A Child Changes Everything. (...

By hplove490

BOOK 2: The war is over, and Draco Malfoy is nowhere to be found. Kris Rogers has spent the last 5 years nav... More

A Child Changes Everything. [Eviction]
A Child Changes Everything. [Hold On Tight]
A Child Changes Everything. [Girls Night Out]
A Child Changes Everything. [Finally Found]
A Child Changes Everything. [Hello Mr. Draco]
A Child Changes Everything. [The Answer]
A Child Changes Everything. [Father Daughter Bonding]
A Child Changes Everything. [Co-Parenting]
A Child Changes Everything. [Love or Obligation?]
A Child Changes Everything. [Held Hostage]
A Child Changes Everything. [Classroom Catastrophe]
A Child Changes Everything. [Back At Hogwarts]
A Child Changes Everything. [I Need To Quit You]
A Child Changes Everything. [Progeniti]
A Child Changes Everything. [The Plan]
A Child Changes Everything. [Luna Longbottom]
A Child Changes Everything. [Conspiracy Theories]
A Child Changes Everything. [Thomas Ellington]
A Child Changes Everything. [Do You Remember...?]
A Child Changes Everything. [I Don't Blame You]
A Child Changes Everything. [Second Time's A Charm]
A Child Changes Everything. [Cabin Fever]
A Child Changes Everything. [Ambushed]
A Child Changes Everything. [Dinner With The Devil]
A Child Changes Everything. [A Convincing Performance]
A Child Changes Everything. [The Tunnel]
A Child Changes Everything. [She's Our Only Hope]
A Child Changes Everything. [The Funeral]
A Child Changes Everything. [2 Questions]

A Child Changes Everything. [The Question]

2.4K 63 12
By hplove490

You awoke to Harry moving around in the bedroom close to you. The moment you opened your eyes he was at your side.

"Are you sick? I came home and you were asleep." he said, worry on his face.

"I'm fine really." you said, though you still felt a little light headed. You knew it was from hunger, because you hadn't eaten all day.

"Ron and Hermione are on their way. Do you want me to cancel with them?" he asked.

"No! Please, Harry I'm fine. Really." you said, getting up. He seemed satisfied at last with your answers and left the room, pulling on his shoe as he hopped out the door. You took out a cute black dress and slipped it on. You always liked to look your best, but even more since you were headed out for dinner instead of staying home as usual. You pulled on your heels and went to fix your hair. By the time you had finished there was a ring of the doorbell. You walked out of the bedroom just as Harry did, smoothing out your dress.

"I got it." you said. He nodded and disappeared back into Kelly's room, where you heard her yelling for Harry to buckle her shoe. You opened the door and was greeted by Ron and Hermione's smiling faces. Hermione pulled you into a hug.

"Harry said you were ill..." Ron asked, walking inside.

"No no, he's just worrying." you said. Just then Harry was dragging Kelly out from her room.

"My pink one!"

"No, Kelly." he said, pulling her along.

"Pink what?" you asked.

"I dunno." Harry muttered, greeting Hermione and Ron.

"What pink one?" you asked Kelly, who had began to sniffle.

"The pink one! He put in the blue one!" she wailed, pointing to her hair.

"Men!" you said playfully, and Kelly laughed.

"What did I do?" Harry asked, confused.

"The hair clip." you said smiling. "C'mon Mum will fix it. Don't ask him to do your hair if you want it done right!" you said. Harry faked an offended expression and you walked back into the bedroom to get the pink one. You took out her hair and began to brush it, running over her blonde hair with her fingers. Looking at it made you think of what had happened this morning. You couldn't understand... What are the chances, anyway? It doesn't matter though, because you had a wonderful Draco-free life. Going back to him would be stupid. Absolutely stupid.

"Mum?" Kelly's voice drifted into your thoughts.

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking?" she asked. You raised an eyebrow, wondering why she was so curious.  "You look like your thinking about something really hard. Like when Bobby was writing his name for the first time today at school!"

"It's nothing, sweetie." you said quietly, pulling her hair back and placing the clip in her silky soft hair. It felt just like Draco's.

"Thanks!" she said, getting up and running off to find everyone else. You stayed put, looking at the vanity you were sitting in front of. A picture of you and Kelly lay on the table, and you picked it up. Your eyes softened as they traced over the little things about Kelly that reminded you of Draco. The eyes, just like his. The hair. Almost everything if you looked hard enough.

"Hey? You coming?" your eyes snapped up and you dropped the picture when Harry poked his head in.

"Yes, of course."

You followed him through to the other room. Everyone was ready, standing by the door. Kelly was gesturing wildly at Ron and Hermione, obviously very excited about the topic of the conversation. Hermione and Ron didn't seem nearly as enthusiastic.

"...drew a picture of a tree. A big one! Then tomorrow we are supposed to put pictures on it! Of our mom and our dad, and our grandparents, and..." and she stopped to think about what else is to go on the tree. Harry stopped, having heard what Kelly said, and glanced at you nervously.

"What's that?" you asked. Kelly looked up and beamed.

"Oh mum! We are making a tree with family on it! And when we are done Miss Christy said we'll keep if forever!" she said excitedly. You just blinked. You felt everyone else in the room watching you.

"That's great. C'mon or we'll be late." you said, taking her hand. It seemed to be one of the worst coincidences in the world, and it tore at your heart. But deep down, you knew it would happen one day. A family tree project seemed to be traditional in muggle schooling as well as wizarding. You tried your hardest to push past it, wanting to relax this evening, because you felt another opportunity wouldn't come anytime soon.

