The Girl who Survived (Fred...

By Mystic_sins

"You forget, I notice everything too" "I love you tulip" "You know you can be very sweet sometimes, and then... More

Authors note
Ch. 1 A day at the park
Ch. 2 A Wand and a Friend
Ch 3. Last Day of Summer Holiday
Author's Note
Ch 4. And so, It Began
Ch 5. Start as Friendships
Ch 6. The other Suitor
Ch 7. A Confession
CH 8. Gift of Knowledge
CH 9. The First Truth
CH 10. Collection
CH 11. Secrets
CH 12. Rumors Hurt
CH 13. The Black Dog
CH 14. First Holiday Away
CH 15. Confrontations
Authors note
CH 16. Coming Alive
CH 17. Blinded Visions
CH 18. The Truth about Padfoot, Moony and Wormtail
CH 19. The Do Over Day
CH 20. Some Kind of Ending
CH 21. The First Time
CH 22. A Different Type of Feeling
CH. 23 The Sound of Water
CH 24. A Very Weasley Summer
CH 25. Feelings Return
CH 26. The World Cup
CH 27. Back to school
CH 28. A New Defense
CH 29. The Goblet Has Spoken
CH 30. Technically the Truth
CH 31. Well Done Dragon
CH 32. Dates and Ball Gowns
CH 33. The Yule Ball PT. 1
CH 34. The Yule Ball Pt. 2
CH 35. The Black Lake
CH. 36 Visions or Dreams
CH 37. Sweater Weather
CH 39. Biscotti and The Hogwarts March
CH. 40 Blinding
CH 41. Aftermath
CH 42 The Quiet That Follow
CH 43. Reading
CH 44. Future mornings
CH 45. Guardian
CH 46. A New Year
CH 47. Cutting Deep
CH 48. Trust
CH 49. Leftfield Conversations
CH 50. Strict
CH 51. Psychic Bonding
CH 52. Good Days Turned Banned
CH 53. Cunning
CH 54. Letters
CH 55. Occlumency
CH 56. Truths and Burns
CH 57. Awkward Memories
CH 58. A Very Giving Christmas
CH 58. Rhapsody
CH 59. The Last Party
CH 60. Patronus
CH 61. Smashing
CH 62. The First Act
CH 63. Reactions
CH 64. Family Matters
CH 65. Planning
CH 66. Unexpected
CH 67. Lilies
CH 68. The Last Minute
CH 69. A Long Road
CH 69.2 Wedding Night Short
CH 70. Leaving the Bubble
CH 71. The Secret Keeper
CH 72. The Secret Keepers Secrets
CH 73. Reaching out
CH 74. What If's
CH 75. A New Marauder
CH 76. A Reunion
CH. 77 An Invasion of Trust
CH 78. Incoming Rain
Remus Bonus Short
CH 79. Smell of Home
CH 80. Joy and Grief
CH 81. Similar Actions
CH 81. Returning
CH 83. Decisions
CH 84. Fear
CH 85. The Second Act
CH 86. Rubies on the Pitch
CH 87. Inferno
CH 88. Dumbledore's Truth
CH 89. Sectumsempra
CH 90. Plotting
CH 91. Clean
CH 92. The Astronomy Tower
CH 93. Turmoil
CH 94. A Realization
CH 95. Farewell
CH 96. Fight or Flight
CH 97. A Wedding
CH 98. An Arrangement
CH 99. Surviving
CH 100. A Blending of Realities
CH 101. Consequence for Humanity
CH 102. Heart to Heart
CH 103. Avalanche

CH 38. Floating

2.2K 55 66
By Mystic_sins

~Elodie's POV~

I sat in Minerva's office spread out on the recamier casually sipping tea as I tried to work on the study guide for my Divinations exam. She was finishing up a class but would surely come in and grade papers once she dismissed her students. Normally I'd go to Study hall in the Great Hall, or even the Library, but I felt like I needed a change of scenery. That and weeks had passed, and I still didn't know how to sit across from Cedric knowing that he'd look up at me from time to time with those grief struck eyes. He said he wasn't rushing into anything new, meaning he was probably taking things with Cho slow. I wondered how she'd feel over the fact he asked me to play the part in front of his parents at the last challenge in a couple weeks?

