My First Teenage Infatuation

By Kshiteejkabra

WINNER OF *WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS, 2020* Do you remember the first time, your best friend teased you with a nam... More

Popular Choice Voting Awards
COPYRIGHT
DISCLAIMER
PREFACE
CHAPTER 1 - MUN (MODEL UNITED NATIONS)
CHAPTER 2 - KAL, AAJ AUR KAL
CHAPTER 3 - MARWADI BACHE!!!
CHAPTER 4 - WHO IS YOUR CRUSH?
CHAPTER 5 - SELF REALISATION!!!
CHAPTER 6 - THE YELLOW HOUSE BOOK
CHAPTER 7 - My CHEMISTRY DURING PHYSICS
CHAPTER 8 - DANDIYA NIGHTS
CHAPTER 10 - USNE KYA BOLA..."Yes" or "No"
CHAPTER 11- CAPRICIOUS CONFESSIONS
CHAPTER 12 - THE FINAL RESULT
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 9 - NO...?

336 125 19
By Kshiteejkabra

"Abhi....I am sorry" – Shweta said.

"For what...." – well, my reply was just a statement, not a question.

"Yaar, tujhe pata hain na." – she replied, with a little persuation in her voice.

Guys, you have all the right, to make assumptions. But read on the Chapter 9 to know the final true answer.

***************************************

The last night of watching the Dandiya awards, the last night of gasping our breath for the final session after 11pm, the last night of dancing in pairs in the inner circle, the last night of deciding a single step to dance in the outer circle, the last night to tell a lie, that Kabir's surname is 'Mantri', the last night to do all these things in 2020.

However, for 3 people, this night was not one of those regular last nights of Maheshwari Dandiya.

We entered the ground, at 8:15pm itself, this time, I met some of the uncle-aunties along with Pratyush, whom I usually meet at the Maheshwari get-togethers.

At first, we danced all together, in the outer circle, on the beats of Bollywood Party songs. At 8:50pm, it was the break for the first session and I went to talk to Mom, because she had called me.

After 10 minutes, Pratyush called me saying," Abhi, sun na, 10 minute, ghar pe jaana padega. Ek kaam hain ghar pe, mummy ne bulaya hain."

I asked him about the work, and then we left on 2 different two-wheelers at 9pm. "Pehle toh mom ne mana kiya tha, but then maine convince kar liya." I spoke to Pratyush at his home, when he asked whether my mom allowed me, to drive a Jupiter at night.

At 9:25pm, we entered the ground again, with two boxes of awards in each of our hands, which were supposed to be given to the winners of tonight. I had no expectations to get any of them, as I laughed thinking for the same.

Without deviating our path, both of us walked from the periphery of the ground, when suddenly I heard a sound, calling me – "Abhi...."

I turned to see, which girl had called me, and I could see Shweta standing there with Preeti.

I did not respond anything, as I continued walking, looking in front, with some sort of confusion or determination in my mind.

10 minutes later, I walked back to my group, as they were dancing. Some of them in the outer while some in pairs. I joined along with Pratyush, little near to Kabira.

At 9:35pm, I wasn't much tired, when it was the break time, as the last night was ending. I walked to greet some of my school friends, shook hands with some, as we talked. While I was strolling back, I could see Shweta coming from the front and stopped me or rather stopped in front of me.

"Hi Shweta..." putting forward my hand, for a handshake.

"Hi Abhi...."

"Yaar tujhe bura laga kya?" she asked being concerned.

"Kis baat ka?" I replied suddenly.

"Tujhe pata hain na" – Shweta.

"Shayad.....nahi" I tried to give a confused reply.

"Abhi....I am sorry" – Shweta said.

"For what...." – well, my reply was just a statement, not a question.

"Yaar, tujhe pata hain na." – she replied, with a little persuation in her voice.

I myself felt that now I was irritating her a bit.

"Abhi, woh meri best friend hain, she knows all my secrets." She tried to make a strong statement firmly.

"Oh Acha." I spoke in a taunting tone.

