Storia: Short Stories

By ElaraLumina

These are some short stories I thought of while writing the main books. Note that there will be spoilers sinc... More

Author's Note
Figuring Out Love
Wings (Short Special)
Wolves' Howl
Dahlia

Little Girl

3 0 0
By ElaraLumina

I slipped away from the crowd and inserted the three inch long golden key into a nearby hedge. A moment later, the leaves that the key had touched glowed gold and I touched that section with my other hand. This is where the fun begins.

In a blink of an eye, I was transported to a small garden, not too fancy, just a lawn filled with a small flower and vegetable garden, a strawberry bush, a marble birdbath I found inside my family's garage. The whole garden was surrounded by thick hedges and that didn't have a single opening. And in the center of it all is a stone fountain. It wasn't flashy or big, in fact, it was twice my size and doesn't splash water everywhere, which is great since it doesn't get my drawing book and pencils wet.

It was a quiet night and the stars twinkled up above. I sat down at the base of the fountain and took in the cool night air. My fingers crept to the golden circlet clasped around my left ear. For all I knew, mom had left it with dad just before she left for a business trip. Dad had given it to me, as a reminder that mom will always come back.

Of course, I couldn't draw while it's dark. Dad had never allowed me to do that. Instead, I'd take the time to admire my surroundings.

People often made fun of me for being too sentimental and philosophical, but dad had always told me to not listen to them.

Fireflies and moths had decided to pay a visit. The moon didn't hesitate to show its light and the clouds took turns tonight and let the stars dominate the night.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I nodded. "Nature is such at peace."

The girl nodded. "Look, Love, when you meet the world, don't ever let it control you or shut your light."

I nodded. " I understand."

"Never make the same mistake I do," she said. " I'll try my best," I replied. The girl chuckled before ruffling my auburn hair. "Atta girl. Don't stay here too late, you don't want to worry your father. "

I laughed. "He trusts me and I trust him," I said. Her hand stopped all of a sudden." Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. Stay safe, Love," the girl said before getting up and walking towards the hedges.

"You sure you don't want me to take you home?"

"No, it's okay, Alpha. I'll be fine," I said, "by the way, your Chinese accent is fading."

Alpha laughed. "First of all, I asked you to call me 'Chia'. And I guess I've been hanging out with people who have different accents," she said.

"'Chia' is your code name. You've rubbed onto it, haven't you?" I asked her.

"Definitely. Pack up your things, I'm taking you home," Alpha said. "Why? I thought you said I can stay here longer," I asked, hopping off the fountain.

Alpha had a distant look in her eyes. "The magic here isn't as stable as when you first received the key. Come on. We don't want you in any trouble," Alpha said and I followed her to a nearby bush.

"Come here," Chia said holding out her hand. I accepted it without hesitance and she led me past the hedge. Chia and a few other people can access the park with just their specially trained abilities. Chia had promised to teach me when I'm a bit older.

We passed through the hedges and I closed my eyes.

***

"Earth to Leilani," Penny Walter, waved her hand in front of my face. "Sorry, did you say something?" I asked.

Penny looked at me. "No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did. Technology, definitely."

Penny laughed. "Say, what happened to Mary?" she asked. "I'm honestly not so sure. She told me that it's something to do with Chia, but I'm not sure," I told her.

"Hey," Tony Racer sat at our table with a sandwich.

I raised my eyebrows. "Ham and cheese. Bread toasted, but the toppings are not," I noted.

"I see someone aced their observation test," Tony said and Penny laughed. "Definitely," I replied, "you have news about the anxiousness in the air?"

"Yes, I successfully ha- slipped through the system and found out a few things that is stressing our beloved Chia."

"Alpha Richi."

"Yes, and turns out that she has a new protégé who is currently undergoing some special issues," Tony said.

"What kind of issues?" I asked.

Tony and I locked eyes. His brown eyes were more serious than usual. "Snapdragon."

I couldn't hide the surprise on my face. "And I'm guessing Richi is going to call me up soon," I said.

"Right on time, she's on her way right here," Penny said getting up.

"Hey, where are you going, Tech Girl?" Tony asked.

