rebel | leah clearwater

By kiraalicex

We all know Charlie tries his best as a dad, but he could only do so much for his son, Arlo, since he lived a... More

𝔓𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
AN
☘ Ending 1 ☘
♱ Ending 2 ♱

01

12.2K 301 91
By kiraalicex

Arlo hates his mum. He hates his dad even more. And he cannot stand his sister at times - well, half sister. Perfect Isabella moved in with their father a year ago, giving his mum the idea that he could move there too. And now Arlo has become too much for her, that's exactly what she's done. So now he's been sent to father dearest. Oh the joy...

He grabs his bag off the luggage thing, throwing it over his shoulder before he trudges out of the dingy little airport - at least it isn't sunny here. He can't stand the sun, or hot weather. A week or two for vacation, sure! But to live in it? Ass-sweltering heat? No thanks. Forks rains like 9 times out of 10 anyways, so he's sort of happy there. Everything else? That's pissed him off.

Charlie leans on the cruiser waiting, awkward as usual. He hasn't seen Arlo properly in years but they last saw each other about 10 months ago when Bella had some freak accident. She's only recently just returned after running off to Italy for god knows what reason so he's also on edge about that too. But what could be more fun for him than the son who he's never bonded with? Yay!

Arlo clears his throat as he nears, stopping a few feet away. "Hey..."

Charlie forces a smile as he straightens up. "Hey, kid, how were your flights?"

Arlo shrugs. "Alright."

Charlie nods once and takes his sons bags, placing them in the trunk; both men are silent as Charlie begins to drive, Arlo staring out of the window. "So, uh, you ready to start school?"

Arlo shrugs. "Guess so."

Charlie sighs heavily. "Arlo, look..."

"Don't. Don't give me the 'let's try and get along' talk, I don't want it. I'll keep to my own business, you do the same." He snaps, turning away more to make his point clear - leave him alone.

Charlie gives a heavy sigh and decides to leave it there for now - he doesn't want to push the boy too far too soon. The drive is a little awkward after that. When he eventually parks up, he grabs on of Arlo's bags silently and leads him inside. "So uh, I hope this is okay. Your mom said you like dark colors." He says.

Arlo looks around the room, a dark grey on the walls with a few posters of bands he likes on them, some dark blue bedding on the bed and a battered computer on the small desk. "Fine. Thanks."

Charlie nods and leaves, letting him be. Arlo drops his bags and lays back on the bed, exhaling heavily as he closes his eyes for a moment. Breathe. Just breathe. He reminds himself. All he has to do is survive a year or so and he can leave, never have contact again.

He's never gotten along with anyone in his life, not his mum or sister, certainly not his dad. He had a couple friends back in Doncaster and he was happy with that, he fit in there - mostly. And now to have to start the school year with so short of a time left? In such a small town? He's gonna be called a freak. And not to mention hes evidently not from around here.

He came to be from a one night stand his mum had while she was visiting America once upon a time. She met Charlie a couple of towns away from here and I'm sure you know what happened. His mum, Louise, planned on never speaking of it again - then he came along. He's spoken to his dad a couple of times before, visited once or twice, but not much else.

"Knock knock?" A small voice says.

Arlo leans on his elbows and sees his sister peaking around the door, a small smile on her face. Now, even though they've never truly gotten along, he is a bit happy to see her. A familiar thing in this godforsaken place. "Hey." He smiles small and sits fully up. Bella and he spoke more than he ever did with his dad; he even went to stay with Bella and her mother, Renee, a handful of times over the years. While he isn't her biggest fan, she's a familiar face to him.

Bella pushes the door open fully and reveals a tall, pale guy beside her; inwardly, Arlo sighs. "Arlo, this is Edward, my boyfriend. Edward, this is my brother Arlo."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Arlo." Edward smiles gently.

Arlo nods once and looks at his feet, his dirty creepers suddenly fascinating. Bella covers the silence. "We came to see if you wanted help unpacking?"

"I'm alright, thanks."

"Okay. Well I'll have dinner ready in an hour or so, okay?" She smiles, heading out after.

Arlo lays back again and sighs to himself. "Fun."

-

His first night was rough; the rain was so different to what he's used to, in a weird way. Rain is rain, right? That's what he thought but evidently not. So today he's... Cranky. He trudged downstairs in a hoodie and some jeans, the hood up over his messy black hair.

"Morning." Bella smiles. "Dad left for work, but I got the day off. I wanted to show you around, if that's okay?"

Arlo shrugs. "Sure fine. Got any bacon?"

"I sure do." She says as she grabs it from the fridge. "How did you sleep?"

Arlo sighs. "Does it rain like that tall the time? Like, I'm used to rain, I love it, but this is mad."

"Uh, yeah basically. You get used to it, and bored of it, real fast." She says. "You want eggs too?"

