Masked Attraction

By taylorcelanturxx

Emma Barnes is a shy sophomore with a predictable life. Struggling with anxiety and focusing on her parent's... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Kappa Alpha Society
Chapter 2: He Won't Fall For It
Chapter 3: Your Fate Is Sealed
Chapter 4: Oops
Chapter 5: Dancing
Chapter 6: You're On
*Characters*
Chapter 7: I'll Just Add Myself
Chapter 8: I Lied
Chapter 9: You Always Eat My Pizza
Chapter 10: Bashy
Chapter 11: He's Only Cute if I'm Drunk
Chapter 12: I Can Sing Better Than the Band
Chapter 13: Doritos
Chapter 14: Girlfriend?
Chapter 15: I Can Totally Pull Off a Mustache
Chapter 16: Barista
Chapter 17: Model Emergency
Chapter 18: Man Spreading
Chapter 19: Flavor
Chapter 20: Out of Your League
*Pictures*
Chapter 21: Movers
Chapter 22: Mini Castle
Chapter 23: She's a Little Scary
Chapter 24: Steam Coming Out of Her Ears
Chapter 25: Kiss Me
Chapter 26: Munchkins and Midterms
Chapter 27: Sebastien John Reed
Chapter 28: Wrong Feelings
Chapter 29: Mushy Gushy
Chapter 30: Scream Music
Chapter 31: Big Bad Wolf
Chapter 32: Good and Dandy
Chapter 33: Pancakes
Chapter 35: Slacker Cookies
Chapter 36: Turkey
Chapter 37: Victor
Chapter 38: Did That Happen?
Chapter 39: On A Break
Chapter 40: Dumplings
Chapter 41: Strike
Chapter 42: I'll Bite You Too
Chapter 43: The Grinch
Chapter 44: Me, Myself & I
*Extra Pictures*
Chapter 45: Everything Okay?
Chapter 46: Old Sellers
Chapter 47: Deathtrap
Chapter 48: Bubble Bath
Chapter 49: Boy Toy
Chapter 50: Masked
Chapter 51: Attraction
Chapter 52: Everybody Knows
Chapter 53: You are Crazy
Chapter 54: Striped & Solids
Chapter 55: Goodbye
Chapter 56: Dragon Tattoo
Chapter 57: Engaged
Chapter 58: Bewitched
Chapter 59: Parents
Epilogue
THANK YOU NOTE <3

Chapter 34: Karaoke Night

6K 163 10
By taylorcelanturxx

Friday

My stats lecture is done and I can finally relax. Luka is on my side packing up his books as Jess's name starts flashing on my caller id. I click on "answer" and her voice streams out.

"I got bad news," she says.

"Uh-oh, what happened?" I ask putting my hand over my other ear to hear her closely.

"So Jared finally found a karaoke night at the local comedy club tonight," she tells me with a groan.

I smirk. "Oh my gosh, he did? That's great, I bet he is beyond ecstatic," I reply.

"I don't think you understood the bad news part of the sentence when I said karaoke night," she retorts and I laugh ignoring her irritation. "Well since you think this is so funny, I am forcing you to suffer with me and go."

Luka stares at me, raising an eyebrow. I quickly whisper to him "Jared karaoke night" hoping he understands and put the phone back to my ear.

"Alright," I say mildly rolling my eyes. "But I am not singing."

"Neither am I. We can be totally lame together," she answers back jokily.

"Sounds like a plan," I say with a giggle. We hang up and Lukas starts to walk to his class.

"See you later!" I wave and then stop to grab a sandwich from the campus deli. I get a text from Ray offering to pick both me and Becky up on the way for tonight. In the meantime, I cram in some reading at my dorm.

Later in the evening, Ray shows up at our door knocking. Becky is oddly silent, sitting on the bed unmoving.

Slightly bewildered at her behavior, I walk over and swing the door open.

"Hey girlie!" Ray says and then turns towards Becky appearing more somber, "Hey Becks." Becky nods her head and I can feel the growing tension between the two.

"Let's go Emma," Becky tells me standing up and walks ahead. I awkwardly pick up my shoulder bag and slowly follow them both out.

I glance between the two of them and then clear my throat. "So, karaoke? I am surprised Jared found a place."

"Of course he did. I bet he bribed the owner or something," Ray responds in jest. I attempt a smile and glance at Becky who avoids eye contact with us both. Completely confused at whatever is happening, I climb into the backseat keeping my mouth shut. The car ride is filled with rap music and more awkward silence as I twiddle my thumbs and try not to think about not having pizza night with Bash.

Once we arrive, I all but run over to everyone else in the ambient-lit room. I catch Jared already on stage talking to the DJ waving his hands enthusiastically. Jess is on a velvet couch happily chatting with Luka and a girl who looks somewhat familiar.

"Hi, I am Vanessa," the short girl offers a smile as I approach giving me a small wave.

