Red Rocket Exchange

Od Tyrrlin

Cover art by DelBorovic! delborovic.tumblr.com Nora returns to the Red Rocket station community of companion... Viac

Red Rocket
Denouement

RJ MacCready

68 5 2
Od Tyrrlin

Dogmeat found MacCready on the hill near the river separating Red Rocket from Sanctuary. He was staring out towards the slowly flowing water, shoulders hunched, fists clenched to his sides, sniper rifle strapped to his back.

"Good boy, Dogmeat. Go back now." A soft "wuff" answered her and the German shepherd turned around to trot away. Nora took a few hesitant steps forward, casually leaning her shoulders against one of the skeletal trees. "RJ?" The whole world seemed to lie in that one quiet question, in the name she only called him when they were alone.

MacCready turned around. He strode quickly towards her, calloused hands rising to cup her face in a gentle but insistent manner. His mouth was on hers, seeking, tasting, exploring. One hand reached back to run strong fingers through her hair as her breath caught in sudden wanting. The other teased lower, tracing a loving trail from her neckline down to her breast before cupping its weight. His thumb stroked across the fabric, rubbing light circles around her erect nipple. A soft moan escaped her throat, the only sound she would allow herself to make this close to the others. He lifted his head a fraction, breathing raggedly, then pressed in again to leave a line of nibbling kisses across her jawline and into the sensitive spot on the side of her neck. She trembled in longing pleasure, supporting herself against the rough tree bark.

"I missed you," he breathed into her ear, his short goatee lightly tickling her cheek, causing a series of shivers to cascade down her spine.

She reached for his belt to pull him closer, melting into the warm wiry strength that she had dreamed about every night of the mission. "I missed you too." Their arms enfolded each other in a tight embrace. Nora couldn't get enough, her hands moving up and down his back, teasing, pulling, grasping him closer to her. She kissed his shoulder, his jaw, pressing her face into the curve of his neck to nibble lightly with hard lips. His raspy groan and the hard heat pressing against her abdomen only served to cause the throbbing desire between her own legs to intensify. She wanted him, needed him with a passion that matched his, but--

"We can't do this here," she gasped, lust and regret coloring every tortured syllable. Nora lifted her head to look at him. MacCready was gazing at her with an expression that stabbed into her soul and wrapped around her heart. She loved him, and he loved her... two sides of the same coin, separated by time and horrific circumstance, but now together.

He sighed and nodded regretfully, lowering his eyes. "I know. The others wouldn't understand." He looked back up again, with the wistful, loving gaze that was hers and hers alone.

In the late afternoon light, MacCready's blue eyes had deepened into endless pools of cool crystal that she just wanted to lose herself in forever. They hadn't moved yet, still pressed tightly against each other, their breathing slowly returning to a more even tempo. Finally, MacCready shifted his hands to her upper arms, lightly supporting her against the tree, but not moving away. Her own fingers played with the front of his duster, smoothing the scarf wrapped around his neck. Her right hand splayed against his chest, reveling in the feel of his heartbeat, the play of lithe muscles under her fingertips. Damn, he's so sexy.

"Well, maybe just a little..." was all the invitation necessary. Nora flung her arms around MacCready's neck, as he kissed her, pressing even closer. Strong hands rubbed up her thighs, digging into her hips, pulling her close. She levered herself up, wrapping her legs around his slim waist. A hard, throbbing bulge pressed against her crotch and she gasped. MacCready responded by thrusting his hips against hers. His head was buried against her chest, breath harsh with desire. MacCready pressed forward again, pushing her hard against the tree, and an errant branch stub scored Nora across the healing wound on her back.

"AaaOwwch!" she yelped, unable to keep from crying out in pain.

MacCready reacted instantly, pulling her away from the tree and setting her gently on her feet. "What? Oh, dammit, your back!" His face blanched with worry as he tentatively probed at the bandage under her vault suit. "Damn Danse. Didn't Curie patch you up?" he asked tightly, as he guided her to a jumble of boulders so she could sit down. He shifted the rifle and sat next to her, pulling her close with an arm around her shoulder. She could feel him shaking ever so slightly, but in anger or worry or some other emotion she couldn't tell.

