My Favorite Stranger

By smooonie

She's got the looks, the money, and the recognition, but she's missing one thing. On the outside, Mya Stone h... More

Author's Note
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
"Valentine's Day"

4

8.1K 414 111
By smooonie

Mya was on the road again, heading back to the hotel.

She was beyond tired. Her head hurt from all of the brainpower she used to concentrate during the presentations. She didn't think they were going to run on that long, but she cursed at herself for not knowing better.

Tristan sitting next to her all night was a familiarity she was no longer comfortable with. The number of times she almost leaned her head on his shoulder was appalling. She missed when his hand would occasionally land on her thigh or he would nod off and lean against her too.

The vast emptiness even being so close next to each other was forlorn. She found it bizarre that you could be so happy with someone for so long, just for it to crash and burn the next month or even the next week. You could go from loving someone with every fiber of your being to hating them in seconds.

Was it ever truly love if I could hate him?

The harrowing cycle of thoughts began again, swirling around in her head as she drove. She was so consumed in the broken philosophy of it all, she didn't realize her front driver side tire was currently going flat and the spare was already in use.

The car began to slow down, Mya looking down at the tire pressure notification that popped up on the dashboard in disbelief.

"No, no, please," She begged as the car eventually came to a complete stop, tilting over on its left side. "Fuck!"

Tears broke through her waterline as she gripped the steering wheel and leaned over to rest her forehead over her hands. The night was tough, she hadn't had a drink and it was only the first night of the summit.

She cried softly. It was midnight and she had no idea if any car shops were open right now. She knew nothing about Santa Praiser and their business times.

After taking a few minutes to herself, stepping out of the car, and checking the tire, Mya called the first number that popped up on the internet for roadside assistance.

"Hello?"

"Hi yes, my tire is completely flat. I need a tow to the nearest mechanic here? Maybe? I'm not from here."

"Yes, completely flat."

"Where am I? Um ..." Mya's eyes darted to the street name next to the traffic lights. "The corner of Colt and Johnson."

"It's a white Jaguar."

"Thank you so much."

Mya wiped her eyes, getting back into her car and sighing heavily. She couldn't wait to get herself a drink.

What a pain in the ass.

Soon the questionable tow truck came around to hook her car up. The man was heavyset and sweating profusely. His white trucker hat was blotted with sweat stains and so was his white tank top. His dingy blue jeans were extra baggy, almost covering his steel-toed boots.

He was slightly scruffy, his light brown hair a little shaggy at an awkward length.

Mya didn't like to judge people. She did her best to refrain from the ugly habit just because she's gone through so much of it. It wasn't a nice thing to do and the man obviously worked up a sweat to come get her car, alone. He hooked up her car himself, checking out the deflated tire.

Despite his stench, she was pleased and that was enough. She accompanied the man in the truck — he offered her a ride to a shop he worked at close by that was still open. Getting in a tow truck with a random stranger wasn't exactly a bright idea, but she had no choice.

She was always prepared to rip off her heel and stab someone with it if it came down to it. She felt that her night couldn't get any worse so why not?

"How long you had the car?" The man asked. His voice riddled with an accent Mya couldn't quite place.

"1 year," She answered.

"And you used the spare already?"

She nodded, "I ... have a horrible rep with tires."

"Ah, that's okay. Sure is a pain in the ass though. We'll patch er' right up at the shop."

"Um, what shop exactly?"

"Mike's Mechanics. Just fifteen minutes from where we were. We're open 24/7 and do everything you could possibly imagine includin' roadside assistance."

"Ah. Thank you again," She said softly. "I've ... had a long night."

"Coming from that er, whatchu' ma'call it, summit? Summit, right?"

Mya nodded, "Yes. It really is a big thing, huh?"

The man smiled, "Nothin' major ever happens here in ole' Praiser. So something like a summit comin' round, word gets spread fast."

"Interesting," Mya replied.

The conversation ended right there, Mya becoming distracted with the night time scenery of Santa Prasier's local town.

Before she knew it, they were at the shop. The man pulled in around back, all of the garage doors open with other cars parked along the sidelines.

It was a typical auto repair shop, with huge car lifts, machinery, and tools everywhere. Mya got out of the truck, the man jumping out afterward and walking through the place, disappearing somewhere in the back.

Mya looked around, her surroundings out of her taste. She could smell all of the grime and oils inside. She silently stepped forward, trying to be cautious of the gigantic lift that currently had a car hoisted in the air.

