to be at least half a mile wide. The other end of the valley was perhaps two miles away. Half a mile or so to their right was a small village surrounded by farms. Thick woodlands covered the far side of the valley and parts of the near side. Below them and just past the slope was a rock-paved road.

“Ahead of you is the Great River,” Cassia said. “Below us is the Great River Road. This is where we turn west. We are just a few days from Crown’s Hold.”

“Can we take the road?” Alia asked.

“No. Our group would earn comments. Several girls do not travel in the company of a lone woman, much less a woman and two elves. Those comments would eventually reach the Guild. I wished to show you this so that you remember that I know what I am doing.”

She turned to the elf. “Chris, is James still below?” she asked in English.

He nodded. “Yes. I believe he’s getting your new clothes and disguise.”

“Good.” She turned back to the girls and spoke in Latin. “Let us head back down the slope and rest for a while.”

The group went back down. Everyone sat down on the ground. Even Vina appeared just a bit too winded to practice. Half an hour passed before James walked up carrying a large bundle. He opened it and spread it out in front of Cassia. There was a new dress, a cloak, a traveling bag, and a wicker basket half-full of bottles. Cassia took the dress and a piece of paper from the bag and went to the nearest tree to change.

I really liked wearing men’s clothes, she thought. They have been good for fighting and for walking. I may still have some walking to do, but I pray no fighting. Strange that I should feel this way about what I wear. Perhaps it might be wise to talk about it with someone. Bart? Debbie?

I shall figure that out later. For now I should focus my thoughts on these potions. I need to be able to carry off this disguise very well. I cannot be challenged on any of them.

Once she had changed into the dress she took a moment to read the names and descriptions on the list. She then walked back to the others. She motioned to Alia, and led her a short distance away.

“Can I trust you to heed the elves?” she asked the girl.

“Why?”

“Our plan is for me to go to the village and buy some food. The group must keep moving, as I will be a traveler on the road. I will rejoin the group once I am past the village.”

“Why tell me this, or ask me to heed the elves?”

“You are the tallest and strongest, if not the oldest. Someone must keep everyone moving.”

“Would it not be better, then, for me to go with you?”

“You do not look like you could be my daughter, my sister, or my servant. Vina could be any one of those. Can I trust you?”

“Might I get something for this trust? A bit more food, perhaps?”

Cassia looked at Alia for an instant. The girl didn’t seem to be joking or defiant. Cassia let out a breath. “I should reply that I will give you something if you answered no. I would be willing to reward you, just this once.”

“Very well.”

“You drive a hard bargain.”

“Is that a good thing?”

“We shall see.”

***

Cassia went over Bart’s advice on being disiguised one last time as she and Vina approached the village. “Don’t say too much,” he had told her all those days ago, before they had teleported to New Port. “Don’t offer information unless it suits your purpose. Avoid small talk; just do your business and move on. Be courteous, but not especially so. Think about what you’ll say, stick to it as best you can, but be careful about appearing stiff. Above all, keep your wits, no matter what.”

She stopped and glanced at Vina. She has the easier role, she mused. All she has to do is be my servant. Look down and do as I say. Cassia let out a breath and resumed the walk into the village.

As it happened, a small farmer’s market was going on. This wasn’t too strange; some of the early vegetables and grains were coming in, and the Domains were in the midst of the last active travel period of the year before the saints’ festivals. It was also true that some residents of nearby villages were also there to make their own trades and arrangements. Cassia noticed that a few of the people around glanced at her, but did not challenge her or otherwise gave her a second thought.

She walked up to a man with a half-dozen baksets of vegetables. “Good man, what do you have that would last a few days on the road?” she asked.

The man pointed to a basket of squash, one of potatoes, and another of apples. “May I ask, what is a young lady such as yourself doing on the road?” he said.

“I am going to Crown’s Hold to meet my brother, and the man he wishes me to marry.”

“Congratulations, young miss. Are you not worried for your safety?”

“I can fend for myself.” Cassia held up a blue stone tied around her neck. It was, in fact, what she would take hold of when it was time to teleport back to the Republic. The stone resembled the powerstones that spellcasters wore. Showing it would reinforce the rest of her disguise.

“You are a wizardess?”

