In Times Flow

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her bel... More

Sitri Eisner:
The Death of Sitri Eisner:
He Who Stays Cannot Leave:
The Heir to The Church of Seiros:
Father Dearest:
The King's Visit:
A Faerghian Tradition:
The Kings Departure:
Night Endeavor:
The Prospects of Friendship:
Changing Times:
A King's Plea:
To Faerghus:
The Prince of Faerghus Part One:
The Prince of Faerghus Part Two:
The Death of the Queen of Faerghus:
Garreg Mach:
Poor Prince:
The Royal Families Departure:
Imperial Year 1172:
Imperial Year 1173:
Imperial Year 1173 Part Two:
The Tragedy of Duscur:
Retribution:
The Execution of Christophe Gaspard:
Imperial Year 1177
Heir to House Gautier:
Departure from Gautier Estate:
To the Kingdom's Aid:
Western Faerghus Rebellion:
The Heir to House Riegan:
Remire Village:
A Fateful Encounter:
The Start to a New Year:
The Blue Lions:
Training Grounds:
The Mock Battle:
A Celebration:
Saint Macuil Day:
The Red Canyon:
Threat of a Rebellion:
Garland Moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Threat of an assassination:
Blue Sea Moon:
The Holy Mausoleum:
What Lurks in the Night:
Into the Abyss:
What Lies Beneath:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
The Missing Cardinal:
Betrayal:
Mother Dearest:
The Disowned Son of House Gautier:
To Conand Tower:
The Lance of Ruins:
Missing:
Missing Flayn:
The Death Knight:
Flayn:
Zanado:
Duscur:
The Battle of the Eagle and Lion:
A Celebration:
Impending Danger:
True Chivalry:
A Sudden Realization:
The Calamity at Remire Village:
The Beginning of Ethereal Moon:
Rhodos Coast:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
The Goddess Tower:
Father:
Good- Bye, Father:
The Goddess of Fodlan:
Change:
The Holy Tomb:
The Fall:
Return:
Returning to Garreg Mach:
Charon Estate:
Fhirdiad:
Dimitri...
The Prince and Princess of Faerghus:
The Kingdom's Help:
Imprisonment:
Escape:
What comes next:
The Royal Family Lives:
Attack on the Monastery:
Ailell:
A Plea to the Alliance:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Into the Holy Tomb... Again:
Unescapable:
Gronder Field:
What's Gone is Gone:
Fhirdiad:
A Plea From the Alliance:
To the Alliance:
Fort Merceus:
Arianrhod:
Dear Stepsister...
Enbarr:
The End of the Adrestrian Empire:
Grandmother...
The Immaculate One:
The End:

Queen Consort of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus:

453 16 10
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Two years had come and gone.

Not much had changed at the Monastery but the rest of Fodlan was a different story.

There was mass political turmoil in the Adrestrian Empire, for a few moons they were afraid that there was going to be a coup and Emperor Ionius IX would be overthrown or worse murdered.

But no requests for aid ever arose from the Empire, or maybe they never reached them, Byleth isn't certain.

Uncle had said that it was due to the Emperor trying to solidify his power of the throne, but the head noble houses of the Adrestrian Empire did not like that in the slightest.

It led to the Insurrection of the Seven. Which was the seven major houses of the Adrestrian Empire banning together to stop the Emperor from solidifying his power. Uncle said that they just enacted laws and regulations to keep the Emperor from gaining too much power.

Truth be told Byleth doesn't quite understand it, wouldn't that make his power like King Lamberts? Maybe the Emperor isn't a good ruler? She doesn't know, so she tries not to dwell on it too much.

And things in Faerghus aren't any better, while they had thought it best to keep the death of the Queen quiet there has been much speculation about it.

It has led to some tensions among smaller noble houses, Grandmother has had to send the Knights of Seiros out on more than one occasion to handle them.

Although on the bright side the plague has been completely eradicated from Faerghus.

While the Leicester Alliance isn't facing issues like Faerghus or the Empire, Uncle says that their situation may be the direst.

Two of the main houses in the Alliance are fighting for leadership over it, despite its claim to being a democracy. Uncle said that all of the squabbles and fights they have over territorial disputes threaten to lead to something more, the ominousness of his words left Byleth slightly unsettled.

How can she be expected to lead this after Grandmother?

Byleth sighs as she leans on the chair to her desk, she knows she shouldn't complain but she can't help but feel constricted by the expectations of Grandmother sometimes. And it doesn't help when her Uncle constantly reminds her of that duty as well.

Byleth looked back down at the letter she had been reading, she doesn't remember a lick of what she'd just read.

I guess that's a good stopping point then.

