The Gathering of Masters (Upd...

By DCVbookfan

The Bond Once Severed Book 1 Natalia never questioned their bond. But Lukas fell prey to their greatest enem... More

Author's note
1. The Reunion
2. An End and Beginning
3. Returning
4. A Thief
5. Punishment
6. Meetings
7. Escape
8. A Journey Begins
9. Understanding
10. Adjustment
11. An Interlude
12. A New Bond
13. Interference
14. In Motion
15. Transitions
16. The Vale
17. Beginnings
18. Memories
19. Unleashed
20. A Confrontation
21. Exploration
22. A Change
23. Meeting the Healer
24. Healing the Body
25. Meeting Mother
26. Healing the Mind
27. Anger
28. The Mind Paths
29. Discovery
30. The First Test
31. The Next Master
32. A Remarkable Rescue
33. An Introduction
34. A Lesson Understood
35. The Calm
36. Possession
37. Demands
38. Outside the Vale
40. Master Jordan
41. Frustration
42. Coming Together
43. Moving Forward
44. Contemplating her Rescue
45. Crisis
46. The Unexpected
Surviving
A Conclusion
An Epilogue

39. Barriers

43 5 20
By DCVbookfan

As the sun sank lower in the sky, its light filtering through the crystal window made Diddero's skin appear almost radiant, glistening like polished obsidian. His eyes, seemingly untroubled by external factors, remained passive, while his lips formed a gentle smile that suggested a serene inner peace. Even as Natalia scrutinized him closely, she failed to detect any traces of her own distress or weariness reflected in his expression. Throughout the lesson, he remained as undisturbed as he was at the outset, his calm and composed demeanor a testament to his inner tranquility.

They had been at it for hours, yet Natalia had only built the most rudimentary of barriers. Her failure frustrated her, leading her to push herself too hard. Her concentration waned, and without Diddero's constant vigilance, she would have already made some dangerous mistakes.

The past few days in the shield and barrier lessons had gone so well for them both. It had come so easily to Natalia then. But for this lesson, Diddero had asked her not to use any of her internal magic. He wanted her to use an external source, but despite her efforts, she couldn't grasp what he meant. She only knew how to look within.

Raja had had more success. He described lines of power crisscrossing all around them. But Natalia couldn't see anything. The heavy weight of disappointment and self-doubt pushed down on her, breaking her most recent attempt at a barrier. Raja grabbed her hand to comfort her. She resisted withdrawing it like a petulant child. It had been this way with Lukas; he had always been one step ahead. Perhaps Raja would surpass her here, and she would always be the second strongest.

"A break," Diddero finally announced as two servants brought in drinks and reached for the refreshments they had placed near them. "Thank you." He told the brown-clad women absently.

"I can't seem to build it without drawing on my internal power," Natalia complained, letting out a cleansing breath before drinking the water Diddero handed her.

"Most cannot. Today's exercise aims to see if I can teach you how to use the power lines." Diddero's expression remained passive, and his tone neutral as he spoke. Instead of bristling at his words, his calm demeanor comforted Natalia more than any amount of sympathy or reassurance could have.

"I cannot," Leena commented, her voice surprising Natalia. She didn't remember seeing her enter the room. Natalia turned to the voice and saw her standing near the garden door in the back of the baren practice room. The circular space lay on the opposite edge of the house than the courtyard. The view from the large crystal windows was similar to the one Natalia viewed from above in her room. The large garden housed much of the fresh vegetables they ate, and Leena held a basket brimming with its bounty.

Jiyun stood and silently assumed her burden. Jiyun had been silent since she had turned the lesson over to her husband. But Natalia had felt her steady, reassuring presence the entire time.

"He has tried many times to teach me. I just can't seem to get it," Leena continued, her now free hands waving with exaggerated frustration.

"I can, but only some. Mostly, I use my own power for the shields I create," Jiyun offered as she shifted the basket in her arm.

"And you have vast wells of that, Shieldmaster," Diddero responded. "As do these students, but if they don't have to draw on it, so much the better."

"Have you ever drawn on the power of Water to build the barriers?" Raja asked Leena.

"Power of Water, I am not sure. I have asked Water to build temporary walls, but never these types of barriers."

"Hmm." Diddero stroked his bare chin. "I think I see what you are referring to. I call them power lines, but possibly you see them as extensions of the elementals."

"I am not sure, but the power I pull on seems Elemental," Raja admitted.

"Interesting," Diddero murmured. He turned his head to the closest window, and a slight crease formed at the visible side of his temple. When he focused back on Natalia, the broad smile that caused the wrinkle warmed her with excitement. "Ready to try something else?"

"First, I am here for more than the vegetables," Leena interrupted. "My brother has just arrived. He will be joining us for dinner with his wife. And I will need Jiyun to help settle them in."