"Yes, but even a Stimpak takes time to work. And as I just told the others, it's not Danse's fault." A low growling grumble answered her. She sighed in recognition of his indignation, and leaned into him, resting her head against his cheek. He responded with an absent-minded kiss to her hair. "Mmm, I feel better already."

"You Mungo," he teased, briefly lightening before sobering again, fingers tightening on her shoulder. "I- I know you need to work with the Brotherhood.... to find the Institute, and your son." He paused, and she waited for him to continue; reveling in his presence, his warmth, the protective arm around her, even the rasp of his beard stubble against her face. "I just... I just wish you'd take me with you," he finished, voice dropping into a dejected murmur. "We make a better team together than anyone else."

Nora turned to give his jaw a quick kiss. "I know, love. I wish I could too, but Elder Maxson is a stickler when it comes to protocol. Danse is my commanding officer, my sponsor, and my partner for missions." At the word "partner," MacCready's arm tightened jealously, and she thrilled quietly at his unconscious gesture. "They have the best technology in the Commonwealth. If I want to stay in their good graces long enough to be able find the Institute, I need to follow orders. You have to trust me, RJ."

"Oh, I trust you," he assured her with another quick kiss to the top of her head, "it's the Brotherhood I can't trust. They made themselves very unpopular in the Capital Wasteland with Maxson in charge, and they're dangerous to anyone he doesn't like...anyone not like him. Danse is a perfect little copy of Maxson's vision, and I just can't trust him either."

Nora hmmed and gently tweaked the tip of MacCready's nose. "Is that why you confronted him back there?" At his renewed growl of anger, she shushed him with a gentle finger. "It was an unlucky mission, that's all. Danse saved my life." He huffed a skeptical grunt in reply. "There's more to him than just Maxson's vision. He's a member of Red Rocket after all. Maybe you just need to get to know him better." She smiled at his dubious frown. "Reminds me of a certain sniper I know...."

"Oh really?" There was challenge in MacCready's tone. "Should I be worried that a walking tin can will steal my girl?" He put both arms around her in a possessive hug, nuzzling the back of her neck briefly.

"Never," she reassured, leaning into him. God, he's such a lovable dork.  She had been despondent at her husband's violent death, and showed a near-suicidal recklessness during the initial search for her kidnapped son. Months had passed with her drive to find Shaun, find the killers, forefront in her mind. Impulsively hiring MacCready as an extra gun and an inadvertent survival teacher was hands-down the best choice she could have made in those early days of her new life. She hadn't known it at first, but he was in a similar situation- his wife gruesomely murdered in front of him, his son in desperate need of aid. Yet he kept a strong sense of self, learning to roll with the punches the Commonwealth dealt out and come up fighting, with a comedic wit and sharp intelligent observations. She couldn't help but fall for his unbreakable spirit, and the loving core of his soul. He taught her to survive in this new reality in more ways than one, and she loved him for it.

"You called us a family earlier," he commented a few moments later, his voice a pleasant rumble in her ear.

"Mm-hmm," she confirmed.

"Why? None of us are related. Hell, my only family is Duncan, and he's back in the Capital Wasteland." MacCready rested his chin on the top of Nora's head and gave a wistful sigh.

Nora wiggled out from under his chin to look at him. His blue eyes were troubled, staring off into the middle distance. She tried to explain. "As unlikely a group as we are, we do act a lot like a family. You don't always like them, but you'll do anything to keep them safe." She added, "Friends are the family you choose, after all."

"Huh, I never thought about it that way." His gaze returned to her, and a slight smile touched his lips. "You are always surprising me, Nora." He tucked her back under his chin with a caress and a light kiss to her forehead.

