Heimat | Aang

By -hellsqueen

Heimat: a place that you can call home; a sense of belongingness, acceptance, safety and connection to homela... More

PROLOGUE - PART ONE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
PART TWO
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
EPILOGUE

TWENTY-TWO

688 49 27
By -hellsqueen

The ship cut the waves as if it were a blade cutting through wood in an effort to shape it the way the handler wanted it to. The crew moved from side to side, the whole vessel bustling with energy as it moved parallel to the shore, the treetops and sharp cuts of earth leading to the abyss of the ocean barely visible by those on the ship.

On the highest part of the ship, a man stood, dressed in black, scarlet and gold, his long dark hair falling to his back, moving with the wind to the side. His eyes were glued to the sky, one eye wide, the other narrowed, the marred skin around it preventing it from opening fully. His grip on the railing in front of him was one of steel, his hands even more pale than they usually were.

A few ways behind him, stood a woman, dressed in comfortable, green attire, her own dark hair set in a bun even though various strands were falling in front of her eyes. She was leaning against the walls of the ship, her hands folded in front of her chest. She seemed to stare at the floor, unblinking. Other than the occassional tapping of her foot, she was as still as a small, pale boulder.

"Zuko," she drawled, and at once, the man standing by the railing turned his head to the side, his shoulders stiffening, growing impossibly tense. There was a beat of silence before she spoke up. "They aren't going to come quicker if you keep on staring at the sky."

"And what am I supposed to do?" he burst as he whirled around, both eyes narrowed as he glared at her. "I can't just sit back and wait like you do!"

She snorted, "How you govern a kingdom with such a temper is beyond me-"

"Toph I swear-"

"Oh, I'm so scared."

It was almost as if Zuko was about to breathe fire as Toph's lips curled into a smirk, but before the situation could get out of hand, he let out a deep breath, inhaled and then exhaled once more, his shoulders dropping in the process. He closed his eyes for a moment in an effort to calm himself down completely before he spoke up, his voice level.

"They must be getting close by now, that's all. I am anticipating their arrival."

"That's sweet of you," her smirk remained, "although Appa isn't going to fly faster because you are anxious."

Zuko shook his head, turned his attention on the horizon. "I wish he would."

Toph let out a scoff at his reply as she pushed herself off of the wall and moved over to him. She came to a stop only when she was beside him, not turning her face in his direction, instead resting her weight on the railing. Zuko turned around and mirrored her stance, just in time for her to speak up.

"I worry about them too, you know. But there's nothing we can do from here."

"I know," he breathed, "that doesn't prevent me from wondering what they are going through, though."

"They are tough, you know," she assured him, "and they won't hurt a baby. Sokka, Suki and Katara won't let them hurt her."

Zuko let out a deep sigh, his attention shifting back on the horizon. "I don't even want to think about it."

Toph frowned slightly and without a warning, she slammed her shoulder against his. If it were anywhere else, they would have screamed, yelled. Zuko, however, had gotten used to her random displays of 'affection' and wasn't quite surprised enough to call out at her assault. He only lost his footing for a while before he stabilised himself once more with a brief shake of his head. Without missing a beat, he reached over to lightly punch Toph's arm. She smiled.

"They have come."

Zuko's eyes widened as he leaned over to look up at the sky. It was clear, no sign of a sky bison around. He was about to question her, claim he wasn't seeing anything, when he heard Appa moan. The next moment, he had flown over his head and come to land on the deck. He rushed to reach them.

The crew moved away from the sky bison as he landed, and the moment his feet were on the ground, Aang was jumping off of him on the ship. The next moment, Tapeesa was leaving the saddle, coming to a stop next to Aang. The two of them exchanged a look before they started heading in the ship, but before they could, Zuko burst outside, Toph following a few ways away.

"We'll be reaching Kyoshi island in the next six days if the weather remains this way," he spoke before anyone else could, his steps authorative as he came to a stop in front of them. "How much time do we have until our friends are in danger?"

"Six days," Aang replied in a grave tone, his lips set in a thin line.