"Of course, it is good he is finally here. We expected him a couple of days ago," Diddero stretched as he spoke. "Master Jordan will be a fine addition to your training. As will Master Agnes. Has the Master returned?"

"No, I do not anticipate he will return for some time. The Council has many things to discuss." Leena's tone changed, sounding more solemn than her usual cheerful and lighthearted manner. "Though Mara has returned. My brother convinced the Council that it was important to have an Elemental Master with the new students."

"Good," Diddero answered quietly.

As Leena made the announcement, Natalia felt a sudden rush of excitement. She had never met an Earth Master and wondered how different their incredible ability to communicate with The Mother would be. The Earth priestesses had told stories about the unnatural connection between the Masters and their elements, which had filled Natalia's mind with images of what they might look like. She wondered if the Earth Master would take on the form of his element. Leena and Destin flowed through the room like Water, and both looked somewhat like the Lady. Would Master Jordan be tall and imposing, like a boulder? Or would he be stoic and still, like a statue? Or would he be wizened and knarled like a great tree?

"I will not be able to continue our shield lessons today as planned. Do not forget to raise them again after you finish with Master Diddero's lessons," Jiyun instructed, her voice cutting into Natalia's musings.

Natalia had almost forgotten that Jiyun had helped them lower their shields at the beginning of this lesson. Though they could not access their internal power, Diddero had said they might need to keep their shields down to find the power lines.

Despite this lack of obstruction, Natalia had yet to feel the Elementals' presence during today's lesson. She wasn't sure if it was due to the presence of the Barrier and Shield Masters, but Natalia wondered what would happen if they did not rebuild the shields. Her Elemental siblings seemed to want what was best for her. Why did she need to block them out continually? She wanted to trust the Masters, but so many things were left unsaid.

Jiyun cocked her head to one side and looked at Natalia as if sensing some of her hesitancy but did not say more before leaving the room with Leena.

"Well, shall we try something new?" Diddero looked after his wife momentarily, then looked back at his students.

"It would be better than trying the same thing repeatedly, expecting a different result," Natalia answered. She forced her voice to sound light but heard her frustration leak through the comment. A soothing sensation flowed through the bond, confirming her inability to hide her self-deprecation. Natalia smiled and took a moment to feel pride in how much Raja could do with their bond, even without significant Mind Magic. Some abilities he had learned from his bond with Lukas, but this ability to soothe he had picked up from observing her. His quick mind continued to amaze her. Although, if she thought about it, it shouldn't. How could Lukas have loved anyone with less intelligence?

"Let's try the same thing, but from a different angle," Diddero instructed, interrupting her pondering. "The priestesses taught you to feel the power of the Earth and grab at it to control your environment, correct?"

"Yes, I could feel her power even if I couldn't grab it."

"Let's start the search now. We will begin by focusing on Earth, as it is the element you are most familiar with. You don't need to call out to the Elemental; instead, find the power that fuels it."

Natalia nodded and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She visualized the Earth beneath her feet, imagining the soil and rocks. Soon, Natalia felt the core of the element's strength. As she connected with its power, a mix of relief and excitement filled her chest. Natalia took a few deep breaths to calm her emotions and opened her eyes, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

"I have found it."

"Good. Now, pull from it without grasping it. Pull a little of the power without trying to shape it. Hold it." Natalia frowned and then siphoned some of the power from the Earth into her hand.

"Good," Diddero sounded more excited than she had ever heard him. "Now, use that unformed power to build a barrier between you and Raja."

Diddero had advised them that constructing barriers to the bond would be the most straightforward task. To sense any slight enhancement in her barriers, she had fully re-established the bond between herself and Raja. It hadn't been this strong in days.

Natalia stopped thinking about everything else and focused on Diddero's most recent instructions. Her frown deepened as she concentrated on pushing the power from her hand into the barrier she had been trying to construct all afternoon between Raja and herself.

She noticed that the constant hum emanating from the bond had suddenly vanished as she concentrated on it. She couldn't feel Raja's presence anymore, and fear and panic gripped her. Hastily, she pulled back on her power, causing it to surge towards her instead of the barrier she had just built. She braced herself for the expected backlash pain, but to her surprise, she felt none. When she reached out, she realized a subtle but noticeable barrier existed between her and the magic. She looked at Diddero, who was smiling at her. He had anticipated this situation and prepared for it.

"You did it. I should have warned you about the effectiveness of a full barrier, but I didn't think you would do it so quickly. But you did!" Diddero stood and then helped Natalia to her feet. "Amazing! A perfect merger of the power of the Priesthood with the power of the Masters. Now, you can use the power of the Elements around you, just as a Priest can. This ability to pull power should allow you to build barriers, and perhaps shields, or more, without draining all of your internal energy. I can't wait to tell the Master. This connection between my lines of power and your Elemental magic could revolutionize the building of barriers in those with the right talents."

