In Times Flow

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her bel... More

Sitri Eisner:
The Death of Sitri Eisner:
He Who Stays Cannot Leave:
The Heir to The Church of Seiros:
Father Dearest:
The King's Visit:
A Faerghian Tradition:
The Kings Departure:
Night Endeavor:
The Prospects of Friendship:
Changing Times:
A King's Plea:
To Faerghus:
The Prince of Faerghus Part One:
The Prince of Faerghus Part Two:
The Death of the Queen of Faerghus:
Garreg Mach:
Queen Consort of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus:
Poor Prince:
The Royal Families Departure:
Imperial Year 1173:
Imperial Year 1173 Part Two:
The Tragedy of Duscur:
Retribution:
The Execution of Christophe Gaspard:
Imperial Year 1177
Heir to House Gautier:
Departure from Gautier Estate:
To the Kingdom's Aid:
Western Faerghus Rebellion:
The Heir to House Riegan:
Remire Village:
A Fateful Encounter:
The Start to a New Year:
The Blue Lions:
Training Grounds:
The Mock Battle:
A Celebration:
Saint Macuil Day:
The Red Canyon:
Threat of a Rebellion:
Garland Moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Threat of an assassination:
Blue Sea Moon:
The Holy Mausoleum:
What Lurks in the Night:
Into the Abyss:
What Lies Beneath:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
The Missing Cardinal:
Betrayal:
Mother Dearest:
The Disowned Son of House Gautier:
To Conand Tower:
The Lance of Ruins:
Missing:
Missing Flayn:
The Death Knight:
Flayn:
Zanado:
Duscur:
The Battle of the Eagle and Lion:
A Celebration:
Impending Danger:
True Chivalry:
A Sudden Realization:
The Calamity at Remire Village:
The Beginning of Ethereal Moon:
Rhodos Coast:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
The Goddess Tower:
Father:
Good- Bye, Father:
The Goddess of Fodlan:
Change:
The Holy Tomb:
The Fall:
Return:
Returning to Garreg Mach:
Charon Estate:
Fhirdiad:
Dimitri...
The Prince and Princess of Faerghus:
The Kingdom's Help:
Imprisonment:
Escape:
What comes next:
The Royal Family Lives:
Attack on the Monastery:
Ailell:
A Plea to the Alliance:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Into the Holy Tomb... Again:
Unescapable:
Gronder Field:
What's Gone is Gone:
Fhirdiad:
A Plea From the Alliance:
To the Alliance:
Fort Merceus:
Arianrhod:
Dear Stepsister...
Enbarr:
The End of the Adrestrian Empire:
Grandmother...
The Immaculate One:
The End:

Imperial Year 1172:

423 16 6
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

The moons passed by slowly, the students that were there the prior year finally left and the new students for the new year were beginning to move into the student quarters.

Somewhere among the halls of Garreg Mach Glenn was wandering.

Or maybe not... Since she had shown him around when they were children.

Grandmother had told her that there were a few other nobility that would be attending, there was one from the Empire the heir to House Bergliez if she remembered correctly. Two from the Alliance, neither of them were any houses of importance, just minor lords. And from the Kingdom there were two as well.

Glenn and Christoph.

"Byleth!" Flayn called from outside Byleth's room door "Don't you want to meet the new students?" she asked.

Not particularly.

But... Grandmother had stressed the importance of her having social grace and wanted Byleth to get used to dealing with nobility more. Naturally, it meant her interacting with them.

Normally Byleth would have been thrilled at the prospect of a friendship... But that isn't what this is about.

She needs to set an image that she is capable of leading the Church when her time comes.

It doesn't matter if she has barely reached the early age of adolescence, Grandmother said that they cannot show any weakness that will cause the people to lose trust in them.

It seems so... Hollow.

To make connections like that. Byleth had to wonder, is that how Grandmother saw all of her allies? Was there no one she truly trusted?

"Byleth!" Flayn shouted once more.

Ah, right.

She gets up from her desk and opens the door, "Sorry Flayn" Byleth murmured as the girl stared at her with a stern expression.

"You know how Brother gets when I meet new people" Flayn groans "I only have so long before he will intrude" she sighed and grabbed Byleth's wrist "We cannot waste time" she concluded before dragging Byleth along the familiar monastery halls.

It wasn't long before they saw the fresh new faces of the monastery.

It was always the same, they looked around in awe of it.