It was quiet. Too quiet. Mya was getting ready to call out, for someone, anyone, until the heavy man came into view again.

"Boss will be right with ya' to discuss how you want your tire handled. I'm gonna need the keys, okay?"

"O-Oh, yes," Mya handed over the keys. "Um, do I just stand here or—"

He tipped his hat, "Yes ma'am just wait right here. Just stay away from the lift, we're not supposed to have anyone back here by law, but J.T. will be out in a moment."

"Okay," She almost whispered as he went around her and headed for the tow truck.

Mya sighed, looking around again. The walls were a dirty white at best, the floor smooth, grey, and boring. She was surprised to see that there wasn't an entire crew here. More so because of the number of cars that seemed to need service.

Maybe they're already fixed.

She wondered if this place made good money. She assumed it did, considering it was apart of this local town. She looked over her shoulder to see the tow truck go a little further down, her car rolling on its back wheels behind it.

A slamming door made her head snap forward. She heard boots tapping harshly against the ground then — who she thought was going to be a man — a woman came around from the back.

Mya's eyes quickly scanned the mocha-skinned woman with dark brown eyes and short jet black hair that looked extremely silky while thick. She wore a white tank top two sizes too small, revealing a ripped midriff that could bring Mya to her knees. Her face was pleasantly flawless, not a single blemish on the even skin.

In fact, the woman's body seemed toned all around — which should've been a no brainer considering she was clearly a mechanic herself. Both of the woman's biceps had thick black tattoo's of a band around them. It made her look slightly tribal.

Her black jumpsuit was pealed down her body, the sleeves tied around the woman's hips, the rest of the jumper mimicking baggy pants.

Mya arched her eyebrow as the woman got closer, hands on her hips as she eyed Mya with a small smirk. Mya noticed the woman had dark marks of grime and dirt on certain places of her arms and stains on her white tank top.

"You're the one with the flat?" The mystery woman asked. Her voice silvery and confident. She was taller than Mya by a slight inch with her heels on. Mya couldn't stop staring as if she'd just seen a ghost. She cleared her throat and forced a reply.

"Yes ... um, are you ... J.T.?"

"Yeah. Were you expecting a dude?" J.T. smiled, revealing nice teeth and canines that were scarily sharp and strangely alluring. Her smile was picture-perfect — model perfect even. "Don't worry. It's my favorite trick to pull on new comers."

Wow, Mya thought. That's a smile that gets you into trouble.

J.T.'s smile also revealed a chin dimple, one Mya thought was super adorable. Mya shrugged, she was caught in her assumption and in the view. "I-I was. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, I'm not taking any offense, Mya Stone," J.T. said, her smile simmering back into a smirk.

"How'd you ..?"

"Your name tag," J.T. pointed. "Seems you're important."

"Excuse me?"

J.T. shook her head, clearly getting a kick out of the teasing. "You're clearly apart of that business convention with that outfit and car you're driving."

Mya knitted her eyebrows together, questioning whether or not J.T. was being a smart ass toward her. "Is that a bad thing?"

J.T. chuckled. "Not at all. Brings us business too ... as you can see."

Mya folded her arms, trying to calm herself down. The woman was obviously just messing around with her, even though Mya was in no mood for it anymore. She was finished with this night a long time ago and she wanted her tire fixed so she could go back to the hotel room, shower and sleep.

J.T. spoke again, quickly switching to mechanic mode. "So Marty told me you ran over a large and sharp piece of metal. Pretty straightforward puncture. We can patch it up of course. But patches only last a few months before they start to weaken and air leaks out all over again. You can get a brand new tire if you don't want to deal with that or you can get the patch. Since your tires are still brand new, you don't have to worry about replacing the other 3."

Typical mechanic's. Always trying to upsell. I can't blame her though. She's just doing her job.

Mya thought to herself for a moment. She could afford the new tire no problem, but she didn't want to stay any longer than she needed to.

But if the patch would only last a few months and cause a hassle later down the line ...

Mya sighed. "Honestly whatever is fastest. I just would like to head out and shower as soon as possible."

J.T. raised her eyebrow. "It's just me and Marty tonight. It'd probably take a little time either way."

A loud whirring noise made Mya turn around. It was the man, Marty, and her car being hoisted slowly in the air.

"Um ..." Mya muttered under her breath. Her thoughts momentarily on pause.

