𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓...

By bellasweetwriting

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 | ❝caught him singing in his room a song for you❞ ❝how are you so sure?❞ ❝becau... More

prologue
characters
one
two
three
four
five
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
epilogue
pop culture, fun facts and final note
THE HUNTER SERIES

six

5K 161 454
By bellasweetwriting

i love reading ur comments pls comment more

S I X

Remember all the things you and I did first?
And now you are doing them with her

       PEYTON WAS STARING ANGRILY AT HER WINDOW. Luke was in his bedroom, talking in the phone with her window closed, so she couldn't hear what he was saying. That made her so upset.

She grabbed the landline phone that her mom put on her room when she was little so she could hear what she was talking about with her friends and called Alex. Peyton's cellphone was charging and she knew she was going to talk for a while and her phone could die in middle conversation.

"Who's this?" Said Alex on the other side.

"It's me, Peyton. I'm calling from the landline. My phone's dead," let her know the girl, laying on the bed. "Do you know who is Luke talking to? He's been on the phone for like five hours and we were supposed to hang out after school. And no hanging out has happened, let me tell you."

"Why would I know? I'm not his secretary." A silence filled the call before he interrupted. "He's talking to Carrie."

"Oh my God! Isn't he tired of talking to that Regina George wannabe? What is there for them to talk about? Luke only talks about guitars and Carrie only knows about make up."

"Why are you calling me for this, Peyton?" Said the blond tiredly.

"So he knows I also have friends besides him," she walked around holding the landline phone. "And that I'm cool and talk through landline phones too like in those movies he watches."

"Oh my God, you are jealous!"

"What!? No!"

"You like Luke!"

"I don't like Luke, I've never... I don't like him! He is my best friend."

"You are so in love—"

"I'm gonna hung up dramatically if you keep saying that. It's the only good thing about landline phones." She could hear Alex as he laughed. "Alex!"

"You so like him, oh my God! You have to tell him."

"I don't like him!"

"Peyton and Luke sitting in a tree," he started to sing.

"Ugh! Would you just come over and hang out!? I'm bored."

"I can't, I'm with Willie right now. Why don't you go to  the mall and get a date or something," he suggested and she could hear Willie laughing in the background.

"Would you tell Willie to stop mocking me?" She asked him.

"She says to stop mocking her," told Alex to his boyfriend before putting again the phone in his ear. "Why don't you call Reggie?"

"He's at the beach with Ella."

"Julie?"

"Freaking out about her musical program audition."

"Flynn?"

"Grounded because of the parties till sunrise last weekend, remember? That she didn't call her mom and then arrived the next morning?"

"Right, I remember," said Alex. "Well you can't come here, so you'll have to stay in your room. Draw something. Hey, aren't you supposed to practice to get your driver's license?"

"I failed the first three times, remember? And Luke was supposed to help me."

She heard Alex sigh on the other line.

"Then study."

"We've been to school just for three days there's nothing to study for," she recalled, making him sigh again. "You know what, Alex? I'm gonna go to the Boulevard and get a date."

"That is a great idea! Get out of the house, walk a little, wear something nice! Just please... do something."

"I will! Thanks Alex!" And with that, she hang up the phone, grabbing her bag and walking outside her room.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

When Alex and Willie arrived to the mall, it wasn't hard for them to find where Peyton was.

The girl was at the crepes cafe, staring at the man doing the crepes on the machine which she find extremely satisfying. She was looking at it with so much concentration behind the glass that it surprised the boyfriends.

"Hey..." said Alex to her, noticing how she didn't look happy. "How long have you've been here staring at this guy making crepes?"

"An hour," replied the girl behind the register, making Peyton sigh.

"It's just so nice, it makes me happy," she replied shyly while Alex and Willie hugged her. "I tried to get a date, but I think my miserable vibes scare them away."

Willie looked at the crepes. "You want one?"

"I don't like crepes, I just like how they make them."

"Oh, God, please get her out!" Yelled the girl behind the register. Alex and Willie nodded, pulling Peyton away from the Cafe Crepe.

The three walked on the sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard, noticing the tourists taking pictures outside the Orpheum sign, and with the stars of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"Why are you so sad about the whole Luke thing?" Asked Willie to her as they walked.

"I don't know, I'm just so used to hanging out with him and now he barely has time to even talk through our windows. We are neighbors, he can literally jump from his window to mine easily and yet still he doesn't have time. It takes him five seconds to visit me."

"What would he do when you were in a relationship?" Asked her Willie.

"Hang out with the band, I guess. He is much closer with you guys than I am." She sighed. "I feel stupid. I just spent and hour seeing a guy making crepes and I don't like crepes."

"Yeah, I really don't understand that."

