BLOODLINES | THE SPANISH PRI...

By arios2004

In Nora of Lancaster is dead, but her legacy lives on through Marie of Burgundy, the Tudor's ward, and Prince... More

BLOODLINES
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
ACT TWO
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47

27

1.9K 53 5
By arios2004

BLOODLINES
— 27. Scotsman

  In her room, Marie was standing alone when there was suddenly a knock on the door. She frowned and walked over to the door. She opened it, only to be confused by the sight of Catherine standing there.

"Your Grace," Marie quickly spoke up and curtsied before Catherine.

"Marie. It is good to see you," Catherine replied, a smile on her face as Marie stepped out of the way to allow her into the room.

"Forgive me, Your Grace," Marie began to say, a puzzled look on her face, "But why have you come?"

"I wanted to tell you in person that until your child is born, you needn't attend on me anymore. You need your rest," Catherine informed her with a smile on her face, only to have it gradually fade, "I also heard you went to visit Edmund of York and witnessed his execution," She explained and Marie sighed, looking down at the ground uneasily, "Why?"

"I knew Edmund when he was just a little boy. I watched as Nora sent Lizzie of York off with him to my father for safety. I watched as he was imprisoned at just seventeen years old just three years ago," She admitted, smiling sadly at the thought, "He is dead now, at only twenty. He spent his life deemed a traitor, solely because of who his father was. I was locked away in a dungeon when his father and Nora died. I had to be there for him, at least."

"You have lost so much. I am so sorry," Catherine told her, a sympathetic look on her face as she grabbed Marie's hand and held it.

"You don't need to be sorry, Your Grace. It's not your fault. And it wasn't mine, either. But I suppose I will be losing a whole lot more in the near future. Tragedy seems to run in my family's blood," Marie explained, smiling sadly as she looked away.

There was a moment of silence between them, just before Catherine decided to speak up. "I have a feeling your daughter is going to be a girl," She informed her and Marie gave her a curious look.

"You think I carry a girl?" She asked curiously as she placed a hand over her growing belly.

"It is a feeling I have, Marie," Catherine replied, placing a hand on Marie's belly, "Just as I have a feeling about mine."

Hearing Catherine's words, Marie's smile faded, and tried to hide her uneasiness. "Don't be afraid. You have given birth to one child. This birth will go by just as swiftly. You and your husband will be blessed with yet another strong and healthy child."

"But he will not be here, Your Grace," Marie replied, smiling sadly at the thought, "He will be in France, with the rest of the men. I will be here alone."

"He will return to you, I know it," She assured Marie, who simply smiled and nodded as she tried to hide her uneasiness.

_____

Crowds had formed outside Westminster and Kathy and Marie stood on the balcony with Stafford, Henry, Catherine, and Charlie.

"My loyal subjects, I leave you now in the care and protection of your beloved queen and princess, the most loyal, faithful, and prudent of women," Henry explained in a loud tone, "I make my sister now, in my absence, captain of the forces, and she and your beloved queen, co-regents of England."

The crowds cheered and Charlie turned as he clapped, beginning to smile at Kathy. "You saw this day coming from a mile away, I'm sure of it."

"Perhaps," Kathy replied and shrugged her shoulders.

"I humbly thank Your Grace," Catherine told her husband before turning to address the crowd, " I swear I shall fulfill your trust in me...for your sake and for the sake of my unborn son, the future king."

The crowd cheered once more and Kathy smiled, beginning to clap as well.

Marie clapped for a bit longer before turning to Edward. She grabbed his hand and held it. "Return to me soon," She told him, smiling as she cupped her face in his hands and kissed him.

"I will. I promise," He assured her and they kissed once more.

Hearing a loud scoff, they turned to see that it had been Charlie. "You guys have no shame," He commented and Marie smiled as she walked over to him.

She placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned closer to him. "You're just jealous you can't kiss the woman you love goodbye before you leave, aren't you?" She commented and turned to gesture toward Kathy.

Charlie rolled his eyes and gave Marie an annoyed look. Edward laughed in amusement, knowing well enough to know Marie was right.