*    *    *    *

The wait was short for your table, and you couldn't help but be thankful for that. You were already tired. You were put at a table by a window, and you watched outside as Kelly pointed out everything that amused her. Harry was discussing some Ministry business with Ron, and Hermione was listening intently. You had no interest. The breadsticks came and went, then the meal. You ordered a salad, not having much of an appetite. You ate the pieces of chicken that were cut on top of it first, which had always been a habit, while coloring a picture that Kelly begged you to do.

"You're very quiet tonight." Hermione said quietly when Ron and Harry were distracted by some Quidditch talk.

"Oh, yeah..." you said, but that didn't seem to help at all. You turned the picture to face Kelly and she clapped. This caused Harry to look over.

"Awww, it's your best work yet! Is that a dinosaur?" he asked, pointing to a purple thing in the middle.

"No. It's a fish!" you exclaimed.

"Well, I like it!" Kelly said matter-of-factly, as if that made it look good.

"At least she knows true talent." you said. Harry laughed and you smiled for the first time that day.

"You should give her the pretty thing!" Kelly said excitedly. Harry's eyes snapped to her and he looked a bit horrified.

"What pretty thing?" you asked.

"She meant... this!" he said, picking up a candlestick and sliding it over. You looked at it, then back at Harry curiously. Hermione seemed shocked, eyes wide.

"Right..." you said, taking it. "Thanks?"

"You're welcome!" Harry said frantically.

"No! The pretty stone!" she said, poking at his pocket. He took her hand.

"You mean the rock you found! I'll show her later." he said in hushed tones. You sat up straight, peaking over the tablecloth toward his pocket.

"Harry..." you began.

"She found a blue rock. Quite fabulous really." Hermione chipped in. Ron nodded.

"Really? Why I'd love to see it." you said, eyeing Harry's pocket. You knew Harry had something, but what? Jewelry? You got excited thinking about it. Maybe the necklace you had pointed out last weekend. It was the most beautiful necklace you had ever seen. Harry looked nervous, and momentarily stopped the struggle against Kelly's advances toward his pocket. She saw her reach into the pocket and pull out something sparkly.

"Thank you!" Harry said, pulling it away from her. You watched, smiling. "Thank you for the assistance Kelly... Well, no better time than now, I suppose." he said more nervously than ever. Hermione's eyes got wider and Ron watched, not speaking a word. Harry opened his hand to reveal a ring. The clear diamond sparkled brilliantly in the lights. It was huge. You couldn't help your breath getting stuck in your throat when you saw it.

"Harry..." you began but he cut you off.

"I love you Kris Rogers." he said.

"Harry... I--"

"You're the only person I want to be with as long as I live." he said, still holding it out to you. You felt your chest constrict, your breath quickening. You couldn't say yes... Not until he knew.

"Kris Rogers..." he began. You were panicking now, and you felt like this was the end of the world. He had to know... "Will you--"

"I saw Draco Malfoy today!" you blurted out, then clasped your hands over your mouth in horror at what you had just done. The table went silent. It seemed the entire restaurant had even quieted. You turned to see the occupants of the tables around you had all been watching.

"We'll... just... Kelly, come on!" Hermione said, and Kelly slid out obediently, sensing the situation was a little heavier for her liking. Ron and Hermione walked out with her, leaving Harry and you staring at each other.

"You saw Draco?" he asked, lowering his hand, the ring still in his palm. You couldn't speak, so you nodded.

"How?" he asked quietly. You lowered your hands.

"Well... he had just, um... He was at Stacey's this morning." you said, thinking Harry would get the hint. He did. Seconds seemed like hours and he still didn't talk. Finally, he seemed to make up his mind about something.

"Do you still love him?" he asked. You could tell he already knew the answer to that. He saw the pink diamond ring many times, and he knew who it was from.

"I... I love you." you said.

"That wasn't my question." he stated flatly. You felt tears begin to form. You couldn't lie to Harry, not after all that had happened. You tried desperately to side step it.

"It's been a long time H-Harry. I d-don't know h-h-him anymore really..." you trailed off, aware you began to stutter as tears came.

"Kris... It's a yes or no question." he said firmly.

"I... I-I..." you stuttered, but that was all he needed to hear. He stood and left, just like that, and you burst into tears. Seconds later, Hermione was at your side, and you buried your face in her shoulder. You watched as Harry walked out, and watched as he Apparated, disappearing into the night. You turned your gaze and saw the sparkling ring on the table. You picked it up, admiring it up close for the first time. It looked as if it were a family heirloom or something, which made you feel worse. Harry had always cared for you, always been there... so why did Draco's appearance seem to undue it all? What power did he have over you?! Hermione lifted you slowly after you had managed to compose yourself, and you walked outside into the cold, meeting Ron and Kelly. You took her, bid Ron and Hermione good night and walked back to the car. You heard the crack of them Disapparating, and you felt your insides turn cold as the reality of what just happened set in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 43 15
BOOK 1 What if Severus Snape had a daughter? What if she was a seer? What if she helps Harry leave his abusive relatives? Harry Potter was raised as...
81.2K 3.3K 16
After the war, everything slowly starts to get back to normal. Well, as normal as it can get at Hogwarts. Harry, Hermione and Ron are still close fri...
99.8K 2.2K 31
BOOK 1: After the tragedy of her mother's death, Kris Rogers had snapped. Now she is starting her sixth year at Hogwarts, returning after a long sum...
15K 715 41
Draco Malfoy ran away with his mother after the war. They both wanted to forget. They did. twelve Years later, Narcissa and Draco live in muggle Lou...