"Emma, hi" I reply waving back and sit onto Jess's side.

Vanessa, as in the girl Luka is dating, seems super sweet. She's very pretty as well, the led lights in the room amplifying her heart-shaped face. She just is about to ask me about my classes before Jared's voice starts echoing through the microphone.

"Once upon a time not so long ago..." His deep voice starts belting out to Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi. He is surprisingly not bad and the rest of us cheer with him. When he finishes he hops down from the stage meandering back towards our group. Loading up on some appetizers, Jamie and Jeremy arrive.

"Hey everyone!"

"Hey!" Everyone chimes back to Jamie. I start catching up with Jamie about her Greek Life. In the back of my mind, I notice Ray and Becky remaining mostly quiet all night. Too absorbed by Jamie and her eccentric storytelling I briefly forget about it and we all order a second round of food. Out of the blue, Ray stands up.

"I am sorry we have to leave," she exclaims clearly distraught. "Emma would you be able to get a ride?"

"Of course! I'll see you?" I say almost in a question-like tone and they abruptly walk away.

"Want us to drive you back?" Jeremy offers.

"Yes thank you," I whisper back grateful.

I stare after the two of them as they grow farther and farther away. Something is clearly wrong and I am sure I am not the only one who noticed. Jared being Jared ignoring the weirdness randomly starts begging Jess to go sing Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

"Come on Jessica, pretty please."

She laughs mirthlessly, "Nope".

He turns to me but not even giving him a chance to ask I say a stern "No" shaking my head. No way in hell am I going to go up there in front of people. I cannot manage that kind of spotlight on me.

"I'll go!" Luka says happily and goes up with him instead. They sing Despacito failing miserably, missing nearly all the words but it is the absolute highlight of the night. Jamie whips out her phone recording it sneakily.

"Great blackmail," Jamie confesses to me. "You never know when you need it."

After finishing, they both sit back down and Jess gives Jared a quick peck. After a few more couples and stragglers sing some more my eyes start to sag. Jamie yawns in agreement.

"Ready to go?" Jamie voices groggily so I nod. Once I am back safely into my dorm, I slide into my bed. The light is already off with Becky fast asleep. I make it a point in my point that I need to ask what was going on between her and Ray before I drift off.

***

The next day, Becky sneaks out bright and early, so I go to lunch with Luka.

"I finished my application for the internship!" I tell him proud of myself.

"Nice! Good luck! I hope I get it," Luka informs me.

"Yeah, it will look great for the resume. But I am kind of nervous about the whole doing rounds and interacting with all the patients," I confide to him.

"Nah, I am excited! You'll have to get used to that if you become a doctor," he states giving me a knowing look. "It will be really good for us both."

"Mhmm" I mumble still uneasy.

"I really need experience. I have no connections or contacts anywhere. I can't get any help from my parents. I love them, but they know little to nothing about how intense the process of getting into medical school is," he says.

"Oh, but that's what college and professors are for. You have to find a mentor."

"Yeah but when you know people beforehand you already get a head-start," he says his eyebrows scrunching up in stress.

I consider my dad's surgeon friends he has over every couple of years and who send huge checks on my birthday. I guess that does give me an advantage since they know my name.

"You'll meet people. How could you not? You're great," I say comfortingly.

"Thanks Emma. I don't normally talk too much about this stuff, because I don't come from money. I am um, on a scholarship."

"Really? Wow, that's so impressive!" I say earnestly.

His eyebrow arches. "Huh, weird. I consider it showing my weaknesses. Like that I can't even afford to be here otherwise," he confesses.

"I don't think anyone can actually afford college. Don't feel bad."

"I'm sure you could," he retorts with a hint of jealousy.

"My parents can yeah, but at what expense to my relationship with them?"

He pauses. "What do you mean?" He asks puzzled.

"Um, never mind it's nothing. It's just money truly isn't everything," I reply shortly.

"I guess, but it sure is convenient wouldn't you say?" He remarks teasingly his eyes twinkling.

I roll my eyes. "Stop being such a wise ass."

His hand flies to his mouth. "You cursed! Oh my gosh! Emma curses! Who would have thought!"

"Oh shut up," I reply withholding a smile.

***

*Author's note*
Don't forget to vote, thank you ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 40.7K 53
Emma has sworn never to fall in love, but when circumstances force her to move in with her brother's best friend there are definite sparks. Like when...
1.8M 40.1K 60
[18+] ENEMIES TO LOVERS SPORTS ROMANCE. °•°•°•° Hannah Walker doesn't trust anyone, especially men. They're manipulative and toxic - her lousy ex tau...
150K 5.5K 47
In which two competitive culinary students get under each other's skin in all the right ways. * * * ʙᴏɪʟɪɴɢ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ (ɴᴏᴜɴ): ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴏʀ...
1.2K 70 33
Two lost souls. Finding each other. Finding themselves. Luna is a sophomore in college with a group of friends that have become family to her, and to...