The FLASHBACK (what happened 2 hours ago) (Chapter 8) 

(basically - WHY SHWETA IS SAYING SORRY TO ABHIMANYU?)

She spoke," Abhi, since tune khud ne bola, ki you will directly talk to the person, agar aisa kuch bhi ho, toh can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah sure."

"Preeti ke jaise hi, jab tum tumhaare class mein STD khel rahe thee, you answered my name, right?"

Speechless. I wasn't sure, what to answer. Further, I feared that she would create assumptions in her mind.

"Ahhh, haan." It was a bit soft.

"I am sorry, agar tumko bura laga." I further said, with complete modesty.

Now, probably she wanted to ask me a simple-single question – "Abhimanyu Mantri, tune mera naam tab kyu liya tha?"

But to my contentment, she could not ask that question directly, to me.

"Ahhhhmmmm....Do you really like me? "

"Tune hi bola tha, that we should ask the person directly, taaki koi misunderstandings create na ho, isiliye I am asking you directly."

(Continuation)

"Ahhhh....actually" I was about to say something, just then I heard a voice.

"Mummy, main woh kaam kar dungi aapka baadme..." (A GIRL SPOKE)

I was pretty sure, that this was not Shweta's voice. Now, I was completely shocked and startled, because there was a girl, on the conference call, who was listening to all our talks.

Also, there is a possibility that this girl is listening to our talks, from last 2 hours. I was unquestionably unhappy and tactless with this news. Further on, I was certainly not expecting such thing, from Shweta.

"Shweta, Preeti phone pe hain?" I asked, with a doubt in my assertion.

"Nahi...nahi toh" although Shweta spoke these words, it seemed that she giggled a little, while she spoke, increasing my suspicion.

"Shweta...Preeti phone pe kab se hain...?" I tried to be a bit normal, but I was unhappy, because in the entire conversation, I was talking about Preeti, and then, all of a sudden, I got to know, that she was listening everything.

I waited, but I got no answer. So I repeated my question again.

"Woh pehle se phone pe hi thi, tune mic kyu on kiya?" Shweta called out to Preeti, as all my doubts were true.

"Arre yaar...." I spoke, a little soft, but I was angry and confused how to react.

"Abhi sun, iss mein Shweta ki koi galti nahi hain. Maine hi usko tujhe call karne bola tha..." Preeti tried to give an explanation.

"Abhi...tu call pe hain?" Shweta asked again, as I stayed silent for some time.

"Guys, ahhhh, I will....

I will call back a bit later." Although, Shweta was saying something, still I declined the call. I did not pick up her phone, when she called again, and then.

CONTINUATION (IN THE PRESENT)

"Abhi, who meri best friend hain, she knows all my secrets." She tried to make a strong statement firmly, giving reason for her mistake.

"Oh achaa....okay" this time it was me, who gave a dull or blunt reply.

I guess, we were just waiting for each other, to speak, something.

In the background, an announcement was made, which distracted me a little," Agle 5 minute mein, Dandiya ka next session shuru ho jayega."

"I guess...Apna call khatam hone ke baad bhi, tum usko sab kuch bata sakti thi." I explained and tried to convince her, as I could see Preeti was looking at us, probably staring at us.

"I know, but usne bola ki tujhe add karna call pe, toh isliye." Shweta put forward the real thing.

"Thike...fine" I did not want to talk to her about this topic, at that moment, as I could see some of my colony friends, staring at me as well.

Neither of us were speaking, and I was sure, that I wanted to converse with her, something, probably about this topic. I wasn't sure, what Shweta was thinking, this time.

Just then, Kabir came towards us, and he jokingly asked," Tum log itne serious kyu ho?"

"Kuch nahi re, aise hi. All cool." I replied, although I was looking at Shweta.

"Hey...Hi" she shook hands with Kabir as Preeti arrived.

"Guys...chalo...ahhh, tum log kahan jaa rahe ho, andar ya bahar."

"I think iss baar bahar karte hain." I gave this answer, just because I knew that Preeti and Shweta were planning to go in.