Byleth couldn't blame them, there were times she would do the same and she had lived here her entire life.

Flayn released Byleth's wrist and went off to a group of girls to make friends.

Byleth smiled softly at the scene.

So carefree...

"Lady Byleth?" a voice questioned from behind her, she turned to face the person.

A tall boy with brown hair and blue eyes...

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, he looked familiar but where had she seen him?

And then it finally hit her, it was Christophe.

"Ah, sorry Christophe," Byleth began. "It took me a moment to realize it was you," she added.

The older boy chuckled, "It's alright Byleth" Christophe said "Tell me do you still study the blade?" he asked.

Byleth nodded, "Of course" she replied. A sour memory came to mind of her losing that match to him all those years ago, "I do believe a rematch is in order from our last fight" she added.

"Is that right?" Christophe asked "If you are willing to lose, I'll be more than happy to oblige" he added.

Was that a challenge?

"As if," Byleth said sternly.

"If you care to test your luck, guide the way to the training ground" Christophe said.

Byleth thought about it for a moment and glanced over at Flayn. She was entertained by the group of girls "Alright, you're on" she said and turned and began guiding the way to the training grounds.

Byleth hadn't trained as much as she used to when she was younger, but she knew she was still decent with her skill.

Although... Christophe had probably honed his skill as well.

But if Byleth still wanted to join the Knights of Seiros before she took over her as Archbishop then she would need to get stronger.

"So... How've you been?" Christophe asked as they walked through the halls of the monastery.

"Well I suppose" Byleth replied "And you?" she asked.

Christophe shrugged "I can't complain" he said, "Cassandra still talks about you" he laughed "You know you should write to her" he added.

Byleth was silent for a moment "I wouldn't be bothering her?" she asked.

Christophe laughed, "No, trust me you wouldn't" he said "But the choice is yours" he added.

"Thank you," Byleth said softly.

The rest of the way to the training grounds they walked in silence.

"Ah, so this is the training grounds," Christophe said and looked around. "It's impressive," he added.

Byleth nodded, "That it is, we have to be well equipped here for the Knights" she said and walked over to the weapons rack. "Do you still use a sword?" she asked and turned to the older boy.

Christophe nodded, Byleth grabbed two swords and handed one to Christophe then waited in the center of the rink.

Christophe twirled the sword in his hand for a moment, "Are you sure you're ready to lose?" he asked.

Byleth readied her stance, "Only if you are" she retorted.

Christophe chuckled and the fight commenced.

Byleth lost again.

"Dammit" she cursed and put her sword back on the rack.

"You put up a good fight" Christoph said "You know it would help if you didn't spar in a dress, it restricts your movement" he added.

Byleth was silent, she had never thought about that before, "Does it really?" she asked.

The older boy nodded, "Of course, why else do you think the students have a different uniform?" Christophe said.

That... Did make sense.

"I see" Byleth murmured "In that case I may need to rethink my outfit options for now on" she said "Thank you Christophe" she added.

Christophe nodded, "It was no trouble, I look forward to our future spars" he said and put his blade on the rack.

"Ah, I thought I would find you here" someone called out from the entrance of the training grounds.

Byleth turned to look at their unexpected visitor.

Oh, "Glenn" Byleth said "It's good to see you again" she added.

Glenn nodded and entered the grounds "It's good to see you too" he said and looked at Christophe "Already testing the mettle of the students this year?" he asked.

"No, it was a rematch" Byleth replied "Glenn this is Christophe" she said and gestured to the older boy "Christophe this is Glenn" she added and gestured to Glenn.

Glenn furrowed his eyebrows for a moment, "Ah! He's the person you lost a match against" he said.

"Two matches against" Christophe corrected.

Byleth sighed, "I've also lost to his Highness" she said.

Glenn nodded, "So I've heard, His Highness wouldn't shut up about it for moons" he said "But to be fair so have I, his crest packs quite the punch" he added, then looked to Christophe "I look forward to defeating you" he concluded.

"Likewise," Christophe said and eyes Glenn for a moment, "You're a little young to be attending the academy" he said.

Byleth isn't sure if it is meant as an insult or just an assessment that he made.

"So?" Glenn said.

Christophe shakes his head, "Sorry, I didn't mean it in a bad way" he clarifies "I'm just curious is there a reason, or you just wanted to get it over with?" he asked.

