Honey and Spice | ✔️

By babbleduck

Bad boy, introverted nerd. Two boys, one Biology project. When a Biology project forces Ryder and Nathan tog... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue: The End Of the Beginning
Author's Note + Aesthetics
Q&A Special [Part 1]
Q&A Special [Part 2]
Character Art

Chapter 2

9.5K 329 462
By babbleduck

Ryder

Nick asks me after school one day, "Wanna come with me and Sin to the bubble tea shop?"

"Yeah, sure." I finish packing my things and hoist my bag on one shoulder.

The bubble tea shop is a small store behind our school that sells bubble tea and other snacks. Even though principal Dawson tells us not to go there since the residents in that area are annoyed that the students who frequent there are a public nuisance, we still go anyway. It's not like Nick, Sin and I run around screaming obscenities - I mean, we used to in grade 10 - we are civilized.

After buying our drinks, we take our seat at a nearby table. I slowly sip on my milk tea, saving the pearls for last.

"Guys, I have an announcement to make," Sinclair says after a while.

"You're pregnant?" I feign shock.

"Haha, hi-la-ri-ous."

"The sky is blue? The trees are green? Your eyes are red?" Nick asks wryly.

Sin rolls his eyes. "First of all, my eyes are crimson. Get that shit right. Secondly, no."

"You're gay?" I offer.

"And so are you," he says a little too loudly. "Anything else?"

I quickly look around to see if anyone overheard. Then I tell Sin, "Fuck you."

"Ah, but the thing is: you won't." Sin winks at me and I roll my eyes.

Nick chimes in, "You like Vahn!"

Sin blushes, then mumbles angrily, "I wanted to be the one to say that, damn it. How d'you know?"

I reach across the table and stroke his cheek with one hand. "Sinclair." I take a sip. "Sin." Another sip. "Sin Chair." Another sip.

"Yes, Ry-chan?"

I take an extra-long sip for effect. "When it comes to having feelings for someone, Chair, being subtle about it is not in your capability."

He pulls away, vexed. "Bullshit. And also don't call me 'Chair.'"

"I do what I want." I shrug.

"It's true though," Nick says. "You're bad at hiding your feelings, man."

Sin looks offended. "I am not! I can win an Oscar for hiding my feelings, y'know?"

I snort. "Stop it, your delusional ass is killing me. Anyway, it's so obvious you like him, bro, you always find excuses to be near him and you punch his arm a lot."

"What's wrong with punching his arm?" Sin asks, finishing his brown sugar milk tea.

"Feels gay," Nick says vaguely. "And also, he might suffer from permanent nerve damage or something,"

"C'mon guys, I'm being serious here!" Sin throws his arms up in frustration.

"To be honest, he's kinda hot," I muse.

He is. Vahn is a tall, stoic, hunky guy with intense brown eyes that pierce into your soul and leaves you stammering, sweating and a blushing mess. He has short dark brown hair that he constantly runs his fingers through. He rarely talks but when he does, his voice is as deep as the Grand Canyon and velvety-smooth like melted chocolate. Vahn joined Fernwood High last year in the middle of Semester 2 and Sinclair couldn't stop looking at him. Honestly, I don't find it surprising that Sin has fallen for Vahn, literally the whole school has.

Sin reaches across the table to muss my hair. "Thank you, Ryder,"

"You guys are weird!" Nick says, furrowing his thick black eyebrows.

I say to Nick, "Okay, Brick," and turn to Sin, "Just tell him how you feel, man, it's already been a few months now." Nick flicks his drink in my direction in annoyance, bits of condensation landing on my arm and I flip him off. Sinclair looks down and blushes profusely. Then, Nick nudges me, tilts his head towards Sin and winks.

"Oh hey, Vahn!" he suddenly exclaims and waves in Sin's general direction. Sinclair's head whips up, face tomato red and starts stammering. He is seriously flustered, it's kind of cute.

"'Sup, Vahn, sit with us." I gesture to the seat beside Sin. Sin hiccups and covers his face, his ears reddening as well. Oh my God, it's so hilarious, so, since I can't hold it in anymore, I begin to laugh. Nick snickers beside me. Sin looks up at us and turns around, checking to see if Vahn is behind him. Realising that he's not there, he whips around to face us, glaring. Nick doubles over, laughing so much that he starts to cry.