In no time, all of us dispersed. Though, we did not go to opposite corners of the ground, but still a bit far away.

"Bhai...sab thik toh hain? Kya baat kar rahe thee, tum log?" Kabira asked.

"Lambi kahani hain...baad mein bolta hoon." I was not interested to recite the entire story to Kabir Chaudhary, at that moment, itself.

I also felt that Preeti might have asked the same question to Shweta, though I did not listen to her.

Time flew and passed as swiftly as the speed of our feet, dancing in the last DJ. The final night was completely over and so was our Dandiya nights.

While we were leaving for home, at the end, it was Preeti who had a talk with me for about 2 minutes, where she said that it was her idea to call me and keep herself on mute, so I should not get angry with Shweta.

I answered saying that now I am okay, so let's not talk about this anymore.

She asked once again," Pakka na Abhi...?"

"YES...know OR YES...no" I smiled, as we shook hands, and I left, though it was a very light handshake, not a firm one.

I thought about this while I was walking, laughed at myself as I got into the car. From the window, I could see Shweta come outside with her mom. For the first time, aunty had come.

I suddenly got out of the car, walked towards them. Strolling near the main entrance, I could see my mom standing near Shweta, although not talking to them. At first, I looked at my mom, just walking towards them, when Shweta's mother called me," Abhimanyu..."

I should have gone to her. On the other hand, she called me. Shit Abhi.

I whispered to myself, as I smiled and greeted aunty, touching her feet," Arre...nahi beta, pair mat padho."

"Hello aunty. This is Abhimanyu Mantri." I introduced myself, my class, Shweta being my batch-mate.

"Haan. I know. Shweta ne bataya mujhe." She answered as if she knew everything about me.

"Aur beta...padhai kaisi chal rahi hain?" the most common but valid question.

"All good aunty. Abhi, teen din Dandiya mein thoda break liya tha, but again kal se back on track." An appropriate answer.

"Shweta ko bhi sikhao zara...first prelims difficult thee...and its 10th toh padhai toh bohat ache se karni hain." She looked at Shweta while referring to her. At the same time, I looked at her as well, giggling.

Just then, my mom intervened, and it was a humble introduction for the next few minutes.

In those 11 minutes, Pratyush's mom also joined them, and I moved aside calling Shweta with me as well.

"Meri mumma ke saamne tera bohat acha impression hain."

"Topper, house captain." – For a second, I definitely thought that Shweta admired me.

"All thanks to you." I bowed a little, the typical style.

"Maine kya kiya?" she asked.

"Ahhhh....aapne hi toh aunty ko bataya hoga, mere baare mein." I answered.

"Main waise bhi sab ka bhala hi karti hoon." With a cute smile on her face.

"Haan definitely, sirf phone pe hi, logon ke dil toot jaate hain." I was speaking very pathetic words.

"Arrreeeeee...." She actually stretched it a little longer – ARRE.

"Acha thike...." Trying to get out of that topic.

"Tu sab ke liye itna bhala karti hain, mere liye bhi karde." I looked at her, stopped smiling.

"Bata...kya chaiye tujhe?" she asked, looking at me swiftly.

"Dekh haan, agar maine maang liya toh tujhe dena padega."

"Haan pakka, main de dungi, bata."

"Ek baar bol diya, toh....I will not take my words back."

"Haan baba, tu jo bolega woh main de dungi ya kar dungi. Tu bol toh sahi." She actually laughed at our conversation, taking it funny.

"Main Mazak nahi karra...Ms. Kalantry." – Although I wasn't that serious, but still, I spoke this sentence.

"Toh main kahan karri....Mr. Mantri" she said.

"Ahhhhhh......" I was saying something when, I heard – "Chalna Abhi." My mom looked at me.

"Haan...." I replied to my mom.

"Bye Aunty...." Shweta waved her hand.

"Bye beta...good night." Mom replied.

After walking about 10 steps, I...

I....

I.....

I did not look back, and continued walking.

A few days later...

