The 70th Hunger Games: A Litt...

De hannahhhhufflepuff

Have you ever wondered what occurred before the events of the 74th Hunger Games? Katniss has never been the m... Mai multe

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

222 9 3
De hannahhhhufflepuff

Dear Diary,

I didn't really find much time last night to write about the interviews, so I'm going to be doing that today.

After coming to my room and writing for a bit, I took some time to truly admire the artificial windows. If I focused close enough, I could almost smell the salty air back home. Almost.

Velerio knocks on my door about an hour later, and I hear his excited voice ring out "time to get ready for your interview!" I smile as I know I'm going to be seeing Burundi again, and I wonder what she's going to have me wearing for the interview, if I'll get to feel like a princess one last time.

Percy and I exit our rooms at the same time, looking at Velerio expectantly. He normally has some sort of advice for us whenever we do something pertaining to the capital. He does not disappoint:

"You two are cute. You're likable. Play on that. Make them like you. Hell, make them fall in love with you, in your case Annie. It's easy"Velerio advises, his hand on my shoulder with a small wink. I nod my head and make my way to the same room where I met Burundi before.

Dressed head to toe in a jumpsuit made out of some sort is sticky orange fiber, Burundi's outfit takes me by surprise. She sees the shock on my face, and laughs. "Don't worry sweetie, you won't be wearing anything like this. But, how does this look?"

She points towards a dress hanging right near the mirror. It was a light shade of blue, somewhat like the color of the sky on a sunny day. The dress had a rather deep neckline, one that would show off just the sides of my cleavage to the people of the capital. The dress had no sleeves but instead had one strap that went over my head and around my neck.

What I liked best about it though was the skirt. The actual dress had a rather short pencil skirt, the same shade of blue as the top of the dress. But the skirt had small pieces of silk that reached down to the floor and were all different shades of blue. I saw indigo, baby blue, sky blue, and so many other shades that I don't know the name of. "Oh Burundi, it's beautiful!" I exclaim.

She makes no haste in helping me get dressed into it, giving me a pair of blue heels that were—thankfully—lower than the ones for the tribute parade. After I'm dressed, she uses a hot iron of some sort to curl my hair, curling every section of hair except for my red bangs. She then lines my eye with a small black pencil, and puts a pink gloss on my lips.

"Burundi, this is amazing. You're so talented," I compliment as I do a slow twirl in the mirror. Without thinking, I hug her, something that I do at home without a thought. "I'm sorry, should I not have done that?" I ask her nervously, biting my lower lip.

"No no sweetheart it's totally fine! Now go out there and show them who you are! Don't worry about impressing some men." She gives me a small push and suddenly I'm waiting in line amongst the other tributes.

I see a sea of people behind me, and a short group in front of me. No matter what I think though, that first group is going to take hours to get to me.

The girl with the sparkly hair walks up to me, a big smile on her face. "District four, right? That dress is absolutely stunning! Have you trained before?" I shake my head no, but smile at her nonetheless.

"Yeah, I'm Annie, district four. Thank you. No, I haven't trained but I am a competitive swimmer back home. Your hair is absolutely stunning, is that makeup?" I question, glad to be striking up conversation with her.

"For not training, you're phenomenal! Cicero told me about your work with the knives. You're going to do great in the games," she flashes a big, white smile at me. "I'm Sparkle, from district one. And no, it's not makeup. I got my hair genetically altered to sparkle, in hopes that it would draw some capital support to me when I volunteered for my games," she flips her hair over her shoulder, laughing softly.

"It definitely caught my attention! You're absolutely gorgeous, and so is your hair," I compliment, looking over her body and looking at the tight, knee length, silver, sequined, dress she was wearing. "Your dress is so pretty too. You must have an amazing designer," I add.

"Yeah, he's fantastic. He's the reason I look like this great." Her humbleness shines through her, and although we're going in to the games where she will likely kill me, I can't help but wish this were another life, and we were friends. She looks to the front of the line, and we see on the small tv we have backstage that Caesar Flickerman has taken his seat. "I guess I should get going, I'm up first. It was great meeting you Annie!"

"You too, good luck!" We wave goodbye and I take my place in line, and she takes her place as well. She was really nice, and I can't imagine her actually volunteering and training for something as brutal as this. I hope that if it ever comes down to it, she's not the one to kill me.