"I'll tell you what," J.T. said staring intently at Mya, who slowly brought her eyes back to the mechanic. "I'll do you a favor ... under one condition."

Mya raised her eyebrow in question. "A favor?"

"I put on a brand new high tier tire for free and you let me take you out for a drink tomorrow night."

Mya blinked, then blinked again. She had nothing to do tomorrow night, the summit tomorrow took place in the early afternoon, but — a new tire for free? or just the labor for free? Whichever way she spun it in her head, she didn't like the idea of not paying.

Mya shook her head. "What? No."

"No to the tire or no to the drinks ..?"

"To the free tire — I'll pay for it. It's fine. Really. I can afford it. I don't like the idea of free labor."

"And the drinks?" J.T. smirked, studying Mya closely.

"Oh, um—" Is she trying to hit on me? Is this even a good idea? I'm not ... maybe I shouldn't assume. Maybe she's just ... trying to be nice. "Sure?"

"Wow, I can take a hint you know," J.T. laughed beside herself. "I'll give you more time to think about it. People usually don't wait here so we have no real waiting area, but I'll tell Marty to bring a chair out for you so you can sit."

"Oh, thank you. Um ..."

Before Mya figured out what to say next, J.T. walked off, shouting at Marty to get a chair across the large space.

Mya's stomach turned lightly, surprisingly pleasant. She was confused by her own emotions and what just took place. She can't remember the last time she was hit on — then again it's not like she paid attention anymore — and by a woman? That was new.

Unless I've never noticed?

Mya had many experiences with men, both bad and good. Men were a difficult species, a difficulty that she was undeniably attracted to. Women never came into Mya's mind as a possibility. Maybe it had to do with the way she was raised along with the fact that she never looked at women any differently than her own self.

Women were attractive. Beautiful in all shapes and forms. Mya could say that confidently, but ... dating a woman? For some reason, she couldn't wrap her head around it. She knew it wasn't rocket science. It was normal for people to be attracted to the same gender or multiple, but she simply wasn't.

Is it possible after 28 years to suddenly be attracted to the same gender?

She thought about Tristan. What made him so different from liking a woman? Women were softer, more intimate, and in tune with their emotions, but that's all she knew besides the obvious differing components between their legs and overall biological structure.

A chair being rolled over in her direction brought her right back out of her head. It was Marty, the man huffing and puffing to himself as he yanked his pants up and walked back over to where the car was in the air, J.T. already standing under the defective tire, checking it out for herself.

Mya sat down in the chair, the cushion comforting her. She took a deep breath, relaxing as much as she could in a place where she obviously didn't belong. She felt like a voyeur, watching Marty and J.T. exchange words and tools.

Mya eyed the mysterious woman. She wondered what J.T. stood for. She questioned how she became the boss of a place like this. Mya knew most mechanics applied the unspoken rule of seniority. How long did this woman work here? How old was she? She couldn't be too far off from Mya looking like that.

She looked ... good. Too good. Mya's eyes devoured the woman's exposed abdominal area, her navel a perfect sunken divot. The natural earth tone of her skin ... she had to be Central American or maybe something ... Middle Eastern. Maybe.

J.T. was already working on the defective tire. Mya watched as the woman's arms flexed a little, her posture straight and sturdy. Her eyebrows knitted together in total concentration.

Mya found herself watching a little too closely, her mind now trailing off into a smog. She was captured by the strong woman. Finding herself questioning the entire situation more and more.

She cleared her throat, deciding that companionship during her week here may serve her some good. It's not like she'd be talking to her co-workers. This woman knew nothing about Mya, about her life nor her current struggle with her heartbreak. It'd be refreshing to talk to someone who didn't have any idea about her past.

When the job was finished, Mya could clearly see the sheen of sweat on J.T's neck and stomach. She watched as the darker woman grabbed a white towel and wiped her forehead along with her neck. The white short t-shirt clung to her upper body like glue now.

Mya quietly stood up as J.T. began to walk toward her. In the background, Mya noticed her car descending back down to the floor.

"You're free to go, Mya," J.T. flashed a crooked grin, baring her canines, one that looked nothing short of cocky and teasing. She swiftly pulled Mya's keys from her jumper pocket.

Mya gently took her keys back. "And how much will it be?"

J.T. answered smoothly. "You and a drink at my favorite bar."

Mya rolled her eyes playfully. "You're lucky I'm in need of a drink."