"Hmmm...thiiiikeee. Lekin PCB mein thode better marks mil sakte theee." Priya didi ate the Kaju Katli which Mom had given her to feed me, as I myself lifted another one from the box, which Papa held, and put it in her mouth,laughing," Hey Bhagwan. Kabhi toh satisfy ho life mein."

She hugged me and I embraced her tightly and tried to lift her, out of fun.

Yes guys, it was the result of the 2nd prelims and I scored 93.7% and stood first in the class. Indeed a successful and drastic improvement in my overall score and this time I was really very proud of myself.

Not because I had done better or had scored full marks in Mathematics and physics, but because Priya Didi was satisfied with my marks and was proud of me this time.

That day, I did not study at all, and also talked with some of my friends, including Kabir, later Preeti and then Kavya-Pratyush at night.

That night, before sleeping, I looked at myself, in the mirror, and spoke- "Kuch bhi bol Abhi, in 5 months mein, tu bada ho gaya.

Maine kaafi kuch sikha hain, kaafi kuch experience kiya hain.

Lekin abhi bhi, kaafi kuch karna baaki hain Mantriji."

These vibes were something like 'feeling satisfied and contended'.

I slept a sound sleep that night.

Shweta scored 88.7% in the second prelims, I got to know from one of her friend, who was in my class. Although I did not ask my class-mate directly, but I paid attention when she was talking about the girls of 10th C, with others of my class.

Now, all of us knew, that only 2.5 months of school life were remaining. 1/4th of November, complete December – which would go in annual day preparations, complete January – which would go in the 3rd Prelims, and the only day of February for the farewell.

We enjoyed every single day of school life, because these days will never come again in your life.

"SCHOOL IS THE BEST PLACE. NOBODY CAN DENY THIS."

On the 29th November, in the 6th period, which was games, I was enjoying myself on the basketball court. A match was on, and 10 minutes of the period were over. We had only 3 games period, in the entire week, so these periods were very essential for my life.

Yes, games period is the most awaited period, in the school life, of every student and mark my words – IF ANY TEACHER CANCELS THE GAMES PERIOD OF A STUDENT, AS A PUNISHMENT.....

Sorry, lekin bohat bad-duayein lagegi...." Hahahahaha

I was at the 3 pointer line, trying a comparatively difficult shot and just as I was about to shoot, I heard the sound," Abhimanyu Bhaiya...."

As usual, I missed the shot, as it was an air-ball, directly going beyond the outside line, and I sank in dismay.

When I looked back, and walked towards the entrance of the court, in hot afternoon, I could see the face of a 9th standard boy, whom I had seen earlier, but did not know him, by name.

"Bhaiya...Reena maam is calling you, in the open area in front of the planning room." With his finger, he pointed in some direction, although it had no logic.

"Okay. I will come." I answered as I went back, informed my sir, picked up my bottle, and walked with him.

"Any idea, why maam has called me?" I asked him while opening the cap of my bottle, taking a sip or two, as we walked.

"Pata nahi bhaiya. But shayad for some skit or act in the annual day. Main sure nahi hoon lekin." His words made me feel glad as I felt, it was worth it, to skip the games period, in an ongoing match.

"Good afternoon Maam." I spoke politely, as ma'am turned from the table and smiled at me. I could see some 10-15 students, standing in 2 horizontal lines, including Aayushi, the school captain, the captains of 2 houses, Shweta and some of my friends.

"Good Afternoon everyone. Right now, as all of you know, we have gathered to select the comparers for the ANNUAL DAY."

"Right now, I will be giving each of you, a speech or so, to read. You are supposed to come forward, begin with introducing yourself – your name and grade, and then read the entire speech, with all the pauses and all."

"Is that clear?" Reena maam asked, to which all of us nodded and said yes.

"So, first who wants to come?" Maam looked at all our faces, and then sat on the chair.

I was ready to go first, but I needed time. However, as I was standing at the first place or the corner of the line, maam looked at me and said –

"Abhimanyu...will you begin?"

"Ahhhh...okay wait...he has come from games right now, so let's give him some time." Maam spoke as Shweta looked at, her glance with a mixture of admiration, as I felt.