“No. I only make potions, but I can defend myself. My brother is the true wizard. He is a healer.”

“Have you any potions on you?”

Cassia turned to Vina. “Girl, the basket.” Vina handed her the basket of bottles. “I fear I do not have all that much, nor can I make anything.”

The man smiled. “That is fine. I ask not for me, but for my friend Paulus. His bakery is across the way. He might trade for bread, and I know he has dealt in potions for traveling wizards, and sometimes for us.”

‘Then I shall visit him.”

Cassia purchased a handful of potatoes, a sqaush, and a few apples from the man. She then walked across the street and down two buildings to the bakery. She looked at the one man in the shop. “Good man, are you Paulus, the baker?”

The man smiled to her. “For a young lady, I could be. Who asks?”

“Your neighbor across the way, Samnus, said that you might trade potions for bread. I am Callia. I am going to Crown’s Hold to meet my brother, and the man he wants me to marry. I need food for the journey.”

“And you cast potions?”

“That is how I help my brother. He is the healer.”

“Let me see what you have.”

Cassia handed him the basket. The baker eventually took out five bottles. He offered four loaves of bread. Cassia asked if he might have some sweets to ease her travel. He threw in a dozen sugar cookies. She accepted the deal and made the trade. From there she went to one other farmer and bought a half-dozen carrots. Satisfied with her bounty, she led Vina out of the village.

Once they had walked for just over half an hour she asked the girl, “Did you learn anything from this?”

“Was there a lesson?”

“Yes.”

The girl was silent for a moment. “What is it?”

“When disguised, it is best to do your business and move along.”

“What of it?”

“To fight our fight, sometimes we must pretend that we are someone else. That is how we carry out our missions, or gather information.”

“I might have to disguise myself?”

“You might, yes.”

“I shall remember that, then.”

“Good. Now, what do you hear?”

Vina again fell silent for a short time. “I hear nothing.”

“Yes. What of it?”

“Of nothing?”

“Everything is a clue, Vina. What do you not hear?”

Vina listened again. “No birds, I suppose.”

“No squirrels or other small mammals moving about, too.”

“Yes. What of it?”

“When nature falls silent, it means that something has disturbed it.”

“Like what?”

“Like him.” Cassia pointed to her left, where James was just emerging from the wilderness. She caught sight of Vina as she turned; the girl appeared relieved, as if Cassia had gotten her suddenly nervous.

She and Vina left the road and went up to James. Cassia opened the sack of food she had bought in the village. “This should last us two days, yes?” she asked him.

“It should, but it might be wise to make another run into a village tomorrow.”

“Fair enough.” She turned to Vina. “Now you have a story to tell the others. You made it through your first mission.”

The girl smiled. “I did, did I not?”

“You did. But there is always the next one.”

***

Settlements were closer together in this part of the Domains. Cassia and the elves decided the group would pass by one village the following morning and that she would enter another in the afternoon. Once again Cassia chose Vina to accompany her while leaving Alia with the rest. Cassia and Vina continued in their disguises of the previous day’s effort.

This second village, however, was much less quiet than the first. No one had stalls, baskets, or barrels out on the street. Indeed, it seemed to Cassia that there was much less general activity than there ought to be. The one shop in town that clearly seemed open was the bakery. Cassia led Vina inside, and she spoke to the one man at work, a fat man with curly dark hair.

“Good sir,” she asked, “are you the baker?”

“I am, Miss,” he said with a gap-toothed smile. “I am Julius the Baker. Who are you, and what brings you to our village?”

“I am Callia. I am on my way to Crown’s Hold to meet my brother, and the man he thinks might be a good husband.”

“I see. I wish you luck with the young man. What brings you to my shop?”

“I had hoped to buy provisions for my journey. It seems few are about and only you appear to be selling anything. Why is that, good baker?”

“Most of our farmers have gone to the markets in Crown’s Hold to sell and buy.”

“I see. Then I suppose we must press on.”

“Young lady, I do have bread to sell, if you are interested.”

“Certainly. Bread is better than nothing, yes?”

“Indeed so. Have you coins?”

“I can pay by coin, or by potions.”

“Potions, Miss? You are a wizardess?”