"It's just so satisfying," she repeated, looking defeated. "I never even imagined Luke with a girlfriend, less Luke actually going on dates. He's always there when I need him, just have to throw a rock at his window and he is there in less than a second, available to talk to me. I don't want to lose that. He even canceled our plans on Friday."

Alex stopped walking, making Peyton and Willie stop too and look at him.

"You need to grow up, Peyton."

"Excuse me?"

"For what I hear, you played with his feelings your entire life. I've never seen anyone care so much about someone like Luke cares about you, and you need to start doing the same for him. He's always the one who's ready to talk to you whenever you find it convenient. He didn't ask anyone to junior prom just in case you needed a date! He was class vice president on sophomore year because you wanted to be president, and we had to hear him complain about how much he hated every second of it, and we wanted him to quit but he didn't because you needed him. He's always there for you, and you got used to it, you got spoiled. You need to grow up and see that it's not the same kind of treatment."

"I support Luke in everything he does."

"Not like he supports you! He likes you, Peyton! A lot! I have never seen him look at someone the way he looks at you, and you don't even notice it. And now he's moved on, and I'm happy for him! It took him like twelve years but he finally moved on from you, and you have to let him. Because now I notice that you don't like him the way he likes you! You just like having him rescue you every time. Grow up Peyton!" He grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her as she looked at him with her eyes wide open. "You need to let him fly! Let him fly!"

"What? Fly?" She asked.

"You understand what I'm saying. Let him go."

"Let him go... I can do that..."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Luke and Carrie were sitting in silence, looking at the other.

"I can't do this anymore," said the girl, and he raised her eyebrows. "Do you feel something?"

Luke stared at her for a few seconds, analyzing her from head to toe. After a moment in silence, he replied.

"Nothing," he admitted.

"Me neither!"

"It's like, I find you attractive—"

"I find you attractive too!"

"But— I don't feel nothing! I like talking to you and all, but for the rest..."

"Nothing, I get it. I like talking to you too. Maybe I'm not over Nick."

"And I'm clearly not over Peyton," he admitted.

Carrie raised her eyebrows, placing her elbows on the table and looking at him.

"You like Peyton? Since when?"

"Uhm, I don't, maybe... for twelve years, probably." Carrie laughed, and he laughed too. "Look, Carrie, you are incredibly pretty—"

"Oh, please, you are making me blush—"

"—but I simply can't get over Peyton, you know? She's... amazing and, beautiful, smart, talented... and I thought that by going out with someone I will forget about her but I just can't."

"By how you talk to her and the fact that you've liked her since you were what? Five?" He chuckled, covering his face with his hand in embarrassment. "You clearly are not going to get over her soon, and less with someone else!"

"But I like talking to you!" He exclaimed.

"I like talking to you, too, Luke, but simply... we don't click."

"We should be friends."

"We should, even though your friends hate me."

Luke bit his lip before nodding slowly, making Carrie laugh.

"Can we still hang out Friday? I already cancelled my plans with Peyton and I don't think I could bare to watch It's a Wonderful Life with her without falling in love all over again."

"Don't blame you, such a romantic movie. When George and Mary sing Buffalo Gals won't you come out tonight even makes me want to be in love and sing under the moon."

Luke opened his eyes. "You've seen It's a Wonderful Life?"

"It's like my favorite movie."

Luke stared at her for a few seconds, but shook his head.

"Still nothing." Carrie nodded, closing her eyes. "You want to go watch it on Friday?"

"Uhm, yes. I've been insisting Nick to go but he doesn't like black and white films."

"What an idiot." Carrie laughed.

"A cute idiot... that I can't move on from. He likes someone else though."

"Who?"

Carrie stared at her drink for a few seconds before looking at Luke.

"Julie," she whispered, making Luke burst out laughing.

"He likes Julie!?" Carrie nodded. "Wow... the good news is that Julie won't even tell him the time." Carrie laughed. "You still have a chance."

"And you too. Come on, Peyton and you are like... the perfect couple."

Luke laughed at that, more that he should've, he thought.

"Only in my dreams."

He stared eating his food, and Carrie stole a fry from him, but he didn't notice. He was so used to Peyton and him stealing each other's food that he didn't bother.

And like that, Peyton was again in his mind.

She didn't like him, when is he going to understand that? It was a one sided love that he didn't want to be part of.

"I just feel sometimes like Alex from Love, Rosie," he said as Carrie looked at him. "He's so in love with Rosie even though she doesn't like him like that."

"Yeah, I understand. Sometimes I feel like Dean from Gilmore Girls. Have you seen that show?"

"Only show with enough pop culture references for me to enjoy." Carrie nodded.

