Diamonds Dancing

By radteens

A recently widowed music producer and father of two struggles to balance parenthood and work-life, and thus... More

Full Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven "Part 1"
Eleven "Part 2"
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One "Part 1"
Twenty One "Part 2"
Twenty Two
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight "Part One"
Thirty Eight "Part Two"
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
Forty Five
Forty Six
Forty Seven "Part One"
Forty Seven "Part Two"
Forty Seven "Part Three"
Forty Eight
Forty Nine
Fifty
SOS / An Intervention
Lonely Star (Slater's Pov)
Coming Down (Rika's Pov)
Glimpse of Us: A Complete Timeline

Twenty Three

44.4K 1.8K 567
By radteens

Home was not something that sounded familiar on her lips.

In fact, the entire concept of being able to call a place 'home' felt unnatural to her, forced if you must. Relaxing in the back of a cab with her boss and his children, the tight feeling in her chest failed to diminish the closer they got to the fancy manor.

Although her stay at the cabin had been an unforgettable experience, she was more than relieved to be back in the city of lights. She was happy to be home.

She needed some normality and routine back in her life. Not to mention the ever-growing pile of college work that she desperately needed to get started on.

Rika winced, she had made the poor decision of not bringing her work with her on her stay, she had no idea how many sleepless nights it would take to get back on track.

After saying an emotional farewell to Vera and Marco—who she had to say her goodbyes to as soon as they landed as he was heading a different direction to them. The words, 'get the children's bags' from her boss confirmed that he wanted her back to work as soon as possible, and so they were on their lengthy journey to the manor.

The girls were entertained in their little worlds, one with a book glued to her hands and the other counting the number of red cars she spotted outside of the car window.

"Five." Lilia took a better look, practically shoving her face against the window. "And another one there, six!"

Slater hissed lowly, dark frames on his face shielding his eyes from everyone. "What did I tell you about being quiet, Lia." He warned, sitting with his head against the leather seat.

At the sound of his stern voice, the young child immediately returned to her seat, smushing her face into it. Crossing her arms over her chest, a sulking pout etched onto her face. "Sorry, Papa."

It appeared that her reaction wasn't one he was most pleased with.

If it wasn't already clear what mood he was in, his next comment made the nanny bite her bottom lip, "I'm not telling you off, so you better wipe that frown off your face before I give you a reason to sulk."

Rika swallowed harshly, looking over to see Lilia's sparkling eyes begin to water.

He had been in a bad mood the entire journey thus far.

She had no idea if it was the hangover, or if he was simply in a bad mood. Whatever it was, she couldn't help but feel awful for the little girl trying to keep herself entertained.

It was strange, talking to him again whilst they ignored everything that had happened in Russia. It was almost like it had never happened.

"She was only trying to have a little fun, there's no need to be so mean." She spoke up, her voice timid and barely there.

He turned his head to face her, even with the sunglasses on, she could tell his piercing eyes were staring her down.

"Mean," Slater repeated, a taunting edge to his tone. "I don't remember asking the nanny for her opinion. However, since you're so desperate to interfere with a conversation that doesn't involve you, you'll have to remind me, what did I hire you for again?"

She closed her mouth, ducking her head low. "To look after the kids." A robotic reply rubbed against her soft-looking lips.

His agreement came in the form of a hum,

"Don't tell me how to parent my own children, Johnson."

That was the last thing she wanted to do, she mused.

Acting like his words didn't affect her, she took a lookout of the tinted window, seeing the sight of cars and trees rushing by in a flash.

She didn't know where to begin, her mind was utterly scrambled. It was a mess in there. Rika pondered with the thought that maybe their night of passion had been a drunken mistake and that Janessa's honesty was better kept a secret.

At least for now, it was.

There was no doubt about it, if he found out what she had been told, he would fire her on the spot.

As much as she realised quitting was a wise choice for her, she couldn't bring herself to leave. Those tiny little girls had materialised into the love and tenderness she had been searching for her entire life.

The opportunity was not only credible to her future career in childcare—the sole purpose of her employment to better her resume, but it was making her see the true meaning of life.

Love. She loved the children, that was one thing she didn't question.

She didn't want to replace anyone in their perfect family dynamic, especially not their mother. She didn't want him to believe that she was trying to either, that would crush her entirely.

Janessa's words had hit her like a ton of bricks, making her wonder if she needed to get out of there before it was too late.

Slater's hoarse murmur jerked her away from her overthinking, "Jan, don't let go of Rika's hand, okay?" he instructed, the car pulling into a smooth stop. "And no talking to anyone out there."

Mousy brown locks bobbed as the book was snatched away, honey eyes practically bugged out of her skull. "Be careful with that!"

He didn't listen, concentrated on unbuckling Lilia's belt and putting the hood of her coat up.

Thumping against the car had already begun, it was no surprise that the paparazzi had arrived.

They must've seen him pictured at the airport, she thought to herself, wincing when the flashes and muffled yelling become ten times more intense.

