Once More to the River: Famil...

By erasmoguerra

“Like the howl of an accordion—half sorrow and half joy, wondrous and exquisite—these stories squeezed my hea... More

Childhood's End
Freedom Ride
Tex-Mex Express
Once More to the River
Recuerdo: My Sister Remembered

Introduction

35.6K 249 53
By erasmoguerra

Introduction

Many nights, my mom stood on the front porch and hollered at my sister, brother and me to get home after we spent the day wandering the neighborhood. She called us desvalagados. Not exactly lost, but loose.

She didn’t like us spending too much time in “borrowed houses.”

“There’s nothing like your own home,” Mom said. “No hay más como tu propia casa.”

And there never will be. Although I’ve lived in New York City for nearly two decades, when I sit down at my writing desk I still hear my mom’s echoes and return to that stretch of the Texas-Mexico border along the Rio Grande where I was born and raised.

These stories first appeared in magazines, online journals and literary anthologies, but this book gathers them together in a proper collection of their own.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

737K 15K 111
Yaszy Romano has been through so much pain and suffering her entire life but it makes her who she is. Dark Angel...Dangerous, Powerful. An Assassin...
22.6K 377 42
What the title said. You are a Worker Drone BTW Slow Updates because My motivation is dying.
98K 557 11
တက္ကသိုလ်တတ်နေကြတဲ့ အဆောင်နေ ကျောင်းသားတွေရဲ့ Sex ဖြစ်တဲ့ပုံစံကို စိတ်ကူးယဥ်ပြီးရေးသားထားတဲ့ ဝတ္ထုရှည်(ဇာတ်လမ်းတွဲ)လေးပါ
89.7M 2.8M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...