Byleth gets up from her desk, through her window she could see that it is dark.

Normally that would deter her from roaming the monastery aimlessly but... She feels cooped up in her room and needs to feel the chill of the night air.

And so, she begins wandering aimlessly till she reaches the Cathedral, it looks so ethereal from a far with the moonlight glow cast over it.

Byleth stops on the bridge and just stares at the building, she won't go inside. She doesn't want to risk running into priests or nuns that will talk her ear off and then turn around to her Grandmother and tell how she was out late at an ungodly hour doing who knows what.

"What are you doing out here kid?".

Her Father.

"Sleep evades me" Byleth responds then turns to him, "Now why are you out here?" she asked.

Jeralt chuckles, "I'm guarding the monastery" he said "Captain or not, I am still required to do lookout just like everyone else".

Byleth nodded, "That makes sense" she said.

It has been nice having her Father at the monastery, he became like Flayn to her a constant presence in her everyday life. Although she wouldn't say that they are completely comfortable with one another, but... Byleth knows that her Father cares.

And unlike Flayn Uncle won't make threats of sending him away over bad behavior or mischief. Although now that Byleth thinks about it, Grandmother could probably do that.

"You alright there Kiddo?" Jeralt asked.

Oh, she spaced off.

"Yeah... Sorry" Byleth murmured "I didn't realize how tired I actually am" she added.

Jeralt shook his head and sighed, "It would help if you went to sleep at normal hours you know" he said "And not wake up before the sun even rises" he added sternly "You're only twelve it's not good for you" Jeralt concluded.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "We have good healers here" she said in rebuttal.

Her Father was silent for a moment, "Alright Kid I think you must be exhausted because that sounded like a joke to me" he said.

Byleth frowned, "I can be funny" she said "Alois thinks I'm funny" she added.

Jeralt sighed and shook his head, "Kid, don't listen to the man who keeps a joke journal" he laughed "Now come on, Lady Rhea would be furious to find out that you were out so late" he said.

Byleth stood there for a moment then followed, he was right Grandmother would be angry to find out she was wandering late at night again.

...

The morning was fairly normal, in a few moons this year's students would leave and the new students would arrive once the new year started.

It was routine at this point to prepare for this.

"Byleth" Flayn called out to her.

She looked up and saw her approaching Byleth in the library.

"Yes?" Byleth replied.

"Lady Rhea wishes to see you," Flayn said.

Dammit.

Someone must have seen her last night, and to think she was so close to getting away with it.

Byleth sighed and shut her book.

Flayn giggled, "Don't tell me you're in trouble again" she said while shaking her head.

Byleth stood up and smoothed the skirt of her dress "One could only assume so" she said and began heading to Grandmother's audience room.

As she walked into the audience chambers, she noticed the lack of the priests and nuns that wished to be in the light that is the Archbishop, damn she must really be in trouble.

"Hello child" Grandmother said in a soft voice with a smile on her face.

She didn't look angry by any means.

"Hello Grandmother" Byleth replied "Flayn said that you requested my presence" she said "Has something happened?".

"Shut the doors please, dear" Grandmother said "This is a private conversation, I don't want to risk prying ears".

Byleth nodded and did as told then returned to her Grandmother, "This must be serious, I suppose?" she asked.

Lady Rhea laughed, "Not really, Child" she said "It's a good thing if anything" she added.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "What is it?" she asked.

"We will be receiving a visit tonight," Grandmother said.

"From who?" Byleth asked.

"Faerghus's royal family" Grandmother said.

Oh, the Prince and the King.

But why at night?

"What's with the secrecy surrounding this visit?" Byleth asked.

Grandmother smiled, "Inquisitive as ever Byleth" she hummed "The King is bringing company that it is best the word does not get spread about" she said.

How Grandmother phrased that made Byleth unsettled, "What kind of company?" she asked.

"His Majesties soon to be Queen Consort" Lady Rhea declared.

Byleth was stunned to say the least.

"Is that why His Majesty is coming?" Byleth asked "So that you will perform the marriage ceremony?" she added.

Grandmother nodded, "Indeed it is" she replied.

Byleth frowned, "But her Majesty died not long ago, isn't it too soon?" she asked.

Grandmother's brows furrowed, "That's insensitive dear" she said sternly "Everyone heals at different paces, and as King he is expected to have a Queen" she added.

That is true she supposed.

But could two years really have been long enough for them to heal?

As if Grandmother knew what she was thinking she began to speak, "Loss leaves a void in people my dear" she said "Imagine the heartache and loneliness that both his Majesty and his Highness feel" Grandmother said softly "His Majesty needs a wife and His Highness needs a Mother, it's time for them to move past the pain" she concluded.

