My Favorite Stranger

By smooonie

She's got the looks, the money, and the recognition, but she's missing one thing. On the outside, Mya Stone h... More

Author's Note
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
"Valentine's Day"

3

8.3K 385 118
By smooonie

Mya drove on the empty freeway, her thoughts running wild as she gripped her steering wheel in frustration. She's grateful for the little traffic. Santa Praiser was almost 6 hours away and she had to check into the hotel she booked for the week. In no shape or form did she went to be held up on the road any longer than she needed to be.

Her mind was still scattered from yesterday, her heart in more pieces than before. How everything unfolded was improbable. Completely unexpected and uncalled for.

Mya began thinking maybe she deserved a heads up before blindly walking into that trap, but she knew nothing could've prepared her for it. It was her home.

It was an indescribable pitiful feeling, seeing Tristan. He looked so good. He was clearly eating well, taking care of himself as he normally would. His glow was nothing short of radiant and one that was probably because of the healthy amount of sex he was most likely having — it just wasn't fair.

The last time she had sex, it was with him and it hadn't been nearly as good as the previous times. Their relationship was ripping from under her feet. She felt it in the way he thrust inside of her, lazy and forcing himself to finish.

The way he kissed her was turning her heart into stone. No emotion or passion in his mouth. His touches became questionable, searing with immense boredom. His erections for her didn't last long either and that hit her self-confidence like a nuke.

The last thought made Mya's grip on her steering wheel tighter. The ache in her joints steadying her mind back on the road.

Why wasn't I enough?

She made the self-deprecating thought dissipate just as fast as it came. She was done with making herself feel like even more shit. She was more than enough for Tristan and it's not her fault he couldn't handle it. It wasn't her fault he wasn't ready — if that was even true.

She wanted to unwind during this summit. She was in a nice hotel away from all the commotion and traffic. The meetings weren't that long either this time around, only running for about a few hours during different days of the week. It was more than enough time to enjoy the area and what the hotel had to offer.

It was early in the evening when she arrived at Amber Resorts. She checked in, handing her keys over to the valet while handing him a generous tip — more than enough to make him really take care of the car.

She slid the keycard through the machine, the light on it turning green, letting her know the door was unlocked and the room was ready for entry.

She rolled her luggage inside, pushing the door open and letting it shut automatically behind her. The room she bought for the week was a suite. It was extremely large, almost resembling her master bedroom at home.

It had a beautiful balcony view with curtains that allowed you to oversee the several pools of the hotel and other tall buildings in the distance.

Mya inhaled a deep breath, letting her luggage fall over as she kicked her heels off and threw herself on the kingsized bed that was perfectly made. The comforter wasn't nearly as soft as hers back home, but she expected it. It was more than good enough for the week and she wouldn't complain.

She groaned softly, pulling herself up to a pillow. She was tired. Driving almost 6 hours straight with no one by her side was a mentally taxing challenge. She was used to being talked to by Tristan — or he'd be the one driving.

Mya frowned with her eyes closed, trying to push that devil out of her mind. Tomorrow was the first day of the summit and she needed all of her rest to rejuvenate her patience and energy. Especially with Tristan and her other co-workers roaming around, she had to prepare herself to be the calmest she could possibly be.

She had to represent Saylo. That meant she had to be on her best possible behavior and drinking was crossed off the list for tomorrow. At this point, she didn't understand attending these summits anymore. Saylo had all their dream partnerships and some of the most talented workers under their wing.

Mya quickly gave up on trying to figure out why it was all necessary. Her mind floated off to what Jeanie mentioned about one night stands. It's been a long time since she's received any physical attention.

Like most people, Mya enjoyed sex. She loves the idea of being naked and vulnerable with someone — caving into carnal desires and reaching several peaks. She loved being touched, taken cared of, and being able to do the same for someone else.

Masturbation never came easy for the dark-haired raven. She could never quite reach the peak she was aiming for on her own. Her mind would separate and get lost in millions of places, thus scattering her concentration. Her own nimble fingers were simply not enough. She craved the touch and heat of someone else. She wanted someone else to desire her and foam at the thought of her naked.

She cringed to herself. There was no time for these selfish thoughts, but how selfish did she crave to be. She missed being ... appreciated. She missed having someone's attention all to herself, but the wish was quickly shot down by a flash of pain in her chest.

