A New Dawn (Complete)

By NonyeUwakwe

"You know you are not getting any younger. You need to settle down for God's sake. Your sisters are all tied... More

Author's note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
Epilogue
Author's Note
New Book Alert

11

458 84 7
By NonyeUwakwe

I had been avoiding Johnson for up to a week now. After he asked me to be his girlfriend, I freaked out and told him to give me time to think about it. And since then I haven't given him a reply. It was a good thing that my brother came over so I used it as an excuse not to hang out with Johnson or let him come to my place. Don't blame me. I'm kinda confused. I'm not sure I like him but if I start dating him, it will get my mum off my back. Maybe I should just be his girlfriend. I can end it whenever I want. I told Chizi and she told me to 'man up and talk to the guy.' Her exact words but I couldn't just face him yet.

It was Agozie's wedding today and Jesus Christ I have been working since two day ago. She decided to have both her traditional and white wedding on the same day so the wedding was taking place in the village. We were getting dressed for the church wedding and I was helping Agozie dress up. I refused to join her train or be her maid of honor. I didn't want to drag any attention to myself. Being single and attending her wedding was enough attention. I just hoped nobody would throw a pity party for me.

When we were done dressing, we headed for the church. We were Catholics so it was going to be a full mass.

It's going to be a long day

I zoned out during the service as the took their vows and kissed. Before I knew what was happening, we were taking pictures with the happy couple. I have never seen my sister look so happy in her entire life and I was happy for her. After the pictures, we headed home for the beginning of the traditional wedding. I wonder why women stress themselves by combining their traditional and white wedding together.

I'm not the bride and I'm stressed.

We quickly helped Agozie into a beautiful red dress and matching beaded jewelries for her first outing where she is supposed to greet her visitors. She came out, dancing the traditional, with her train, to the traditional son that was being played by the DJ, as she went round to greet her guests,  waving at people, and stopping at intervals in front of elders or prominent people to greet them properly.

I saw Johnson walk towards me and I wanted to run but unfortunately he had already seen me. I knew he was going to be here but I promised myself that I would avoid him at all cost and deal with this issue after this wedding. I guess I didn't do a good job at avoiding him.

"Hi" he spoke immediately he was in front of me.

"Hi" I replied smiling

"You look good. Very beautiful" he stated and I blushed.

"Thank you" I answered

"And your sister is a beautiful bride" he nodded his head towards her as he stood beside me and we watched my sister dance.

"Yeah. She's a good dancer too" I replied

"I'm sure you can dance" he smiled and I laughed

"I can't. I'm a disaster on the dance floor" I lied wondering when he would talk about me avoiding him.

I turned to the crowd and this time I spotted Chizi and the rest of my friends at a table talking. Chizi beat Iyke when he reached out and gave Ralph a fist bump. I wonder what they said. I smiled at them. I felt a nudge and turned to look at Johnson

"You zoned out" he stated

"Sorry" I replied and he nodded

"It's okay. I asked if you were avoiding me" he inquired as he looked at me with worry.

"Truthfully, I was. But I promise after this wedding, we will talk. Not tomorrow though coz I need to rest. Okay?" I asked and he nodded

"Sure you need to rest" he smiled, although the smile didn't reach his eyes.

Agozie and her train made their way back to us

"Duty calls" I spoke and he nodded.

I led Agozie into the room where we were getting her ready as we helped her change her dress into a blouse and two wrappers.

"Baby you were on fire. Your dance was lit" I spoke and she giggled

"I know. I was just shaking my waist. Mummy taught me oo" she replied.

"Ahh. And you did that? You have embarrassed mummy. Mummy that can dance for Africa" Onyii joked making all of us to burst out laughing.

We tied her gele, changed her beaded jewelries to silver ones and I tied her wrapper for her. I stepped back a little and admired my handwork with a smile. We headed out and as we got out, she danced with her train to where my parents and my uncle's were sitting while I quickly made my way to where my friends were sitting. I pulled the only empty chair which was beside Ralph.

"Hi guys" I spoke as soon as I sat down

"Girl you look famished" Chizi stated.

"Tell me something I don't know. Been working for two days straight" I replied

"Eyaa. Sorry ehhh" Maria spoke as she rubbed my palm with hers and I smiled.