Glenn stared at him for a moment, "I am going to be a Knight" he said "And in order to protect His Highness I need to be strong" he added sternly.

Byleth's eyes widened, "You're in charge of protecting His Highness?" she said.

Not to be rude but... That didn't seem entirely smart on the King's behalf, sure Glenn was skilled but there were so many seasoned Knights as well.

Glenn nodded, "Yes" he replied "I will be the one to look after His Highness" he confirmed.

"Isn't that dangerous?" Christophe asked, "You are still young yourself, how can you be expected to protect the Prince?" he said.

"It's my duty as the shield of Faerghus" Glenn said through clenched teeth.

Uh, oh.

Byleth didn't like the tension that was brewing.

"Hmm, I see" Christophe murmured then bowed slightly "In that case I wish you the best Sir Glenn" he said "Good day to you both" he concluded and left from the training grounds.

"What an ass" Glenn muttered, "Now I especially look forward to defeating him" he added.

Byleth sighed and shook her head, "Glenn you know he will be a fellow classmate of yours, right?" she asked "It would do well to get along with him" she added.

Glenn frowned "You sound like my Father" he said.

Was... That supposed to be an insult. Byleth wasn't sure so she won't say anything about it.

"I didn't know you were to be Dimitri's guard," Byleth said.

Glenn looked at her for a moment, "Really? I thought it was fairly obvious" he said "Why else would I have gone with you and Lady Rhea to the Capital when the Queen was ill" he added.

Hmm.

She had never really thought much into it.

"I just thought it was because you are nobility" Byleth answered.

Glenn was quiet for a moment, "I guess I could see why you came to that conclusion" he said and scratched the back of his head "But that doesn't change my purpose, I am the shield for the royal family" he concluded.

Byleth knew Glenn said that with pride but... She couldn't help but feel that it was a bit morbid. He is still so young; how does he know for certain that is what he wishes to do...

But then again.

Is Byleth really one to judge him?

She wishes for the same thing to join the rank of knighthood and in order to do that she will have to be willing to lay her life on the line for the Church of Seiros.

"I understand," Byleth said, "Our duties come first" she added.

Glenn nodded, "Exactly" he said and smiled, "Anyways, I should go and finish unpacking my stuff" he added and turned around "I'll see you around Byleth he said then left from the training grounds.

...

The year went by with ease, there was nothing of notoriety that occurred.

Although Byleth had used the time to improve her swordsman skill, it helped that she had the constant competition.

And despite their uneasy first meeting Christophe and Glenn reached an uneasy alliance that they would not kill one another.

Byleth saw that as a win given the circumstances.

A knock on Byleth's room door broke her train of thought. "Who is it?" she called out and arose from her chair to open it.

"Hello sweet child" Grandmother said once the door was opened.

"Ah, Grandmother has something happened?" she asked.

Lady Rhea shook her head, "No, I just came to visit" she said "I came to see how you were doing. I know that you were close with the students of this year".

Byleth was silent for a moment.

"And with Captain Jeralt having left for his mission in the Alliance last month, I wanted to ensure that you were doing well my dear" Grandmother added.

Was she?

"I think I will be able to manage Grandmother" Byleth said "After all I won't be alone, I still have you, Uncle, and Flayn" she reminded.

Grandmother nodded and smiled, "That you will my dear" Rhea clasped her hands together softly "Come Byleth the graduation ceremony is starting soon, you wouldn't want to miss it" she hummed and left from the room.

Byleth remained there for a moment then followed after her Grandmother.

The ceremony was the same as it was every year.

It was held in the cathedral and Grandmother stands before them to give the blessing of the Goddess.

And once that is done the celebration commences in the dining hall.

"So, you're really still going to be a knight?" Christophe questioned.

Byleth glanced at him, in the year that Glenn had been here he'd grown a lot, sure. But there was only so much that a fifteen-year-old boy can do.

Glenn nodded, "It's my duty to the crown" he concluded.

Christophe nodded, "I understand" he said "Just don't be reckless" he added.

Glenn scoffed, "Me? Reckless?" he said "I'm certain that is defamation of character" he added.

Byleth sighed and shook her head, "Glenn, Flayn and I had to heal you the most out of your classmates" she reminded "It is fact" she added.

Christophe laughed "see, even Byleth here agrees" he said "Remember Glenn a good knight uses his brains just as much as he uses his blade".

"You use your blade before you use your brains," Glenn retorted.

