On Top//Topper Thornton

By stephie177

Ashlynn Cameron was born a Kook but she is a Pogue through and through. A beach brawl seems to send Ash's Pog... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three

eleven

4.9K 70 20
By stephie177

I'm halfway out the door when Sarah stops me. "I need your help."

"With what?" I ask.

"Just come on," Sarah says.

I follow her into Dad's office. John B is sitting on the couch. I turn to Sarah. "What?"

Sarah hands me some first aid stuff. "He's your friend."

I take the stuff as I walk over to John B. "What did you do, JB?"

"I was trying to get away from Cheryl and I kind of stole a bike and then crashed it," John B explains.

"He yeeted himself over a chain," Sarah tells me.

I laugh as I shake my head. "At least you didn't rob a bank. You didn't rob a bank right?" John B gives me a look. I look down at his shirt and see blood. "You really did a number on yourself." John B smiles slightly. "Lift up your shirt."

"Okay." John B does as I say.

"That's gotta be disinfected." I put some rubbing alcohol on a gauze pad.

"Wait, is that rubbing alcohol?" John B asks.

"Yes. It's the only way to be safe. Okay, close your eyes. On the count of three." John B sighs. "Ready? One, two..."

"Two..." John B repeats.

I put the rubbing alcohol on the cut and he screams.

Sarah covers his mouth with her hand. "Shh! Are you kidding me? My God."

"Sorry," John B says.

"Never heard anyone whine like that before." I clean off the cut.

John B groans. "Stop." He hits my hand.

I give him a look. "Excuse you."

"Sorry. Sorry," John B says.

I keep cleaning the cut. "I'll make you sorry."

"Who, uh... who's the dude on the wall?" John B asks.

"Oh, it's Denmark Tanny, founder of Tannyhill," Sarah explains.

John B exhales. "Founder?"

I nod my head. "Mm-hm."

"So, how did a slave found a cotton plantation?" John B asks.

"He was a free man. He's kind of a mystery. He showed up out of nowhere and paid for all of the land around here in gold," I explain.

"In gold?" John B asks.

"Mm-hm." I nod. John B stands up. "Hey, wh... I'm not finished, JB," I tell him.

"Denmark Tanny." John B pulls a paper from his backpack. "I... I recognize that name. He... he was on the Royal Merchant. But there was no survivors." John B turns to me. "What else do you know about this guy?"

"When we first moved in, we found a diary, an almanac, a bunch of papers." I put a band aid over his cut. "Our dad donated all of it to the state archives at Chapel Hill," I explain.

"Can I go see that?" John B asks.

"See what?" I question.

"The... the archives. I need... I need to see them," John B tells me.

"I mean, I can get you in if you want. He's got a trustee pass," I offer.

John B nods. "Yeah, yeah. I need that."

"To Chapel Hill?" I ask.

"Yes. Right now," John B tells me.

"Why now?" Sarah asks.

This has to be about the gold.

"I... I can't tell you that," John B says.

"More fugitive stuff?" Sarah asks.

"Uh... fugitive adjacent, sort of. It's, um... it's a matter of national security," John B says.

"I've just waited my entire life for someone to say that to me," Sarah teases.

"Look... God. I know this sounds crazy, but I really need to borrow that pass. The less you know, the better. Okay? You've just-- you've gotta trust me," John B insists.

Sarah shakes her head. "No. I don't trust anyone. Especially not with a trustee pass."

"I need to go now," John B states.

"Okay, then I'm coming with you," Sarah tells him.

"No," John B says. He turns to me. "Please, Ash, I really need to borrow that pass."

I smile. "Sure. You two seem pretty friendly. You can borrow the pass so long as Sarah goes with you."

"Why can't I go with you?" John B asks.

"I got plans," I tell him.

"One last mission, and then I'm out of this dirty, dirty game," Sarah remarks.

I slap John B on his cut. "You two have fun now."

I drag Kie to a few of the shops in town. With the hunt for the gold over I don't really have much to do. Topper has been distant lately and I feel like it's all my fault. I kinda just want to clear my head for a while.

I hold up a white halter top. "What about this?"

Kie smiles. "It's cute."

I toss it at her. "It'll look better on you."

Kie chuckles. "I wonder what the boys are up to."

I shake my head. "I don't. JJ is probably breaking some law and Pope is probably at his dad's shop."

"Since you know everything, what's John B doing?" Kie questions.

