Draco Malfoy And The Sorcerer...

By Storiesliveinsideus

Rated PG for light swearing. This is Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, but it focuses on Draco Malfoy's... More

Chapter One: The Manor
Chapter Two: Diagon Alley
Chapter Three: The Wise And The Stupid
Chapter Four: The Boy Who Lived
Chapter Five: The Sorting
Chapter Seven: The Set Up
Chapter Eight: Halloween
Chapter Nine: Quidditch
Chapter Ten: Christmas Break
Chapter Eleven: The Weakest Link
Chapter Twelve: The Dragon
Chapter Thirteen: Detention
Chapter Fourteen: What Makes A Hero?
Draco and the Chamber of Secrets is out

Chapter Six: The Smart, The Famous, and The Gifted

469 24 10
By Storiesliveinsideus

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

Navigating the halls of Hogwarts was a difficult task to say the least. The staircases moved, the surroundings changed, and Peeves the poltergeist was always ready to make a scene, distracting first years and causing mayhem. However, for a certain blonde boy named Draco Malfoy, finding his way around the castle was easier than it was for most. He had read Hogwarts: A History hundreds of times, and was as much prepared as any first year could be. Of course, his basis of knowledge didn't fully protect him from wandering down the wrong hall every once in a while.

On his first day, Draco managed to find himself in a small rickety corridor when he was trying to visit Niklaus at the Owlery. He stopped to look at a coat of armor that looked... off, when Peeves jumped out from inside of it and chased him all the way down, past the Great Hall all while throwing chalk pieces and screaming obscenities. It was quite a spectacle that left quite a few students laughing as Draco ran across the courtyard trying to get Peeves off his tail.

Draco had a great hunger for knowledge, and although he would never admit it to Crabbe and Goyle, he loved all of his classes. A few times a week they got to visit the greenhouse to learn about magical plants and their purposes for their Herbology lesson. Once a week they got to stay up way past curfew and chart the stars in the night sky at midnight for Astronomy. Their History of Magic classes were thought of as boring by most, but Draco enjoyed hearing the stories of famous witches and wizards, the triumphs and defeats of war, the injustices that non-human beings faced. He found it even more curious and delightful that it was taught by the ghost of the old professor who had apparently woken up dead one day, but continued to teach without even noticing he had died.

Transfigurations was one of the more exciting classes, as they were already practicing basic magic, which Draco had no trouble succeeding in. He had been the only one in his Slytherin class who had been able to perfectly turn a match into a needle by the end of class. However, Professor McGonagall did not seem very impressed to Draco's dismay. He had brought her his perfect needle with a huge grin to which she responded "It's passable Mr. Malfoy," before lecturing them about doing better to meet her expectations.

Charms was eventful as well, similar to Transfigurations, but Professor Flitwick was a short cheerful man who was easily excited and pleased with his students. He was definitely the kind of teacher who made you feel good about yourself.

Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Quirrell was interesting to say the least. On one hand, the subject matter was great, but Professor Quirrell somehow managed to suck the fun out of what was supposed to be one of the best classes. He was a stuttering anxious fraud in Draco's eyes. And he, Crabbe, and Goyle would sit in the back and ask Professor Quirrell specific questions about his encounters with zombies, vampires, and such until his face would go completely red with embarrassment.

"Just leave him alone, Draco," Daphne muttered as they walked out of Quirrell's class and towards the Great Hall for lunch.

"Why should he?" Pansy responded with her nose in the air, "If we are going to learn defensive magic, it should be from someone who knows what they are doing, right Draco?" She looked at him with wide eyes, hoping for approval.

"You never get after Crabbe and Goyle, why do you care about him anyways?" Draco muttered under his breath.

"That's because you're smarter than them," Daphne continued, "and it's not so much that I care about him, but you know better than to leave a bad impression with a teacher. Doesn't your father know him personally?"

Draco turned to her. "Look," he said, "I'll be more careful, but honestly I don't need to be. I'm Draco Malfoy." And with a cocky wink and a smile he ran to catch up with Crabbe and Goyle who were sniggering over an ugly cartoonish drawing of Professor Quirrell.

Pansy stared after Draco blushing profusely. "Oh come on!" Daphne said at the sight of her lovestruck friend. She grabbed her and dragged her off to lunch.