She leaned forward and kissed Charlie on the cheek, playfully slapping him on the behind before she walked back over to Stafford. "Both of you, kill some Frenchmen, would you?" She commented before turning to glance at Charlie, "And perhaps if Henry knights you at the end of it, you might just catch her eye again."

"You idiots speak about me as though I am not right here," Kathy complained as she let out an annoyed groan.

"Speaking of what?" Henry asked, a clueless look on his face as he walked over to them.

"Nothing," Charlie and Kathy immediately replied in unison, earning a weird look from Henry while Edward and Marie laughed in amusement.

"Well, then, let's go. Leave the women to the gossiping. We have a war against France to win," Henry complained and as he began to walk away, Charlie and Edward shared an annoyed look.

Charlie immediately followed after Henry while Edward quickly kissed Marie one last time before following after Henry as well.

"Do you still love him?" Marie suddenly asked Kathy with a curious look on her face, "Because he loves you more than you could ever know."

"You don't think I know that?" Kathy snapped at Marie in a low growl, "I wish I could have a happy life with him, but it will never work. Henry and I always seem to be at each other's side now. I never have time for myself. And if I began to attempt to have time for myself to be with Charlie, Henry would surely notice. It could never work between us. Not as it used to."

Kathy sighed, shaking her head at Marie before she walked away.

_____

At Westminster Palace, Mary was standing on a platform as Ursula, Bessie, Anne, and Mary Boleyn attended to her and helped her with her new dress.

"Mary's prince is strange to look at, but he's richer than Solomon," Ursula spoke up with a smile on her face.

"Was Solomon rich?" Anne asked, a curious look on her face, "I thought he was wise."

"No, Anne, I think that he is also rich," Ursula argued and Mary turned, exchanging an amused look and playful eye roll with her older sister from across the rich.

"A rich king," Anne replied, smiling slightly as she stared down at the ground.

"Ow! It pinches," Mary complained and Ursula turned to her in concern.

"Where?" She asked her curiously.

"Here, here, and here," Mary replied and Ursula laughed in response.

"You have too much flesh, Mary," Ursula commented and Kathy smiled as the rest of the girl giggled.

Anne, a curious look on her face, turned to glance at Kathy, who was casually sprawled out on Henry's throne as if it were nothing.

She turned to Mary, leaning closer to the younger princess. "How does your sister get away with sitting on the king's throne as she does?"

"My dear sister is practically considered a queen herself," Mary informed Kathy, a proud look on her face, "She certainly lives like one."

The girls giggled, not realizing Kathy heard the entire conversation. She rolled her eyes at them and the moment she saw General Thomas Howard enter the room, she stood up.

"General Howard," Kathy greeted the man with a polite look on her face.

"Your Grace," He greeted the woman as he politely bowed to her, "You wished to see me?"

"Ah, yes," Kathy answered, moving closer to him and away from her sister and the rest of the ladies, "I hear the Scottish border raids have grown much worse. Is that correct?"

"Yes. Now, they've even pirated one of our trading ships off the Berwick coast," He informed her before muttering, "Bastards."

"But the nature of Scots is more bandit than campaigner," He assured in a calm tone, "They're opportunists, and they've grown bold because they know the king is abroad. We've no standing army, and we're left with..." He trailed off, looking down at Kathy.

"What?" She asked the man, smiling as she tilted her head, "Just say it, General. I know you want to. Because the king has left two women in charge of England," She explained as her smile gradually faded, "Say what you will about Catherine, but I am not her. I have experience in battle. My father groomed me for this. I was raised to be in a high position like this in England my entire life. My sister, the Queen of Scotland, writes to me that her husband wishes to invade."

"He wouldn't bloody dare," He argued in a stern tone, "It's a bluster."

"I have written to her and asked her to entreat James to desist, but you, General, must ride north," She commanded and Howard immediately started at her as though he were crazy, "You must raise men and be ready to defend our homeland, should the worst occur."

"That's fucking ridiculous!" He shouted out and Kathy's eyes widened at his words.