​I dipped my quill into my ink pot, only to be surprised by it being empty. Had I really been at it for that long that I hadn't noticed my supply was running low? I kept meaning to buy more, but between classwork, homework and study guides I'd been writing like a mad woman. I looked over to Minerva's desk to look for her Inkwell but came up empty. I stopped my search when I saw the framed photo she kept at her desk. I looked about seven or eight, missing teeth, hair in two braids. This woman, I owe her everything.

​I didn't remember the photo, then again there were still a lot of memories I still hadn't figured out if they were real or not, it was all a jumbled mess I had decided to take a break from. Professor Trelawney had told me, once I sorted everything out, I could possibly remember things as far back to infancy. I liked to think I could, I remembered Sirius and Remus, 16 years younger than they currently were. I was just tired of trying all the time.

​I sat back at my work and looked over everything I'd done so far. I wondered if it was worth interrupting Minerva's class just to get some ink. I leaned back on recamier and looked up at the ceiling. I felt like though I had rid myself of the stress and pressures of a relationship, I still felt an unmanageable weight on my shoulders. I wondered what it was like to not have any worries. To be as light as a feather.

​Let us take control...

You can do so much more...

I closed my eyes and let out a slow deep breath, similar to the meditation exercises I'd been using to try and control the deeper, darker side of my magic. I opened my eyes and things were still the same. I stretched myself out properly and relaxed. Closed my eyes and took in a breath. I wondered what it would feel like to be weightless, to float like a feather about the entire world, looking down, knowing I could fall at any moment, but having had those few moments of bliss would make it enough. When I released it, I kept pushing, further and further. It felt like I had pushed out all the air my body was capable of holding. And for a moment, I felt everything stop. My heart, my brain, the world around me. Everything seemed to sink beneath me. I opened my eyelids to look through unclouded shifted eyes, and with each breath I moved closer and closer to the ceiling. I was floating.

Use us...

We're here with you...

​I let the hissing go on and on, focusing on my breathing. It felt like a million electrical sparks leaving feathered kisses and covering every inch of my body. I felt in control of every nerve of my body. I let a giggle escape my lips as the euphoric and orgasmic feeling took over. I couldn't imagine any better feeling could exist in the world.

​Someone's coming...

​The last hiss spoke right as the door crept open. My head snapped to the side and I felt the shift leave my eyes and I immediately crashed back into the recamier. I landed harder than I thought I would, then again, I'd been higher up than I thought I could.

​ "What in Merlin's name are you doing?" Minerva shouted at me as she quickly shut her office door behind her. She looked at me in disbelief as I rubbed the back of my head that had hit the arm of the recamier a bit too hard. She waited for an answer, but I didn't know how exactly to answer her. What had I been doing? From time to time I'd indulge the hisses and let them guide my decisions, but never like this, never render control.

​ "Floating," I answered, giving her a guilty look.

​She walked over and grabbed my chin to look up at her as she inspected my face. "Last I was aware, 'Floating' around will not help you pass your O.W.L.S. Nor is it keeping a low profile," She said a bit angered. Technically she was right, though I did think that 'Wingardium Leviosa' may be on the exam. After a moment she took a seat next to me, her face softened a bit, but still on edge. "We've talked about this," She told me.

​ "No, you talked about it. We don't know that it was dark magic," I said trying to reason with her, though I knew she was right.

​ "How many witches and wizards, young or old do you know that pass their time 'Floating' around?" She asked me sarcastically. "My dear, it is consuming, addictive. It's too risky to allow yourself to indulge," She pressed further.

​ "I know," I said in a small voice that made me about two feet tall. I could count the number of times she'd ever made me feel like this on one hand, that's how rare it was.