"Naa, butter some bread and shove the bacon in it." He smiles.

Bella rolls her eyes. "What's it called again? A butty?"

"Correct. Got any ketchup too?" He grins.

Bella rolls her eyes and makes her brother his sandwich, which he hungrily digs into. She sits opposite him and plays with her coffee mug. "Do you know how to drive yet? Dad got me a truck when I moved here, I'm sure he'll do the same for you."

Arlo shakes his head as he wipes his mouth on his sleeve. "Nah, mum shipped me off half way through driving lessons. Back home you get your provisional at 17, you have to do a bunch of lessons before you can do the theory test and then once you pass that you do the practical."

"Damn, that sounds like a load of hassle. I can always teach you?" She offers. Truly, she doesn't know how to bond with this kid. They've grown up in different countries, only met a half dozen times and spoken briefly on the phone every now and then. But she remembers how hard it was to leave her mom, and she did so willingly; he kinda got pushed out and thrown across the ocean to live with a stranger - well, two.

"It's cool, I'm sure I'll figure something out." He shrugs, brushing his hands off. He goes to the sink and washes up, drying his hands off. "Cmon then, get me out of ere."

Bella smiles and grabs her coat and keys, heading out to the truck. Arlo follows, still just in his hoodie, and pushes the hood down to shake his hair out once in the cold cab of the truck. "This is..."

"Old. Older than both our ages combined." Bella giggles. "But don't you ever insult my truck." She warns playfully.

"I was gunna say its lovely." He smirks playfully in return.

"Gunna?" She says mimicking him. "Pronounce your words, boy." She teases.

"Never tell a northerna that." He rolls his eyes, looking around. "I think I came here once. For a day, that time we both came to see dad." He says, eyeing the res.

Bella smiles, ignoring her ringing phone. "Yeah, we came for the day to play with Billy Black and his kids - him and Charlie are still good friends. Jake is... Jake is my friend too."

"Oh, friend?" Arlo smirks.

Bella rolls her eyes. "Not like that. Not anymore."

"I bet you a tenner that your phone is ringing, it's that boyfriend of yours. Like a sixth sense that you're going near the other guy." He says.

You're not far off. Bella rolls her eyes. "What on earth is a tenner?" She dodges the statement.

"10 quid. Well, dollars now." He says. "Sorry, I don't like your language."

"It's literally the same!" Bella laughs hard.

"Naaa, not even close." He smiles.

Bella drives around the res and shows him some places, Arlo remembering hardly any of it. Bella parks at the beach and climbs out, Arlo following. "Aren't you cold?" Bella asks, eyeing her brother in jsut a hoodie as she cuddles into her big coat.

Arlo shrugs. "Naa, I used to spend most of my time outside. Weather's quite similar to home, it's sorta comfortin." He smiles small, watching his feet. He kicks a stray stone out of the way, watching it skirt across the sand. "Can I ask you somin?"

"Of course you can." Bella says, looking up at him.

Arlo looks across the water as they keep walking. "Does it get anymore bearable? Being here? Mum things it'll make me feel better, the change of scenery, but... I dunno." He sighs.

"It doesn't get any worse, if that helps." Bella tries to joke. "You pulled a shorter straw than I did. You finished school back home and now you've gotta start a new school, new country, new education system. You've got your anxiety and adhd to battle, you've got the awkward phase with Charlie to maneuver. But you just gotta wake up everyday and keep going. It isn't gonna be easy, not at first, but I promise it is bearable. Charlie is so easy to live with, and I'm not exactly difficult. And I'm always gonna be here with you."

Arlo takes a deep breath as he smiles. "Good, thanks." He nods; he hates emotions just as much as his father. "Race you to the cliff." He says, taking off running.

Bella gasps. "HEY YOU CHEAT!" She shrieks, running after him.

From the distance, Jacob and Sam watch the duo. "Who's with her?" Sam asks.

"Her brother. Charlie's other kid just moved here." Jake says, glaring at the back of Bellas head.

Sam nods once. "Then we make sure he remains oblivious to all of this. Understood?"

"Yes sir."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 5.5K 25
Doesn't everyone deserve a second chance at love? Neither Charlie nor Alex expected it when their paths crossed. Not in any way shape or form. But li...
25.3K 335 13
Billy Black's daughter, (Y/n) Black, sets off towards the mountains in hopes of forming her own pack, or possibly joining one. Jacob begged her to s...
103K 3.7K 17
When a boy meets a vampire, he feels as if he could live forever. 30,366 Words Started- 22/04/22 Rewrite- 18/09/23 Finished- 30/12/23 - Jasper Hale...
92K 1.9K 28
what if Charlie had a new girlfriend at the time of his and Reene divorce. What if they had twins now ages sixteen when Bella was one years old and...