Until Embry Met Eli

By hemmsos

18-year-old Embry Lincoln is just about to begin college at West Percclare University in Connecticut. Convinc... More

welcome!
the beginning
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
the end

chapter two

22 1 0
By hemmsos

West Percclare's Dating University focuses solely on the characteristics, interests, and integrity of each student. 

Within our dating pool, please restrain from giving out personal information, such as your name, until both parties have agreed to meet and or share such information.

Pictures of students will not be shared to further WPDU's mission to know each personality before physical features.

Not having to include photos of myself did take off some of the pressure. Although, I still thought it was a little weird.

Please create a username.

First and last names will not be accepted.

Great. A username. I had to think of something that wasn't going to be embarrassing or too boring. If I'm going to download this thing, the last thing I'm going to do is make a fool of myself.

After one minute of brainstorming and an online generator, I entered in readawhile27. My favorite hobby and number mixed into one.

The following page brought me to a list of questions, all ranging from basic information to personal interests.

What year are you?: Freshman

What is your age?: 18

What is your major?: English

What residence hall do you live in?: Meyers

I began filling in the easier questions, the one's where I didn't have to put in much thought. But there were only a few of those - the next ones ranged from "What are you looking for in a partner?" and "What pushes you to do better?"

"What pushes you to do better?" Better in what? School? Relationships? Life in general? What did this question even mean?

I skipped around and went to the personal questions I knew I could answer.

What is your favorite past time?: Reading or writing. Mostly reading.

What is your favorite kind of music?: Jazz.

If you could travel to one place in the world, where would you go?: London. That's where all the greatest novels are written.

What is your ideal date?:

What was my ideal date? I hadn't even been on a date since Danny.

Although, my best memories with him seemed to be the times we talked with one another. And I mean just sitting down, staring back at one another, and just talking - about life, school, or anything. Something about just having a conversation with someone was what I liked the most.

Maybe that's my ideal time to spend with someone?

Although, I've rarely had any one on one conversation with someone I haven't known my entire childhood, especially in a date setting. There is no way I'm gonna be able to follow through with meeting someone. Yet, to meet someone means I'd have to get at least one match. Was anyone going to even like me on this thing? It's not like they can see what I look like.

I toyed with my answer to the question, entering in what I thought was simple yet genuine.

What is your ideal date?: Coffee and a conversation.

"How's it going over there?" Louise asked, interrupting my concentration on these very, hard-hitting questions.

"Oh, really great," hoping my sarcasm made its way to her side of the room. "Can I stop now?"

"Not until you have your first match! Have you even finished your profile yet?"

I shook my head no in response, hoping she'd get distracted and concentrate on something else. But the look Louise gave me was one of disappointment if I didn't finish filling this thing out.

Maybe, in a parallel universe, this app could be good for me. Maybe this was the push I needed. Or maybe, this was the worst possible thing I could do for myself.

After another ten minutes, my profile was complete and ready for the horny and newest freshman of "WPDU" to find.

"Let me see it, let me see!" Louise practically jumped off her bed to grab my phone out of my hands.

"'Coffee and a conversation.' Embry, really?"

"What's wrong with getting coffee with someone?" I could admit, my answer was a bit cheesy. "Why, what's your answer to that question?"

"You don't want to know."

"I think I actually hate you," I said jokingly, nudging her by the hip to get off my bed. "Now what?"

"Now you swipe, read some profiles, and hope you find someone who is worth your time.'"

"What if no one likes me back?" If I just wasted 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, I'll scream.

"Would you just swipe already?" Louise went back on her phone, probably about to do the same thing.

I let out a slightly agitated sigh and began looking through all the male profiles WPDU had to offer. I didn't really know what I was looking for, or who I was looking for for that matter. "Online dating" isn't something I really expected to be partaking in my first night here.

A few profiles caught my eye, but nothing too catching. One guy went by the username jack-of-all-trade$, who said he's only looking for girls with either tattoos or body piercings. The closest thing I had to a "body" piercing are my pierced ears that I got at Claires when I was eleven years old.

So much in looking for personality and not appearances.

Username rocknroll88's profile said that his typical day in the life is one where he is "making songs with his guitar." This was one of the first charming answers I had seen, giving me hope about the process. Until I read that he "wasn't going to waste his time with freshman," which meant my 50/50 chance at matching with him became zero.