While waiting for it to be our turn, Percy and I talk. About how he thinks Watter and the rest of the family feels, about how my family feels, about school and work and everything in between. I tell him about how I've been writing to deal with my emotions, and he taps his nose as if he's thinking. "Mention that in the interview, Annie!" he encourages me excitedly.

"Why?"

"I mean, it just makes you seem so humane and likable, I don't know how the capital won't like that!" I nod. Right. I have to mention that. Try and make them pity me. I can do that, if Finnick already did.

Finnick.

I feel bad, I'd ignored him all day after the situation in the common room. I decided I'll see if I can find him for dinner to talk, depending on how I feel after my interview.

Finally, after hours of trying to calm my breathing and focus on the interview at hand, Caesar Flickerman calls my name. "Annie Cresta!" I walk onto the stage with a large smile on my face and I wave excitedly at the citizens of the capital.

I brush off my skirt and then take a seat down next to him, crossing my ankles. I look at Caesar, his hair dyed a light grey and sparkled with small glittering flecks, like Sparkle's hair. That must be all the rage this year.

"So Annie, how are you liking it here in the capital?"

"Oh, well," I pause nervously, looking at the capital. Act natural. Make them like you. You can do it, Annie.

"I think you all are such hospitable hosts! The food is amazing, and everyone on my team is just so kind, especially my designer Burundi, who created this gorgeous dress," I motion to my dress, smiling brightly.

"I'm glad to hear you're liking the capital!" He grins.

"I've actually been here before, and I fell in love with it. My father owns a fishery back home, and one of the capital citizens absolutely loved it and had him cater a party," I beam, thinking back on those sweet memories, an innocent kid. "I instantly fell in love with all the colors, the music, and the happiness amongst all of the citizens," I gush.

Caesar grins, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Well, you fit right in here! But do you miss your life back in district four, Annie? Why don't you tell us about that,"

I swallow the lump in my throat, trying to answer about life back home without letting tears spill over. I knew he was trying to make me seem attractive to the capital, but now I'm about to cry on capital film.

"Oh, I miss it more than anything. I miss my little brother, Alex, and I miss my parents. I miss my friends and I miss school a lot. I was a competitive swimmer," the capital gasps, "so I miss having that outlet. I wish though that I just had more time. More time to give my family, to give everyone, a little more love."

"A little love. Isn't she just the sweetest?" Caesar asks the audience, placing his hand over his heart. They respond with a series of 'awes' and I think there! I've done it! They like me. Or pity me. Or... something.

"So Annie we've heard some rumors..." the audience gasps again, leaning closer as if this wasn't being broadcasted over television, as if Caesar was telling them secretly. "People have seen you and previous victor, Finnick O'dair, cuddling on a couch!" The crowd collectively gasps again, leaning closer to hear my answer.

I feel my cheeks getting red, and my face turning hot. I quickly look down at my feet, brushing some hair away from in front of my face. Who could have told them? Velerio? It wasn't really his business to tell...

Maybe he was doing it to help me?

"I think they're dying to know..." Caesar edges, and the capital all nods enthusiastically.

"Well, I'm not too sure of anything yet, I haven't really done too much talking with him. He was just comforting me because I was upset" the crowd awes "and I don't know, it can't really go anywhere if I'm going to die in the games anyways. But I've certainly been writing all about it in my journal!"

"Oooooo," Caesar says, raising his eyebrow at me. "A writer too! Such a sweet girl. I guess you'll just have to win, so we can see where all of this goes with our darling Mr. O'dair," he nods at the audience with a wide smile, causing them to burst into applause. Then he invites me to stand up, offering his hand to me. I take it, standing up carefully, so as to not trip over my dress.

"Annie Cresta, district four everyone!" I wave to the audience with a big smile, curtsying to them. As I walk off the stage, I almost trip on my dress, and I decide to pick up the bottom of my skirt so I don't do that. I give Percy a thumbs up, and let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Time to go get some food.

I board the elevator up to the fourth floor, and already see dinner set at the table. I glance around the table, trying to figure out what to eat. I see a pasta dish with some sort of pink sauce on it, and spinach on top. I take that, and a cup of coffee, because I'm gonna need a boost tonight.

Then, I set off on my adventure. Cautiously walking toward the mentors rooms, I look for some sort of indication of which room is Finnick's. When the rooms have no sort of name or identification, just numbers, I sigh. At that moment, Mags comes out of her room.