Look how much trouble allowing someone in caused.

Mya opened her eyes back up, her vision bleary and spotty. She was going to take another shower before heading to bed even though each bone in her body severely protested against it. She was already so comfortable and the fact that this was the first night in a long time she didn't need a drink to soften her spirit was an accolade she thought she'd never acquire.

❚ ❚ ❚

May wore a black skin-tight dress. Her arms and most of her shoulders were exposed and her hair was well put together in a nice fishtail braid. The dress stopped mid-thigh, more than enough to get away with. Her black pumps matching with her entire outfit and her name tag pinned above her left breast. Her diamond studs shining like the sun.

She put on light makeup, not like she ever really needed it, but she had to look especially attractive tonight. If there was one thing she couldn't stand about the summits was that everyone talked.

They talked about how representatives from certain companies looked, how they presented themselves, what they wore, how they acted, and sometimes who they were with. Sometimes it wasn't even a good idea to bring along significant others.

The business world is made up of gossip, competition, and judgment so Mya did whatever she could to avoid any negative remark that would somehow trail its way right back to Saylo.

It was childish, but that was life for her. You couldn't escape any of those 3 things no matter what career you ended up in. She only hoped her reluctant co-workers cared the same amount — especially Tristan, who sometimes found it hard to contain himself around attractive women.

Arriving at the large Santa Praiser convention center, which was currently flooded with tons of cars and dressed up people, Mya gave her car keys to the valet, tipping graciously and making note of the man she gave her keys to.

Mya took a deep breath, solemnly preparing herself for the evening. The schedule consisted of numerous presentations. The worst part about presentations was the fact that all the companies had to sit together in their reserved seatings and since she wasn't drinking tonight, it was going to be torture.

She couldn't get away from Tristan no matter how hard she tried. All she wanted was a break from the man. She didn't want to see his face or feel his presence.

"Ms. Stone!" A bald man shouted, pushing his way past several people to get to her.

Here we go.

Mya feigned a fake and sweet smile, "Hello."

"Ms. Stone, you don't know me, but allow me to introduce myself. I'm Richard Tenet, newly appointed director at Mirtzeger—" Mya quickly tuned the man out once she heard "Mirtzeger."

That company was an empty shell all around and was quickly plummeting to the ground. They had a new director every month it seemed. She had no time to waste on failure.

Someone else caught Mya's eye, someone who was a literal icon in the business world at the moment. Another woman who possessed an infinite amount of power, North Millian-Samson. The openly proud lesbian woman with a little daughter — a beautiful family of her own.

Her hair was up in an elegant bun, large shiny earrings hanging from her ears. She wore a black dress herself, that was open at her back. Her dark blue eyes were searching around while she held a glass flute of champagne in her hand.

Mya assumed she brought her wife along with her — she read in online tabloids and watched interviews that she normally brought her wife to attend events — and a few seconds later, she saw Mrs. Samson's tattooed companion, Allie, in a lovely and expensive lady suit, approach her.

Mya floated off while Richard was still talking, taking the opportunity to escape the mansplaining that was taking place. She needed to introduce herself to North. This was the first time she's ever seen the woman in person.

Mya cleared her throat and ran her hands over her dress nervously. It seemed like the married couple was engaged in their own conversation and Mya didn't want to interrupt.

"Mrs. Samson and Mrs. Samson," Mya said gently.

Both pairs of eyes landed on her and she felt her skin crawl at the sudden pause between all three of them.

North smiled, extending her hand out to Mya, in which Mya stared blankly at the hand within reach.

Allie laughed quietly. "That's how I feel every time I see her too."

Mya mentally kicked herself, grabbing the hand in front of her and shaking it, smiling like an ecstatic child. "I'm sorry I just — you're amazing. I thought I'd never get the chance to meet you, ever."

"Well I'm glad you got the chance too," North replied sweetly. "And you are?"

"Oh, Mya. Mya Stone. Head of the Software Engineering department in Saylo Enterprise."

"Ah, you're the one I've been hearing all about. Congratulations Mya, you're one of the best around at Saylo," North said with wide eyes. "You're going to have a flock of people trying to grab your attention tonight and probably the rest of the week. Good luck."