Byleth nodded, "I see" she murmured "Will they be leaving immediately after the ceremony?" she asked.

Rhea shook her head, "No they will be here for maybe a week" she said.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "How are we going to keep the Queen consort hidden then during that duration of time?" she asked.

"Well she'll have to remain on the third floor so that she won't be seen" Rhea said "Although as long as she isn't in the company of His Majesty it should be fine for her to roam the grounds" she added.

That sounded restrictive to say the least.

"If she is to be the new Queen why aren't they open about it?" Byleth asked and narrowed her eyes at Grandmother.

"The last Queen was loved tremendously by her people" Grandmother said "And she was of Faerghus nobility" she added.

Byleth tilted her head in confusion, "And the new Queen isn't?" she asked.

Grandmother shook her head, "No, dear" she said "The new Queen is of nobility from the Adrestrian Empire".

That didn't make sense...

There weren't many opportunities for a noble from the Adrestrian Empire to meet a noble from the Kingdom, but... the King, nonetheless? That was irregular.

"I see" Byleth murmured "Do I need to be present for the ceremony?" she asked.

Grandmother quirked an eyebrow at her, "Oh? Is this getting in the way of your wandering hour?".

Dammit.

She should have kept her mouth shut.

"I don't recall" Byleth hummed and swayed back and forth on her heels.

Grandmother sighed, "You've become quite the handful child, I don't think I recall Sitri ever sneaking out in the middle of the night" she murmured.

Byleth stopped her swaying, "Maybe she was better at it then I?" she mused.

Grandmother shook her head "Perhaps" she said "Anyway that is all dear, you are free to go" she added.

Byleth nodded and left from the audience room.

Well... It seemed the Cathedral was booked for the night.

...

It was dark outside when Grandmother came to Byleth's room in the middle of the night and dragged her to the entrance gate of Garreg Mach.

She had been used to staying up late, her duties often required that, so it was normal. But... This was late, she could feel the exhaustion through her little body.

Byleth was standing beside Grandmother for a couple of minutes before she realized that Grandmother had been conversing with her.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Byleth asked and shook her head to attempt to case the drowsiness away.

It was to no avail.

Grandmother chuckled softly.

Byleth couldn't tell if she was smiling or not, the lantern she had was too close to the ground. It illuminated only a small part of her face before the darkness swallowed it.

"Once the ceremony is done you may rest dear" Grandmother said "I'll tell the nuns to leave you undisturbed in the morning as well".

Sothis was gracious indeed.

It wasn't long before Byleth heard the sound of a horse drawn carriage approaching the gates of the monastery.

And then the King was standing before them, with a drowsy Prince, and a petite brunette woman adorned in Imperial silk.

"Your Grace" King Lambert said with a bow "I would like to introduce my bride to be" he said.

Grandmother cut in, "there is no need, I remember Lady Anselma from her year at the academy".

"Lady Patricia" the woman said.

Grandmother nodded, "Of course, it makes sense to change your name in the Kingdom" she said.

The King smiled, "Indeed" he said then turned to Byleth "Lady Byleth, this is a late hour to be up, is this on my behalf?" he asked.

Byleth stared at him for a moment and blinked slowly, it took longer than she would like to admit for her to register that she had been asked a question.

"Oh, sorry" Byleth began "Yes" she concluded.

The King nodded, "Well in that case I appreciate the gesture" he said "Dimitri is having a hard time staying awake as well, isn't that right Son?" he said with a hearty laugh.

"I am not!" the Prince huffed.

"You are so" The King said "Dimitri dozed off countless times, you seem to be holding off better than Lady Byleth" he said "I take this isn't your first time being awake at such an hour?" he asked.

Dammit.

He didn't need to remind Grandmother.

Lady Rhea chuckled softly, "Indeed" she said and placed a hand on Byleth's shoulder "Byleth has picked up the habit of wandering through the monastery at late hours" she confirmed.

And Grandmother didn't need to tell them that either.

"Anyways, follow me and we may begin the ceremony" Grandmother said then turned and began leading the way to the Cathedral.

But there was something bothering her.

Why did the Queen's former name sound so familiar?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...
32.9K 1.3K 98
"BYLETH, YOU'RE DYING." Those were the words Byleth Eisner had heard her entire life...but it had never rang true. She had always known that the doct...
13K 498 44
Just as the title suggests, you are a student of the Golden Deer House. You were born into Empire nobility, but you ran away from home (for... reason...
957 15 35
A Fire Emblem Three Houses high school vampire AU. Byleth is used to her father's job causing them to move suddenly, and has to start her senior year...