Raja placed an arm around her shoulder and supported her, smiling as he watched their Master. Diddero had stood and appeared to be bouncing slightly on his toes. He was, at heart, a scholar, and this was a new discovery.

"So simple, but one of the Priesthood rarely trains as a Master. I wonder if Rosemund...."

"Rosemund, what?" Natalia prompted when it was clear that Diddero was not going to finish.

"Well." Diddero paused, and some of his excitement drained as he contemplated his hands. "I am not sure if you knew that the Priestess is also a Master or was before she entered the priesthood."

"I suspected," Raja offered.

"She is a spy then. Is this why she opened her doors to the Master?" Natalia asked, then felt sudden anger from Raja.

"What?" she asked through the bond. Raja shook his head and looked at Diddero, who nodded at Natalia's question.

"Before she was a Master, she was a Witch, but never a Mage. She was not yet a Master when she met you the first time, Raja," Diddero explained. His words reminded Natalia of Raja's first meeting with Rosemund. It did not explain his anger to her, not entirely, but she knew it must be rooted in that time. "My understanding is that she was on her journeys at that time and played the role of a Witch because it was one she knew well. Rosemund has many stories. I wish she were coming so she could share them with you."

"Is she not?" Natalia was surprised that this woman who had been so crucial in their survival was not coming to the safety of the Vale.

"She has chosen the Temple and its acolytes over the Council. She will not come, and she has severed all contact." Diddero abruptly stopped talking and clapped his hands. "I think that is enough for today."

Natalia and Raja stood and bowed to Diddero as he left.

Natalia had just accomplished something significant and bubbled with excitement to talk about it. However, she could sense that Raja still simmered with undefined anger. Natalia gave him some time to calm down. As she waited, Natalia reflected on her success and its implications for her future. Finally, once Raja had returned to his usual steady emotional state, Natalia gently asked him about his anger.

"I want to talk with her, with Rosemund, to understand," Raja explained as he took her arm. "But, I do not think she betrayed us."

"Was she a spy for The People as well?" Natalia prodded, finally feeling that she understood his anger.

"She was," Raja confirmed as they walked to their rooms. They remained silent for a while.

"She was another spy who kept something from Lukas," she offered after they closed the door, and Raja sighed.

"I'm sorry, Natalia. It's an old habit. I am used to hiding things from everyone but Lukas. A habit that I am foolish to continue." He sat on the couch, his face showing his disturbance. "Yes, it is another spy who kept something big from Lukas. One of those spies he cultivated so well likely betrayed him, and another saved him. I wonder if he is less aware of his limitations than he should be."

"I imagine he is," Natalia sat next to Raja. "Lukas has always been more powerful than anyone training him. How can he know his limitations if he doesn't look for them? Have you ever told him to?"

"No, how could I? I barely understand what he does," Raja answered without anger, laying his head back and closing his eyes. Natalia took his hand into hers.

"It is your job to question him," she rebuked him gently. "Just as it is your job to question me, you are our bondmate, the only one we can fully trust."

"So, I have failed him again, then?" Raja's voice shook.

As Natalia lifted her gaze to meet his, she was struck by a sudden, overwhelming surge of emotions that took her breath away. Her heart raced as she realized the depth of her feelings for Raja, and a sense of urgency rose within her. She knew she had to speak honestly, no matter how difficult it might be.

"Yes, you have," Natalia confirmed, provoking him to open his eyes and look at her with surprise. "And you will fail him again, just as he will fail you, just as I will fail you."

As Natalia's fingers grazed Raja's face, she felt a spark of recognition, a deep connection that had grown stronger with time. Raja's eyes met hers as he mirrored her gesture, his hand cradling her cheek. At that moment, Natalia knew she could easily transport him to the Mindspace, where their thoughts could fully intertwine. But she resisted the temptation, letting the silence stretch between them. Raja needed to be the one to invite her in, to open himself up to her completely.

In an unexpected flash of movement, Raja's lips had claimed hers. The swift, almost predatory way he had closed the distance between them startled her, yet the searing heat of his kiss captured her senses. The raw intensity that bristled between them was almost tangible, an electrifying force that pulsated through the air, yet they refrained from crossing the threshold into the Mindspace.

Her thoughts, once orderly and composed, were now a jumbled mess, entangled in the intoxicating allure of his proximity. Her resistance, once sturdy and unwavering, began to crumble under the weight of his passionate advance; all that remained was the primal desire to be enveloped in his embrace, to forge a connection that transcended the physical.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open as they separated for a moment. With a confident look, Raja lifted her up in his arms and carried her towards his room. His movements were purposeful, and his strength was reassuring. As he walked, she could feel the warmth of his body radiating through her. It was as if she was enveloped in a cocoon of safety and comfort.

