Heroes of New York

By egwythe37

(Percy Jackson/Avengers Crossover) (Percy/Jason) Highest rankings: #1 in 'jercy' #27 in 'crossovers' #16 in '... More

ONE - CRASH
TWO - PROJECT
THREE - SPARKY
FOUR - GUARDIAN
FIVE - TOWER
SIX - WANDER
SEVEN - LOOK
EIGHT - FIGHT
NINE - CAP
TEN - HACK
ELEVEN - COFFEE
TWELVE - SHOP
THIRTEEN - BANNER
FOURTEEN - LAVENDER
FIFTEEN - DISCOVER
SIXTEEN - ERRAND
SEVENTEEN - MEETING
NINETEEN - SEARCH
TWENTY - PLAN

EIGHTEEN - DREAM

6.6K 253 141
By egwythe37

Chapter Eighteen

~Percy Jackson~

Normally, I wouldn't sleep around strangers. That was just something you pick up, having to fight for your life for literal years.

But I was tired.

I hadn't slept much last night after the whole Hulk Incident. The situation was just too weird for me to sleep after. I'd messaged a number of contacts about it (including Annabeth, of course), but no one had any good answers yet.

Also, for the first time in my life, I was kind of hoping for some of those fancy prophetic demigod dreams. At least then I'd know a little more about the situation, even if the whole thing would be terrifying and (likely) traumatic.

As it was, I fell asleep pretty quickly. And whether fortunate or not, I had a dream.

☤ ☤ ☤ ☤

I was standing in a large empty room the size of a warehouse, completely dark except for the bonfire in the centre (which could not be good for air quality). Somehow I could tell I was underground.

Standing by the bonfire was a humanoid shape - I'd say human, but I have too much experience with gods and monsters with human forms to expect anything else. The figure was crouched by the fire, staring into flames and muttering to themself.

"Soon, soon, soon," came the voice. It sounded male, but honestly who can tell with gods? Gender is a social construct anyway. "Soon all the world will see. They'll see what I want them to see, for once they will do my bidding! No more minor god."

I was grateful for the insane rambling. It certainly narrowed down the options on who the villain of the week would be - a minor god, some kind of servant, uses illusions. Probably Greek, given the writing on the inside of the coffee tin.

Suddenly the figure stiffened, and turned to look directly at me.

Uh oh, I thought, this never ends well. I was regretting my hope for demigod dreams just a teeny bit, now.

"Perseus Jackson," the god hissed. "You and your friends may have struck down my brothers and sisters before me, but I have an advantage. Yes, halfblood, I have one of your own. Replaced by an illusion so perfect, you won't find out who until it is far too late!"

The god's grin was sharp and manic and I had only the briefest of moments to wonder who might be a fake (it could be anyone, really, and despite having read all their files, i didn't know most of the Avengers team well enough to figure out if something was off about them) before the god lunged at me. With my feet stuck to the ground, I could only stand frozen as a clawed hand swiped through my dream form, dissipating my consciousness like mist.

☤ ☤ ☤ ☤

I could tell I was still dreaming when I reformed, because I was standing on the golden steps of an Asgardian palace.

I'd never personally been to Asgard, but I had seen it before in the background of Iris Messages to Chiron, and once in another dream from that time I met a Norse deity (long story?).

And it seemed I was about to meet another.

In front of me stood a tall, dark-skinned man (?) with golden eyes and matching golden armour. He was holding a gigantic sword and staring stoically forward.

"Perseus Jackson." Again, ugh, why do they always have to use my full name? "I am Heimdall, Watchman of the Gods and Gatekeeper of Asgard."

So I was right about them being a man, good - when someone can kill you without blinking, you never want to get their pronouns wrong (not that you should ever use the wrong pronouns for someone unless they ask you to). Anyway, Heimdall was a god I knew a little bit about. He was arguably the most important Norse god, given that he was their guardian and could see and hear pretty much everything. Annabeth had talked about the guy at length, especially once we met the Romans and had to start theorizing about other pantheons.

"Uh," I said, articulately. "Cool to meet you, I guess."

Heimdall smiled softly, seemingly amused.

"I have information that may benefit you, young hero. The god you are to fight - have you figured out who they are?"

I frowned and looked around the room. I normally wouldn't know much about the minor gods, since I usually dealt with the Olympians directly. But since the last war Jason had been working to build temples and shrines for the... less appreciated gods. We had all helped him go through a list, deciding who needed temples and where and what to build first. There was also a list of deities we weren't sure we should give shrines to at all. One of them had been-

"Dolos, Greek god of trickery, lies, and deception."

Heimdall hummed, "Yes, he was the apprentice to your Prometheus. He built a copy of a statue of Aletheia so nearly identical to Prometheus' own work that he tricked the maker himself into thinking he was seeing the original, if it had not been for the unfinished feet. He is a master of his craft."

The god paused, his face turning grim. "You cannot trust anyone while his influence is strong, not even yourself. Your senses will deceive you and your allies. However, there may be ways to break through these illusions."