"That I'm not as sure about." I smile through the lie. "For all I know he's still not over the gold being gone."

Kie laughs as she holds up a pink mini dress. "This is horrendous."

I take it from her. "I love it."

"Speaking of... Have you talked to Topper?" Kie asks.

I shake my head. "I plan on seeing him tonight. I think he's going to the movie with Rafe and Kelce."

Kie nods her head. "Well if that Kook breaks your heart I'll break his leg," Kie threatens.

I laugh lightly as I shake my head. "If he breaks my heart a broken leg will be least of his problems."

Kie and I are dragging Pope and JJ to the summer movie series. "I'm so glad that they're still doing this. Keep calm. Carry on. Back to OBX life. You know? Aren't you glad Ash and I made you come?" Kiara asks.

"Ecstatic," Pope replies.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest," JJ states.

"We're out of the green zone, man," Pope whispers.

"Dude, tranquilo, okay?" JJ tells him.

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia. This is the last place I wanted to be," Pope states.

"You two can set up, I'm going to get drinks," I state. I walk over to one of the venders. "Hey, uh... can I get two Pepsis, please?"

The man smiles at me. "Sure."

"Hey, Ashlynn." Rafe is walking towards me. "Hey, what's up? How are you?"

I give him a look. "I'm fine."

"Good, good," Rafe says.

I look at my brother suspiciously. "What is your problem dude?"

"Um... Tell your boy that we know what he did," Rafe states.

"Sorry, what boy are you talking about?" I point to Topper who is standing by Kelce. "'Cause my boy is right over there and you know that, Rafe."

"Uh, he'll know," Rafe tells me. I turn to walk away. "Bye."

"Douche," I say.

I walk back over to where the guys and Kie are. "Just saw Rafe, and he said, and I quote, 'Tell your boy that we know what he did.'"

Kie looks at me confused. "What is that?"

"Um... Where is he?" JJ asks.

I turn to look over my shoulder where Rafe is with Topper and Kelce. "Right there."

Pope stares at them. "Great, the whole death squad. Ah!"

JJ grabs Pope by the head and turns him around. "Don't stare, bro. Just warning you, bro. If they corner me, I'm coming out swinging, okay? Slice and dicin'. I'm on edge right now."

Pope nods. "Yeah, yeah."

"If that doesn't work, I got this right here. Okay?" JJ holds up his backpack.

"Yeah, yeah. So, we just gotta stay in the group. They can't get us in the group," Pope states.

"Like a school of fish," JJ offers.

"Stay in the school. Can't leave the school," Pope states.

"I'm sorry, JJ... Please tell me that you did not bring a gun here. JJ, there are kids," Kie reminds him.

"No! Kie, I didn't bring the gun. Everything's fine, okay?" JJ tells her.

"Wow, thank you. That's really convincing. I love that, JJ." Kie pauses for a moment. "Founding principle, you guys. No secrets amongst Pogues. What is Rafe talking about?"

"Kie, it might go down tonight," Pope tells her.

"What does that mean? 'Might go down tonight.' What did y'all do?"I ask.

"Deny, deny, deny," JJ whispers to Pope.

We sit and watch the movie in peace for a while. That's until Pope decides he has to pee.

"Gotta take a piss," Pope whispers.

"Hold it," I tell him.

"I can't hold it. I drank too much soda," Pope tells me.

"It's too exposed. They'll totally see us," JJ warns.

"I gotta go." Pope turns to look back at Rafe and Topper. "They're blocking the bathrooms."

JJ starts to get up. "Come here. I know where."

"Hey, where y'all going?" Kie asks.

"We gotta wring it out," JJ tells her.

"You gonna hold it for each other?" Kie asks.

I shake my head as they walk away. "We need new friends."

I go back to watching the movie but it doesn't last long. I can see people fighting behind the screen. Kie grabs the backpack and we run over together.

I try to push Kelce off of JJ while Kie tries to get Rafe off Pope.

"Let go of him, Kelce!" I shout.

Topper grabs me and pulls me off of Kelce. He holds onto me by the waist.

"Let me go Topper!" I shout.

"This isn't about you," Topper tells me.

"Please just stop them, Topper," I almost beg. "Kelce. Stop it!"

"Just stay out of this," Topper tells me.

I keep trying to get out of his grip. Suddenly the screen behind us is up in flames.

"Guys! Fire!" Topper shouts.

I yell at Kelce. "Kelce, let go of JJ!"