Friday was an important day for Draco. He finally had potions with Professor Snape, and not even the fact that the Gryffindors would be taking it with them could ruin it. This was the class he had most been looking forward to, and it was vital that he make a good impression on Professor Snape who would, no doubt, be watching him like a hawk.

Draco sauntered down to the Great Hall breakfast with the other Slytherin first years, alert as ever, and ready to start his day. He poured himself a cup of pumpkin juice just as the owls came souring in with the mail.

"Oi, isn't that your bird?" asked Goyle.

Draco turned and saw Niklaus gracefully flying towards him with a sizable amount of mail. He perfected the landing and looked around nosily to see if the other birds had noticed the sheer amount he had managed to carry flawlessly. Draco stroked the bird's head, and then untied the sizable package and the daily paper.

Draco tossed aside the paper and picked up the letter attached to the package. It was from his mom. At first, Draco looked around in embarrassment, worried that he may look weak, but happily noticed most of the other students had received mail of some kind from their parents.

My Darling Draco,

Your father and I miss you dearly, and we know that you are working hard to become a fine young wizard who will bring honor and pride to this family. I hope you are catching the eye of your professors, and performing well in all your classes. You know your father used to be a prefect, and I am sure if you study hard and put in the effort you could do it too. Remember that you can always go to Snape if you have any questions or problems.

Love always, Mom

At the end of the parchment there was also a note from his father.

Draco,

Befriend the Potter boy. He could be a good person to know.

Lucius Malfoy

Draco sucked in a breath of air. He knew that his parents would want him to befriend Harry and that's why he tried to do it on the train, but they didn't know how insufferable and unaware he was. Surely it was not in the best interest of their family to befriend blood traitors, and Harry was definitely one.

Draco put his father's note out of his mind and opened the package. It was filled with all kinds of sweets. Draco grabbed a couple of the chocolate frogs and stuffed them in his pocket. He loved chocolate, and also enjoyed collecting the famous witch or wizard cards that came with them. He then pushed the box to the center of the table.

"Here take some sweets," he said with a smile. "They are from my mom." Pansy, Daphne, Crabbe, Goyle, and several other Slytherins passed the box around helping themselves to the treats, when Blaise spoke.

"Draco you may want to take a look at this paper," he said, handing over the paper he had borrowed when Draco had tossed it aside.

Draco looked and immediately saw what Blaise was looking at.

"'GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown. Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day. "But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon'" (Excerpt from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling).

"Blaise," Draco spoke. "correct me if I'm wrong, but Gringotts has never been broken into before."

"Yup," Blaise answered, giving Draco a meaningful look and then going back to his porridge.

Pansy and Daphne looked around nervously. "You don't suppose they'll come back and steal our family money do you?" Asked Pansy.

"You think someone would be crazy enough to break into Gringotts just for some money? Nuh-uh, they were after something more important than that," said Blaise.

"It could be someone who is really desperate for money," said Daphne. "Maybe they were suspected of dark magic and can't get a job."

Draco shook his head, "I'm with Blaise on this one," he spoke. "If someone wanted money they would be better off robbing someone's home. This is more serious than that."

The four of them exchanged uncertain glances as Crabbe and Goyle continued to stuff their face with sweets. Daphne turned to Draco. "You know who you should ask? Your father. He always knows what is going on and is highly influential in the Ministry."

Draco groaned, as he wasn't prepared to write back so fast, but he knew she was right and grabbed a bit of parchment from his bag. He quickly scribbled a letter back to his parents.

Dear Mum and Dad,

Thank you so much for the sweets. I am doing well in all of my classes, and today I finally have potions with Professor Snape. I will make sure to work extra hard for his class.

I am sure, no doubt, that you have heard of the Gringotts break in that took place on July 31st. It seems quite curious and surprising. Do you guys happen to know who broke in, and what they were after?

Draco

Draco tied the message to Niklaus' leg and gave him a piece of bacon before he flew out. Soon breakfast was over, and the lot of them made their way back to the dungeons for their potions lesson. Snape started off his class with roll call, and paused at Harry Potter's name.