"Chizi is speaking big English" Ralph whispered to Arinze but his voice wasn't low enough and Chizi heard him. She threw him a nasty glare which made him raise both hands

"I'm scared of that girl" Arinze said and Ralph nodded.

I'm very sure he didn't want to say anything that would get him on Chizi's bad side.

"My daughter" I heard my dad say into the microphone gaining everybody's attention. My sister knelt in front of him "take this palm wine, look for the man you say you want to marry, give it to him to drink and then bring him to me"

My sister took the glass of palm wine and started the search for her husband as the DJ played traditional songs. We watched as people tried to get her to give them the drink.

Did they really expect her to give someone who isn't her husband the drink? People

She finally found him, kneeling in front of him, she gave him the palm wine and he drank while everyone cheered. After drinking, he put some money into the cup and she led him back to my dad. They knelt in front of him again and he started blessing them.

"This place is packed" Ralph commented, looking around

"Guy. It normal. People come to these occasions to eat" Arinze replied and we all agreed.

Before we knew it, Agozie and her husband were cutting an enormous cake.

"Babe are you spending the night?" I asked Chizi

"Noo. I don't have your mother's strenght" she replied

"Please now. It's true sef. Where are your parents?" I asked

"Right there" she pointed to where they were seated with prominent people.

"I'm coming." I spoke as I left the table and headed to where Chizi's parents were.

When I got there, I hugged Doris from behind, my hands around her neck

"Mummy ndeewoo (welcome)" I said and she turned.

"Ahhh. My baby. How are you?" She asked as she stood up and engulfed me in a tight hug.

"I'm fine" I replied and she let go, holding me at arm's length.

"You have lost weight. Are you eating at all? This girl is not feeding well and she's stressing herself. Ina erikwa nke bu nri? (Are you eating at all?)" she ranted

Leave it to Doris to cause a scene. I've always been slim so it's not that big of a deal.

"Let the girl breathe. It's her sister's wedding. Let her enjoy it" Mr Chikwem cautioned and gave me a side hug

"Okay. I've heard. But take care of yourself oo" Doris replied with a warm smile.

"Yes mummy. I came over to say hi. I'll be going back to join my friends"

"Okay" the both replied and I go back to my friends

I realized that the couple were now dancing and people were spraying money on them.

"Chizi your mum likes to worry ehh" I whined as I sat down

"I know. She worries unnecessarily" she sighed and turns back to Iyke who whispered in her ear and she giggled.

I rolled my eyes and opened my purse, bringing out a wad of one thousand naira notes.

"Guys let's go spray my sister money and dance  jhoor"

We all stood up and went to the dance floor which was now a bit free. We danced a little and began spraying the couple.

"Woman shake that ass jhoor" Chizi yelled at my sister making all of us laugh.

Onyii came and joined us and the next thing, we were all dancing the traditional waist dance. Agozie, Onyii and I danced together while Chizi cheered and began taking videos.

This girl is crazy.

After dancing, we went back to our table and sat down

"I didn't know you dance" Ralph raised his eyebrows

"This girl is a dancer ooo. She will form modest now and tell you she can't dance" Chizi looked at me, waiting for my reply

"Don't mind her. I just try" I replied

"What did I tell you" Chizi spoke and they laughed.

"Babe you are good oo. I can't dance like that I swear" Maria stated and I smiled

"Better go and learn for future purposes" I wiggled my eyebrows at her and she blushed

"Stop embarrassing my babe please" Arinze spoke up and I glared at him

"Mouth piece of the gods. We hear you" Chizi retorted making all of us burst out laughing.

"Leave him oo. He's just defending bae" Ralph replied smirking at me.

"Let me find who will defend me oo" I state

"You know I will" Ralph replied

"Ehh. I see you. Defender. Abeg (please) I don't need your defense" I state and we laughed

"You keep hurting my feelings" Ralph replied

"Good. Very good" I say

The wedding surprisingly early ended around 7pm and Agozie followed her husband home. They got a lot of gifts form the wedding. Oh well, it's rich people's wedding. My dad gifted her a car while my mum gave her a gas cooker. The gifts were loaded in a truck which followed them.

