The Con-Artists

By aiz9046

🏆 2nd Place Winner in Mystery Genre of 'The Peerless Introverts Awards' 🏆 2nd Place Winner in Mystery Genre... More

ꜰᴏʀᴇᴡᴏʀᴅ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

161 8 12
By aiz9046

A recorded video was playing on the laptop as the cops watched it with a deep frown etched on their faces. Both Asad and Shayan were confused and baffled. Confused of this mysterious caller who informed them regarding the video. And baffled while seeing the clip playing, which their team recovered from a covert camera.

There was a grey Civic at a darker and secluded side of the parking lot. The silhouette that came out of the car was none other than Alina Imtiaz. Though her face was partly hidden due to the absence of light, they recognized her in an instant through her photographs.

Another figure accompanied her. It was a man dressed in all black. His face was concealed under a cap and they seemed like shadows moving in the darkness. They scuttled towards the public side of the airport and disappeared from the eyes of cameras.

"They deleted the particular camera records of the Airport... Because they were there. And she's not alone." Shayan slightly shook his head, staring at the screen.

"We've searched through the passengers' passport and flight records of last night, sir. There is no one named Alina Imtiaz as you predicted. So, we have made a list of travelers we suspected and are also investigating crew members." A cop spoke, informing Asad.

"Who's in the car?" Asad nonchalantly said, his eyes still trained on the laptop. Shayan's attention was on the screen again which showed only the car a few seconds ago but now there was also a girl.

Her features weren't completely hidden like that of the man's, as she cautiously looked all around herself after moving out of the Civic.

"Zoom it," Asad said as he focused on her face. Her features were somewhat visible under the dim moonlight. In a second she was out of the camera's reach.

"The car wasn't there means she'll come back." Shayan voiced his thoughts while Asad nodded. Approximately after fifteen minutes, the girl was back.
They were right.

She opened the door and sat in, the car reversed and then gone out of their sight.

"Did you follow her tracks?" Asad asked, turning his head. "Yes we did, unfortunately, we lost it afterward. But we have cordoned off all the public squares. We will find her soon." The cop briefed.

"Take her picture, clear it, and find out who's she," Asad ordered as he threw a skeptical glance on the screen and retreated his steps back, moving out of the room with Shayan following him.

"So, Officer, did you think of the clue I gave you?" They were welcomed by the mysterious man Mr. Farhan as he was seated on one of the chairs in the waiting area.

"Well, we can trust your statement but we still have no evidence." Asad promptly said, folding his hands back.

"You should trust me. I know all the secrets of that con girl. She first swindled my wife out of money then her next target was to delete all the records of exchange that happened between them. But on that horrible night when she sneaked into the cafe Rasheed caught her and she ended his life. I assume she was afraid that my wife would know about her tricks so she also killed her." Farhan exasperatedly repeated what he told them before.

"The question is, how you come to know all of this when even your wife was unaware. You could've saved her life by letting her know." Shayan eyed the man suspiciously.

"My wife also doubted her, detective. She was killed, that's why I'm asking you to find Alina as soon as possible." Farhan stood up and demanded firmly.

"We are going to her house again. I'm sure we will find any lead if we'll try hard," Asad spoke as he signaled other cops to get ready for the search. "And you can go now, Mr. Farhan. We will call you tomorrow to record your statement for the trial."

"As you wish." Farhan nodded at both of them and marched out of the station. Shayan glanced at Asad whose gaze was fixed at Farhan's retreating.

"We should keep an eye on him, he's a bit dodgy," Shayan uttered. "He said that Alina conned his wife. If his wife was scammed, why didn't she report?"

"Why didn't you question him?" Asad asked.

"Because we should wait," Shayan gave a tight-lipped smile. "Wait till he reveals more things that are hidden in his mysterious persona and lead us straight to the missing puzzle piece."

Asad arched his brows as if their plans were the same but he kept his face was expressionless, not giving off a single emotion.

"Sir, our team is ready." A constable came and informed them. Both of them nodded. Asad fixed the collar of his navy blue shirt and checked the holster for the confirmation of the gun. While Shayan glanced at his wristwatch, looking apprehensive.

It was late at night. And somebody, alone, must be waiting for him to return home.

"Duty is your first priority. Don't come back, leaving behind your work only because I miss you..." A melodic voice echoed in his head and his cheeks dimpled, thinking about someone. He shrugged his thoughts away and focused on duty.

They briskly walked out of the department. As soon as Asad opened the gate of the police jeep the phone vibrated in his pocket. His brows furrowed as he fished out his phone and saw the message just arrived from an unknown number. His jaw tightened and rage clouded his features. The message was:

"You are going to raid Alina's house again? This time don't forget to check behind the wooden bookshelf in the mini library. I bet you'll find something interesting.
~ Yours sincerely."

•••••••••

Her face looked deadpan as she stared at the picture of a man unfamiliar to her. She was focusing on her past life whether she had seen him somewhere or not. It was clueless! She never saw him before.

"No, I don't remember anything!" She gave the phone back to Azlan who was despondent at her reply. His brows knitted as he looked at the picture again.

"Then I don't understand. Why is he after you? What does he want?" His questioning gaze settled on Alina who was equally confused.

"Why don't go and ask him in person?" Moiz blithely interrupted, receiving a deathly glare from Azlan. They were sitting in her room and discussing their new mark but the conversation directed to the mysterious murderer who was getting on their nerves.

"Not a bad idea," Alina whispered, thinking about the man.

"What? We can't do this." Azlan shook his head.

"Whoever is sending you a single detail of police's strategies, including whom are they meeting or their progress, why can't he kidnap Farhan and let us handle him." She argued, irritated about the fact that Azlan is still hiding the name of their helper.