"You- You dipshits!" Sinclair sprays us with condensation from his drink. My sides are hurting from laughing too much. Sin struggles to maintain a scornful look which makes Nick and I laugh even harder. This is probably the first time in months I have laughed. It feels good, I guess, besides the obvious pain in my sides. 

*

I pin up my fringe and tuck the rest of my hair behind my ears. I should start cutting my hair. It's not exactly long but it's just past my chin. Nick told me one time that I looked like Kevin from Ben 10. After searching him up, I realised that I kinda look like him; hair, body - sans the weird goth clothes - and even the same hostile eyes, and I made a mental note to stop looking at people like that. I touch my hair, running my fingers through it. It seems like too much effort to cut it now.

I should grow my hair until it reaches past my ass and tie it into a crazy good braid - if I know how to - and use it to whack Derek's ugly face. I smile at the thought.

While I wait for the water to boil, I open my group chat that consists of Sin, Nick and I - because I'm closer to them. (Nick named the group chat Danny DeCheeto as a joke but it's too good to change it now.)  I find that Sinclair sent some pictures. I open them and what the cursed shit? They're pictures of Vahn.

Sin: Vahn looks so hot here!!

Me: Bro that's creepy as hell

Me: Where'd you even get these pics? 

Sin: I have my sources

Nick: Bruh my stalker meter's registering in the red zone rn

Me: Just confess to him already

Me: But don't tell him about the pics 

Sin: What if he isn't gay?

I can hear his exasperation through his text.

Nick: You won't know if you don't try

Wise. The water starts bubbling. I get up and put in the noodles. After making my extra-spicy pancit canton (filipino instant noodles) I return to my table to eat. When I check Danny DeCheeto again, the conversation has changed course.

Sin: U wouldn't understand Nick

Sin: Coz ur a top

Nick: I'm neither

Sin: Well u would be anyway

Me: Lmao bottom boy problems?

Sin: Yessir!!! I'M A BOTTOM AND I'M PROUD!!!

This earns a small laugh from me. Sin is totally a bottom, just by the way he completely flusters when Vahn is around. Honestly, I can't see him making the first move, he'd probably be too shy or embarrassed to. I, on the other hand, don't know what I am. I haven't even had a boyfriend yet, and I don't know how a relationship works (sad, right?). Sin told me that I would be a top ("You very much radiate top energy." He told me). Well, I'll see.

Nick: Whatever bro

Nick: Just tell Vahn you like him

Nick: This is our last year together, might as well tell him while you can

Me: Go big or go home bro

I'm not quite fully sure of what it means, but it seems appropriate anyway.

Sin: Yes Nick-sama and Ry-chan

Sin: I'll try my best

I honestly want them to be together, they would look so cute. Did I mention their height difference? Sin's maximum height is only a little below Vahn's shoulders. Vahn is like a hulking giant, and Sinclair a little gnome beside him. I can imagine how cute their hugs and kisses would be. Then, a sudden wave of loneliness floods my core. I feel even lonelier than I am right now, but I try to shake that feeling away.

My time will come, right?

Uh, yeah, I sure hope it does.

_______________________

A/n: Hi guys!! Hope yall are liking this story so far:) The first few chapters are going to be boring of course, so bear with me. BUTTTT I promise it's gonna get better as you go! ;) rmb to vote n comment! Thank youuu:))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.5K 2.3K 30
Toby Wentworth's life is a clusterfuck. For a lot of reasons. And one of them just happens to be the fact that he is very gay, and also so far in the...
58.9K 1.7K 30
"I hate you - so much Tripp." More confusion because, once more, wasn't this a good thing? "Why did you have to say that? What if," A little quieter...
1.8M 64.6K 47
[ boy x boy ] Ethan Ryder wasn't planning on moving to a new town just before starting his final year at high school. He wasn't planning on leaving...
127K 3.5K 33
Nathan's life: school, work, secrets, and survival. Ryder's life: soccer, friends, awesomeness, and his mom's annoying attempts to set him up. Nathan...