I bade a good night to my friends and to Johnson, then helped put everything in order. My mum got people to clean up the compound as all our visitors left. By 11pm, I was happy to lay on my comfortable bed. I was so glad nobody made snide comments about me, at least not to my hearing. I finally closed my eyes and let sleep take over.

After the mass on Sunday where we did the thanksgiving for the wedding, we headed home. We had a few guests whom my mom attended to while I went upstairs to undress. A knock came at my door.

"Come in" I called out as I tied my big fluffy towel around my body

The maid walked in and I smiled at her. She was a young girl that my mom recently took from her village and is training her in school

"Aunty good morning" she greeted with a smile

"Ada baby. How are you?" I asked and her smile increased

"Aunty I'm fine oo." She replied

"How is school?" I asked

"Aunty school is not here oo. I'm trying. I've been getting good grades since" she answered with a proud smile

"That is good" I cooed

"Ehh mummy said you should come downstairs to eat"I sighed

"Bring my food upstairs" I replied and she nodded but stood still "do you need anything?" I asked with a knowing smile and she blushed

"Aunty my phone has spoilt. And I don't have money to fix it" she began to pick her nails, then looked at the floor.

I knew that mummy must have given her money and she spent it.

"Didn't mummy give you money?" I asked and she sighed

"I gave it to my brother. He needed money" she replied and I nodded.

"I'll buy you a new phone. And I'll open an account for you so that we can be sending you money" she jumped on me, hugging me tightly.

"Aunty thank you. God bless you"

"It's okay" I waved it off "Oya go and bring my food. If I'm still in the bathroom, keep it on the table. And tell mummy that after breakfast, I'll be going back to my place" she nodded and quickly left.

I had my bath, are my breakfast and left the village for my apartment.

After resting, I took my phone and messaged Johnson

Just got back. Can we see this evening so we can talk

And his reply came immediately

Okay love. Please rest even if it's for a little while. You totally stressed yourself out this weekend.

I smiled at his thoughtful nature, sent him an okay then texted Chizi

Me: babe I just came bck

Chizi: welcome baby. Should I come over? 😜

Me: Johnson is coming over. I asked him to 😑😑

Chizi: better. So will you be his gf??? 😏😏

Me: I don't know yet 🤦🤦

Chizi: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Me: stop laughing at me jhoor

Chizi: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 can't help it

I rolled my eyes and smiled. Flinging my phone on my bed, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

The ringtone of my phone woke me. I picked up and placed the phone on my ear and lay down back

"Hello?" I spoke groggily

"Hey. I've been knocking and there was no answer. I felt you were asleep so I called" Johnson said and I sat up.

I rubbed my eyes sleepily as I opened the door for him. He came in and sat down.

"Do you want something to drink or eat?" I asked

"No dear" he replied

"I'll get myself a cup of tea" I walked into my kitchen and put the kettle on. I came out few minutes later with a warm cup of milk and sat beside him. I sipped my milk as we were quiet for a few minutes.

"You said you wanted to see me" he sat up after a while and I nodded. "You are not obligated to date me okay? If you don't want to, it's okay. I just really like you but you don't have to reciprocate okay?" I smiled and nodded.

"Now you are making me rethink my decision" I spoke and he raised his eyebrows

"I don't understand" he scrunched his brows in confusion

"I'll be your girlfriend"

Okay guys. In Nigeria, Igbo culture to be specific, we have two types of wedding which the bride and groom have to do before the are fully and legally married. The first is the traditional wedding which takes place in the bride's family house in her father's village and it consists of the
introduction: where the couple's parents get to know each other

Then the traditional wedding. The bride has two outings in this wedding. The first, she comes out as an unmarried woman to greet her guest and she wears a dress or ties two wrappers, one on her chest and the other on her waist. The second outing, she comes out as a married woman. She wears a blouse, two waist wrappers and ties a headgear (gele).

That is the ceremony that took place in this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 662 17
All you need to know is, if you love sex, A lot of sex and some more..... This is your book. If you love to learn pidgin..... This is the book. If yo...
49.3K 3.2K 45
A lighthearted read. They're forced into an arranged marriage by their parents. Akram, a guy with a troubled past will have to learn to love Amira, a...
5K 383 27
Divine Jackson is driven. She's always had people to take care of, and that list barely included herself. So, it was hard making any room for a man...
22.4K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...