Rose, Wilted: Book 1

By danikavanguard

A mangled curse. An old feud. A horrible monster. Ever since the Beast overthrew the King three years ago, th... More

Chapter 1 - Midnight Bells
Chapter 2 - Beauty
Chapter 4 - The Colors of a Rose
Chapter 5 - The Attack
Chapter 6 - In the Belly of the Beast
Chapter 7 - The Bloodstained Truth
Chapter 8 - The Mirror and the Main Course
Chapter 9 - Moonlit Meetings
Chapter 10 - Magic and Maps
Chapter 11 - Curiosity Kills
Chapter 12 - Blizzard of Blood
Chapter 13 - Who Are You?
Chapter 14 - Spellbound
Chapter 15 - Sleep Talk
Chapter 16 - Third Time's The Charm
Chapter 17 - Forgiveness
Chapter 18 - Tick Tock
Chapter 19 - Mad as a Monster
Chapter 20 - Run, Run, Run, as Fast as You Can
Chapter 21 - Stone Cold
Chapter 22 - Just One Week
Chapter 23 - Family Reunion
Chapter 24 - The Seventh Sunset
Chapter 25 - Adam
Chapter 26 - Everything Ends
Chapter 27 - Broken
Author's Note
Fanart!
Name Meanings
My Art

Chapter 3 - Two Suitors

7.9K 468 82
By danikavanguard

I didn't hang around the forest for much longer after that. I ran back home with my heart racing my feet, and I don't know who won. Lot of good my dagger did me, I reflected when I was safely back inside. It didn't seem that it would do me much good either if the monster really did attack. It was probably better not to go out alone anyways in light of the state of the country, but with this added danger...

I shook my head. Well, safe or not, I had to go to town today and Father had undoubtedly already left. He had a small shop in the square where he sold whatever we could come with to pay the dues. Usually that meant homegrown spices, herbs and vegetables. Now that Gavin, Terrence and Baron, my three older brothers, had gone off to try their luck in the world, we didn't have much in the way of a steady income. What little money there was I grabbed out of the back of one of the cupboards and slipped into my apron pocket. Quickly, I splashed some water onto my face from the wash basin to clean away the soot.

But when I went to push open the door I found that my hand had kept back to my knife handle. I gave a kind of coarse laugh.

What are you afraid of Anna? A little walk into town? Don't be such a flighty little hatchling.

I pulled my hand away from the knife and used it to grab the basket instead, then push the door open and close it behind me. I set my shoulders.

The walk into town was a short, dirt path, out in the open, and far removed from the forest. Nothing to fear. Especially with the town spread out below me in plain view.

It was just the beginning of fall, but already the leaves had burst into flame colors, setting the trees ablaze with the colors of autumn. They ranged in every bright hue of the summer sunset and crunched under my shoes as I tromped towards town. There was still a lingering warmth from summer, but the chill breeze that ruffled the calm was an indicator of the cold weather to come.

I neared the town and then passed into its midst, melting into the noisy crowd without resistance. Carts rattled past, drawn by old work horses and men alike while women chattered in huddles near the many shop fronts. I could smell the sweet scents of the bread and pie wafting out from the open-air shop front of the bakery and the sharp scents of oak and aspen from the carpentry.

But it wasn't all pleasant. A door a few houses down caught my eye. At least, what should have been a door. It was twisted on its hinges and scored with deep gouges. The thick wood was splintered and torn. The metal hinges were mangled beyond hope of repair. Just inside was a woman sobbing into her apron. I wondered who it was. Her husband? Her son?

A woman in a dull colored outfit was scrubbing at a dark stain splashed across the stones of the bell tower in the main square. My eyes traveled upward and saw the bell. It was cracked up one side and hanging askew. Inadvertently, my thoughts flitted back to my mother's headstone. Why wasn't I dead too? I suppressed a shudder and hurried on.

After weaving my way through the meager crowds and turning a few corners I came to a street lined completely by booths and stands shaded by awnings. Most were in good repair except for some patches here and there, but some seemed to have been set up the previous day in preparation, but had become the unlucky victims of the attack. Several awnings were little more than ghostly tatters, shuddering in the light breeze. The crowds were a bit lethargic and so were the salesmen, and though market day was normally a more cheerful affair, everyone seemed subdued. It wasn't difficult to guess why.

I made my way around the market, buying the necessities and what food we'd need in the coming days, then walked over to a smaller stand. It was simple and didn't stand out much, but bunches of dried flowers and herbs hung from racks in the ceiling. There were several small, paper packets labeled in careful ink; everything from rosemary and lavender to cloves and basil. A few fresh vegetables were also up for sale, the ones that we didn't eat ourselves. Everything on display was a product of my green thumb, a fact in which I allowed myself some pride. I smiled at Father. He was still a merchant here, just as he had been in the city. Except now he did less trading and managing and more of the actual production and selling.

I took my place behind the counter and set my basket down under it. I watched as men and women passed through the street, most of whom I recognized, but no one stopped. After about a half hour, I sighed. There wasn't much to do and the pungent smells of spices were beginning to make my head spin. Mother always had more patience than I. Why couldn't I be the same?

I massaged my forehead with my fingers. How did she do it all? Playing the mother was exhausting. Even after three years, I could never quite get it right. Always getting on my sisters' nerves on accident, never knowing how to get all the chores done in a day... I couldn't even keep the peace in my own house. I guessed I just wasn't ready to have kids yet. Especially kids one or two years older than me. But who else was going to hold this family together? Father was, well, Father. I loved him deeply, but he wasn't the same. And I... I was just inadequate.

"Father?"

"Hmm?"

"I was just thinking about- about mother. And, well, I just-,"

"Yes?"