They both relaxed into a comfortable embrace, merely enjoying the quiet whisper of wind and the rustle of brittle leaves. Nora relaxed into MacCready's warmth, feeling cozy and protected with his chin resting on her head. His right hand came up to play with her hair, teasing the wavy locks, wrapping and unwrapping them around his fingers in a lovingly absent-minded gesture. He never could stay completely still for too long unless he was sniping, focused on his target. How long they stayed in that comfortable cuddle she didn't know, but soon enough their stomachs rumbled, loudly enough to startle a laugh from both of them.

"I mean, I'm always hungry, but didn't you stop long enough to eat today?" MacCready demanded, mock-anger in his tone. Nora shook her head.

"I needed to find my partner who had gone storming off..."

"No." he corrected. "I was told to take a hike. Otherwise..." he trailed off into half-muttered grumbling, only stopping when Nora playfully tweaked his ear. "Do you want to go back?" he asked, reluctantly loosening his embrace a fraction.

She shook her head again. "No. I want to be alone with you." Her growling stomach protested at that, pulling a chuckle out of MacCready, his sense of humor finally gaining the upper hand.

"Hah," He stood up, turning to arrange Nora on the jumble of rocks. "You stay right here. I'll sneak us some dinner." Re-shouldering his rifle and giving his duster a tug to straighten it, he asked, "do you have a weapon? I know we're close to home, but-" He grinned when she motioned to the holster in her boot. "Good girl. I'll be right back." Stepping lightly, he started back towards the outpost.

"Hey," she called after him, "there's a folded green blanket in my pack. Would you grab it, please?" An affirmative wave answered her as the lithe form of her lover disappeared over the crest of the hill. Nora scanned the tree line, making sure the area was clear. Satisfied, she closed her eyes for a moment as a wave of fatigue snuck up on her. The Stimpak was starting to wear off, and with it, the boost of energy that came with it. Her back definitely felt better, but she was just so tired after six days in power armor. It was not comfortable to sleep in at all and she had no idea how the Brotherhood Knights stood it. Maybe whatever food MacCready brought back would help keep her awake.

The snap of a twig brought her out of her half-doze, and she reached for her pistol before a sardonic chuckle stopped her. A flash of white in the late afternoon light caught her gaze as a man stepped out from behind a nearby tree, grinning. Bald head, ever-present sunglasses, and a white T-shirt pulled carelessly over ragged jeans presented the perfect lackadaisical portrait as the Railroad spy ambled forward, arms crossed. "MacCready, eh?" was the languid comment.

Nora closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose in consternation. "Deacon..." she warned.

"Oh hey, don't mind me!" he protested, holding his hands up in a placating gesture. "I mean, when our illustrious community leader goes traipsing into the woods with her dog, and said dog returns alone..."

"Deacon..." she repeated in an exasperated tone, but he was not to be dissuaded.

"I just had to make sure you weren't lying face down in the river, you know? After all, there was this murderous hired killer around.... but I guess you found him and," a laugh unconvincingly disguised as a cough, "disarmed him." Deacon chuckled at his own cleverness, refolding his arms.

Nora's head snapped up at that. How much had he seen? "Deacon!" she warned again.

"That's my name, don't wear it out" he laughed. "I mean, you were so adorably domestic, planning a picnic by the river, down to the blanket!" He swooned ostentatiously, clowning around. Nora breathed a silent sigh of relief, he hadn't been spying for too long. "Makes my stone-cold heart warm enough to start beating again." He thumped his chest once or twice in demonstration. "Ah, there it goes. Though, I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised. I figured you more for Preston. Or Sturges. A heartless cap-grubbing mercenary like MacCready doesn't seem to be your type."

Oh, hell no, you did not just say that.

"Deacon." She pinned him with a cold stare. "For being such an amazing spy and collector of information, you really need to do a better job, if that's all you know about him." Now she stood up, fatigue burning away as her temper flared. "You think you're the only one around here allowed to have secrets? Have a personal life?" She clenched her fists.