​She took my hand into hers and let out a scoff as she began stroking her thumb across the back of my hand. "You're not a child anymore Elodie. Promise me," She began. "No more fooling around, at least not until we know more," She said.

​What she truly meant to say, was to put an end to it. Wandless magic was one thing, it was well known to wizards. Not everyone was able to actually produce it as comfortably or easily as I could, but it was more common, nonetheless. But if anyone were to find out about the voices, or the dark magic, that's where the problem would lie. If the wrong person found out, that's what she feared the most. All that in addition to the dreams and the leaking visions. Minerva was scared, only now, it was showing through her hard exterior.

​ She wants us gone...

We're yours...

​Keep us safe...

​ "Okay, I promise," I answered and took my hand back. "Do I scare you Mimi?" I asked in a more sinister tone with shifted eyes, letting her see my clouded snake slit eyes.

​ "Remember what I said dear," She said and stroked my cheek, pushing back the shift. "No good can come from dark magic."

***

It didn't take too long before I broke my promise. It was only a technicality. I had been frustrated over one of the practice written exams for Ancient Runes. Accidently pressing too hard as I wrote, I snapped a quill and threw it across my dorm towards the door. Before I knew it, I felt my eyes shift. It wasn't too bad, not like the shift from my visions which weren't always controllable. This one just looked worse, animal like. I laid back in my bed and waited for it to pass.

A knock at my door made me sit up straight in bed and pushed the shift back. The door cracked open and I saw George appear. He looked around and spotted me bringing on a huge grin to his face.

"Care for a study buddy?" He asked me, notebook in hand.

I let out a little laugh, "No, but I could use a break," I told him as he entered in and made himself comfortable at the foot of my bed as he leaned on the pillar. "I'll say, I truly believe that Ancient Runes will be the reason my entire term is ruined," I told him, tossing the book at him.

"Come now, if anyone can figure it out, it should be the girl who somehow manages to take every class offered," He said with a suspicious look on his face. Before I could say anything, he raised a finger and said, "Your secret's safe with me, as always. How'd you manage that anyway?" He asked.

"Independent study. Last term I had a bit more help on Minerva and Dumbledore's end, but this time around I just completed the class work and exams. I need to pass with a majority of O's to E's to continue onto N.E.W.T.'s next term," I told him.

"Why are you in such a hurry to leave?" He asked me, confused.

I hadn't told anyone other than Sirius and Minerva about the vision I'd had. The one of us living is Ottery St. Catchpole. Showing it to Sirius the way I had when he came to visit me was a risk, I'd never heard of psychic's projecting their visions as I had. But then again, all spells and magic are unheard of until someone gives it a try.

"Another one of your secrets?" George asked me, breaking my train of thought. "It's alright, just tell me to piss off," He said.

"No, it's not that, I just...It's just something I see myself doing," I answered him "Hey George, do you think I should tell Cedric about the dream? I had half a mind to tell him today, but I couldn't find him," I asked.

"Honestly, I don't think there's much ground to stand on, it being a dream and all, but if it really scared you, then yes, you should," He answered me.

I went to my trunk and took out a few snacks and sweets letting the subject go. We quizzed each other on classes that we had in common and took notes as we studied during the classes we didn't have in common. After a while Alicia joined us, and then Katie and eventually Fred and Lee. George surrendered his spot on my bed to Fred while he took over Angelina's bed which was currently empty. I tossed the flavors of jellybeans I didn't like into Fred's mouth, and before we knew it the night felt like it had slipped through our fingers. Every now and then I nudge Fred with my foot to get his attention, which would lead to him flipping the pages of my book or him playing with the hem of my sock.

I looked over and saw that Katie had dozed off and fell asleep with her notebook open beside her. I motioned with my finger to pull her blanket over her and move her books to her trunk. Another while later I heard a snore come from Lee who had fallen asleep as he leaned against her bed. Looking around the room it seemed like I was the only one awake still.