I wasn't completely hopeless about the boys I was going to find on here, and yes - I restrained from calling them "men." Deep down, I was somewhat optimistic about the whole thing. That, or I was lying to myself.

After swiping through profile after profile - was it too soon to say my thumbs were sore, yet? - the next boy seemed to posses the qualities and personalities I didn't know I was searching for. Con-artist01 was a twenty year old junior and lived in the Rodger's Residence Hall, which happened to be Meyer's next door neighbor. Looking through the answers to some of his questions, the more I envisioned who this person was in my head.

What is your favorite past time?: Either hanging out with my friends

or practicing illustration. I love to draw and learn graphic

design any chance I can get.

Most of the answers I found to this questions involved drinking games or watching sports, not that there was anything wrong with that, but this one had substance. I admired people who were creative, especially those who are able to draw and design.

I always thought of writing and drawing to be similar, painting images of a story in your head. Although, one you can see in front of you and the other you have to imagine.

Not only was con-artist01's favorite movie franchise the Avengers, but his profile said he had traveled to Europe this past summer. If it was London, I wanted to ask him a hundred questions if I could.

The more I analyzed his profile, I thought, what better person to try and match with than this one. I had to like someone at some point, so why not him?

I clicked the green button on the bottom right corner that said MATCH in all caps. Almost instantly, a new message appeared on my screen: You have an instant match!

"I guess someone liked me back," I said out loud. I had been at this for almost a thirty minutes now, a part of me was about to turn off my phone and be done with this.

"See! I told you, all you had to do was sign up. Someone was bound to like you back." Louise seemed so sure about the whole thing. Although I have the slightest bit of optimism in me, I was almost positive I wasn't going to be interested in ever meeting this person outside the app. "You're going to message him."

"That's funny," I laughed. Louise said nothing about messaging anyone, nor matching with anyone for that matter. All I had to do was make a profile, already having completed her wish.

But I didn't have to message him, because a message from Con-artist01 was already waiting in my inbox. The app works this fast? I thought.

From con-artist01: Hi readawhile27, I like your profile. You seem like someone I would want to get to know more, and what better time than the present? There's a welcome back kick off tonight at the fraternity house, willing to meet me there? Hoping you say yes.

God, no. I felt like I couldn't keep up with the pace of this day already. What happened to just messaging the word hey first? Why did this guy already want to meet with me? I did want to know more about him, but through the app, not from his face just yet.

"He messaged me," telling Louise I had a message might have been the worst thing for my sanity, but it had already come out of my mouth.

"Of course he did. What did he say?" Louise made her way over to my bed once again as if this news was groundbreaking. I could feel my cheeks already getting red as I spoke the message out loud.

"You're responding. You are going to this party. I'll do your hair, I'll help pick out your clothes, you're going to look so hot! You can even borrow a pair of my heels and-"

"Louise, slow down," I cut her off for my own good. "I am not going to this thing and I am not meeting him. I already told you what I want to do tonight, read a book and prepare for classes." Even as I said it I knew I was probably the lamest person on this campus. I knew what I liked and what I wanted to do, even if that meant I was boring. Structure and routine was important to me.

"This party can and will be the beginning of our social status at this school. Meeting this boy can be the start to the dating life you deserve."

"There are plenty of other days to start it," I responded. I knew Louise was only trying to help, but "going out" wasn't something I really did. In Walsh, there was no where to go out.

"Em, I don't want you to look back on your first year of college and regret it. Your books will be here tomorrow."

"I know, but I-"

"Embry, pleeeeease. I am going to be selfish and say I need you to go. Im going to this party and I am not going alone. And since you have to come with me, you can meet your mystery date, too."

"I told you before I would download the app, and it didn't mean I was going to talk or meet with anyone."

"Would you just stop it and take a risk! I am not going to stop bothering you about this until you say yes. Please, please, please-"

"Louise, would you stop-" I already had a terrifying and unavoidable feeling that this party was going to involve my presence.

"No. Please, Embry, please. I will never ask you for anything else again. Please, please-"

"Fine!" The word spilled out of me with no sign of warning. I had to shut her up, but I did it without understanding what I had just agreed to.

Just like that, Louise shot up with the most excitement I had seen all day. "I knew you had it in you! Aw, I'm so proud of you," Louise squeeze my cheeks as if I was her child. I wanted nothing more than to shake the girl and ask her what I did to deserve this. So much for my quiet night in the dorm.