“A minor one, I fear. My brother is a healer. I know enough to make potions, and to defend myself. If you have a need, I am willing to trade.”

The baker pressed his lips together. “It would not be for me, young lady. Gregorius, a local youth, just married a girl from another village. It seems she has fallen ill in the last day or so, yet no one knows what ails her. Gregorius has not let any of us into his home.”

Cassia raised her right hand. “I shall go there, and ask if I may help.”

“You would not allow me to buy for them?”

“I may not have the right potion. I have done some trading since leaving home, good sir. I shall pay you for what I want from you. I will go to this Gregorius and, if I can help his wife I shall.”

“That is most kind of you, Miss.”

Cassia picked out two long loaves of bread. The baker told her where Gregorius’ home was. She walked from the baker’s to the house at a brisk pace. She went up to the door and knocked.

“Who is it?” a man’s voice called from inside.

“I am Callia. I make potions. Julius, the baker, told me that your wife is ill. I would like to help, if I can.”

“I have little money to spare.”

“I do not seek money. Only to help. Tell me what ails her, and I will check what I have on hand.”

“She has the red fever.”

“Give me a moment.”

Cassia motioned to Vina to bring around the basket of bottled potions. She took out the list she kept in her cloak. She glanced down the list to see if any potion that could help was one of those packed. She found one, and beside it the name for another. She checked on the second name. The first was a cure for the illness, the second a preventative for those close to the sick person. She looked in the basket for both potions and found them.

Holding the bottles in her left hand, she tapped the door with her right. “I have one to cure her, and one to keep you from getting the fever.”

The door opened. She was met by a young man, perhaps seventeen years old. He wore an expression of nervous anxiety touched slightly by hope. He motioned to Cassia to come in. Cassia turned to Vina and nodded to her to follow.

Once inside Cassia asked, “Where is she?”

Gregorius pointed to a bed to their right.

Cassia turned to Vina and handed her the second bottle. “Wait by the table,” she said. She looked at Gregorius. “You should as well.”

While the two moved to the table on the left side of the tiny home, Cassia went to the bed. Lying in bed was a fair-haired girl maybe no more than sixteen. Her cheeks were bright red. Cassia asked her to stick out her tongue, which was also red. She asked the girl to roll over. She pulled down part of her dress and saw the rash on her back. The girl did indeed have the red fever.

Cassia looked at the label on the bottle. It read, “Ten drops on the tongue, one on each cheek, and one on the back. Reddening diminishes quickly, illness is cured in two days.” She took out the cork, and saw a small stick embedded in it that would allow her to dispense the potion.

She looked at the girl. “Stick out your tongue again.” She dabbed out ten drops onto the girl’s tongue. She dabbed two more on each cheek. “Roll over.” She dabbed one last drop onto the girl’s back just below her neck.

“Will that cure me?” the girl asked in a rough, tiny voice.

Cassia smiled to her. “It should. We will know soon enough if it works. Wait and keep resting.”

She put the cork back into the bottle. She went to the table and put the bottle down. She held out her hand to Vina, and she put the second bottle into her hand. Cassia looked at the label. It read, “Ten drops on the tongue of those who have been with the sick for more than a day. Five drops on the tongue for those who have been with the sick for less than one day.”

Cassia looked at Gregorius. “Sit down, then open your mouth and stick out your tongue.” Once he complied she dabbed out ten drops on his tongue. She dabbed out five to Vina, and then five to herself. She replaced the cork, put the bottle on the table, then sat down. “We can stay a while to make certain the cure takes,” she said.

“What did you say your name was?” the young man asked.

“Callia. This is my servant, Vina.”

“You make poitions, but are not a healer?”

Cassia paused for a moment to consider how to reply. Common sense. “Yes,” she said slowly. “My brother is a healer. My parents did not allow me to study, though I had the same ability as he. He took me away from them and taught me to help him.”

“Where is he?”

“In Crown’s Hold. He said he has been working there. I am going to see him. He also tells me that he had met a man who might make a good husband.” She smiled. “We shall see.”

He waved at Vina. “Is this your slave?”

“No. Vina is my servant.”

“What is the difference?”

“I do not own Vina. She is free.”

“Who has free servants?”