"Farhan is not a kid, he's a killer. And our helper cannot expose himself!" He sighed in frustration.

"How is he so confirmed that Farhan is the one who's after me? Maybe he's wrong," She pointed out.

"Did Mrs. Farhan doubt you after she was scammed?" Azlan asked. "No. She trusted me till her death." Alina replied.

"But Farhan not only told them that you are a con artist but he also said that his wife doubted you as a fraudster and he knows every detail of your activities," Azlan told her.

"This is impossible! How does he know who I'm? Apart from Saira and you guys nobody knows our true identity." Alina responded in shock.

"The reason we concluded that he's the one," Azlan began. "We also doubt that he's behind the calls to police in which he revealed them about the secret camera."

"What secret camera?" Alina confusedly asked as she was unaware.

"There was an old covert camera in the Airport parking lot. An unknown number called the police to check the camera." He told her.

"Did they find something?" She asked promptly. "I don't know yet." Azlan shrugged.

"That means our dearest spy is late." Moiz mocked in his usual high pitched voice. He glanced at Alina and Azlan, waiting for their reply but they were lost in the seriousness of the situation.

"Can we come back to our mark again?" Alina drew the laptop closer and asked the two boys who gave her an affirmative nod.

"So, as we are aware that we need money at any cost to bring my sister here. I decided to target this man," she turned the laptop at their side. "He's a bank manager but the area of our concern is a mobile shop he owns which sells illicit drugs and caffeine, like Cannabis to youngsters."

"So he has an undercover business of selling drugs and alcohol to teenage boys and men which is ruining our young generation. That's why you chose him." Azlan stated the obvious, receiving a nod from Alina.

"Yes. The lease of the apartment in which he lives is expiring in a month. He's finding a renovated house to settle in. And we are going to ease his work." She spoke.

"Are you inviting us in a Real Estate scam game?" Moiz smirked and Azlan's face twisted in disappointment. Before he could argue Alina stopped him.

"Please Azlan, no more arguments," Azlan rolled his eyes though stayed quiet and let her speak. "I've made a fake website of our real estate agency and listed down our upcoming projects with housing schemes which are basically under China cutting. Also added the 'blue check-mark' on them as it verifies the physical existence of the list for our customer. Now we only have to trap our goat."

(China cutting: The term is not in any way related to China. This term is common in Pakistan. It refers to illegally slicing plots from parks and lands reserved for public amenities and converting them into a residential and commercial property that is sold off for huge profits)

"How are we going to do this?" Moiz excitedly asked, rubbing his hands together. "I mean I never did this before. It's going to be fun."

"Fun?" Azlan scowled. "You are going to rob a man's money who earned it by hard work."

"Oh yes, hard work," Alina sarcastically remarked. "The money he earned by selling drugs."

"You've no right-" Azlan wanted to argue but Alina abruptly stopped her. "I don't want to listen to your preachings right now."

"First thing first, we will paste the advertising pamphlets around where he works and his house then we'll drop an ad in his email." Said Alina.

"Are you sure he'll contact us?" Moiz asked.

"Of course he will. The key to success in any business is an
understanding of psychology. All you need is to trigger his mentality that will drive him to buy. For example, we will offer him discounts but for a limited time. That will press him to contact us." Alina explained.

"Got it. Then let the game begin." Moiz smirked and she glanced at her work satisfied.

••••••••

Alina stared at her reflection in the mirror. There were dark circles under her chocolate brown eyes and her lips were chapped due to dryness. The skin lost its color looking extremely pale. All were the indication of her sleepless nights and anxiety bundling up in her chest. Her hair color was changed to auburn from black. She unwillingly dyed her hair with cheap hair color to hide her natural features.

"I'm waiting for you, Alina!" Azlan called her, making her realize that she had to get ready.

Their plan worked perfectly as in three days their mark named Hamza showed his interest in their so-called business. Today, they were going to meet him in a self-made office which was actually an abandoned store arranged by Moiz.

Alina did some makeup and tied her hair. After getting ready she made her way back to Azlan who was sitting on the chair, tapping his foot impatiently.

His condition wasn't better than Alina. Another mishap that happened to them was that Azlan lost his contact with their helper in Karachi. It made him depressed because according to him they were dependent on him and he was very important. There were no further details of what the police are doing right now and it was not a good sign. They were stuck in a ship between a vast ocean with no map or compass to guide them out.

"Still no news?" Alina asked Azlan. He raised his head and looked away from the phone. "No," he said in a low voice.

"What are you going to do now?" She asked, tilting her head.

"I've told Maheen and she also got worried. Although it's very risky she will meet him today by hook or crook."

♦♦♦♦♦♦

Hi everyone!

Finally, Chapter Eleven is here.

How was it?

There's an important announcement I have to make.
I will not update further till December due to my upcoming exams. I need to concentrate on my papers. Sorry for making you wait but I hope you'll understand.

Updates will be continued in January.

Vote, Comment and Share!

_A.M_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 25.5K 71
*COVER CREDITS* @blackue02 #1 indian on 15/02/2020 #1 arrangedmarriage on 04/03/2021 #1 hotheaded on 20/07/2019 #1 mumbai on 17/10/2019 #1 court on 0...
4.8K 82 8
"I don't care. I don't care if you wear a scarf over your head. Or if you prefer to wear long sleeves and pray five times a day", he inches closer. "...
141K 11.4K 70
•Safa Hayat• Her flounders against the world haven't been known to anyone. Neither do the scars that run deep inside the abyss of her frail soul. She...
934K 55.6K 49
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...