Mya smiled. She was currently in disbelief that one of the world's most prestigious businesswomen had heard about her. "You have ... no idea how crazy this is to hear and yes, I've already had someone terrorize me."

North chuckled, "Being an attractive woman doesn't make it any easier, trust me. Have a nice night Mya, I'm sure this won't be the last time we meet. Don't be afraid to say hi."

"Thank you so much for your time," Mya said. She quickly made herself scarce, allowing the couple their privacy. Her heart was racing in her chest at the moment. She couldn't believe North Samson actually spoke to her.

And the fact that North knew who she was? Another accolade in the book.

Maybe this week isn't going to be so bad after all.

Mya became antsy quickly, staring over at the complimentary drinks being handed out to several people. She wanted a drink desperately and the night had only just begun.

She decided to distract herself by finding Saylo's reserved seating. She squeezed herself through big groups and tight areas. She heard her name being called by unrecognizable voices, but ignored them, pretending not to hear anything as she fled further and further away.

She found the table they were eventually going to be sitting at for the rest of the night, followed by other tables and a podium up at the front. She sighed softly to herself, walking to the round table that was set with small plates and utensils.

"Mya?"

Mya rolled her eyes, groaning inwardly, turning around to see Tristan in a grey vest and grey dress pants. She raised her eyebrow at him, not wanting to speak.

He cleared his throat, "Um, Jameson called me. He said he would like some notes and an overview of the presentations."

"Good luck with that."

Mya took a chair out of the table and sat down, sighing softly to herself. Tristan's presence only getting closer.

Did he really think I was going to do it? Jameson called him. Not me.

He pulled a chair out next to her, sighing as he sat down. Mya swallowed thickly, getting more vexed by the second. It seems Tristan didn't take the hint.

"Talk to anyone yet?" He asked softly.

Mya pinched the bridge of her nose. "Tristan, stop."

"I'm just asking. We have to be civil here if you didn't know," He responded.

"I'm aware," She replied sharply. "That doesn't mean you have to talk to me."

"Can you relax for once? Trust me if there was a way I could stay away from you, I would."

Her chest ached hearing that. "Then stop talking to me. It's the least you can do."

He scoffed. "Whatever, Mya. When the others get here fix your damn face. You look like an angry 5-year-old."

"Fuck you," She scowled and folded her arms.

Tristan laughed quietly. "You clearly need it."

Mya's glare was so deadly, it actually made Tristan straighten up and keep quiet.

She was undeniably frustrated now, trying to keep it together. Her other co-workers had found the table a while later, pulling out chairs across and beside Mya and Tristan. She was silently thankful for it. Tristan could finally be occupied with something else.

It seemed like the time was coming for the summit to really begin. Everyone was starting to find their place and the lights were getting dimmer and dimmer by the minute. Mya spotted the hosts all the way up front, getting things ready.

All of this distracted her, but only for a few minutes. She knew her mind was going to drift off during the presentations and sitting next to Tristan wasn't going to make it easier.

The light's finally shut off. Spotlights moved across the walls and everyone went silent.

"Good evening, everyone. We're all here tonight and for the rest of the week, for business!"

Clapping and cheers ensued, Tristan, following along, being overly enthusiastic, making Mya roll her eyes. Her co-workers turned their chairs all the way around to watch what was going on.

"To start the week off, we'll be going through a few short presentations from our newest companies. This their time to show us what they're made of, to sell us, to make partnerships and hopefully, life-long friendships. Our waiters and waitress will be around each table, to take your orders for food while this goes on. This our way of saying thank you and keeping you all energized throughout the night and the week. Let the Santa Prasier Summit begin!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 7.2K 37
Ginny is a Graduating Senior in College, majoring in Crime Investigation in X University. During her last year, there's been a sudden change. a new t...
5.2K 236 20
Avery always thought that she had her next five years planned out. Finish college, get a degree in psychology, start working, get back into dating wo...
1M 39.7K 61
After disappearing for the rest of her senior year, Nova is an enigma most people don't want to mess with. She thought she could come back to school...
522K 14.1K 72
|was titled sky evans| Twenty-two-year-old Sky Evans born and raised a New Yorker finds her way towards a new job opportunity working a the most wel...