"What if you got remarried?" I blurted out. Father raised his eyebrows.

"Anna-,"

"I know it's crazy, but I just thought that, well, I think Ilsa and Blair need someone there for them. They don't listen to me, and Ilsa is still upset about leaving the city. Blair- well, she's been...different since Mother passed away, and I can't-,"

"Anna, slow down," Father said. "It's alright. I know how hard you try. I know you think I don't see it, but I do. And I agree. The three of you need someone. But I- I don't know if I can do that."

He looked across the street with a pained expression.

"I don't think I could ever forget Caroline," he murmured.

"But you won't forget her, Father. None of us will. But can't love happen twice?"

He sighed.

"Perhaps. But- well, I don't know."

"I don't mean to push you, Father," I said quietly. "I just want us all to be happy. You too."

"I know," he said. "Just let me think it over, alright?" I nodded and said,

"I'm going to go out for a walk. I think the spices are getting to me."

I walked off down the road, browsing and chatting with a few people, all the while watching Father out of the corner of my eye. There was a short, plump woman with silver veined brown hair speaking with him now. I thought maybe she was asking about prices, but then I saw my Father's face brighten and then he laughed aloud. I had to smile to myself. It was Mrs. Charlesdaughter, the town doctor. She had a talent for herbal remedies and even some very basic magic. She was also a regular customer and a good family friend.

I wandered a little farther to where the street market began to grow more sparse. There were fewer people and the relative quiet was nice.

It was quickly interrupted.

A large, rough hand grabbed one of my own and spun me around to face its owner.

The man was taller than me by nearly a foot and was hard-built muscle all the way through. His strong jaw was edged with bristly black stubble and sideburns came to just below his cheekbones. His hair was dark and his eyes approached the color of obsidian. His nose was straight and his strong features had the acute focus of an expert hunter.

"Don't you have somewhere to be, Avoln?" I asked, annoyed at the firm grip he had on my hand. "Some date with your gun or something?"

"Annalise, come on, you know what I want," he said smoothly.

"A ring on my finger. Yes, you've told me before," I said shortly. "And I've told you before, I'm taken."

"I must confess that for a girl you have spirit. Snippety. You may not be pretty-,"

Even from a man as loathsome as this one the words still stung.

"-but I confess you more than make up for it. Although we will have to work out some of your, ah, kinks, in the future."

"I am getting married Avoln!" I said. "I am becoming the wife of the man I love and I can assure you, that man is not you. I'm sure either Ilsa or Blair would be delighted to have you, but not I." I turned to walk away but he let go of my hand and grabbed my forearm, squeezing it so hard that I cried out in pain.

"You're a feisty little one. I like that. But marriages can be rearranged you know. Don't forget that," he whispered fiercely.

"And I'll rearrange your body parts if you don't let go of her right now," a voice said through clenched teeth. I jumped and Avoln went rigid for a moment, then a smile smoothed over his startlement. He turned slowly, never letting my arm go.

The young man who had come up behind him now held a knife to Avoln's ribcage. His sandy hair hovered between brown and blonde and a few strands fell between his spark snapping blue eyes in agitation. He was clean shaven and not as burly as Avoln, but he stood straight and confident. A steely ring adorned the ring finger of his left hand.

The young man lifted his chin and leveled his blue glare to Avoln's obsidian eyes.

"Jean, nice of you to join us," Avoln said.

Jean's eyes flickered briefly to my own. I'm okay, I mouthed. He gave an almost imperceptible nod and looked back to Avoln.

"When's the ceremony?" Avoln asked.

"Not soon enough," Jean said, "especially after today."

Avoln grinned.

"Perfect. I'll be sure to attend."

"Let her go, Avoln," Jean said sternly.

Avoln forced a grin.

"Best wishes to the happy couple," he said. Then he released my arm with an exaggerated motion and stalked away into the crowd.

I rubbed my fingers against my throbbing forearm and winced.

Jean blew out a long breath and re-sheathed his knife. He pushed his sandy hair backward with spread fingers and shook his head. Then his focus turned to me.

"Annalise, are you all right?"

I nodded.

"I'm fine. Maybe a little bruised on my arm, but it'll fix itself."

He strode over to me and pulled me into an embrace. I released a long sigh and pressed my cheek to his shoulder.

"You're sure you're alright? What did he say?" Jean murmured into my hair. His blue eyes were still watching Avoln's retreat.

"The usual."

"Ah."

"You came just in time."

"That's what I'm here for," Jean said. He pulled away from me and I saw the spark of mischief in his eyes.

"Guardian and protector at your service, my Lady," he said with a grin. I laughed.

"Jean, you are wonderful, really wonderful, you know that?"

"How could I not?" he said mischievously. "Come on, let's get you to your father before he comes back again."

____________________________________________________

So what do you guys think of Jean and Avoln?

(I picture Jean a bit older than the guy in the picture above, though Avoln is pretty square on)

I absolutely loved writing the scene towards the end of this chapter. Jean is one of my favorites. Unfortunately doesn't get to make too many appearances, but that doesn't mean he doesn't play a big part.

Next chapter things get a little more interesting as we come to some strange happenings and later to the Beast's first big appearance.

Please comment and vote and add this story to your reading list so that other users can discover it.

Thanks guys!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 9.1K 52
[FREE STORY with exclusive chapters] Tragedy has struck the kingdom of Iride. The crown prince has disappeared and rumors claim pirates have taken hi...
383 69 15
Being different can be a curse but it can also be an unexpected advantage... A year into her apprenticeship, Lara died. When she's -mostly- brought b...
180K 11.2K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
173K 7.7K 29
"He was a beast by all standards, a horrific sight to behold." The town of Vell knows fully well the monster that lurks within the halls of Rose...