"You're gonna thank me for this," Louise said. I rolled my eyes back in annoyance. "Well what are you waiting for, respond back!"

"What do I even say?" All my fears were coming true. To most, this shouldn't be a big deal. Messaging a boy back on a dating site and meeting him at a party didn't sound too unheard of, so why was I wigging out so bad? Sometimes I wish I could just swap Louise's brain for mine. I needed her confidence - now.

"You say yes, obviously." It sounded simple, yet I made everything complicated.

"Okay." I opened the app back up and clicked the lingering message.

From readawhile27: Yes, I'd like to meet you, too. Tonight sounds good.

The last two hours consisted of Louise running around our dorm, rummaging through unpacked boxes for the right outfit. For Louise, I was the stencil for her creation for the night.

She pulled her five inch black pumps from one of her suitcases, waving them in the air like they were the staple piece for my evening attire.

"No way, absolutely not," I demanded. There was no way I was going to be able to stand in five inch heels, let alone any type of high-heel at all. I was already mentally prepared in wearing my high top converse.

"There is no way I am letting you go to this wearing your dirty, falling a part sneakers. As your best friend, it is my duty to stop you."

"Look, I said yes to coming to this party. The least you could do is let me wear the shoes of my choice."

"Fine," Louise agreed. "But I have control in the rest of your outfit." Louise went back to sifting through each article of clothing she managed to squeeze within her bags. Eventually, she pulled out some black ripped skinny jeans and a yellow shirt that was definitely way to small for me to fit into.

"If you think I'm gonna be able to fit into that shirt, you're crazy."

"At least try the jeans. You can choose one of your shirts, but I need to approve the final look." Louise was starting to sound like my mother. Who knew that planning an outfit for a frat party was going to be so critical?

I began looking through the nicest shirts I had, unsure what really to wear to something like this. What did boys find attractive these days? You'd think I'd never had a boyfriend before.

I pulled out one of my favorite go-to shirts, a white halter top that ended right at the bottom of my belly button. It wasn't too long, but wasn't too short to the point where I was completely self conscious. The black skinny jeans were high waisted and fit just right, curving the shape of my body nicely. Although, I did debate on what to tie around my waist. I never really go out in something that hugs my body this tight, especially to something like this.

I debated back and forth between a blue and white flannel or red cardigan to tie around myself, ultimately choosing the flannel. Even though it was still warm during the beginning of September, I was bound to get cold some point tonight, another reason to bring the extra layer.

I head over to the mirror to asses both my makeup and my hair. I really hadn't any time today to make myself look nice, move-in-day wasn't something I really planned on dressing up for.

I added some touch ups of mascara and foundation over the spots that I've sweat off throughout the day. I've never really been heavy on the makeup, the most I'd use is a light layer of eye shadow around my eyes and call it a day. Typically, I'm comfortable with just mascara and foundation to do the trick. As for my hair, that was another story - it was already tangled up and greasy from the heat that no amount of dry shampoo was going to fix it. I took a spray bottle and dampened some of my red curls in hopes to make them look more alive by the time they dried. I fixed my hair in my usual go-to style, a little pony tail at the top of my head with the rest of my hair down.

I stepped towards the full length mirror and did a quick, self evaluation. I can't believe you're actually going to this. I kept telling myself that this was going to be good for me, some way or another. Although, I could already feel my hands shaking from how nervous I already was. Almost everything made me nervous.

"Let me look at you," Louise said, standing in a black body con dress with the five inch pumps I had denied. "You look amazing! Although, I do wish you would do something different to your hair."

Ignoring her comment I respond, "Thanks." I walk over to my dresser and grab my perfume. I spray it all over my body, smelling of sweet vanilla and berries.

"Here, take this," Louise says handing me a shot of vodka.

"Where did you even get this?"

"Oh don't act surprised, you know I have my fake ID." You could definitely say Louise was prepared for college.

"Why am I taking this?"

"To calm you down. You're already doing that thing where you tuck your hair again and again behind your ear." I hadn't even noticed I was enacting my nervous habit. We hadn't even left the dorm room yet. I grabbed the shot glass out of Louise's hand and took the shot - my whole face scrunches as it goes down my throat, never really having been a fan of vodka. Though I will admit, I already felt the tiniest bit better.