Nothing could ever prepare her for the next moment, the car door opened and the drivers face emerged. Straight face, no hint of any emotion, he uttered the simple words, "Have a good evening, Mr. Ivanov."

Rika understood that to be her cue to get out of the vehicle first, straightening up her posture, she smiled at the elderly man.

"Thank you." She bowed her head a little, avoiding the cameras and shouts, before turning to bend her head into the car.

"You ready, munchkin?"

A disappointed face shook her head, "Nope, they suck." she announced calmly, still ducking her head and manoeuvring herself out.

Instantly, a smaller hand clasped into her own, and the eight-year-old hid her face into the nanny's side.

By the time they had gotten out of the car and walking towards the lengthy entrance to the manor, Slater and Lilia were catching up swiftly. He had his youngest daughter in his arms, whilst their suitcases were dealt with by one of the many staff.

Unlike usual, the swarm of paparazzi was something else.

It was shocking to see how many eager faces scattered around them, asking the same questions and demanding attention.

'Slater! Look over here!'

'Is this your new girlfriend?'

'Are you finally returning from your hiatus?'

The nanny didn't know what was happening. All she knew was to keep her head down and ignore.

His footsteps faltered as his senses were overtaken by the bright lights and loud sounds. His eyes scrunched shut as he grunted in pain, hands coming up to protect his eyes as his shoulders hunched up around his ears.

"One more fucking flash... I dare you..."

Slater's deep voice got lost in the chaos of the screaming reporters and he felt as if he were blind, too much stimulation all at once slamming into his senses and blocking them completely.

When the footsteps were virtually nonexistent, she decided to look back to see what was happening.

The taller man was shoved, causing him to stumble whilst a particular reporter screamed questions in his face.

Murmurs came from the mass of reporters and her sensitive ears could hear the clicks of cameras making her flinch as the noise crowded his ears.

She saw the way he hesitated, almost as if he was controlling his rage.

Thinking he would brush it off, she moved to continue her strides until she heard it.

'Nessie! Lia! What do you think about Mommy's birthday being soon? Do you like Daddy's new girlfriend?'

Slater turned to meet the gaze of darkened eyes, picking up his sunglasses slightly to look directly into the photographer's eyes.

"What the fuck did I tell you?" He asked slowly, in a manner that was deliberate and dangerous. "No flashing lights, she has epilepsy."

It all happened so quickly, one moment he was posed and holding Lilia securely, and the next, a loud crack and wail was heard. The stranger dropped his camera, cradling his nose trying to stop the bleeding.

"What the fuck!" Tumbled out of pained lips, a loud shout and plea to sue the producer for acting irrationally.

The Russian didn't stop there, his free hand circling the poor photographer's neck. Since his height was taller than most, he towered over the rest of the crowd by a landslide.

His vice grip tightened, putting pressure into the hold. "I told you once already, 'do not take another picture', but you fucking cunts appear to lack the mental capacity to understand basic instructions."

Her face morphed from shock to worry when she locked eyes with the man struggling to breathe.

"Touch me again, and I will fucking kill you."

To say that he was furious was an understatement.

She was glad he came to his senses when he did, for a moment, she feared he would never remove his hand.

She sighed in relief and calmed a little. The paparazzi man slowly rubbed his sore neck and stepped back as he was bombarded in his own questions.

Rika frowned, waiting for him to catch up with her. They weren't able to take the car through the gates which was the reason why the commotion started in the first place.

Reaching her, he looked down to see the concern written across her delicate features.

"Are you ok?" She dared to ask, meekly.

She figured it didn't hurt to ask, although her mind was starting to piece the puzzle together.

His excessive binge-drinking. Janessa's clinginess. Lilia's rise in bad behaviour.

The three of them were unconsciously resisting the special birthday that was closely approaching, one that the nanny had no awareness of until he had lost his temper.

For the first time in a while, his shoulders slumped as he tried to breathe through his nose. "I'm fine. You?"

She simply nodded.

Her heart started to thunder in her ears. She was enthralled by the swirling warm colours of his eyes so much emotion and feeling could be seen within. It felt like a lifetime before he cleared his throat and broke the connection they shared.

He nodded behind her when he saw that she was still not moving, he added. "You have two perfectly functioning feet, learn to use them."

Rika stammered into action.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.2K 1.5K 44
(Completed) Discovering that her husband has been cheating on her, Haley Williams is single for the first time in fifteen years. Haley sets out to di...
119K 4.5K 32
(***18+**contains mature content and a lot of vulgur language He wants her in his bed, and he will make her want him. However, she's not falling for...
60.1K 2.3K 66
"Meeting you was fate.. Becoming your friend was a choice.. But falling in love with you I had no control over." -Teresa Conroy "When wounds are heal...
145K 14.8K 56
(Complete) Divorced Dad, Leo Nelson, can't keep a nanny for his two children. His preteen daughter, Riley, plays tricks and sabotages every nanny the...