"You think it's fucking ridiculous?" She shouted back at him, causing Mary and the rest of the girls to turn and stare at Kathy in shock since it was frowned upon for a lady of her social status to curse as she did, "Would you rather them bloody raid, General Howard?"

"Forgive me, Your Grace," He told her, letting out a large sigh.

"My brother, the King, appointed my commander of the forces, yes?" She reminded him and Howard nodded in response, "And you are my force, General Howard. So I command you to ride north at once. And in due time, I will join you."

_____

Dear Henry,

You're an idiot for traveling to France when Scots were raiding our borders.

You should have known it was all a farce. The Scots and French must be working together. They have been allies for far longer than England and Scotland have.

I hear that you have made camp at Therouanne and that you have besieged the town. I am sure this is the first of many great battles for you, my brother. I am always happy to hear of your victories across the channel, but what of here?

We are alone here and I hear Scotland plans to invade, which means I must deal with these bastard Scots alone with only General Howard and Catherine here to help me. And you know how wary I am of both of them.

I don't get along with either so how am I supposed to work with them to protect England?

General Howard rallies what is left of Englishmen to assist our depleted army. I finally realized we are nothing like our grandmother Nora of Lancaster. With one statement, she could have had half of England flocking to our banner. I am unable to do the same.

But I must work with what I have and I promise you, I will repel the Scots and make them wish they never tried to invade these lands.

Do not be troubled, dear brother. I will make sure this rebellion is put to rest long before you return home.

Your humble, loyal servant and sister,
Princess Katherine, regent of England and Duchess of Bedford

As she finished her letter, it wasn't long before Kathy heard someone entering the room. She smiled at the servant and immediately took hold of the letter being handed to her. "It is from General Howard, Your Grace."

Kathy nodded and opened up the letter, sighing at what she read inside.

"Does he have his army, Your Grace?" She asked curiously and Kathy didn't answer but looked unhappy as she handed the girl the letter she wished to be delivered to her brother in France.

____

The following day, the ladies of the court looked shocked as Kathy walked out wearing a man's armor. However, even Kathy looked shocked when Catherine walked out as well, wearing armor Kathy had seen nothing like before. It had extra armor around her swollen belly, which Kathy found herself nearly laughing at. It just didn't look right.

Many of the ladies at court expected of Kathy, of all people, to head out to battle, yet the same couldn't be said about Catherine. "Mary, I have asked for Lina to be brought to Westminster so Bessie and Ursula can attend her and the Lady Marie when their children come."

"Of course, Catherine," Mary replied, nodding her head as she tried to hide her uneasiness.

"Catherine," Maggie suddenly called out as she walked over to the English queen, looking uneasy.

"Maggie," Catherine greeted the woman, a calm expression on her face, "General Howard is struggling to draw men to the banner. If they see their regents, then—"

"Catherine..." Maggie trailed off, speaking in a soft tone, "'Tis a folly. No matter what your mother has told you, you are not equipped for this, not like Kathy—"

"Then who is, Lady Pole?" Catherine cut the woman off in a cold tone, "England is a land of women and children in our army's absence. Someone must defend them. Your cousin Edmund knew the cost of following a cause. He was prepared to die for what he believed in. To save my country, so am I. Kathy and I may make James see sense, or I may go to war, but either way, I ride."

Catherine walked toward her horse and Kathy began to do the same after taking a deep breath. "Kathy!" Maggie suddenly called it, causing Kathy to frown as she walked over to her cousin.

Maggie sighed, grabbing ahold of Kathy's hand. "I know we have not seen eye to eye, but you are still my family and I love you. And I must say..." She trailed off, smiling as she placed a hand on the side of Kathy's face, "You may not have known her, but you, brave Kathy, you would have made Nora proud."

"I hope so," Kathy replied, smiling at the thought, "One could only wish to make a woman like her proud."

"Be careful out there. You might not see it, but England needs you. Your brother needs you. Without you..." She trailed off, sighing deeply as she shook her head, "I fear he'd go mad."

