Fighting Against Fire [One] (...

By Turtlii

The Protector never wanted anything but a life of peace and quiet, only to watch the Universe from afar, lear... More

Fighting Against Fire
Prologue
Rose - I
Rose - III
Same Room, Different TARDIS
End of the World - I
End of the World - II
End of the World - III
What's a Time Lord?
The Unquiet Dead - I
The Unquiet Dead - II
The Unquiet Dead - III
Aliens of London - I
Aliens of London - II
Aliens of London - III
World War Three - I
World War Three - II

Rose - II

604 38 6
By Turtlii

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOCTOR WHO!! As promised heres the second part to Rose, if you're reading this on doctor who day (and claras birthday!) you enjoy this, if not I still hope you enjoy this.

-----

The Protector followed the Doctor out of Rose's flat and down the sets of stairs.

Rose followed them both down. The Protector sat on the stair rail and glided down each set of stairs until they got to the bottom "Hold on a minute. You can't just go swanning off."

"Yes, I can. Here I am. This is me, swanning off. See you."

"But that arm was moving. It tried to kill me."

"Ten out of ten for observation." The Doctor commented.

"You can't just walk away. That's not fair. You've got to tell me what's going on."

"No, I don't."

"All right, then." Rose suddenly spoke up with confidence. "I'll go to the police. I'll tell everyone. Tell me, or I'll start talking."

The Protector narrowed her eyes. "Is that a threat?"

Rose swallowed hard. "Sort of..."

"Doesn't work." She chuckled "Not very threatening, trust me, I know threatening. I've done threatening and my threatening works."

"Who are you?"

"The Protector," the Time Lady smiled, she nodded at the Time Lord who walked down the road, "that big-eared idiot is the Doctor."

"That's your name, the Protector?" Rose asked.

The Time Lady nodded. "Yep."

"Surely you have a normal name?" Rose asked the Doctor.

"Yeah, the Doctor."

"But Doctor what?" She asked.

"Just the Doctor."

"The Doctor." She repeated.

"Hello!" He grinned and waved at her.

"Is that supposed to sound impressive?"

"Sort of."

The Time Lady snorted. "It really doesn't."

"Says the woman who calls herself 'the Protector'." He retorted, wobbling his head slightly as he mocked her Americian accent.

"I do not sound like that!" She huffed.

Rose looked between the duo and crossed her arms. "Are you two married?"

"What?" Both the Time Lords snapped, the Doctor turned around and stared at Rose, the Doctor looked at the Protector as she looked back at him, he then scoffed and turned around as she replied: "I find that insulting."

"Okay..." Rose awkwardly muttered. "Guess not but come on. You can tell me what happened. I've seen enough. Are you the police?"

"No, I was just passing through. I'm a long way from home."

The Protector rolled her eyes. "More like you were following me." She huffed.

"Me following you!" He glared at her. "Why the hell would I follow you?"

"You two really don't like each other do you," Rose commented. "First I thought 'they're like an old married couple' but I guess not."

The Protector nodded at Rose. "Trust me, if you spent the whole of the Academy stuck in the same classrooms as him you would hate him too."

"Right..." Rose slowly nodded. "Moving on... what have I done wrong? How come those plastic things keep coming after me?"

"Oh, suddenly the entire world revolves around you." The Doctor rolled his eyes. "You were just an accident. You got in the way, that's all."

The Protector slapped the Doctor across the back of the head, causing the Time Lord to let out a yelp as Rose protested. "It tried to kill me!"

"It was after me, not you. Last night, in the shop, I was there, you blundered in, almost ruined the whole thing. This morning, I was tracking it down, it was tracking me down. The only reason it fixed on you is 'cos you've met me."

"So what you're saying is, the entire world revolves around you."

"Sort of, yeah."

The Protector laughed. "He wishes the universe revolved around him."

The Doctor huffed while Rose shook her head. "You're full of it."

"Sort of, yeah."

"But, all this plastic stuff. Who else knows about it?"