"We should get inside," Toph spoke, already heading back inside the ship. Tapeesa briefly spared a glance at Aang as she followed after her. Zuko and Aang were behind them soon enough, talking quickly, their tones not quite hushed but still not easily heard. From the snippets Tapeesa made out, she realised Zuko had asked him about his mission. Even though she heard her name in their conversation, she didn't say a word, only followed after Toph in silence. She led them in a room she could only guess was the meeting room and sat down at one of the seats. Tapeesa sat down beside her. The moment Aang and Zuko were seated as well, Toph spoke up.

"What exactly is happening?"

"They've been kidnapped for some reason they didn't tell me in their letter and they will only release them if I go to them in six days at most."

Aang's voice had been cold as he spoke, so much like Tapeesa's tone she had been bewildered when she had first heard him speak. Zuko's expression darkened as he leaned forward, resting his chin on his hands, deep in thought. Toph frowned as well as Tapeesa and Aang exchanged a long look. He looked away first and after a while, so did she.

"I will command the crew to make the ship move faster-"

"They can't make it move faster than this," Tapeesa cut in, her eyes raising to meet Zuko's as she realised she had interrupted him. "I know how ships move, my lord. This one can't possibly move any faster."

"There's no guarantee there isn't going to be a storm on our way, too," Toph pointed out and Tapeesa nodded firmly as she turned to face her.

"I can't sense a major disruption in the currents. A storm can be sudden, though."

"Taking the ship to go to Kyoshi island is risky," Aang spoke up, his gaze on the table. "I am going to take Appa and fly ahead."

"No," Zuko disagreed at once, his head snapping in his direction. "You will be walking into a trap."

"I'd rather I do than force our friends in such a dangerous situation any longer," he insisted, and when he looked up to meet Zuko's eyes, his expression was more determined than Tapeesa had ever seen. "I'm going to take Appa. He is quicker."

"No-"

"I will join him," Tapeesa spoke up, interrupting Zuko for the second time in a span of only a few minutes. He let out a small sound of frustration as he turned to face her and she ignored Aang's and Toph's attention on her as she met the Fire Lord's gaze. "I will make sure he is safe."

"I can do that on my own," Aang spoke, his voice still level, still detached as Tapeesa met his gaze. "I don't need your aid."

"No intelligent man ever turns down reinforcements," she retorted and for a moment, she thought the shadow of a smile crossed his lips before it was extinguished.

"Very well. We should go, then."

"No," Toph spoke up, her voice firm enough for Aang who had just attempted to stand up to retreat to his seat. "Leave tomorrow morning. You need to rest and so does Appa."

Aang seemed like he wanted to protest, his words dying in his throat and coming out as a sigh as he noticed Tapeesa opposite him nod her head in agreement at Toph's suggestion. Reluctantly, he nodded.

"Tomorrow, first thing in the morning."

He stood up the moment their plan was decided and Tapeesa briefly followed him with her eyes as he left until Toph's silent departure caught her eye. Toph followed after Aang, leaving her on her own with Zuko. She turned to him just as he stood up, his expression troubled. Still, he managed to look over at her and send her a slight smile before he gestured to her to sit up.

"Let me show you to your room for tonight."

She was quick to rise and follow after him, out of the room. The crew bowed or nodded their head in respect at the sight of their Fire Lord as they passed, walking side by side in silence. She made sure to remember where they were going as they walked, her gaze jumping over to him as he cleared his throat.

"I can trust you to ensure Aang doesn't do something he will regret." There was no response. Tapeesa kept looking straight ahead. Zuko frowned, turned his head to the side to look at her. "I can trust you. Isn't that right?"

"With all due respect, I doubt he would regret sacrificing himself for his friends."

"Either way, I can trust you to make sure he doesn't do something rush," he insisted, "you can keep him grounded."

"I can," she confirmed as she looked up. "I asked to join him so I could help him, ensure he remains safe during this mission. You can be certain, my Lord, I will try my best to protect him and your friends."

Zuko nodded, although he didn't appear any less anxious about the upcoming mission as he looked ahead. However, he didn't say another word, and so Tapeesa looked ahead as well and let the rest of their walk continue in complete and utter silence. It wasn't until they had reached her room that Zuko spoke, thanking her quietly for all she had done one final time before he left her to her own devices.