Kathy nodded in understanding and wasted no time hugging Maggie. Gradually, she pulled away and looked over at Mary. She smiled and nodded at her sister before walking away.

As she watched Kathy walk away, Mary began to tear up. Kathy and Henry were all she had now. If she were to lose either of them, she didn't know how she would be able to survive such a loss.

"If we lose my sister, we are all lost," Mary suddenly spoke up as she watched Kathy ride off, and deep down, they all knew she was right. Kathy was the heart of England.

Without her, England would crumble.

____

It wasn't long before Catherine and Kathy arrived at the abbey where General Howard struggled in convincing the people standing before him to fight.

The moment the two women entered, his eyes widened and the crowd fell silent. "Good morning," Catherine spoke up and each person there fell into a kneel, "Join us. Join your queen and Princess regent to face the Scot before he consumes you all."

Moments later, outside the abbey, Howard began to walk through where they had set up camp with Catherine and Kathy. "Do we know their numbers?" Catherine asked the man curiously.

"Greater than ours," He pointed out in a calm tone, "And they're trained, whilst we have stable boys, tavern keepers, shepherds."

"Englishmen, Howard," Kathy argued in a defensive tone, "If we convince our people to believe in our cause, we will fight with far more strength and courage than the Scots ever could."

Howard remained silent and sighed, shaking his head slightly at the woman.

"Howard—" Catherine began to say, only to have the man cut her off.

"I don't want you anywhere near this battle," He complained in a stern tone.

"I am not yours to command, General," Catherine complained and General Howard sighed in frustration.

"Princess Katherine was right. She may be equipped for this. You are not," He reminded her calmly, "I will not be the man who kills the queen and the heir. This old bastard's heart would break if anything should happen."

Just then, the trio turned and watched as a man walked over and handed Howard a letter. "From the Scots," He informed Kathy and Catherine, who immediately took it from his grasp, "Clearly, King James wishes to parley."

"No, you idiot. That is not the king's seal," Kathy argued and Catherine smiled as she began to walk away.

"She is right. It is the Queen's," She informed Howard, who looked surprised by the revelation.

____

Soon after receiving the letter, they arrived at the Scot's battle camp. Kathy was the first to climb off her horse and walk forward, where the men began to speak of her and Catherine's arrival.

"Oh, what do we have here?" She heard a man call out mockingly.

Arriving at the tent that belonged to King James, two guards ended up blocking their path with spears. "Where do you think you're going, My Lord?"

"Calm down, sonny, and let the ladies pass," Howard demanded as he and Kathy unsheathed their swords and placed them the others.

Moments later, they entered the tent, where King James looked annoyed by the sight of them. "King James," Kathy greeted the men as she bowed her to the man.

"Kathy!" Meg suddenly gasped excitedly, causing Kathy to turn and have her eyes widen at the sight of her sister, whom she hadn't seen in years.

"Bloody women," James grumbled and Kathy smiled as she turned to the man.

"Is that meant to be an insult?" She asked, an amused look on her face.

"I have no time for you," James complained to Catherine and Kathy in Spanish.

"You may make time, Your Grace," Catherine argued back with an attitude.

"You rode here with a child!" Meg exclaimed, staring down at Catherine's pregnant belly with wide eyes.

"I would not have had to if your husband had not broken our alliance," Catherine snapped at Meg coldly and the men laughed.

"My wife had a dream," James informed Catherine and Kathy with a smile on her face, "Scots' blood on the bedsheets. Well, I had a dream, too. The Scottish flag flying atop the Tower of London."

"And that is what it shall remain, my lord," Kathy responded, a taunting smile on her face, "A dream."

"How is this worth it for the glove for some French queen?" Meg complained in an aggravated tone.

"Well, little sister, it would seem your intellect isn't as bright as Catherine's and mine. Isn't it obvious? It's neither for the queen nor honor. He fights for the gold paid to him by fat King Louis," She explained and James began to laugh at him, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and I both know that I am not."

"Scottish claims in Europe have been dismissed by the Pope," James began to explain as he glanced around at the group, "Our allies, the French, are being assaulted by your husband with the Pope's blessing. This is wrong. This march south will restore Scots' pride."