As I was managing some last finishing touches on my hair, my phone buzzed from across the room. It was a message from Con-artist01.

From con-artist01: I was hoping you'd say that. I'll be there around 11,

wearing a blue t-shirt, black pants, and checkered vans. I'm also pretty tall,

so I'll stick out in a crowd. See you there.

Maybe I should have picked the heels.

***

As I prayed for any extra time I may get to sulk in the Uber, Louise was already dragging me by the hand onto the sidewalk in front of the fraternity house. It was 11:16 when we arrived, alongside Riley and her roommate. I thought it was nice we all went together, I already felt as though I was making friends on my first night here, two more than I expected to make.

I clutched my purse tightly as a pack of drunken boys ran by, almost knocking myself onto the pavement. One of them yelled back "sorry," but it was more than a slur than anything, clearly already drunk.

Little did Louise know that I had come prepared for the night, having packed a book in my purse incase I needed an escape from this potential nightmare. What I liked to call my "on-the-go book," was always Little Women. I never got tired of reading it. And from what I learned in the past, you never know when you're going to need an on-the-go book, whether it be at the dmv, waiting at the dentist, or a frat party that's going to go awfully wrong.

"Here we go you guys, our first frat party of many to come." God, I hope not.

"Lets do it," Riley said, already walking ahead with her roommate. Louise grabbed me aside from behind, beginning one of her typical pep talks.

"You got this. You look so hot, so cute, and ready to talk to any boy in there." I had forgotten for a split second that I was meeting a boy at this thing.

As we got closer to the door, my nose was instantly met with the smell of weed and the fruity flavors of the different types of alcohols. We practically had to squeeze our way through, people packed up against each side of the walls like sardines. If Louise wasn't holding my hand dragging me through the crowd, I'd be lost in a corner somewhere.

"Did he say where he was gonna be?" Louise shouted over the blaring music. I hope that who's ever neighbors with this fraternity doesn't mind getting zero sleep tonight.

"I have no idea," I shouted back.

"Let's find the kitchen." The two of us pushed between more and more people. Riley and her roommate were off somewhere within the house, who knows when we'd be able to find them with this many people here. How was I even gonna find this guys?

The kitchen was still packed, but there was a little room to breathe. I almost felt like a little kid, not knowing where I belonged and surrounded by grown ups. The girls here were dressed head to toe in full on glam. Taking one glance at myself in the passing mirror, I already regretted my outfit choice.

"What did he say he was wearing again?" Louise shouted again.

"Blue shirt, black pants, checkered vans. It could literally be anybody."

"You mean like that guy?" Louise pointed to the blonde hair boy who was leaning up against the sofa in the other room. Blue shirt, black pants, checkered vans. I was frightened at how easy that was.

"Well what are you waiting for?"

"For the night to end," I shout back.

"Embry, seriously, go over there. Think about how great this will be to look back on, you being brave on your first night of college." There really was no point in me trying to push this off any longer. I had already downloaded the app, I already got ready, and I'm already standing inside a frat house. All that was left is to go over there and introduce myself as readawhile27.

I fluff out the curls at the end of my hair and adjust my top before mustering up the courage to walk over.

"I'm going to find Riley, text me if you need me. You got this!" Louise gave me one last pat on the back as a final send off. I didn't want her to stray too far, but I knew I couldn't have her breathing down my shoulder.

I pushed past a couple making out in the middle of the floor to get into the den. Luckily for me, the music wasn't as piercing as it was in the other rooms. The boy was standing with his back to me as I tapped on his shoulder.

The tall, lengthy blue eyed boy looked down at me and gave me a wide smile. "Hi," he said. The boy smelled of cologne and stale beer.

"Uh, Hi..." I stammered. "Are you...Con-artist01?"

He let out a chuckle, "Yes, you can call me Connor. And you must be readawhile27, but that can't be your real name, can it?"

"No, it's Embry. You can call me Em, too."

"Embry, that's a pretty name. You're very pretty as well." I couldn't even remember the last time a boy had called me pretty.

I clearly was flustered already, for some reason, compliments made me freeze. "Th-thank you," I let out a laugh of self embarrassment. "So, you're into illustration?" I couldn't think of any other sentence to say. I was already so nervous that I had been tucking my hair behind my ears this entire time.

"Yeah, I'm majoring in illustration and graphic design. Drawing is kinda my thing. Your profile said you like reading?"