Too late, Deacon realized he had gone just that little bit too far. "Hey, sorry! I didn't mean anything by it!" He backed up a step, holding his hands up soothingly. "You... well, if you're happy, I guess I'll have to trust you. But as far as a private life?" He chuckled again, "not for long..."

"Deacon, I swear..." Nora began.

"So do I, frequently." He bantered back. "But, you were saying?" His expression was one of breathless anticipation,. .

"Do. Not. Tell. Anyone." She emphasized every word. "I'm serious. This is my private life." She took a step forward to emphasize her point. "It is also MacCready's private life. Who we are to each other is no one's business but ours." She briefly pinched the bridge of her nose again before looking back up at Deacon. "And MacCready is a much better man than you give him credit for."

He regarded her for a moment, tipping his sunglasses down to peer at her. "All right, I won't." he finally conceded, resettling the shades. "Your secret is safe with me." He drew an "X" over his heart, paused dramatically, then added, "I'll let you in on a little secret of mine, though. These people aren't blind. You guys are good, but pretty soon I won't need to say anything." With that last volley, Deacon turned and sauntered back to Red Rocket.

"Damn it." Nora muttered under her breath. She was so tired of this. One night. All she wanted was one night to relax and recover. Her back had definitely recovered from the scoring she received earlier, which was one blessing, anyway. She stood there, back to the settlement, willing herself to calm down. She would deal with all of these accumulating issues... tomorrow. Taking a deep breath, then another and another, she focused in and relaxed, stifling a yawn.

A strong arm gently snaked around her waist as MacCready's amused tones murmured in her ear, "Defending my honor, are we?" In his other hand, an old metal shopping basket contained several items including the blanket she requested.

"Oh, RJ." She turned and gave him a hug. "Always."

He smiled down at her for a moment before taking her hand and starting to move farther into the trees, giving her a tug to follow. "C'mon, let's find somewhere a little more private."

A little ways back from an old, rotten boat landing, they found a wide, thigh-high ledge of rock. A hefty tree stump a few feet back provided cover and an eventual backrest, but for now they took a seat on the flat rock, the basket between them, sniper rifle carefully propped against the stump in easy reach. "What did you get?" Nora asked, her mouth watering at the scent of grilled meat wafting from the interior. Her eyes went wide as MacCready uncovered two large makeshift skewers, lumps of meat alternating with slices of tato and carrots. He handed her one, tearing into his own with gusto. She sniffed at the mystery meat curiously. It actually smelled appetizing. She took a small bite, then another as she realized how good the hot food was.

Muttering around his own skewer, MacCready answered, "Radstag and veggie something-bobs." He grabbed a couple of bottles and cans out ofthe basket, continuing, "Strong went hunting, and fresh cooked radstag is delicious. Piper had suggested the... k'bobs?... when she saw what was on the menu. Dunno what she called 'em. She doused them in some beer before grilling." He took another bite. "Thought it was a waste of beer, but this isn't bad at all! In and out without a soul the wiser. Grabbed some drinks, too." He gestured to the bottles and cans. "Nuka-cola, or water?" he offered.

Nora had to chuckle at that. "Water, of course." She shook her head tolerantly as MacCready grabbed for the bottle of Nuka-cola. "I don't know how you drink that stuff." The can of purified water went down a treat, cool and delicious. "Unless it's just because you get a free cap out of it," she teased. "I'm surprised you didn't grab us a couple of beers."

"Hey, I'll take caps wherever I can find 'em," he replied, finishing the first bottle and pocketing the cap. The second bottle was soon opened, that cap also disappearing into MacCready's stash. "Nuka's the best I could do for now," he explained. "I may be able to lift anything from anywhere, but sneaking into a brightly lit room with everyone watching is a bit beyond me without a Stealth-Boy." He grinned in response to Nora's chuckle, and they both concentrated on their respective meals for a few minutes. MacCready devoured his skewer, continuing to nibble on the whittled wood to get every scrap of flavor off. He reminded Nora a little of a coyote, or a wolf cub gnawing on a bone.