"Well... Dean was in love with Rory and tried to keep her with him even though he knew Rory was in love with Jess. And you've seen the show! Dean is the worst character! Everyone likes Jess and Rory, they are meant to be!"

"I understand completely what you are saying," he replied, drinking from his milkshake. "We are the other guy!"

"We are the other guy! We are Jacob!"

"We are Dean! We are Sam from It's a Wonderful Life."

"Mary didn't even look at him, she only had eyes for George even though she knew Sam was completely in love with her. Even though she knew Sam was the best choice." Luke nodded.

"Sam was a millionaire! Mary's mom loved him. Yet... she picked George."

"She picked George," Carrie repeated. "We are Snape..."

"Yeah... I am Snape, watching my childhood best friend and crush Lily end up with stupid James."

"Stupid James," mumbled to herself Carrie.

"Stupid James," he repeated in the same tone, with hate.

They both drank aggressively from their milkshakes. For the first time, he felt like someone understood what he was feeling.

"You and I," he started saying, and she nodded, "are going to be good friends."

"Yes, we will be." She demanded. "Buffalo gals won't come out tonight..." she started to sing and he smiled.

"Won't come out tonight," he joined her. "Buffalo gals won't come out tonight..."

"Won't come out tonight!" Both laughed, trying not to cry. "God, why didn't we became friends sooner?"

"Where have you've been for the last seventeen years?"

"Probably pining over Peyton." Carrie closed her eyes, laughing with him. "Shit, look at the time. I have band rehearsal."

"Oh shoot," she whispered.

"You can come," he said to her, standing up and leaving the money for the check. "Alex brings Willie every time and Reggie is for sure bringing Ella. Besides, we are having a great time."

"Sure your friends would be okay with it? Since Julie and I stopped being friends, we haven't had the best relationship. I think we can't even tolerate being in the same group."

"It doesn't matter, I want you to be there. You are the only one that it's not forcing me to tell Peyton how I feel even though I know I'm not ready."

Carrie nodded, both walking away from the diner towards Luke's truck.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Sorry I'm late," excused himself Luke as Carrie and him enter the garage. "My truck broke down mid-road."

"I could've helped him push but Superman over here insisted on doing it alone," added Carrie, making the guitarist chuckle.

Luke glanced over at the coach, not expecting Peyton being there next to Willie and Ella.

"Oh, hey, Peyton," he greeted her before looking at Carrie. "You can sit over there."

Carrie nodded, sitting next to Willie, who looked at her with a tiny smile.

Luke walked towards the guys, who stared at him in confusion.

"What?" He whispered. "You guys look like the people in the ballroom when Richard Kimble interrupted."

"You brought Carrie?" Mumbled Reggie to him and he shrugged.

"So what?" He replied in the same tone, taking his guitar out of its case and putting the strap around his neck and under his right arm. "I was hanging out with her in the mall and offered her to watch the rehearsal. You guys do the same."

"Luke, there's something you need to know. I was with Peyton today and—"

"Can we talk about this later?" He asked Alex. "I don't feel like chatting about her right now, okay? Wonder on three."

Luke walked towards his mic.

"One, two, three," he said and they started to play.

Peyton's eyes were focused on Carrie, who was looking at Luke with a smile.

She couldn't believe he brought her at the rehearsal. He has never brought a girl to band rehearsal that isn't her. It upset her, but as Alex said... he needed to let him go.

"No, no, no," Luke said as he stopped singing, making the other guys stop too. "Alex you are entering late to the chorus."

"What are you talking about? You are the one singing early!"

"Just follow me, I'm the lead." Luke turned around. "Jerk," he said between coughs, making Alex raise his eyebrows.

"What did you just say to me?"

"I said nothing..." Luke glanced around the room before leaning towards the microphone. "Jerk."

"That's it! I'm going to kick your ass, Patterson!" Yelled Alex as he stood up, making Luke open his eyes and protect himself by pointing his guitar at him. But Alex was ready to get him. "Say it again, chicken!"

"Jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk!" He started repeating as he jumped onto the couch, standing between Willie and Carrie while still pointing his guitar at Alex. "Alex is a jerk, Alex is a jerk," he started to sing while Reggie tried to hold Alex before he killed him.

That's when Julie entered the garage holding her copy of The Old Man and The Sea under her arm, looking at the scene.

Alex and Luke almost killing each other and Reggie in the middle, as always. And the rest not knowing what to do.

With that, Julie put her fingers under her tongue and whistled loudly, making everyone look at her.

"Guys, stop it now!"

With that, Luke got off the couch and Reggie let go of Alex, the three of them standing in line looking at Julie.

"He started it!" Exclaimed Alex.

"Just because he wouldn't enter on time!"

"He called me a jerk!"

"Stop it!" Julie yelled again.

"Yes, boss," mumbled both of them.