All week Draco had been ignoring the whispers about Harry, and walking around the large groups of people who followed him everywhere. His father telling him to befriend Harry in his letter this morning was the final straw. Draco's dislike for Harry grew more and more every time someone mentioned his stupid name or talked about how great he was. Draco knew that Harry would steal the attention of Snape just like he did every other teacher, and because of that Draco's contempt grew.

However, to Draco's great surprise, Snape didn't ogle at Harry, or compliment the stupid dumb luck he had possessed as an infant that allowed him to live. "'Ah, yes,'" Professor Snape spoke in a sarcastic tone, "'Harry Potter. Our new — celebrity.'"

Draco and the other Slytherins all laughed and sniggered. As they looked around at the annoyed faces of the Gryffindors, none of the Slytherins felt much guilt. Sure, the Gryffindor students hated that Snape favored the Slytherins, that he despised the Gryffindors, but it was really just a taste of their own medicine. Many of the teachers blatantly disliked all Slytherin students, and the same could be said for most of the Gryffindors. Therefore, fair or not the Slytherins loved that they could always count on Professor Snape to have their backs.

"'You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making,'" Snape said in his low drawling voice. No one dared to speak over him or interrupt. Every student in the classroom either respected or feared him. For some it was a combination of both. "'As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses. . . . I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.'"

Several students stared back at him with hungry eyes, ready to prove themselves. Other students were already slumping back in their chair with defeat knowing they would not do well. Then of course there were the students who were doing everything they could to avoid Professor Snape's gaze, Harry Potter was one of these students.

"'Potter!'" snapped Snape. "'What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?'"

"'I don't know, sir," Harry responded shakily.

Hermione's hand shot up in the air desperate to answer the question. Draco turned to Daphne and whispered "Draught of the Living Death- sleeping potion."

"'Tut, tut- fame clearly isn't everything'" said Snape.

"'Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?'"

Hermione's hand shot back up again, and she was now on the edge of her seat. Draco again whispered in Daphne's ear, "A stone taken from a goat's stomach-easy."

"I don't know sir," Harry spoke again.

"'Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?'" Snape antagonized with a glint of joy in his eyes.

"'What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?'" Snape asked again.

This time Hermione hadn't even bothered to put her hand down in the first place, and now she was standing like a neglected puppy begging for attention.

"No difference- they are the same thing." Draco whispered yet again.

"Why don't you answer then?" Daphne laughed under her breath.

"Please," Draco scoffed and rolled his eyes, "I'm not that desperate." He said pointing towards Hermione.

"'I don't know,'" said Harry snapped. "'I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?'"

A few Gryffindors laughed but Snape clearly was not pleased. "'Sit down,'" He told Hermione. "'For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?'"

Every student in the room including Hermione and Draco reached for a quill and started copying down the information upon Snape's request.

"'And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.'" Snape said cockily.

"He's quite intimidating isn't he," Pansy spoke in an anxious voice.

"I think he's brilliant," said Draco in awe.

Snape told the students to each find a partner, and Draco immediately grabbed Daphne's hand to Pansy's dismay. "Sorry Pansy," Draco taunted, "but I'm not pairing up with one of those two idiots." Draco said, pointing to Crabbe and Goyle.

Draco didn't catch on that Pansy was sad she wasn't partners with him. He thought she was upset he had stolen her friend Daphne from her. However, Pansy regained her composure when Blaise offered to pair up with her.

They were told to turn to page 8 and follow the directions for a simple potion to cure boils. Daphne and Draco got to work, crushing snake fangs, weighing their dried nettles. Snape walked around criticizing each potion. Draco, Blaise, Pansy, and Daphne all took turns keeping an eye on Crabbe and Goyle who kept almost messing up.

"No Crabbe!" Pansy shrieked out of nowhere. "Take the cauldron off the fire first!"

For the most part all the Slytherins were quite helpful to one another. They asked each other questions, and offered advice even when it was not asked. Draco thought to himself that his mother was right. Slytherins really watch out for one another like a family.

When Snape got to Draco he looked down suspiciously, knowing that there was a good chance that Draco was not that smart, and that his mother had talked him up above his ability. However, to Snape's utter surprise Draco and Daphne's slugs were stewing perfectly. He hadn't seen a more perfect potion from a first year in years. "Well done Draco, Daphne... If anyone has questions on how to complete this potion they should clearly come to you." Snape spoke in his slow unamused voice, but when Draco looked up he did see a small smile in the corner of his mouth, and Draco knew that this was high praise from Snape.