Christophe nodded, "And that's exactly why I am not a knight" he said "The future of Faerghus rest upon your shoulders Glenn, remember that".

Glenn was silent for a moment, "I know" he said "I won't fail his Highness or his Majesty" he declared.

Byleth was certain he wouldn't.

Christophe smiled, "Good".

The rest of the night went on, it was filled with cheer as the students celebrated their freedom late into the night. And once it was early morning they slowly began to leave from the monastery.

Byleth stood by the entrance gate watching as the students slowly left, some took their belongings and departed on a horse, other had family that had come for them.

"You're being weird" a voice called out from behind her.

Byleth turned to see Glenn, "Hm? Am I?" she asked "Why's that?".

Glenn sighed and walked beside her, "How long have you been out here watching people leave?" he questioned.

"Since morning" Byleth replied.

"Why?" Glenn asked.

Why?...

Honestly Byleth wasn't certain.

She told herself that it was to make sure that the students who left were ok, but... Maybe it was just a reminder of her position, those around her will come and go.

It was a natural fact; she is like her Grandmother. And who knows maybe there will come a time when she doesn't care anymore.

"I don't know" Byleth murmured.

Glenn was quiet for a moment, "Can I ask you something?" he said.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "Sure, what's the matter?" she asked.

Glenn shifted around uncomfortably for a moment, "Do you think what Christophe said last night is true?" he asked "Am I too reckless to be a knight?".

Byleth frowned, "I don't think that being reckless will mean you are a bad knight" she said "I think you will make His Majesty and Dimitri proud" she added "You just have to think before you throw yourself into a fight".

She paused a moment "Remember, here we trained you but the knights were always there to make sure things never escalated to a point that it would harm you" she said "You will be facing that kind of danger and you will be expected to do whatever it takes for his highness to survive, even if that means giving up your own life" She glanced over at Glenn "Is that something you are willing to do?".

"Yes," Glenn said without hesitation.

Byleth had figured as much, despite his cold exterior at time Glenn was the embodiment of the ideals that Faerghus held.

"Well then Sir Glenn, may the Goddess protect you" Byleth said and bowed slightly.

Glenn laughed, "Don't do that," he said.

Byleth hummed, "Alright Glenn, now answer my question" she said "What's in the Abyss?".

Glenn went silent, he'd managed to avoid the question all year long.

"Do you believe in ghosts?" Glenn finally asked.

Byleth looked at him with a neutral face, "Really a ghost?" she said in an unconvinced voice "I have a hard time buying that" she added.

Glenn shrugged "That's what I saw" he said.

Byleth sighed, that was the end of that.

All of these years, she waited and waited for her question to finally be answered only for it to be so unsatisfying.

"Tell me is it the same ghost said to haunt the halls here?" she teased.

Glenn laughed, "Who knows, maybe" he said "You don't sound impressed by it, what'd you expect?" he asked.

Byleth shrugged, "I don't know" she said "A beast of some sort or something" she sighed "I didn't think it would be a ghost" she added.

Glenn hummed lightly, "They never do" he said "Well, Lady Byleth" Glenn said and bowed deeply "It has been a learning experience sparring against you this past year, but alas destiny calls" he concluded.

"You still need to pack don't you" Byleth sighed.

Glenn nodded, "Yeah" he said "Till next time Lady Byleth".

Byleth smiled softly, "Good- bye Sir Glenn" she called back and watched as he disappeared in the monastery.

Author's note:

Hello everyone! I just want to let you guys know from this point on the story will be moving faster. Anyways I hope you all enjoy it. Oh! Right, I have recently made a discord for talking about this game and bouncing ideas between writers! Feel free to join us if you would like!

https://discord.gg/QpGPBNrqJK

Anyways till next time! Thanks for reading! : D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 398 10
Through questionable occurences, you get brought to FΓ³dlan. There you're able to use your nerd knowledge to help its people and maybe woo some cute b...
22.3K 426 25
A transfer student, Kendall Carvalho, enrolls in the Officers Academy at Garreg Mach. She didn't know what to expect on her first day, many surprises...
32.9K 1.3K 98
"BYLETH, YOU'RE DYING." Those were the words Byleth Eisner had heard her entire life...but it had never rang true. She had always known that the doct...
2.4K 32 12
Jeralt had gone through so much and has gone through the struggles of being a single, widowed father. He watched as his only daughter and child, Byle...