"I think it's about time to call it a night," Angelina said as she walked into the room and looked at the scene in front of her. She eyed George who had curled up into a ball on her bed and a smile took over her face. I'd had my fingers crossed that things were going well between them.

"You try waking them and telling them they need to move, I bid you good luck," I told her. "I'll just be a few more minutes, but if you'd like some privacy, I can cast a charm," I told her as I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"I may take you up on that," she said as she grabbed a change of clothes and left the room for a moment. I looked at George sleeping in her bed. Looking completely comfortable and at ease. It was nice. She had been giving him the cold shoulder for too long this last time around. He never told me why he left her at the party.

Fred let out a loud breath and shifted slightly as he got more comfortable. His eyes fluttered open and he smiled at me. "I should be about ten more minutes, is that alright?" I asked him.

"You know me Potter, I can sleep through just about anything," he answered me. And it was true. The few times I'd ever try to wake him from his sleep it had proved a nearly impossible task. "Am I allowed to come up there though?" He asked. "I mean, only if it's okay."

In truth I'd only told Angelina about the breakup. The only reason I had was because when I returned to the common room that night, I couldn't help the tears that would come every now and then. I was right. Breaking his heart hurt worse than being alone. As soon as I had climbed into bed, I had wanted him to hold me, just one more time. I think they call that closure. But closure is just a selfish desire for one more night.

Though in telling Angelina, that led to her telling Alicia and George which led to them telling Lee, Katie, and Fred. So now everyone knew. The fact that Cho was sticking to Cedric like a piece of droobles gum to his shoe helped in confirming the rumors. For a while it was pretty confusing, since we were still trying to spend time together as just friends.

I picked up my book that rested on the pillow next to me. He accepted the invitation and moved up, so he was lying next to me as I sat up in my bed. Angelina walked in and climbed into her bed. She shot us a wink and shut her curtain as we heard her cast a silencing charm.

"Yeah they won't be coming out anytime soon," I told Fred.

He looked at me a bit surprised. Not because it was his brother in there with her, but because of how casual we were about it. "Is that what you ladies get up to in here?" I didn't answer him, just let out a breathy laugh. I was nearly finished with my notes when a hand closed my textbook. He gave me a sly look before saying, "Give it a rest."

I rose from bed and cleared my books to set them down on my trunk, grabbing the jumper I had laid out on the floor. I was going to put it on, but I looked at Fred who was watching my every movement with laser like focus. I lifted the sheets and climbed into my bed. He looked at me in his special Fred like way. The way that reminded me of days spent by the lake and camping out under the stars with too much alcohol in our systems.

"Hey Freddy," I asked him.

"Yeah Ellie?" He answered me as I moved closer to him. He played with a piece of hair and proceeded to tuck it behind my ear. I could see the sleep in his eyes that was dying to take over.

Him...

Stay with him...

"I have a feeling something bad is going to happen," I told him.

He pulled me in close, so I was breathing in the aroma of his skin. I could feel the warmth radiating off his body washing over me like a blanket of protection. We'd been here before. When things were a bit easier. I wanted to stay in this bubble forever, to just have Freddie and Elodie as we were without any of the complications that would come along with it.

"Why's that?" he asked me half asleep already.

I didn't answer him, I didn't know how to describe the feeling of impending doom, much less the gut feeling I kept getting every night before going to sleep. Like my body was trying to prepare me for something. Perhaps that was it. Was I preparing for something I hadn't seen coming yet?

"El, do you fancy me too?" He asked me a moment before a light snore escaped his lips.

Him...

We want him...

The feeling didn't leave, instead it felt like it was still there, only now it was wrapped in the caress of stomach knots and covered in butterfly kisses. It was being eased away the way a healing charm fixes a broken bone. The mark would always show, but the healing made it better.

"Yes Freddie," I whispered to him knowing he'd probably think it was only a dream. I didn't need to be psychic to know his real confession was coming.