I turned back to Heimdall with interest. If there was a way around the illusions without getting anyone hurt, it could put us at a huge advantage against Dolos.

"In the presence of simple illusions, one may be able to focus hard enough on their surroundings that the discrepancies become clear to them - a lack of heat when faced with fire, or an incorrect sound when faced with rain. Physical contact may disperse other illusions, if someone or something is being made to appear differently than they naturally are. Anything stronger may require magical assistance."

I frowned. This was going to be more complicated than I had hoped. The god seemed to notice my dejection.

"Perseus, as a demigod, you have much propensity for magic. For example, the Mist - if you can create your own illusions, however simple they may be, why could you not use the same magic to sense or break free of an illusion? And you have your father's blood on your side as well. You are one of the strongest demigods this world has ever seen, stronger even, than many full-blooded gods. You could use your power over water and the earth to sense people and objects - it might help in determining their reality."

"But I've never-"

"I am sure you are a quick learner, Perseus," he interrupted. "You have performed a great number of feats that should have been impossible. And yet..."

I nodded, unsure of what to say to that. Suddenly, an idea struck me.

"Heimdall," I stood a little straighter. "I once met a different Norse god, a couple of months back. I was wondering - well, I was wondering if they might be willing to lend a hand? It might help them as much as it helps us, what with - y'know..."

"Hmm..." Heimdall considered it, tilting his head to one side as if listening to something I couldn't see (which wouldn't be surprising given his godly abilities and also that this was a dream. "I suppose there would be no harm in asking. They have spoken of you once before. Expressed a sort of... fondness I have not seen from them in decades. You may just get your wish, young hero."

I nodded, satisfied with the outcome.

"Is there anything else you can tell me? Where Dolos is? Why he's suddenly so strong? Anything?"

"Unfortunately, it seems he has made some blockage even I cannot see through." Heimdall once again looked grim, clearly unsettled by Dolos' ability. "It is possible his strength comes from followers, or an influx of lies. Or he may be draining someone of considerable power. I cannot be sure. But wherever this source of power is, it will be where he has hidden himself."

I was about to agree, or maybe ask more questions (it was rare to have such a patient god willing to speak with you), but before I could do anything, the scene suddenly flickered.

I looked around hurriedly. Heimdall didn't seem even half as concerned, though he did look a little strained.

"You are beginning to wake up, Perseus. Your allies surround you, and have begun to question your presence and knowledge. I will pass on your message. Do not forget what I have told you."

"Right. Thanks, Heimdall." I gave a curt nod, which Heimdall returned as the dream began to fade away.

☤ ☤ ☤ ☤

I sat bolt upright on the couch in the common room in Stark Tower. Around the room stood nearly the whole Avengers team plus Peter and Pepper. I could hear JARVIS' voice coming from above, reading off one of the less flattering articles about me from the last time I went missing.

No one seemed to have noticed I was awake yet, all eyes focused on the holo-screen in front of them. So I said the first thing that came to mind:

"Don't you know it's rude to look into a guy's criminal past while he's taking a nap?"

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL!!!

we can only hope that this year, survival is an option we'll like. 

all ominous messages aside, this year has been rough as hell. Kudos to all of you that are here to see it over, and requiescat in pace  to those no so fortunate as us. 

I know this chapter is super late, but exams kicked my ass several times and so have mental health and family issues. 

On the bright side, I now have an official diagnosis (several, actually) and am on medication that will hopefully help. Maybe. Please let me know if you see anything weird or unusual in my writing though, in case its a weird side effect of the new medication :)

Distractions as of late include, but are not limited to: classes, exams, Animal Crossing, learning to crochet, learning to knit, learning German, getting back into the early Assassins Creed games (as in Altaïr, Ezio, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Desmond) nearly 11 years after my sweet boy Desmond's death, doing a 1000 piece puzzle, therapy, panic attacks, various noises, the Witcher fanfiction, Merlin fanfiction, Assassin's Creed fanfiction, Watchdogs (both the games and fanfiction), a knife that I found, dungeons and dragons, stealing construction signs, dragons in general, an existential crisis, sea shanties, trying to stay hydrated, AND MANY MORE!!!

But seriously, thank you all so much for your support and faith in me over the unintentional hiatus. I really love reading your comments, even if they're just pointing out things you found funny or weird or good or bad, I love them so much. I try to respond to as many of them as I can (when they need responding to) and I need y'all to know how wonderful it is to hear from you guys.

Anyway, I love you all, stay safe and happy reading

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 852 17
When Percy suffers from the aftermath of the second Giant War, alone, he finds himself meeting up with the Avengers. After everybody he loves his gon...
201K 3K 25
Percy is betrayed by who he thought was the love of his life. He leaves camp to complete a quest from Chiron. In return he goes to Hogwarts to protec...
51.3K 1K 13
Percy meets the famous Avengers through a most curious indivdsual. Unfortunately this person attracts the attention of both a powerful titan, and the...
435K 8.7K 15
Percy is the last standing out of the seven after the war against Gaea. After promised a month of free time, he visits home but gets sidetracked afte...