"What's going on?" Asked Carrie to Willie.

"They are afraid of Julie," he replied.

Julie walked towards them with her boss look nailed down, looking at Alex and Luke seriously.

"Apologize."

"Sorry that you can't play on time," said Luke.

"Luke!"

"And for calling you a jerk."

"Sorry for chasing you down and trying to kill you."

"Apology accepted."

Both shook hands and walked towards their positions again, acting like it never happened.

"You should join the band," said Carrie to Julie, making her raise her eyebrows.

"I don't get the joke."

"It's not a joke, you should join the band. Or you can't? Because I understand if you can't."

Julie scoffed. "Of course I can!" She looked at the guys. "Why would you say I can't!? I would be incredible in the band!"

"Are you sure?" Asked Carrie to her, making everyone look at her with surprise.

"Yes, of course I'm sure, Carrie!" Julie glanced over to the boys. "I'm in!"

"Wait, are you serious?" Questioned Reggie.

"We've been asking you for at least six months," remembered her Luke."

"Well, your begging gave results. Where's the piano?" The three of them pointed at where the instrument was, and Julie walked over there totally serious of what she was doing.

Luke stared at Carrie as she whispered "You're welcome." He told her about how much the guys wanted Julie in the band and she knew that if he told Julie she couldn't do something, she would do it.

And that made Peyton really upset. She knew how much Luke wanted this and she tried for months to convince Julie with no results. And now Carrie succeeds with just one try?

She didn't like this at all.

POP CULTURE REFERENCES GUIDE

chapter six

"When George and Mary sing Buffalo Gals won't you come out tonight even makes me want to be in love and sing under the moon"
Carrie is talking about the scene of It's A Wonderful Life where George and Mary come back from the graduates dance after falling into the swimming pool. Both main characters sing under the bright moon this song, making it one of the most memorable scenes of the movie.

"I just feel like Alex from Love, Rosie"
In this particular mention of Sam Claflin's character, Luke refers to the first scenes of the movie after Alex kisses Rosie and she, without remembering the exact kiss, asks him to forget it. Luke relates with the character, since he is madly in love with his best friend yet doesn't share his feelings.

"Sometimes I feel like Dean from Gilmore Girls. Have you seen that show?" "Only show with enough pop culture references for me to enjoy."
"... he knew Rory was in love with Jess."
Dean Forester is Jared Padalecki's character in the famous teen drama series Gilmore Girls, which was Alexis Bledel's Rory Gilmore's first love and then dumped by Milo Ventimiglia's loved and famous character Jess Mariano.
Gilmore girls was a 2000s teen drama which tells the story of mother and daughter Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. The show is known for the constant pop culture references the Gilmore Girls give in every episode of the show.

"We are the other guy! We are Jacob!"
Carrie is referring to Jacob Black, Taylor Lautner's character in the Twilight Film Saga. He was known for being the part of the love triangle between main characters Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, constantly getting involved in their relationship.

"We are Sam from It's a Wonderful Life."
Sam Wainwright is Frank Albertson's character in Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life. He was in love with Donna Reed's character Mary, but she picked George over him.

"We are Snape..."
Severus Snape is Alan Rickman's character in the film adaptations of the Harry Potter saga. He was in love with his childhood best friend Lily Evans, but she chose the troubled and rebellious James Potter over him, both getting married and being the parents of Harry Potter.

"I could've helped him push but Superman over here insisted on doing it alone."
Superman is a famous DC Comics superhero. The reference is directly towards the 1978 film were Christopher Reeve's Superman rescues Margot Kidder's Lois Lane from getting trapped between a crack inside her car during an earthquake.

"You guys look like the people in the ballroom when Richard Kimble interrupted."
Luke is referring to the final scene of Harrison Ford's The Fugitive (1993). Richard Kimble is Harrison Ford's character, who is wrongly accused of murdering his wife and ends up getting away from his sentence, turning into a fugitive. In the end of the movie, he crashes the Chicago Hilton Hotel Ballroom  to accuse Doctor Charles Nichols for trying to kill him, instead, killing his wife. Luke makes mention of the people in the ballroom, which were astonished as they heard Kimble's accusation towards Nichols.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.2K 749 31
A story in which Julie Molina has a sister named Elli. Julie starts to see three ghosts from the band sunset curve and they soon become great friends...
39.2K 834 17
Reggie x OC [Season One Completed] hadley never felt like she belonged in the world. she always felt out of place in her skin. the only times she tru...
212K 5.8K 67
"always and forever." with content life with a boyfriend and a best friend anyone can ask for, what more could y/n need? if only her boyfriend would...
35.9K 661 23
you're best friends with flynn and julie, they've always been there for you especially through you losing your passion to sing and you've been there...