***

The next morning, I woke up to the feeling of my hair being played with. I kept my eyes closed not wanting to put an end to the tender feeling. I heard tiptoed footsteps around the room, someone wanting to be as quiet as possible.

"Sleep well Fred?" I heard Angelina say sarcastically.

"Not as well as I'm sure you two did. You may want to work on that silencing charm of yours Johnson," Fred said.

It was true. Halfway through the night her charm slipped a bit and the sounds of her and George snogging in her bed. I'm sure it escalated further, but I had shifted so I could over my ears enough to not hear them proceed. By the sound of his smugness, I could only assume he must have awakened shortly after I had and heard how they had escalated.

"Are you going to man up and ask the poor girl on a proper outing anytime soon?" George asked.

"I had a dream that I did last night. It was quite wonderful," He said. I was right. He had thought it was only a dream. But I had already given him his first yes. "I want to give her time. I don't want her to feel strange about it," He answered.

It was a sweet notion, only I wondered why he was moving so slowly. It seemed like he always moved at warped speed with all his other girls. Then again, I was always sure that I wouldn't want to be one of his flings. I'd always hated hearing about them in the past. This term was the most attention I'd ever given them. I used to hate hearing about him with other girls, especially girls I knew. Mostly because it didn't interest me, but also because it made me uncomfortable.

George had told me once that they treated me differently because they saw me in a different category from those girls. He said that they didn't see me as a 'Fallback Girl'. I wasn't just any port in the storm. They saw me as more. Good. I wouldn't accept any less. In truth if he asked me on a date today I'd want to say yes, but how would I explain that I had promised Cedric that at the last tournament I would appear to still be his happy girlfriend for his parents benefit? Then again. Lately I'd had better communication and honesty with Fred.

I stirred a bit so he would know I was awake. And then I slowly opened my eyes to be met by his brown ones scanning over my face. And for the first time in a long time I felt incredibly shy. I probably still had sleep in my eyes yet here he was looking at me like I was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. I felt my stomach rumble which caused a laugh to escape from me.

We got dressed in our uniforms and made our way down to breakfast. I tried to help it, but out of habit I looked up and saw Cedric sitting at the Hufflepuff table. He was with Scott, Justin, and Maggie and thankfully Cho was nowhere in sight. I sat on the same side of the table as Alicia, as Angelina and the twins sat across from us. I looked up and saw Cedric smile at me with a little wave of his hand. I smiled instantly and mouthed 'Good morning' before he held up one finger to me telling me to hold on.

"Did you hear from mum? Charlie and Bill are coming to the last challenge!" Ginny said as she took the seat next from me.

"Charlie's coming?" Alicia and Angelina said going gooey eyed.

"Ms. Ginny," Cedric said as he stepped up behind her. "Do you think you can be persuaded to allow me a moment of Elodie's time? I promise, no funny business. Just friends," He said to her, playing nice.

Ginny looked at me and then she looked at the twins for a brief moment before flicking her hand as if to get 'shoo, shoo'.

"Maggie said you were looking for me yesterday? Did you still want to talk?" He asked me.

I gave him a pout and looked at my plate in front of me. "But I'm so hungry now, and I have exams today," I said. He laughed in a breathy manner as he looked down at his feet. "It's alright, that's more important," I said as I grabbed a piece of bacon from the platter. As he turned to begin walking out, I took the piece of toast Fred had in his hand and shot him a wink before turning to leave as well. He'd tell me tonight; I didn't need to be psychic to know that.

***

"I don't understand why you're not taking this seriously. I'm telling you what I saw!" I said to Cedric frustrated that I'd gone over it again and again, but he wasn't listening to me.

"El, I'm listening to what you're saying, but..." He began but stopped before completing his thought. I had told him about the dreams, and the constant feeling of something bigger coming.

"But what?" I said frustrated.

He paced back and forth between the shower stalls. Since only prefects were allowed in this bathroom it was the best place for us to have a conversation that I didn't want anyone else to listen in on. Though the last time we'd been here was before the second task to take a bath together. "Your 'visions' haven't exactly been reliable. You said so yourself," He told me as he stopped pacing back and forth.