Till then, Aayushi, you start." Glancing at everyone's face, maam finally chose our school captain, Aayushi.

So, now Aayushi walked up to the table, lifted the paper in her hands, and there began the first phase of the auditions, for the comparers.

5 chances later, it was Shweta's turn. Although, maam had not specifically commented on anyone's dialect or the way they spoke our speech, the only instance when maam spoke was, only while she was correcting the pronunciation of any word, if it was mispronounced by a person.

For example, the third child, did not pronounce the word 'colonel', correted.

So, she corrected him.

When Shweta began for the first paragraph, it went off well, but maam corrected her twice in her entire speaking. Once, wherein she was actually incorrect, and the second time, wherein maam actually heard something wrong, although she was correct.

After 2 more participants, maam asked the 8 of them, who had given their auditions, to leave. While leaving, we just gave a glance, wherein I pointed with cross-fingers towards her.

If I ask you, to guess my position, at which I gave my auditions, between 9th- 16th, what do you think?

Jai Shri Krishna, because 11 is a very lucky number.

It went off well, and while leaving I also asked maam about the auditions or the selections for the skit, which is to be performed on the annual day. To which she answered," Child, I will definitely call you, whenever I get time. Just now, I am running very busy. Have some patience."

A little disappointed at first, I spoke, "Sorry maam. I just wanted to give my name, in the list of the participants."

"Your name is already there child." She answered. With a smile on my face, I wished her 'thank you', as I left.

4 DAYS LATER....

"Bhaiiiiii-saaaaaaab........kitne logon ne ek dusre ko pagalpanti mein maara....Hey Maa Mataji." I spoke the above sentence, this time, to my mind, as I was studying the flow charts of FIRST WORLD WAR and SECOND WORLD WAR.

"Hitler ke dimaag mein pata nahi kya confusion tha..."

"Jaise Jackie Shroff sabko bolte hain – Bhidu....tu mera bacha hain."

Waise Adolf Hitler sabko bolta hain – Bhidu....tu mera dushman hain."

"France.....Dishkyaaon"

"Great Britain.......Dishkyaaon"

"Russia........Dishkyaaon."

I actually acted in the same way, when *sacred games music* began. Dancing while walking, I picked up the phone, and spoke," Imagine Adolf Hitler saying to all the Russia, France, Great Britain – Bhidu, tu mera dushman hain....DUSHMAN."

"Yeh Abhimanyu baat kar raha hai na..." she was definitely amused, by the way I spoke the dialogue, especially the accent.

"Koi shakkkkkkkkkk" I replied with a bang.

"Kaash main yeh record kar leti, aur phir Instagram pe daalti, the captain of yellow house, Abhimanyu Mantri, ki asliyat aur sachai hain yeh – Bhidu, tum mera bacha hain."

Both of us laughed loudly, as I suddenly asked her another question," Ek baat batao, Ms. Kalantry, yeh audio tum kis ke Instagram account pe daalte."

"Hmmm. Good question Abhi. Obviously, mujhe mere Instagram pe hi daalna padega. Tu mujhe apna username aur password thodi dega." Another witty reply, as I was checking our compatibility.

"Username is abhimanyumantri and password is capital A-B-H-I, underscore 786." I gave a swift reply, to her demand.

After pausing for 10 seconds, she replied, in her sweetest tone ever," Chal Jhoooooota ".

I loved our conversation and I am sure she enjoyed. After 5 minutes, she came back to the main reason for which she had called," Acha sun, yeh baat apan baad mein kar sakte.

Maine abhi call isliye kiya tha, kyunki mujhe kuch questions puchne theee."

"Kya sawaal hain aapke?" I asked with modesty, a tone which she MIGHT have liked.

"Pehle toh bata ki Reena maam ne tujhe wapas bulaya kya, for the selections?" Shweta asked, being a little serious.

"Nahi. Maam ne sirf itna bola hain, ki she will call all the selected members preferably from next week." I gave her a satisfactorily answer.