She worked her way through the delicious meal, sliding the last lump of meat from the end of her skewer and generously offering it to MacCready, who gleefully took it with a grin and a "thanks!" She followed his previous example and gingerly nibbled the skewer to make sure she had cleaned it of any morsels. Once satisfied that the stick was clean, she stood up to face him, holding it perpendicularly in front of her face like a rapier. "En garde!" she challenged, chuckling at his surprised expression. When he didn't move, she gently tickled him in the ribs with the tip of the stick, soliciting an actual giggle from his lips. "En garde!" she repeated, grinning like a fool. "Have at ye!"

Grabbing his own skewer, he launched off the rock, formulating his own attack. "Oh, it's on!" he announced, laughing, eyes bright.

They sparred joyfully in the setting sunlight, clacking their skewers against each other with childlike abandon, cackling happily and thoroughly enjoying the silliness. It was wonderful to just play, relish each others company in this moment, to laugh without care of their worries for a few hours of stolen time. Such brief memories were precious, and she cherished every one. All too soon, the skewers became casualties of the game, breaking off in their hands during an especially enthusiastic exchange. MacCready looked down at the stub, all that remained of his makeshift rapier, with such a humorously feigned tragic expression that Nora whooped in delight.

"Guess we'll have to go hand-to-hand..." he remarked, a devilish gleam in his deep blue eyes. Before she could react, he had moved in close, disarming her own broken skewer by the simple expedient of grabbing her hand in his, opposite hand sneaking under her armpit to bring her against him in a one-sided bear hug. She felt the warmth of his body pressing against hers, and surrendered to his embrace, pressing the side of her face into the rasp of his beard. "And cheek-to-cheek," he finished. He swayed with her, a slight rocking motion slowly back and forth, and she realized he was humming quietly. "Shall we dance?" he inquired, a little smile teasing the corners of his lips.

She thrilled at his tender tone, feeling the rumble of his voice bubbling up from his chest. Nora chuckled and freed her hands just long enough to switch her Pip-Boy's radio on.

I say I'll move the mountains,
And I'll move the mountains
If he wants them out of the way

They swayed to the music, gazing into each others eyes. Nora smiled, and joined in for the next few lines-

"Crazy he calls me
Sure, I'm crazy
Crazy in love, I say..."

MacCready's smile broadened and he hugged her close. "You are a crazy Mungo," he teased. Nora gave him a quick peck on the cheek, and tried to stifle the yawn that snuck up on her. He raised a sardonic eyebrow at her, but had to grin as another yawn stretched her face. "Catching up to you, is it?" At her nod, he shook his head tolerantly and released her to move towards the tree stump a few feet back from the ledge. "Hold on a sec." He gracefully arranged himself in a half reclined pose, settling in to the rustling tumble of dead leaves with his back against the curve of the stump. Once comfortable, he raised his left arm, inviting Nora to join him. "Come on, then."

She didn't need any further encouragement. Nora switched off the radio and reached for the basket containing the blanket as she climbed up the ledge to join him. She nuzzled under MacCready's arm, half-facing him with her right shoulder snugged into his armpit, her body relaxing against his. His arm wrapped around her, warm, protective, and loving. Her left foot reached out to give his muddy boot a loving tap. "I have a present for you," she told him.

"Aww, you shouldn't have," he protested, but his eager little-kid smile gave the lie to that statement. The basket landed in his lap, prompting an "oof" of surprise. "This weighs a ton, by the way. What is it?"

"Just open it. You'll see," was the reply. She wriggled a little more upright, stifling another yawn as he removed his arm from around her in order to lift the folded blanket out, setting the metal basket to one side. Nora couldn't help herself. "That's alpaca wool, by the way. It is super warm, and helps keep you warm even when wet. I couldn't believe I found that in a storage chest. I want you to have it."