Penny turned around to face him. "You know, Tech Girl business. New magic, new technology. By the way, I'm betting twenty bucks that her new protégé is from Clastrin," I couldn't help but laugh at their exchange.

"Poker face, Lani, she's coming," Tony said, obviously annoyed.

"Hi, guys. I would just like to let you know that Tony, you can never, I mean never, hack into my data without me noticing and yes, Lani, you are coming with me to meet my new apprentice," Alpha said, her green eyes not showing a hint of falsehood or insincerity. I nodded my head in a 'well, things just landed' and followed Alpha to her office.

A girl with auburn hair green eyes was sitting on a chair in front of the desk. She looked about 10, maybe 11. From her attire, which was a black jacket over a white T-shirt, pencil jeans and black ankle high boots, I already made a hypothesis.

"Richi, who's the lucky guy?"

Alpha's face turned red. "She's not my daughter! I'm not even old enough to get married!"

"Who knows, things may work differently at Clastrin," I said, shrugging my shoulders, "is she your sister or some kind of relative?"

"Actually, I'm just a friend of Chia's," the girl said.

"And my next guess is that she has been spending way too much time with you," I said, pulling out a chair and taking a seat while Alpha sat on her desk chair.

"Statistically speaking, that is correct," the girl said.

I looked into the girl's green eyes and she stared back. Her gaze held sadness, but seriousness.

"Would you like to guess the details on why she's here?" Alpha asked.

I looked at her with a 'seriously?' expression before shifting my gaze back at the girl.

"Deception. Illusions. Slyness. Manipulation. Treachery," I said. Alpha's face morphed into a clash of confused and surprised. "Seriously, Lani? I thought you were better than that."

"I am. Introductory, love," I said and the girl shifted at the word 'love'.

"Oh, I hit something there, huh? 'Love', that's your trigger word, isn't it? Wondering how I knew that's your name, little girl?" I asked.

"Your eyes have gold in them," she noted.

"Richi, I like your apprentice, she's good," I said. "I know," Alpha said proudly.

"You want to tell me why I have gold in my eyes, little girl? How it's clashing yet blending with the rest of my purple irises?" I asked. The girl continued to stare at me, then smiled.

"Deception. Illusions. Slyness. Manipulation. Treachery."

"Of the mind," I added while returning her smile. "Yours, little one, is about love."

"Anastasia Love. You met her at that place you were always disappearing to. You said her mother left when she was young?" I guessed.

Alpha's eyes widened which was kinda a bad sign, kinda a good sign, you never know. "First of all, Lani, I don't think it's best if you talk about a childhood trauma to an eleven year old-"

"That's not exactly a childhood trauma-"

"And that I didn't know you stalked me."

"You literally talk about her at lunch."

"Also, for the record, if you end up writing about this conversation in the future, think of the kids reading," Alpha said.

Hilarious. As if I'd ever write this conversation.

Anastasia cleared her throat. "Chia has informed me that you will be giving me lessons on deception and observation," she said.

My eyes widened, then drifted to Alpha. "Girl, are you seriously asking me to teach an eleven year old assassination and spy?" I asked her. Alpha shrugged. "Beats me."

"Well, let's get going shall we," I said, opening the door.

"Hold up. Give us a moment, Love. Head over to the first training room. You know where it is," Alpha said and Anastasia nodded.

When she was out of earshot, I said, "What is wrong with you?!"

"Lani, you yourself started training at thirteen."

"Thirteen, Chia, thirteen."

"Trust me on this, Lani. But most of all, you have to teach her how to be human," Alpha said. My mouth twisted into a smile. "I've always thought you were a machine at times."

"Look, Lani, I don't know how to be a regular human. I'm trained from birth, I didn't get a regular life, but you got thirteen years. I need your help. Anastasia deserves to live," Alpha said.

I nodded. "I'll try my best. But Penny is the most human out of all of us."

"She's the most childish from all of us, Lani. Now go, she's waiting," Alpha said. "Don't blame me if she gets traumatized," I said leaving the room.

***

"Chia taught me basic combat with a sword and a staff. She also taught me martial arts and breathing techniques," Anastasia said.