"Aur....ahhhh...mujhe annual day ke skit mein bhi part lena tha, toh uske liye bhi Reena maam ko hi naam dene hain na?" she asked. It seemed that she was much interested in our last annual day of school life.

"Haanji. Maam ko hi dene hain. Aur uske selections abhi tak hue nahi hain, toh jaldi se jaldi, kal subah de dena, maam ke pass jaake." I answered.

"Tune de diya?" – Shweta.

"Yup...." – Abhimanyu.

Continuing further, she asked 4-5 questions more, about our annual day and the events. We discussed about various topics – our last annual day, our excitement and a little sadness, our dances, our dance teachers, skit, comparers, the school council and many more.

I completely forgot History, while I was talking to her, and both of us seemed to be completely engrossed in the conversation, giving proper counter-questions to each-others comments.

Wow. It went off pretty cool, until this so-called controversial question, which she asked," Abhi...lekin tune mere ek sawaal ka jawab abhi tak nahi diya?"

I purposely took a deep breath and answered," Ab kya baaki hain madam?"

"Sirji, Dandiya ke time pe maine pucha tha, yaad hain, aapne mujhse kuch kahan tha..." she said something, which I was least expecting, and had entirely forgotten.

Wait. Wait. Wait. Was she just reminding me of some horrible advice of mine, for which, earlier as well, I was stuck in a horrible situation, and now again, I was getting into one.

While I was thinking all this, she continued after 10 seconds of silence," Agar aapko yaad nahi hoga toh main batati hoon..."

"Aapne kahan tha ki, it is always better to ask or tell someone, you know, if you like that person, rather than, listening from somebody else.

Because, isse misunderstandings hote hain." She actually remembered my every word.

"Haan, aur issi time pe, 2 ladkiyaan milke ek masoom ladke ko conference call karti hain." I gave a mocking response to this comment of hers.

"Yaar Abhi...sorry but, now you don't change this topic. Maine tujhe ek question pucha tha, uska answer de..."another blunt demand.

"Can you please repeat the question?" I spoke these words, with utter modesty.

"Tujhe woh question yaad nahi?"

"Nahi na....isliye tohbol raha hoon...please repeat."

"Chal thike...tere liye....the question was –

"Preeti ke jaise hi, jab tum tumhaare class mein STD khel rahe thee, you answered my name, right?"

Speechless. I wasn't sure, what to answer. Further, I feared that she would create assumptions in her mind.

"Ahhh, haan." It was a bit soft.

"Right, toh mujhe itna hi puchna tha ki...Do you really like me?" a straight shot, as I was flabbergasted.

"Yeh maine pehle bhi pucha tha...but tune tab answer nahi kiya tha...."

For the next 30 seconds, I was dumbstruck. Now, I had thousands of thoughts in mind my mind and heart, both.

If I say YES, what would be her counter-questions, and do I have answers to them? What would be her reaction to this? Most importantly, whether she would be angry or not?

If I say NO, what would be her reaction? She can also ask, then why did I name her, in the game STD and so on?

In these, 30 seconds, she called out my name thrice, but I did not respond, and I am sure, she had assumptions.

I was disheartened with myself, for no reason. However, I answered," NO.....?"

"Yeh tu mujhe puch raha hain, 

ya mujhe bata raha hain." – her just-the-most-perfect reply, to my confusing statement.

(Please could you scroll down.)

TO BE CONTINUED......

"People will come and go in your life.

But those will always return,

If the story is still remaining." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258K 5.4K 28
Hi i am Shanaya Kapoor and i am 14.I had a best friend Dev Malhotra and he is a charmer.All the girls in school worships the path he walks.. But i do...
681K 23.2K 57
Have you ever had a crush on somebody you knew you never had a chance with? It sucks right, try crushing on the same boy since the 8th grade. When s...
38.8K 1.4K 25
He was my first love . And he is my husband now . But we had a not so planned wedding. (Okay I suck at the description as this is my first time. But...
17.5K 1K 80
"ℍ𝕚𝕤 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕦𝕟𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘....." ★★★ AARYANSH × ISH...