MacCready was stroking the folded fabric gently, a tender smile on his face. "It's really soft," he remarked, his fingers tracing the subtle patterns in the green-dyed wool. He unfolded one layer, and took in a breath as he uncovered another present tucked inside. "Oh-ho," he chortled, eagerly taking up two magazines filled with ammunition for his sniper rifle. "That explains why it weighed so much. Thank you." The rounds were reverently stowed in his thigh pouch with a happy hum.

"Keep going," Nora encouraged, propping herself up to see better.

"What, more?" Another layer unfolded to reveal an old taped-up container. MacCready grinned in delight as he pried open the lid to find a horde of bottlecaps inside, full to the point of bursting. He paused to peer down at Nora, the words drawn out almost reluctantly, "You sure about this? That is a lot of caps!" He couldn't help looking back at the stash, eyes wide.

"I'm sure, RJ." She reached out to reseal the lid, closing his fingers around the container. "Send some of those to Duncan." She couldn't help but giggle at his stunned reaction, and was unsurprised when the caps soon disappeared to join his rifle against the side of the tree stump. After a moment enjoying his speechless acknowledgment, she poked him gently. "One more layer to go."

"You've got to be kidding me!" The soft, fuzzy blanket unfolded one more time to reveal a somewhat battered, but still readable comic. "Oh hey, I love these!" He couldn't stop himself from immediately picking it up to leaf through the pages in the fading dusklight.

"It's not quite Grognak, sorry," she apologized, "but I hope an 'Unstoppables' comic with Grognak as a guest character is okay." Another yawn tackled her.

"Are you serious right now?" MacCready exclaimed in surprise, putting the blanket and the comic back in the basket, and resettling his arm around Nora in a happy embrace. "Why are you apologizing?" He pulled her close, running a tender caress down her face with gentle fingertips. "You come back from a mission injured, tired half to death, and don't even try to tell me that you're not exhausted..." He tapped the tip of her nose in emphasis. "You cared enough about me to bring me presents, and you're sorry you think one of them isn't absolutely perfect? Which it is, by the way." He laughed, a little sardonically, "I don't deserve someone as good as you."

"I love you, RJ." was Nora's reply. She spooned closer, reaching across his chest to give him a loving embrace, her lips brushing the underside of his jawline. "You've shown me the best of this new world; your soul's fire, your tenacity in living, your determination to never give up." She levered herself up to gaze into his eyes, those deep blue pools of naked emotion. "Your happiness lights up my whole world, and I would do anything to see you smile." She snuggled back down, melting into the amazing warmth he always seemed to generate, and closed her eyes. "A few trinkets scrounged from a mission seems like a pittance in comparison," she murmured, sleepily.

Nora angled her head to rest against MacCready's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. She loved the sound of his heartbeat, strong and alive, his breathing slow and steady. MacCready simply held her close for a moment, his hand caressing the point of her shoulder. "I love you, Nora," he said, "with every fiber of my being."

They stayed curled up together against the curve of the tree stump as night softly descended. The stars gleamed into view one by one and the waning moon made its appearance, softening hard shadows with its silvery glow. The night was quiet, a cooling zephyr lightly sighing between the skeletal trees. As hard as she tried to, Nora couldn't stave off her overwhelming fatigue any longer. Safe in the arms of her love, she fell into a deep, deep, exhausted sleep. Time lost meaning.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

164 1 8
Danse seeks Railroad rehabilitation at the request of Nora. While the former Paladin accepts his lot, the process is more taxing than the sole surviv...
16K 610 28
☆~°Armoured Heart°~☆ ☆~°Paladin Danse X Reader°~☆ ~°☆°~ (Y/N) the sole survivor from vault 111, is going to take this road alone. Her world has been...
184 1 30
Everything's been taken from me. My home. My wife. I didn't expect to get frozen and wake up two hundred years in the future. But now... someone's t...
6.8K 373 10
After finishing what she set out to do, the Sole Survivor sends a gift to each of the companions, one last goodbye. Gives an ending to the game and e...