"So what? Just because they haven't been complete in the past, you're going to choose to ignore it? Is that right?" I asked him angrily.

He walked over to me and put his hands on both of my shoulders allowing his thumbs to rub small circles on my collar bones. "I just think, if McGonagall and Dumbledore have both told you to cast them aside...They said that it's too unpredictable to rely on your dreams or visions, we can't go out following the guidelines of a wonky magic," He told me.

I took a step back, tilted my head down and pinched the bridge of my nose. He had a point; I hadn't been able to rely on anything I'd seen so far of the future. But everything I'd seen while I was underwater. It felt so real.

"I am asking you, begging you, not to go through with it," I told him. "Please, put everything that's happened lately aside. As your oldest friend, please." I said.

I'd never felt so ignored before. Things had been fairly well, but this conversation made me realize that nothing had actually changed between us. While I was able to surprise him with my magic or my smarts from time to time, he didn't really see me as his equal. I felt like no matter how much I chose to speak up lately, it was just disregarded.

"El, it's the last task! I'm in first place, and it's tomorrow. Just one more and this'll all be over," He told me. "Look, you've been stressed lately, exams are almost over..."

"Don't do that. Don't cast me aside, just because I'm worried for your safety, okay?" I told him.

"That's funny," He said as he rubbed his hand across his chin, with absolutely no humor. "You know I spent this last year pulling you closer and closer, but you just kept casting me aside. For once can you just please..." He began but stopped to control his words. It felt like the anger he didn't show when we actually broke up was coming through now. Like a second wave was crashing through. "You know I don't know what to say other than I miss my girlfriend, the one that wasn't constantly in a state of worry. Just, please, tell me what's going on inside your head. Cause I don't know what to say other than I still miss you, and I still love you. That's how I'll always feel, but it still just seems to push you further away," Cedric said pleading with me.

Tell him...

It's time...

I turned to face him and rubbed the back of my neck. "Ex-girlfriend," I said, correcting him. "You want to know what's going on inside my head?" I told him in a low voice. "I told you what McGonagall said, I have Dark Magic in me, and if that ever blows up, and you're in the crossfire I could never forgive myself for it," I admitted to him. I felt like a sinner, confessing nearly all my thoughts to him. And I felt the slightest hint of relief.

Cedric moved closer to put his hands on either side of my face, refusing to let me look away from him. "Listen to me, I'm not going anywhere, ever. I'll be here no matter what happens. I'll always be with you. Okay?"

"Okay," I told him firmly.

He took me into a hug that only made me feel worse. "When all this is over, I'm going to take you and my parents on a trip to celebrate. McGonagall can come too. Put a dent in those galleons I'll be winning. We can go to the beach somewhere. Somewhere you can be in the sun every day, and we can sip vanilla tea, as friends, like we used to," He told me. "Doesn't that sound nice?"

I closed my eyes, once again trying to force a vision to appear. Trying to see the future he was describing. But I couldn't make my eyes go milky white, and I couldn't see something I didn't wholeheartedly believe.

"Yeah," I said in a breath. "That sounds lovely," I told him. "Just...for goodness sakes please protect yourself this time," I told him, wrapping my arms around him tightly, wanting to hold onto him for as long as possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 64.5K 68
Hanging over George's back, you grunted, "Seriously, put me down, Weasley." He shook his head and laughed gleefully while he carried you downstairs...
789K 14.2K 67
Y/N Lupin had been friends with the Weasleys since first year, they were inseparable. Ever since her parents and older brother, Carter, died in a tra...
2M 39.3K 90
"Her terrible timing resulted in the perfect image: Fred standing there wet. His hair was soaking, and the small drops of water rolled down his cheek...
101K 3.1K 35
Y/N starts her 5th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as the new Prefect girl. But she's not using her prefect abilities for what the...