The Minoan Rhapsody

By Al_R_Arce

Olympus had no foresight, clouded by the chaos created by their own. As they struggled from within, the Minoa... More

The Contest
Three Sisters
The Fall
The Sintians
The Olodon
Everything
Mosychlos
The Nekromanteion
Avaris
Lemnian Fire
Olympia
Spectators
The Zagreus Rite
The Strogula
Behemoths
The Fatherless
Poliochne
Giza
Respite
Ravaged
Daedalus
The Myrmerkes
Moudros Bay
Naukratis
Tailless Dog
Dealing with Gods
Rest easy. Rest well.
Myrina
The King
Olive Grove
A Slave and the Unborn
Rebuild and Protect
Black Hearts
Pentheus
The Market
Kekiru
The Kapeleia
Pasiphae
Three Conversations
Elderberries
Atal-s'en
A Promise
Whispering
No Pause
Five Days
Lampa
A Second Promise
A Message
Icarus
Lemnian Deeds
The Festival
The Return
The Keiftu
The Labyrinth
Epilogue

The Cretan Bulls

4 1 0
By Al_R_Arce

After leaving the company of the Council, Pasiphae and Minos walked along a garden that bordered the east side of the palace. Multi-colored orchids and anemones, poppies and irises gathered under chaste lilac trees.

"You've studied us," Minos said as he picked a pink gladiolus and offered it to Pasiphae.

She accepted the flower and enjoyed its perfume. "It was a long voyage to get here. It gave me plenty of time to get acquainted with the Keiftu. At least what others have written about them. It seemed sensible to get to know the people I'll be spending the rest of my life with."

"You'll find they are resistant when their ways are challenged. Despite our trading ways, we've lived in isolation."

"Which is a contradiction." She stopped in front of a mural depicting swallows kissing each other while hovering above a garden of lilies. "You surround yourself in beauty. You would think such endearment would nurture a more open society."

"Traditionally, we've gone beyond our shores to satisfy our own vanity. We take what we please yet let no one inside."

"But that is not how you envision your ruling. Is it?" She passed her fingers on one of the painted swallows.

"I'm not much for self-indulgence. I believe it to be a waste of effort. Is what we do what matters." He paused when a swallow flew to Pasiphae and perched on the same hand that was touching the painting. His eyebrows narrowed. "Hmm. What a coincidence."

"I'm sorry? She smiled at the bird and gave her the gladiolus she had. The swallow picked it up with its beak and flew off.

"The bird," said Minos. You touched the painted bird, and a real one came to you. What are the chances of that?"

She looked at Minos out of the corner of her eyes while giving him a sly grin. "Well," she kept on. "I think it is important to hold on to traditions. After all we are rooted in our culture and history. It provides identity. Yet it is equally important to embrace diversity. It enriches. And a little self-indulgence is good for the soul." She looked at Minos and gave him a racy smile.

"I would like to show you Khaptirus," said Minos. "Do you ride horses?"

She chuckled. "I'm royalty. Of course, I ride!"

He smiled and bent his elbow letting her put her hand under his arm. They continued their stroll late into the night.

#

Icarus and Iapyx were on horseback, guided by Kekiru. Each of them carried a shoulder bag. They were on a path well-travelled up a hill, more than a half-day travel west of Knossos. It was overcast and drizzling.

"I thought you'd forgotten about us," Icarus complained.

"We must all be accommodating. Everything revolves around King Minos," Kekiru replied.

"I wanted to ask you something for a while. Why do your women dress the way they do?" Icarus asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Their breasts! They expose their breasts shamelessly."

"Why should they be ashamed?" Kekiru asked confused.

Iapyx grinned. "Please forgive my brother," he told Kekiru. "He only knows Athens and Egypt. Your ways are strange to him."

"What are you talking about?" Icarus protested. "You've been to the same places I have."

"But you barely spend time with our father."

Icarus pressed his lips.

"back to your question. Iapyx continued. "It is normal for Keiftu women to expose their chest the way men do. It's their way of expressing equality with men. If men can be bare chested so can women."

"A woman's breasts are a gift from the Gods," Kekiru said. "By the way they dress and beautify themselves, they express their feminine pride."