"No one."

"What, you two are on your own?"

"Well, who else is there? I mean, you lot, all you do is eat chips, go to bed, and watch telly, while all the time, underneath you, there's a war going on."

"Okay. Start from the beginning. I mean, if we're going to go with the living plastic, and I don't even believe that, but if we do, how did you kill it? "

"The thing controlling it projects life into the arm." The Doctor crossed his arms, grinning smugly. "I cut off the signal, dead."

"So that's radio control?"

"Not exactly." The Protector corrected. "More like controlled through thoughts, telepathy on a larger scale." She tilted her head to the side and watched Rose, almost visualising the cogs moving around in her head. "Are you alright, though?"

"Yeah." Rose shrugged her off. "So, who's controlling it, then?"

The Protector shrugged. "No idea, I just followed the signal to the shop, found a lift, used the lift and then had a bumbling idiot and a terrified blonde girl run in and ruin my day, no offence though Rose." She smiled at the blonde. "His fault, not yours."

The Doctor let out a sigh of annoyance and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Long story."

"But what's it all for?" Rose asked. "I mean, shop window dummies, what's that about? Is someone trying to take over Britain's shops?"

The Protector chuckled and shook her head. "As amusing as that would be, no."

"No?" Rose asked.

The Doctor rolled his eyes. "It's not a price war. They want to overthrow the human race and destroy you. Do you believe me?"

"No," Rose answered.

The Protector raised a brow. "But, you're still here and still listening."

"Really, though. Tell me, who are you?"

"Do you know like we were saying about the Earth revolving?" He asked. "It's like when you were a kid. The first time they tell you the world's turning and you just can't quite believe it because everything looks like it's standing still." He shook his head "I can't speak for the Protector here but I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour, and I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go. That's who I am. Now, forget me, Rose Tyler. Go home."

The Protector watched as the Time Lord headed for the TARDIS with the plastic arm. She sighed and turned to Rose. "It's exactly like that." She admitted. "The one thing we can both agree on."

The Time Lady then turned and left. Rose headed back to the flats but turned her head after feeling a rush of wind and hearing loud wheezing like noise. She frowned noticing the blue box the Time Lords were walking towards had disappeared.

×××

The door opened and Rose smiled at Mickey as he answered the door. "Hey, hey, here's my woman." He grinned as Rose rolled her eyes and entered the flat. "Coffee?" He asked.

Rose nodded. "Yeah, only if you wash the mug. And I don't mean rinse, I mean wash." She pointed at him. "Can I use your computer?"

"Yeah. Any excuse to get in the bedroom." He smirked while Rose took a seat at the computer and went to the search engine. First, she typed the word 'Doctor' and got 17,700,000 thousand results, she then thought and put 'Protector' and got near enough the same before combining the two. 17,000,000. Rose then typed 'Doctor, Protector, living plastic.' 55,300 results. She frowned and typed 'Doctor Blue Box' and found 493 results. Reading the top result she clicked on the link which brought her to a page with what looked like the Doctors face. Scrolling down she saw an email address and decided to type out an email...

×××

Mickey and Rose sat in Mickey's yellow car as they drove up to the house where the man who apparently knew about the Doctor lived. "You're not coming in." Rose protested. "He's safe. He's got a wife and kids."

"Yeah, who told you that?" Mickey replied. "He did. That's exactly what an internet lunatic murderer would say."

Rose shook her head and got out of the car before she headed over the road and knocked on one of the doors, it swung open a few seconds later and a young boy, around twelve stood at the door. "Hello, I've come to see Clive?" Rose said. "We've been emailing."

The boy sighed. "Dad!" He called. "It's one of your nutters!"

A rather large man with a friendly smile headed to the door and nodded. "Oh, sorry. Hello. You must be Rose. I'm Clive, obviously."

"I'd better tell you now. My boyfriend's waiting in the car, just in case you're going to kill me." She gestured to Mickey who rolled his eyes as Clive gave a wave.

"No, good point. No murders."