"Ana, you're a shapeshifter too, aren't you?" I asked as I closed the door of the training room.

"Yes."

"That explains it. Our eye colors aren't supposed to be the first thing people notice when they first look at you. Your eyes are naturally pink, but I'm guessing there's a side effect to that natural color? It happens when one's magic powers are powerful from birth," I explained.

Anastasia took a shaky breath. "Mixed emotions. Manipulation. Immaturity," she replied.

Oh by the Goddess of Storia, what has Richi been teaching her.

"And you hide those emotions deep down?" I asked, walking in front of her. "I can't show those emotions in training. They are distracting," she replied.

I took a few steps closer to the girl. Even though she was a year younger than when I had started training, her mental age was about that of an eight year old girl.

"Your dad is from a place that has a completely different accent than the one you're talking with. Must be hinting something," I said.

"Look, are you here to teach me or are you here to lecture me?" Anastasia asked.

Strike that. Her mental age was that of a fourteen year old. I should know, because I was a fourteen year old girl once.

"Alright, alright. If you want to talk with our fists, we'll talk with our fists," I said squaring up. Anastasia didn't square up or got into position and I realized what she was doing.

"Oh, honey. In a one on one combat with not much distance, that stance won't work," I told her, "you know for a fact I can read your movements to the tiniest detail."

Anastasia's expression didn't change one bit, but she finally decided to square up and follow my stance.

Oh this just got much more interesting.

Anastasia threw a punch, which I easily blocked. She tried to land a hit on me, using her fist, her arms, her feet, but she missed one step of assassination and spy.

In no time at all, Anastasia was already panting and I haven't even broke a sweat.

"Spy-slash-assassination lesson number one. Stop and observe. Know your enemies' movements before proceeding," I said, then faked a punch to which she bought and tried to dodge it, but I bent low and tackled her.

"Spy-slash-assassination lesson number two. Be prepared for anything, expect the unexpected," I said.

Anastasia got up instantly and wiped the sweat from her forehead before charging again and trying to land a hit on me.

"Spy-slash-assassination pro tip number one. Everyone and everything has their strengths and weaknesses which you can use to your advantage. Manipulate it, Love," I said and striking again.

Honestly, I felt bad about beating up the poor girl. But I had to. This is how I'm teaching her. It's the fastest, most efficient and memorable way to do it.

After quite some time, Anastasia was breathing heavily and struggled to get back up. "Down already? Didn't Chia teach you how to fight?" I asked.

"She had an attack pattern," Anastasia said between breaths.

I smiled. "Go on."

"Direct hit. Side hit. Feint hit or retreat. Hit," Anastasia said.

"Good. What else did you learn from that fifteen minute lesson?" I asked.

"Chink. In the armor," she said smiling slyly.

I raised an eyebrow, and I realized too late what she meant.

She threw a metal throwing star at my wrist which stunned me a bit, before she got up, feinted a tackle and almost kicked my face if it weren't for my other hand.

"Next time, secure victory before laughing," I said and kicked her on the ribs. She fell back and groaned.

"What else did you learn from that lesson?" I asked.

"Prepare for the unexpected."

"Correct, my dear, but unfortunately, that's not the answer I was looking for," I said and pointed at the golden circle on her left ear. I channelled a bit of magic onto the tip of my finger and lightly fired a weak laser beam that hit the earring, but it was enough.

Anastasia's eyes turned pink and she got up with renewed energy.

I knew that was the trigger. Oh, I'm such a genius at times.

I squared up and Anastasia attacked. This time, I will admit that I was surprised. She didn't have an exact attack pattern and she was looser than earlier. She kicked and feinted and blocked like me when I was fifteen. Truly impressive. But I can't give her satisfaction just yet.

I kicked her ribs with a heavy blow and she fell back, coughing and wheezing.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked and she breathed heavily before her glowing pink eyes turned chocolate.

"You almost got me there," I said helping her up. Anastasia just nodded.

"So, what did you learn?" I asked again.

"Unpredictability. Mistakes. Reflexes. Adaptation. Desire," she replied.