“Wise men, my brother would say, and wise women, I would add. Servants do not run away like slaves do, despite what the Guild says. I taught Vina what I know of fighting, so she might help protect me if we encountered trouble. You would never do that to a slave. If we did encounter trouble, a slave would do anything but help.”

“I suppose that makes sense. You are rich enough to pay her?”

 “Not yet. For now we share food and board. But I shall when I return to my brother. A paid servant is more loyal than a bought slave.”

“It must be good to have that much coin.”

“Why do you say that?”

He nodded towards the bed. “Maria’s older sister was sold so her family might make it past a poor harvest. She might have been sold, had we not met and fell in love at the saint’s festival in Crown’s Hold last year.”

“I have heard such things many times,” Cassia said. More than you will ever know. “I know of one other man in Crown’s Hold. I will give your names to him. My brother tells me that he tries to help families in such condition.”

“How?”

“I do not know for certain. I see that you have little, like most families in small villages. Perhaps one day he can prevent you from having to sell your children. Perhaps sooner he can help your wife’s family.”

“You would do that for us?”

“All that prevented my parents from selling me was that I had the ability to cast spells. I learned that it is against the law for the Guild to accept such children as slaves. That, and my brother’s love, are what saved me. I know that selling children brings some coins, but does great harm to the family and the children sold into slavery. If I can stop that from happening to just one other family, yes, I would do that.”

Gregorius’ face brightened. “That is most kind, Miss. What do I owe you for these potions?”

“Let us make certain they work, first.”

Cassia stood up and walked to the bed. The girl’s cheeks were a shade less red than before. She asked to see the girl’s tongue. It was much less red than before. Cassia breathed a sigh of relief then sat back down again.

“The cure is working,” she told Gregorius. “It will take another day or two for her to be completely well.”

“We have no money to pay you.”

“Might you have something from your garden you could spare?”

“I could look.”

“Please do. My servant and I have some travel ahead of us yet.”

Gregorius rose and left the house. Cassia saw Vina open her mouth to speak. Cassia shook her head, then nodded towards the bed. Vina looked, nodded, then closed her mouth. A moment later Gregorius returned with two tomatoes.

He handed them to Cassia. “These are the only ripe ones.”

She looked at them for a moment. She knew it wouldn’t be wise to ask for more. After all, to him there was just her and Vina. More importantly, to make such a request on such a young couple who clearly had so little would be beyond unkind.

“They will do.” She put the tomatoes into her traveling bag. She handed the bottles to Vina. “Put those with the others.” Vina nodded and did as she was told.

Cassia turned to Gregorius. “We should reach Crown’s Hold tomorrow. I shall ask the man I mentioned to contact you. That way, if my brother intends to take his trade elsewhere, someone will make certain your wife is better.”

“That is all too kind, Miss. Thank you.”

“It was good to be of help.” She stood up. “Until your wife is better, you should not have guests in your house. I think tomorrow it would be safe for you to go out and speak to your neighbors, resume work, and so forth.”

“Good.”

“You should both rest today and tonight.”

“We shall. I shall not forget your kindness, Miss.”

“Remember what I said about slavery, young man. Fare well.”

“Safe journey to you, and thank you.”

Cassia led Vina out of the house. They got back onto the road and left the village. They walked in silence until the reached the point where James was waiting for them. They turned towards him. Cassia raised her right hand and stopped several yards away from him.

“We were in a house with the red fever,” she told him.

“Are you sick?” he replied.

“No. We gave out the curing potion, and we both took the preventative potion. Are we safe to rejoin the group?”

The elf closed his eyes and raised his arms in their direction. He muttered for a moment, then lowered his hands and opened his eyes. “The disease has not taken to either of you,” he said.

Cassia let out a deep sigh of relief. “Good. We have some things to talk about tonight, James.”

“I should think so.”

She and Vina followed him into the wilderness. Once they were off the road Vina said, “You went beyond your disguise, Cassia.”

“I had to. You know why, yes?”

“Yes. Why did you say what you did about slavery?”

“It was the truth, for one thing. You are not wearing a collar, for another.”

“But why not just say that I was your servant, and stop there?”

Cassia stopped and looked at the girl. “Because I am the Blue Pistol,” she said, certain that her simple reply explained everything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...