"And waste thousands of Scots' alive," Catherine pointed out in a stern tone.

"And English too," Meg pointed as she glanced between her husband, Catherine, and Kathy, "Can reparations not be made instead?"

"You think we should pay money for being spared?" Howard snapped at Meg coldly, "Fuck that."

Hearing Howard swear at Meg, James turned to Howard with a threatening look on his face. "You speak to the queen like that once more, old man, and I will scoop your balls out with a spoon!"

"I think a fellow who wears a dress couldn't do me too much harm," General Howard retorted and Kathy began to smile.

"Even if he tried, I'd cut him down before he even got over here," Kathy pointed out and James laughed at them both.

"I have seventeen-thousand soldiers. You have an army of farmers led by a mother-to-be and a princess," James explained and Kathy smiled at the bragging man.

"Kathy, please, for the love of God, I asked you here for peace," Meg pleaded and James stared at his wife in shock.

Kathy remained in place. She stared at the ground, acting as though she felt uneasy and nervous about the whole ordeal.

"Oh, there can be peace," James replied in a calm tone, "No man has to die tomorrow. Withdraw."

"Kathy, my dearest sister..." Meg trailed off, moving closer to Kathy as she tried to grab her hand.

"Be still, Meg," James spoke up, causing Meg to turn to glance at her husband, "Your sister knows she and the Queen can't stop this."

Kathy stared up at James, allowing tears to form in her eyes. "Catherine, they have a point," She spoke up in a shaky tone, "If the Queen and I ask our army to retreat, then you must assure us that you will not run us down. Promise me that," She explained, shaking her head slightly, "I do not wish for the queen to risk her child. He is the heir to the throne and if she were to die, my brother would never forgive me. I would never forgive myself. Promise me you will not run us down if we withdraw."

James turned and glanced at his fellow Scotsmen, who were smiling at how weak Kathy was sounding, despite being renowned for her strength and courage.

He walked over to his men but after a moment, he turned to her once more. "Aye. I'll promise that," He assured her as he nodded her head, "You're wise to comply, Princess Katherine. Family comes first, eh? It would seem you take after your grandmother in that aspect. Nora of Lancaster. The Queen in all but name."

"You have no right to speak of her," Kathy snapped at him in a cold tone.

"I have every right to speak of her. I knew her, unlike you. We fought against England together. I supported her son Prince George and his claim to the throne. I knew her far more than you ever did," He explained to her in a venomous tone.

"Then like her, you know I will do anything to protect my blood," Kathy spoke to him coldly as she glared at him before walking out.

Outside, Kathy walked through the battle camp alongside Catherine and General Howard. "I will address the men," Howard announced before he began to walk forward.

"Tell them to prepare for battle," She told him, causing Howard to turn to her in confusion, only to see both Catherine and Kathy smiling, "Jactancioso, known in Spanish culture as the bagging man...who always weakens himself. He was relieved that the frightened women were going to flee. He will not expect us to fight. Bring a small group with torches and follow me back into town."

With that, Catherine walked away and Howard turned to Kathy with wide eyes. "You knew about this?"

"Who did you think suggested the idea in the first place? Did you really think those tears in my eyes back there were really?" Kathy replied, scoffing before following after Catherine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.2K 1.4K 85
- πΈπ‘šπ‘π‘–π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘  π‘Ÿπ‘–π‘ π‘’, πΈπ‘šπ‘π‘–π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘  π‘“π‘Žπ‘™π‘™ - It's the year 1485 and King Richard III has been slain at the battle of Bosworth along with his...
9.2K 101 26
what if the then duke of York fell in love with the rightful heir of Dutchbergland ? what if he loved her more than he love himself ? what if he wa...
37.1K 1.1K 71
You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of the story, you have to go back to the beginning. πŸ‘‘ Madeline Brando...
5.6K 112 15
Elisabetta "Eliza" de' Medici is only 13 years old when she becomes one of the most important people in Europe. The death of her mother leaves her th...