Tapeesa didn't leave her room. She asked for a member of the crew whether it was possible for them to bring her meal in her room and once the answer was affirmative, she slipped back in her room. She ate her meal a while later and that was it. She stayed inside, let her thoughts thrive in her head, used her last opportunity to be on her own as best as she could.

The hours passed, the sun set, night settled. Tapeesa still was awake, standing in front of the small mirror in her room, braiding her hair in numerous, intricate braids. She had almost finished when there was a soft knock on the door and then it was pushed open. Aang slipped his head inside and upon noticing she was awake, he invited himself in and closed the door behind him.

"I was wondering when you'd come," she murmured, her gaze on her hair. She knew by now Aang craved the presence of people. After all the weeks they had spent with each other, she had been certain he would come find her once before they were to leave. He had ended up visiting her later than she thought. She didn't mind.

"I wasn't sure you wanted me to come."

She finished the last of her braids and reached up to combine all braids in one bun, her eyes on him through the mirror. Ever since the night they had received the threatening letter, something about them had changed. Aang seemed to be more careful around her, their close proximity that night appearing to almost have scared him. Tapeesa didn't quite understand his reasons as she returned to treating him the way she always had been, even though part of her yearned for something different.

"Why wouldn't I?"

Aang shrugged, his eyes falling on the ground. There was a beat of silence as Tapeesa returned her attention on her hair and focused on making sure her bun was up to her standards. He spoke up soon enough. "You didn't need to suggest to come with me."

"It will set my mind at ease," she replied without missing a beat as she fixed her bun and let her hands fall back on her sides. "I know you don't need my help."

"You still volunteer yourself every time, though." He looked up, met her gaze, expression open, earnest. He swallowed, his lips feeling dry as she sent him a smile.

"I don't think you've ever wanted to complain about my presence."

Her attempt to lighten the mood wasn't quite successful. Instead, Aang walked forward, crossing the space between them, and her smile was slowly extinguished as he came to a stop behind her, so close she knew if only she leaned back, she would be touching his chest. His gaze didn't waver from her own once and so she didn't cower away, not even when his expression softened until he was sending her a smile through the mirror.

"Could it be you enjoy my company?"

The brow she raised was automatic and she had spoken up before she had even realised what she was saying, "Is that truly the time for you to question my motives?"

Surprisingly, his smile didn't falter. "Yes. I can't do anything to help my friends now and this has been on my mind for a while. I wasn't going to mention it. Not until I realised you would join me yet again."

It was perhaps the first time she was unable to hold his gaze. She looked down and turned around, her eyes downcast on his chest. "I told you why-"

"Who are you trying to fool?" he breathed and at once, she looked up. It was a grave mistake.

His gaze was softer than any other time, such fondness in his expression she was almost taken aback, his smile small although genuine nonetheless, and Tapeesa found herself wanting to shrink under his gaze. It seemed as if he knew, though. The moment she was about to look away, he raised a hand, lightly tilting her chin up to look at her properly. She found she could no longer look away.

"You might have never wanted this to happen but I see you, Tapeesa. I know you. I can already see everything. And you know me too. Can't you see it?"

She couldn't trust her voice to not waver and so she nodded her head, her eyes closing as he leaned in, lips brushing, a touch that was hardly there. They both seemed to freeze moments after it had happened, leaning back enough so their faces were no longer touching, close enough for Tapeesa to feel his breath hitting her lips. With her eyes still closed, she spoke.

"I can't bear the thought of anyone hurting you."

"I know," he murmured, "I realised a few days after I was kidnapped. I don't want to put you in danger."

"I won't be in danger," she shook her head as she opened her eyes and leaned back slightly to look at him properly. "And I really do think you can take care of yourself. But..."

Aang realised she wasn't going to speak unprompted. He didn't even hesitate as he leaned in to brush his lips against her own once more, whispering his question against them. "But?"

"We only have a few days."

I don't want to leave you.

He seemed to read in between the lines. He always did. And he only needed to look at her for a while before he leaned in once more, kissing her harder than before, bringing her close. Against him, Tapeesa melted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 176 28
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...
296K 9.8K 96
Water.... Earth... Fire... Air A long time ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. The skies were filled with life and the land with love, b...
6.9K 141 8
A hundred years ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. That changed, though, after Avatar Roku died and Fire Lord Sozin launched the Great...
894 37 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...