"Oh sweetheart, why were you over here? I was just about to go grab some dinner," she explains.

"I was uh, I was looking for Finnick. Is he around here somewhere?"

Mags nods, and draws me forward, knocking on the door of room three. "and just for the record, sweetheart," Mags whispers, pulling some grey hair away from her face so she could whisper in my ear. "I wouldn't get too hung up over what everyone else says. At the end of the day, it just depends on if you believe in yourself"

I nod, just as Finnick comes out of his room, dressed in a dark blue knit sweater, and some sort of cargo pants that are a tan color. "Hey, I think I owe you an apology Annie," he begins, motioning for me to come into his room. Food in hand, I walk in and place it down on the table next to his bed.

"I'm sure you were offended by Cero's words. In the past, I have been very flirtatious with other tributes, especially if they were your age, since I am so close in age to them. I never really meant any of it, at least, not until you. I'm naturally flirty, it's just a part of who I am, it's why I'm so attractive to the capital women," he explains, motioning for me to sit down on his bed with him. Oh god, where is this going?

"Okay..." I said softly, a hint of uncertainty in my voice, "um, where are we going with this? Because I don't, I mean, I'm going into the games, I don't want to have sex or anything..." I motion to the bed, biting my tongue inside of my mouth.

Finnick laughs for a second, but then his eyes knit together and he places his hand softly on my arm. "Oh no Annie, that wasn't what I meant to insinuate. I don't care about doing that, I have plenty of people lined up in the capital who would pay to have sex with me," I take a shaky breath. Is that supposed to make me feel better?

"What I mean to say is, well, make it out of those games, Annie. Because you and I, we have something here. And I'd like to explore that. But I need you to come back," he says, squeezing my arm.

I nod and open my arms, as if asking for a hug. Once again, he happily complies, holding me tightly in his arms. "I'll try my best, I don't really want to die either," I say, a small laugh escaping my throat, with a small amount of tears attached.

He pulls back from the hug, and laughing softly at me. Or... with me? I'm not sure "Annie, you have an infectious laugh," this makes me smile, my green eyes crinkling up as I talk to him.

He looks at my food on his dresser, and then holds his hand to his stomach. "Grab your food, let's go eat in the common room," I nod and take my pasta, walking to the common room sliding into the left side of large table. Finnick sits across from me.

We eat in almost silence, talking here and there about our lives in district four, my writing, his training, how he survived his games, and his initial shock at the fact that I'm a vegetarian. When we're done, he looks at me with a sad look in his eye, as if he knows I'm not coming back, even though he says he believes in me.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, concerned for him even though I was the one who was going to be dying soon. I guess he just had that effect on girls.

"I'm just sad we've had such little time together. I just wish we had more time," I nod in agreement with him, reaching across the table and squeezing his hand.

People start filing in, and soon we all crowd around the TV to see our training scores. Finnick and I get up, and I sit next to him on the couch. This time, no one says anything when his arms are wrapped protectively around me. They start off with district one, whose scores are relatively obvious.

Cicero Hemingway, with a score of 10.

Sparkle Dickinson, with a score of 10.

Gunner Wilde, with a score of 8.

Desdemona Poe, with a score of 10.

Those were the careers, with high scores and from the first two districts. Me and Percy were up next.

Percy Heltingrow, with a score of 6.

There were cheers all around, and Emilio ruffled his hair. "That's not too bad, Percy!"

Annie Cresta, with a score of 7.

I sigh. I was one of the oldest here, and my score was on the lower end. Despite my disappointment in myself, around me, they all clapped, and Mags even hugged me close to her. Velerio gave me a thumbs up from across the way. I guess it proves how being with these people for a while can make you bond with them.

There were few other tributes with remarkable scores, but the district six boy gets a 10, scoring higher than possible careerers. Marietta gets a 7, like me, and her partner gets a 5. We turn the television off after the district twelve tributes are scored, both receiving a 6.

"It's somewhat late, Percy and I need to sleep tonight before the games tomorrow..." I start, standing up from the couch.

They all nod, getting up and getting ready to go to their respective rooms. "Mind if I walk you to your room?" Finnick asks, his voice all uptight and proper, trying to lighten the mood with a joke.