"Who is it?" A woman upstairs asked.

"Oh, it's something to do with the Doctor. She's been reading the website. Please, come through. I'm in the shed."

The two-headed into the back garden and into the large shed which had multiple files scattered around and a computer in the corner with the man's website open. "A lot of this stuff's quite sensitive. I couldn't just send it to you. People might intercept it if you know what I mean." He explained. "If you dig deep enough and keep a lively mind, this Doctor keeps cropping up all over the place. Political diaries, conspiracy theories, even ghost stories. No first name, no last name, just the Doctor. Always The Doctor. And the title seems to have been passed down from father to son. It appears to be an inheritance. That's your Doctor there, isn't it?" He pointed at the screen.

"Yeah." Rose nodded.

"I tracked it down to the Washington public archive just last year." He explained. "The online photo's enhanced, but if we look at the original..." He bought out the original and handed it to Rose. "November the 22nd, 1963. The assassination of President Kennedy. You see?"

Rose's eyes grew wider in what she couldn't believe to be true. "It must be his father."

"Going further back. April 1912." He held up another photo, this time in black and white. "This is a photo of the Daniels family of Southampton, and friend. This was taken the day before they were due to sail off for the New World on the Titanic, and for some unknown reason, they cancelled the trip and survived." He then held up a small sketch. "And here we are. 1883. Another Doctor. And look the same lineage. It's identical. This one washed up on the coast of Sumatra on the very day Krakatoa exploded. The Doctor is a legend woven throughout history. When disaster comes, he's there. He brings the storm in his wake and he has one constant companion."

"Who's that?" Rose asked.

"The Protector."

Rose sighed thinking he was about to mention death or dying as Clive brought out another folder. "I only just discovered her a couple of months ago but if you look at all the sightings of the Doctor this woman isn't far behind." He explained bringing out a photo of President Kennedy's assassination from another angle. A woman with black hair stood in the crowd, identical to the woman Rose had seen earlier that day. "I can't find many 'official' photos of her but there have been claims of people seeing that woman going around. Sometimes she's with the Doctor, sometimes she's not, but if the Doctor and the Protector are back if you've seen them, Rose, then one thing's for certain. We're all in danger."

Rose looked up at him and slowly nodded. "If he's singled you out, if the Doctor's making house calls, then God help you."

"But who are they?" Rose asked. "Who do you think they are?"

"I think it's the same man and woman. I think they're somehow immortal and that they're aliens from another world."

×××

After talking to Clive, Rose headed back to Mickey's car and got into the passenger side. "All right, he's a nutter. Off his head. Complete online conspiracy freak. You win!" She groaned. "What are we going to do tonight? I fancy a pizza."

"Pizza!" Mickey exclaimed with a grin. "P-p-p-pizza!"

"Or Chinese." Rose shrugged.

"Pizza!" Mickey replied before starting the car, he then drove down the road, the car swerving a bit too much for Rose's liking.

-----

How is everyone liking the Protector at the moment? She isn't the biggest fan of the Doctor but it's pretty clear why. Anyone got any ideas or theories on what might happen during this book?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.9K 2.6K 115
Being alone is not so bad. It's when the loneliness kicks in that you realise how scared you are. You try to fill the void with all the friends you c...
2.6K 87 16
The Doctor, in his 10th incarnation, meets another traveller again. He and Kate seem to complete each other perfectly. But he doesn't know how perfec...
275 15 8
Once upon a time there was a war to end all wars, the Time War. Then there was a man who stopped it, his name was the Doctor. Everything on Galifrey...
90K 2.2K 73
πƒπŽπ‚π“πŽπ‘ π–π‡πŽ: SEASONS 4, 5, 6 & 7 ➫ 10th & 11th Doctor x OC ━━━━━━━━━━ ΞΉΡ•Ξ±Π²Ρ”β„“β„“Ρ” βˆ‚Ο…ΠΈΠΈΡ” is a twenty-five year old woman from the year 2030. She...