Pope starts to cough as Rafe lets him go. Kelce does the same with JJ.

"Let's get outta here," Rafe says.

Without warning Topper throws me over his shoulder. He starts to walk away from my friends and his.

"Topper put me down," I protest. He just ignores me. "Topper, come on I have legs I can walk myself."

Topper finally puts me down in the parking lot. I cross my arms over my chest pissed at Topper and his friends.

"Come one," Topper takes a set of keys out of his pocket, "I drove." I don't move. "Come on, Ashlynn."

"Shouldn't we discuss what the hell just happened?" I remark.

"We are. Just not here," Topper tells me. "Just get in the car and we'll talk."

I don't say anything as I get in Topper's car. He does the same getting in the driver's seat. Instead of starting the car he just looks at me.

"So is this some kind of war now?" I question.

"Those Pogues..." Topper starts.

I cut him off, "Those Pouges are my friends, Topper."

"Your friends sunk my boat," Topper tells me.

I look at Topper surprised. "What?"

"Yeah your friends decided to get back at Rafe by sinking my boat. My mom is pissed. It's gonna cost 25 grand to fix it," Topper tells me

"I'm sorry that you had to get involved. Rafe shouldn't have beat the crap out of Pope though," I counter.

"Maybe JJ shouldn't have held a gun to my head in the first place," Topper counters.

I sigh as I put my head in my hands. "Everything was so much easier when we were kids. Kooks and Pogues argued but Rafe almost killed Pope over a boat. A boat, Top." I look over at Topper. "Why didn't you stop him?" Topper doesn't say anything. "Is Pope's life really worth less than your boat."

"I was angry," Topper tells me. "And... And I just didn't want you to get involved."

"So instead my friends get the shit kicked out of them and I have to watch," I counter.

"I'm sorry Ash. I just... I wasn't thinking," Topper admits. "I was just so angry."

I chuckle slightly. "You don't say." I grab Topper's hand. "Let's go somewhere. The beach. For a drive. Anywhere to get your mind off of this."

Topper nods. "Okay."

I smile. "Okay."

The next day I head to Heyward's with Kie and JJ. We hang around as Pope works.

"Don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us. That's typical Kook shit right there," JJ remarks.

"Hell, yeah," Kie agrees.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asks.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct. Alright, I was a cornered animal," Pope explains.

Heyward walks towards Pope. "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you."

Deputy Shoupe walks in the front door.

"Evening, Officer," Pope says.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property," Shoupe tells Pope.

"What?" Heyward asks.

Pope looks at JJ.

Hands where I can see 'em," Shoupe instructs. Kie stands in front of Pope. "Young lady, out of my way."

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asks.

"Look at the warrant," Shoupe tells him.

"You're arresting him?" Kie asks.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward questions.

"Be careful!" Kie shouts.

"Shoupe, are you listening?" Heyward asks.

Shoupe is reading Pope his rights as he handcuffs him, "...you say can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ questions.

Shoupe starts to lead Pope out of Heyward's. We follow after him. When we get to the squad car everyone stops.

"It wasn't him!" JJ shouts. I look at him in shock. "It was me. He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ looks at Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope questions.

"I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat, too," JJ states.

"What the hell?" Heyward asks.

"JJ, come on," Pope starts.

"Just shut up, Pope!" JJ shouts. "Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."

Shoupe nods. "Yeah."

"This was all me," JJ states.

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asks.

"Whole truth, swear to God," JJ insists.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope here," Shoupe says.

Pope looks at JJ for a moment before responding. "Yeah, that about covers it."

Shoupe takes the handcuffs off of Pope and places them on JJ. JJ nods at me letting me know he's gonna be okay. They pull away and Pope throws his hat on the ground. "Shit!"

"Pope? Pope!" His father calls after him.

I stand out front of Heyward's not knowing what to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 64 26
|| book one of one || "i love you and i'm not gonna let him hurt you again!" brooklynn was a kook who was in a very toxic relationship with none othe...
257K 2.7K 62
Storm Miracle McKay planned on having a good time with her friends over summer break. Things don't always turn out the way Pogues plan it though. A h...
2.7K 8 35
River isn't the type of girl who goes looking for a boyfriend. But, on the first day of summer back in the Outer Banks since the year before, a boy c...
6.1K 53 12
Rebecca Maybank has a crappy life. Her father is always drunk and abusive towards her and her brother, and the two siblings almost never see eye-to-e...