J.T.'s brown eyes twinkled, obviously satisfied with Mya's response. "You sound more confident in your answer now. Just a while ago I thought you were rejecting me. You almost hurt my feelings."

"I ... haven't made any new friends in a while," Mya said shyly. Almost feeling insecure about the sad truth she originally thought didn't bother her. "You'll have to forgive me."

J.T. shrugged. "All is forgiven."

"So, how much? Seriously this time."

"It's only 120," The woman answered. "A discount on the house, of course."

"Great. I'll just go over to my car and get my bag. Wait for me," Mya instructed the woman.

The taller woman shook her head with a small smile and responded. "I'll wait here."

Mya took a few steps backward, she found it hard to peel her eyes away from her. "Don't move." She was very serious about paying and didn't want J.T. to flee on purpose.

"I won't," J.T. reassured her. "Trust me, the view is better over here."

Mya raised her eyebrow in subtle interest. She fully turned around now, walking the long path to her car. Marty was nowhere to be found and she felt eyes on her back the entire way there.

She unlocked her car, not even bothering to look at the new tire. She grabbed her bag that sat in the passenger seat, quickly fishing out her wallet for cash.

Mya pulled a crisp one hundred dollar bill from her wallet and 2 twenties, quickly shoving the small clutch back into her purse and slamming her car door. She didn't know why she suddenly felt so anxious and why there was suddenly so much pep in her step as her heels clicked against the floor.

J.T. was no longer looking at her, instead, she was gazing outside. Her dark brown eyes caught in a daydream of some sort. It's almost as if she sensed the woman was near, quickly snapping back to Mya.

"Um, here's 140," Mya offered the bills. J.T. quickly scanned it, shaking her head in disapproval.

"It's just 120," J.T. said softly.

"Tip," Mya shrugged. "I always tip."

Both girls shared a quiet moment, Mya waiting for J.T. to take the money.

J.T. eventually gives in, grazing over Mya's fingers although the slightest bit hesitant, which Mya quickly notices — it was only for a split moment.

"Thank you," J.T. muttered. "You ... don't have to tip by the way. This is my job."

"That doesn't mean people can't appreciate you for doing it."

J.T. just stood there, rendered silent, studying Mya's face momentarily.

"I ... guess this is goodnight," Mya said, breaking the silence.

J.T. shoved the money in her pocket, her tone as playful as can be. "Are you running away without giving me your number?"

Skeptical at first, Mya weighed out the possibilities of giving her number to a complete stranger. A lot of things were attached to those numbers. A lot of information could be found out if given to the wrong person.

Mya decided not to give away her number. Not yet. J.T. had to prove she was worthy of it. She didn't even know the woman's real name yet.

"Just give me a time and the name of the place. I'll be there," Mya said confidently.

J.T. chuckled. "You're not very good at making friends."

Mya smiled. "So I've been told."

"Jewel Club. 11 PM. Happy hour," J.T. said.

"Jewel Club," Mya repeated quietly to herself. "I'll be there."

"Can't wait to see if the important lady shows up," J.T. teased lightly. "Hopefully she doesn't have any more important things to do."

"Guess we'll see," Mya shot back. And that was the end of their conversation for the night.

Mya drove all the way back to the hotel with her new tire in place, her mind going over all of the events of the day. It started off strange and perplexing — meeting her idol then being next to Tristan all night to getting a new tire and being asked out for drinks by a woman she didn't know. An attractive one at that.

She'd be lying if she said she couldn't wait to have a few drinks tomorrow night with someone new. Her friends would be so proud of her right now if she told them she was probably going to make a new friend for the week.

Mya quickly stripped, her dress hitting the tile floor of the hotel bathroom, turning on the shower, and preparing herself to play the waiting game until 11 PM later tomorrow.

This should be interesting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 125 25
(18+) Santa Claus is due for a nurse. Flying a certain human by the name of Lani Salvatore to the North Pole to better his health. He relies on the...
153K 7.2K 37
Ginny is a Graduating Senior in College, majoring in Crime Investigation in X University. During her last year, there's been a sudden change. a new t...
133K 3.4K 51
β€’ highest rating β€’ #7 in wlw #1 in sapphic #3 in bisexual "Eden- you're not getting my point." She moved closer and glanced to my lips, she gulped an...
38.1K 2.4K 39
An angry senior grieving the absence of a best friend navigates a blended family and finds hope in first love. Kareena hates everything. Freya is lo...