I clapped my hands and laughed happily. "Finally. You passed, my dear. You can go report to Chia on your progress," I told her.

"And also a backstory," Anastasia said.

I looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

"Someone taught you those things," she said, "you can't learn those things without a proper guide. If you had made a major mistake, I could've answered differently. I could've answered bloodshed, misery, and pain."

I bent down so that my eyes were on the same level as hers. There was something new to those pair of eyes. Something I hadn't seen before.

"Yes, I had a guide. And after a bit more training, you can become a guide for others as well," I said.

"What do you mean?" Anastasia asked.

"When I was younger, I had always questioned why my code name is 'Dahlia'," I started, walking towards the stone bleachers.

"Chia explained that it's because you represent change and creativity," Anastasia explained.

"Sure, change and creativity, yeah. Elegance, inner strength, why not. But dignity? Not so much," I said taking a bottle of water, then tossing it to Anastasia.

"I went through something similar. I lost something dear to me which I couldn't get back. Of course, I was crushed, but I also felt like I had to....evolve," I said taking another bottle of water for myself.

"What's that gotta do with dignity?" Anastasia asked.

"Good question. I needed respect and authority since I had a lot of ideas that could save and or benefit us. I had to share them, not keep them to myself, for the better of humanity," I explained.

"And the thing you lost?"

"I let it go. I think about it now and then, but I don't let that bother me anymore and that's how I'm focused," I turned to face Anastasia, "but you, Anastasia, is still clinging to something you long for."

"Closure," she said and I nodded. "With that in mind, go find it," I told her.

Anastasia took some time to fully digest what I had taught her. Sure, Ms. Thea, if you're reading this, I can never be as good as you. But you'd tell me that you can never be as good as me either. And you'd pat my head, ruffle my hair and say, "I'm proud of you, youngin."

"Thank you, Lani," Anastasia said.

"Take the rest of the day off from training and explore. There's a lot to see out there," I said and Anastasia nodded before running off.

I sighed. "Well, all in a day's work," I said turning to the person at the edge of the room.

"You know, for a girl who didn't really care about other people once, that's pretty great," Mary said. "Me? Not care for other people? Mary, you've got the wrong girl," I joked. Mary laughed. "Ms. Thea would be proud," she said.

I nodded. "Yeah. She already is. I just know it," I said.

"And you're sure she's gonna be okay? That barely hit an hour and you sent her off-"

"I'm definitely sure she'll be fine. Besides, the best way to learn is to go out there, isn't it?"

Mary laughed. "Come on. Let's get some ice cream," she said and we left the room.

Even as a human from Earth, I was the least humane compared to everyone else I've met. When I was trained in spy-slash-assassination, sorry, I mean stealth and traps, I almost had a bloodlust. But luckily, a wonderful tutor, no, the best tutor I've ever met, helped me get my life back together again. And once she has passed, I had vowed to continue her work and pass it on to future generations.

I hope one day Anastasia will too.

-Leilani Sparrow

Yes, this is also a project. 

And now it's currently almost 1am, probably when I publish this the clock has already turned o'clock, so I hope you enjoyed reading this, yes, I only wrote this in one night, so it's kinda choppy and probably has some plot holes, idk, I didn't exactly check.

And also, this story is the brainstorming activity for a world I had planned to write about since about a year or two ago, but never did because there were only two characters so far (both which weren't even mentioned in this story and 'Dahlia'). 

Anyways, thanks again!

-ElaraLumina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.1K 3.3K 46
A collection of short stories, oneshots, and slightly wacky uncanon ideas all about our favorite warlock and friends. Enjoy. (Also be prepared for ch...
111 56 22
This is my challenge to myself to get better and more consistent at writing daily. Rules I will upload a part to a story every day. Some stories wil...
93.8K 6.1K 16
ꜱʜᴏʀᴛ ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ ᴄᴏʟʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ I'm bringing a few stories with different plots and twists, which are short ones. Happy reading ♪
36 0 7
I want to tell the world how much I adore him. - Greetings to all amazing readers <3 Do you like short stories? This book is a collection of short...