"Well I don't see any men displaying their cocks for all to see," Icarus scoffed. "You ask me, they are also a gift from the Gods."

"Are you suggesting we be naked?" Kekiru countered. "Do you know what is like to have a sunburned cock?"

Iapyx chuckled as he watched Icarus blush.

"You're a virgin, aren't you?" Kekiru fed Icarus embarrassment.

"Of course, not!"

"Don't worry about it. Everyone starts that way." Kekiru pulled the reins, halting his horse. The Athenians followed his lead. He unmounted and tied the horse to a cypress tree that was on the side of the path. "Past those boulders on the right are the bulls. Change your clothes here."

The three took out white robes and hoods that covered them from head to toe. Not even their fingers were exposed.

"Tell me again why we have to wear these suffocating clothes?" Icarus asked.

"The Cretan Bulls can't see white," Kekiru explained. "You wear these clothes you become invisible to them. Now you must be careful not to get them dirty or torn. A glimpse of you and they will charge, ripping the flesh from you."

They walked around the boulders and down a gentle slope that led to flat grasslands and the herd of about two dozen grazing Cretan Bulls. They were massive, taller than any man. Their legs were long and slender. Elongated, broad heads supported massive curved horns that swung forward and inward. They were black or dark brown with a distinct white ell stripe running down the spine.

The three walked among the beasts who completely ignored them.

"Don't touch them, or they will get startled," Kekiru warned.

"They are colossal," Iapyx exclaimed.

"Are there any cows?" Icarus wondered.

"These are the offspring of one single, immortal bull, the first Cretan Bull. He mates with normal cows, who all die as the calves tear their way out of their mothers as they are born."

"So, who feeds them?" Iapyx asked.

"We do, with milk from other cows. When they become too big to handle, we bring them here."

Icarus extended his hand and passed it close to the side of one bull. He didn't touch it, but it was close enough for the beast to feel something.

The bull snorted, shook its head, and swished its tail. A couple of other bulls reacted to the warning.

"What are you doing?" Kekiru quickly asked. "That's enough. I don't feel like dying here today. Let's go." He led the Athenians up to the boulders, out of sight from the herd below.

"You just had to touch one," Iapyx complained to his brother as he took out his hood.

"I didn't touch it!"

"It doesn't matter. You saw them and that was the purpose of us coming here."

"Where is their father?" Iapyx asked as he put the white clothes back in his bag.

"I'm sorry who?" Kekiru asked.

"The first Cretan Bull. The immortal one," Iapyx clarified.

"He's all by himself by the west coast. Only the foolish or bravest come near it."

"How's their meat? Tasty?" Icarus asked.

"No," Kekiru scoffed. "These beasts are sacred. They are for our festivals. Keiftu, who've trained all their lives run towards the charging bulls and leap, twirling high in the air while evading them."

"That's stupid!" Icarus said. "Why would anyone do that?"

"We celebrate life in everything we do. The leapers are the ultimate expression of this celebration. They victoriously soar above death."

After drinking water out of goat skin bladders they carried, they mounted their horses.

"Icarus," Kekiru called. "What's your taste?"

"What do you mean?" The young Athenian frowned.

"Do you like women, men? Old or young? Or perhaps you'd like to explore something more, exotic?"

Iapyx smirked.

"What's it to you?" Icarus face began to blush once more.

"Easy, I'm not judging. I just need to know what to seek for you."

"Go easy on him first," Iapyx suggested. "Let him find his way."

"A variety plate for the young Athenian!" Kekiru smirked.

Icarus kicked his horse, trotting away from the conversation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

683 31 17
The Labyrinth is an ever changing maze, designed to make even the strongest minds go insane inside its walls. When Adelaide Beckett accidentally ente...
445K 9.2K 48
✅ completed 👌 The full moon slave with the unbreakable curse, Shall returns and the family will divert. Vengeance and hatred he shall seek to pay, O...
98.8K 1.8K 33
He was ridiculed. He was cursed. He was locked away. And then he was forgotten. Perseus the youngest son of Gaea was cursed by the gods and exiled to...
331 6 10
I give him an angry glare. "Another reason why I left Olympus is because I don't want to deal with you gods. So why don't you leave me alone and go a...