"Yes, ever since I was a kid. I hope to be an author myself some day."

"I love that. I haven't met a lot of people who want to write books, so that's pretty neat." He gave me another smile. This guy was pretty cute, too. "And you're a freshman, right?"

"Yeah. Are you too?" I asked, already forgetting that his profile stated he was a junior.

"Nah, I'm a junior. I hope you're liking WPU so far."

"Yeah, it's nice." Not like I've been here for more than twenty four hours. "Are you part of the fraternity?"

"God no, fraternities aren't for me." That was the answer I was hoping he was going to say. I was pretty sure fraternity boys weren't my thing. "Were you planning on coming to this party tonight before I asked you?"

"My roommate asked me before you did, so we were thinking about it," I responded. Little did he know I was practically forced against my will to come here tonight. "You're really the reason I came tonight," I stretched the truth, only a little.

"You're cute," Connor said smiling. "Would you like a drink?"

"What kind of drink?"

"An alcoholic one?" He laughed at my question. "They got beer, vodka, fireball, a jungle juice of some sorts," he continued on.

"Beer is fine." I wasn't a heavy drinker, so I responded with the first option he named.

"You got it. You stay here and I'll be right back." This wasn't going as awful as I pictured it would, I thought to myself. Connor seemed like a genuinely nice person, and he wasn't kidding when he said he was tall.

I texted Louise an update on how things were going.

Me: con-artist01 is actually Connor. He's off getting me a drink right now.

I stood in the corner of the room awkwardly as I waited for Connor. I evaluated all the other students who were here as I glanced around the room. I watched two frat boys get in an argument about who won the last round of cup pong, while I watched a couple make out way too aggressively on the communal couch. Something about that type of PDA made me cringe.

About five or so minutes went by and Connor had yet to come back. I was wondering why it was taking him so long, considering the kitchen was just in the other room. Maybe he got caught up talking with a friend? I mean, he is a junior, it's safe to say he might know a few people at this party.

I let a few more minutes pass until I started to fear for the worst. I was the queen at taking things into orbit and doubting every good thing that was happening to me. Why was I overlooking the slightest, minuscule thing?

But it wasn't until almost 15 minutes passed by that I let my worrying get the best of me, and justifiably so. I was more than confident to say that it didn't take almost twenty minutes to fix a drink for your date. Would I even classify this as a date?

I decided to abandon the corner I had been standing in and venture throughout the house to find Connor. Once again, pushing my way through drunk kids wasn't something I loved doing, but I guess it was part of the experience. I eventually made my way into the living room where the majority of the party was taking place. I scanned throughout the crowd looking for the tall kid I had just met. But again, nothing.

It wasn't until I made my way back to the kitchen, hoping I'd find him fixing up a drink in his hand. Only to find another girl with her legs wrapped around him as their faces pressed together. Blue shirt, black pants, checkered vans. Yep, it was Connor.

You have got to be kidding me.

With my jaw wide open, I turned around and left the room. Was I living in an alternate universe? I did not download this app, accept the peer pressure of my best friend, and come to this god forsaken party that I didn't want to go to in the first place, only for this to happen. But who was I kidding, this would happen to me.

I found the quickest way to the backyard and made my way outside into the fresh air. I wanted to text Louise, but I was too embarrassed to tell her that this was already a bust. And more importantly, I didn't want to cut her first night of college short. Instead, I made my way to the stone wall that separated the neighboring house and sat on it. There were only a few people out in the yard, luckily. I didn't know if I felt like screaming, going back in there, or leaving the party - all of which were good options. Who even was that girl? Was he already drunk and that's why he was kissing her? He didn't seem drunk when we spoke.

I felt so embarrassed for even showing my face here. All I wanted was to be in bed with a book and get a decent amount of sleep before school started in the morning. I knew this was too good to be true.

Instead of going inside to face Louise, I sat outside for a bit longer. I remembered I had brought my book with me, subconsciously knowing it was going to save me from this horrible night, or at least for the time being. I opened up Little Woman and began reading where I left off, hoping to pass the time until Louise stumbled upon or texted me.

"Reading at a party?" The voice interjected my thought, causing me to look up. Another tall boy was standing in front of me. Except this one had curly brown hair and dimples. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 5.2K 41
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
11.4M 296K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...
7.3M 205K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...
99.6K 4.1K 189
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...