"Not at all," I laugh, although I'm sure he could feel the nervousness behind it. He puts his hand on the small of my back, walking me toward my room. We walk in silence until we arrive at the door, where we both stop, uncertain.

"Goodnight Finnick," I say, my voice quiet.

"Goodnight Annie," I turn to him as I leave, offering one last smile, before my last day here, not in the games. He wraps his arms around me again, and I find myself relaxing into them. He was strong, and warm, and his sweater felt soft as anything. I felt like I could sit here for hours in his arms.

But I can't.

So instead, I went to bed.

And I woke up, much earlier, to all of the victors wishing us good luck. After a big breakfast, they all waved goodbye from the elevator. I catch Finnick's glance before we close the elevator, and I quickly ran out.

With a sudden dash of confidence, I ran up to him, and kissed him on the cheek. "Just a little love, to remember me by," I proclaim as I back up, my cheeks red. I don't know what came over me, what pushed my anxieties aside. Maybe it was the fact that I was going to die, that there would be no consequences if I was dead anyways. But I did it nonetheless.

With a smile on his face, Finnick presents me with a small, woven notebook and a pen attached. "A little love, to remember me by," he repeats. The elevator dings, and Velerio quickly pushes me into the elevator.

"Good luck!" I hear them shout, and I look to Percy nervously.

After getting out of the elevator, I meet the other female tributes and together we board a small, circular hovercraft. Inside the hovercraft, a tall, chubby man with white hair and blue eyes injects me with some sort of tracker. I involuntarily jerk, like I do every time they prick my finger for the reaping. I just hate needles.

"Not a fan of shots, I guess?" I look over and to my left I see Sparkle, a smile on her face and her hair shining, as always. How can she be so happy going into the games?

"Not at all," I force out a small, awkward laugh as I rub my arm. The rest of the hovercraft is in radio silence. And the girl next to me with dark skin and tight curly hair, I think from district six or seven, glares daggers at me. If looks could kill, I would be dead. Let's just hope she doesn't find me in the games.

When the hovercraft lands, I walk into a room and find Burundi. We automatically embrace, and I find comfort in the motherly hug I receive from her. Burundi makes haste in getting me into my outfit, claiming that we're already late. I apologize, and show her the hand woven book that Finnick gave me. She grins, showing me a large pocket on the side of my uniform. "To keep it safe," she informs me.

"And Annie, in the games, don't think too much about Finnick, whether you like him or not. Your survival is worth so much more than a pretty boy," she assures me, her hand squeezing mine softly.

I nod, and hug her tightly once more before getting into the capsul. "Thank you," I mouth to her as I put the pen and mini notebook into the pocket in my uniform.

60 seconds.

I try to calm my nerves, reminding myself that as soon as I got up there, I would look for Percy.

50 seconds.

The capsule starts rising up toward the arena. My heart is pounding out of my chest. It's getting hard to breathe. I didn't realize how small this was.

40 seconds.

I rise to the top. Very few tributes are here. I guess I was earlier than I thought.

30 seconds.

More are coming. Right next to me is the male from district two, Gunner. He looks at me, and I can't read the emotion on his face, but I notice that one of his eyes is a different color than the other.

20 seconds.

I still don't see Percy. Could he be towards the other side of the cornucopia? I'm on the right, with just enough leverage to see part of the left side. But I knew well enough not to lean and fall off pedestal before the timer went off.

10 seconds.

I found him. He just rose up. I wonder what took him so long. I pointed to the woods behind him, towards the large sycamore tree that stood near the center of the forrest, hoping he saw me.

6 seconds.

He did. He nodded.

3 seconds.

I see Sparkle's hair shining in the sunlight. She waves to me with a smile. What kind of smile was it? Does she still want to be my friend? Until what point? Until we're the last two, and she kills me?

The bell goes off, signaling the games have begun.

And I run to the forrest.

Thank you for listening,
Annie

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

649K 39.7K 104
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
679K 33.5K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
4.4K 183 9
From Queen Helen to Jill Pole, an aesthetic and a brief summary of the character, as seen though my eyes. Long Live The Narnian Women!
3M 74.1K 63
"ATHENA GREY, WAS FOURTEEN WHEN SHE WON HER GAMES.." "FOURTEEN? IS SHE DANGEROUS?" "EXTREMELY..SHE RAN INTO THE CORNUCOPIA AND TOOK OUT TEN...