Raja's gaze held no confusion or doubt, and his newfound confidence struck her. It starkly contrasted the uncertainty he had shown since they had arrived in the Vale. His confidence was contagious, and it strengthened her desire for this connection.

In a fleeting moment, the dense fog in her mind lifted, and a sudden recollection of nights spent in his warm, platonic embrace without any hint of desire for more entered her rational mind. She attempted to comprehend the inexplicable change in Raja's demeanor. Still, before she could gather any reasonable thoughts, he kissed her again, sending shivers down her spine and causing all logic to flee. He gently lowered her onto the bed, and as he pulled away, she could still feel the remnants of his kiss lingering on her lips, igniting a fire within her that she had not felt in many years.

***

A heavy knock on the door aroused Raja from his sleep. He felt warm and contented and did not want to move, but the knock continued.

"Master Raja, my mother sent me to ensure you were awake in time for dinner." Raja sleepily recognized Minho's voice and pulled himself up to his elbow.

"Thank you, Minho. We will be there," Raja answered, and the boy stopped knocking. At least he had not entered the room as his sister often did. The body beside him stirred, and Raja smiled. He had not felt this content in a very long time. When Raja looked down at the form beside him, confusion blanketed his contentment. As Natalia cautiously smiled back at him, he felt her quickly clamping down on her chaotic emotions, not closing the bond but organizing her thoughts to not leak through it.

"It is time to get ready for dinner, Tali." Wanting to soothe both of their emotions, he leaned over and kissed her lightly. Natalia responded with the same gentleness and then sighed as they separated.

"Can't we stay here?"

"Tali, the new Earth Master, will be there. You do not want to offend him," Raja teased lightly, though her desire to remain with him buoyed him with pride.

"Oh, right. I will need to bath. How long do we have?"

Raja glanced at the burning time candle at the side of the bed. "We have a little less than a candle mark." He sat on the edge of the bed and turned to Natalia as she sat on her side. "How did Jiyun know we would be sleeping?"

"She probably assumed we would be tired after all that training, and we were," Natalia answered with a wry smile. They were tired from more than training. A pang of guilt bore into his heart, and he tried to shake it loose.

"Probably," Raja responded as he watched Natalia stand and gather her clothes strewn across the floor. "Leave them. I'll take care of it." He added, gesturing towards the clothes. "Just go get ready."

"Thank you." Natalia's shoulders relaxed as she responded, her voice barely more than a murmur. Suddenly, as if jolted by a sudden realization of her undressed state, she hastily covered herself with her outer robe. Her face revealed a subtle change, flickering with unease and discomfort, exposing the unexpected complexity this event had added to their relationship. It was a complication they likely didn't need.

"I will meet you in the sitting room, as usual," Raja added as he threw on his robe. Natalia nodded, but her posture hunched forward as if she wanted to become invisible. Raja strode towards her, wrapped his arms around her back, and pulled her into his chest.

"Tali, I do not regret our joining," he whispered into her ear, unsure if it was the right thing to say. He tried to push reassurance and affection through the bond. Natalia smiled at him and turned to kiss him again.

"Neither do I," she responded after lowering herself again. "But it worries me that things changed so very quickly between us. It feels unnatural."

She shook her head to forestall any further conversation, and Raja let her return to her room to prepare for dinner.

Raja found himself deep in thought, wrestling with a gnawing sense of unease. A question had begun to haunt him: should he feel guilty? There was no denying his profound affection for Lukas. Their bond was strong, yet it was a partnership punctuated by Lukas's dalliances with numerous partners. No other man had ever tempted him since meeting Lukas, and he had never contemplated sleeping with a woman. But he had not forced this fidelity onto Lukas, and its absence was a fact he had long accepted.

Yet, he had now slept with a woman and truly enjoyed the connection. And it was not just any woman. He had entangled with Natalia, who held a unique place in Lukas's heart. She was the only other person Lukas had truly loved. A new question floated into the forefront, making his heart heavy: Who would he choose between Lukas and Natalia? Worse, who would Lukas choose?

WC3617

Last Edit 1/7/24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.2K 21
"I would prefer not to hurt you, but I will if I need to." They said. I felt cold metal on my neck moving lightly against my skin. My emotions were a...
3M 81.6K 37
My name is Jade. I was kidnapped and given as a gift. Like a pet. A gift meant to mend the bond between a father and son. But before his son knew I...
1.3K 144 31
Lucian Jefferson's dad went missing the day after his first birthday, leaving him to discover a whole new world of magical spells. Although involved...