The Granger girl looked over at them like a love sick puppy who had been abandoned, and she ferociously worked on her potion trying to get Snape's attention and praise. However, Draco knew this wouldn't work. Snape didn't want some brown-nosing student who was desperate for his validation. He wanted a student who could get the job done and take pride in their own work.

"I was so nervous for what he was going to say," Daphne said letting out a sigh of relief.

"I wasn't, our potion is good," said Draco.

"You mean your potion is good," she laughed. "I wouldn't have done half as well if you weren't my partner and you know that."

Draco just smirked and shrugged at her in response.

All of a sudden, clouds of green smoke filled the dungeon. Neville had completely melted Seamus's cauldron and now their potion was seeping onto the floor. Students jumped up onto their seats to avoid the liquid which was soaking through Neville's clothes, searing his skin and covering it with red ugly boils.

"'Idiot boy!'" Snape snapped as he cleaned up the potion with a simple wave of his wand. "'I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?'"

But Neville did nothing but groan in pain. "'Take him up to the hospital wing,'" Snape shouted at Seamus who had been watching dumbly with his mouth open wide.

"'You — Potter — why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor.'" Snape snarled at Harry.

Malfoy and the others sniggered in surprise, but also looked around worriedly to make sure the groups next to them were not messing up. Crabbe and Goyle were especially snub about the whole ordeal.

"Oh wipe that look off your face." Blaise said, rolling his eyes. "You'd be in much worse condition than him if it weren't for us."

"Everyone's dismissed," spoke Snape. "Except you Draco, I would like a word with you."

"I'd wish you good luck, but clearly you don't need it," said Daphne as she collected her books.

Draco walked to Snape's desk at the front of the room. "Professor?" he asked.

Snape took a moment to gather his thoughts before speaking. "You seem to possess a gift for magic well beyond your years, not unlike that Granger girl, but you are far less insufferable to be around," spoke Snape quietly and slowly putting emphasis on each word. "Let me be frank, Mr Malfoy, I believed that your mother, kind as she is, spoke highly of you only because you are her son, but to my surprise you possess rare talent and I don't want to see that go to waste. I would be willing to mentor you if you are willing to put in the work, do you understand?"

"Yes professor," said Draco and a smile formed on his face. He was nervous, but it felt nice to be recognized and taken under the wing of someone so clearly brilliant.

"Very well Mr. Malfoy. Let's meet after class each Friday, and I expect you to remain at the top of your class. For now, you may go," said Snape.

"Yes professor. Thank you, professor," said Draco and he ran out of the room to catch up with his friends.

Later that night Draco was slightly bragging to his friends in the Slytherin common room about what had transpired after class.

"That's quite impressive," said Pansy. "Even when it comes to the Slytherin students Snape is quite hard to impress."

"Ugh," Scoffed Millicent, the unpleasant looking girl who was chosen first for Slytherin. "No it's not. I'm sure his daddy just bought him Professor Snape's dignity with his sizable trust fund."

Draco stood up quickly. "Oh yeah," he spat sarcastically. "you definitely would have gotten Snape's attention if it weren't for me. If he wasn't so distracted by Daphne's and my perfect potion, you would have lost us house points on the brown slime that was your potion Millicent. You can play that card but the truth is that you can't handle that I'm richer, prettier, and smarter than you."

Millicent just stood there dumbfounded as Draco then stormed off to his rooms, not in the mood to speak to anyone else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171K 6.2K 69
~ Year five ~ Warning: This is the fifth book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
111K 4.2K 49
Draco x Ravenclaw reader fanfiction written in the third person POV/ some Draco POVs (I wanted to switch it up because normally it's told from the fe...
2.9M 86.7K 40
It's dark in the closet, I can just vaguely see his features and realise how close we're standing. Like, really close. My chest is toughing his and m...
355K 8.7K 48
I've been working on this story since I was 12, and 8 years later I'm finally gonna give it the ending it deserves. You start out as a Slytherin fir...