Falling

By jennanidz

FREE STORY WITH PAID BONUS CONTENT Dante Brown has met many challenges in his life, all of them crumbled ben... More

Intro
Prologue
1 | TaTa
2 | Wrong Door
3 | A Deal
4 | A Piece of White Paper
5 | Butter Croissant
6 | Playing With Fire
7 | Program
8| Skyscraper
9 | Bathroom Visit
10 | Rum and Coke
11 | Dante
12 | Memorable
13 | Dance Partner
13 | Alternate Ending Story Branch
14 | Printer
14 | Printer (Dante's POV)
15 | Hot
16 | Slipping Composure
17 | Tate
18 | Dinner Date (part one)
18 | Dinner Date (part one) (Dante's POV)
19 | Dinner Date (part two)
19 | Dinner Date (part two) (Dante's POV)
20 | Desire
21 | The Past
22 | Option One
24 | Draw The Line
25 | Little Women
26 | Zac
27 | I'd Like That Too
28 | Spend The Night
29 | Commando
30 | Mari
31 | Talk
32 | Honesty
33 | You Feel That?
34 | Coffee Ice Cream
35 | Miss Me?
36 | Falling
37 | Family
38 | Number 7
39 | Guilty
39 | Guilty (Dante's POV)
40 | Me Too
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter (18+)
Falling Sequel
Baby Fever | Exclusive Chapter

23 | Penthouse

259K 8K 6.7K
By jennanidz

Dante

"What's gotten into you?" Rodney said as he sat across from me on the couch.

Slouching back into the armchair I sat in, one ankle thrown on the other knee I scanned over some paperwork.

"What do you mean?" I moved my eyes to his. He smirked at me.

"You know, Tatum said she had been with Amelia last night." He watched my reaction. I kept my face stoic. Returning my gaze back to the file I was currently reading.

"If you're going to tease me like a teenage girl, I recommend you leave now." I said all while keeping my eyes set on the words in front of me.

I hadn't spoken to Amelia since yesterday. I had to tell her about the remaining journalist who refused to take down the article. Today at work I had left a message on her personal phone. Let's hope she fucking responds. Those pictures were an invasion of privacy and I'll be damned if they were kept up.

"Relax Dante, no need to get all defensive," he said sitting up and walking over to my kitchen. "Would you like a beer?"

Shaking my head no I sat up pulling the paperwork together and placing it in a folder, throwing it on the table in front of me. Sighing I rested forward on my elbows and brought my hands to my hair.

"Jamison is killing me here. Fucking little prick is always up my ass about something new. Today he sent me a file about a case my mom had been covering." I watched as Rodney sat back in front of me on the couch. He looked up while bringing the beer to his lips.

"Apparently she has this huge case down in Boston. They're trying to catch a foster care family that had been soliciting pictures of their young kids," shuddering at the disgusting thought it brought me I stood up.

"On second thought, I need that beer." I said as I reached the fridge.

"Thats fucked up. But why did Tate send you the case?" Rodney questioned pulling out his phone to answer a text.

"He knows I don't speak to my parents anymore, sends me anything and everything to do with them." I spoke in a flat tone sitting down next to him this time.

Leaning over I looked at his phone. Smirking, I looked back at him. I knew him and Tatum were talking more and he wasn't hiding it. I wonder if Amelia had told Tatum about the other night, and if she had then I wonder if Tatum had spoken to Rodney.

"Back off asshole," Rodney said, shoving my shoulder.

I laughed turning forward to grab the TV remote. I heard him get up besides me. "She wants to see me, I'm going to go and pick her up. I'll talk to you later?" He said questioning me.

"Alright Mr Black," I smirked using Tatum's last name. He flipped me off and grabbed his coat.

"You still coming to the birthday party tomorrow? Zac wants you there." He said, reminding me of his brother's party. Nodding my head yes I set my beer down. "Why does he want me there so badly?"

Rodney shook his head and grabbed his phone typing something back to Tatum. Not looking at me he answered.

"He wants you to meet his new boyfriend, and said he's found the one." Rodney said shaking his head laughing at something Tatum said and then looked back up to me.

"Of course he'd want to flaunt his relationship in front of me," I shook my head taking my beer back. "Claims I'm celibate because I don't ever date."

Rodney just rolled his eyes.

"I will text you details tomorrow." And with that he walked out the door. I threw my head back enjoying the silence. So much has happened since Monday. First the club, then Wednesday night dinner, then Wednesday nights.... yea. Two cold showers that night.

I had no idea why I had felt the need to check up on Amelia at work yesterday, but I did. And finding out she never even showed up, left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Why wasn't she there? Why hadn't she shown up? Was it about the pictures?

So many questions led me to the kitchen for another beer. I grabbed another one. Tossing the old can in the recycling and starting for the living room. I gathered the papers from Tate and brought them to my study, throwing them on my desk when a knock sounded at my door.

What did Rodney forget this time?

I approached the door, resting the beer on the kitchen counter before turning the knob. It wasn't Rodney.

Looking down I was met with the round blue eyes of Amelia Rhodes. My body froze and my eyebrows furrowed. She looked tense, and nervous? No. Anxious.

"I meant to stop by your office today but I had no time... I asked Tatum for your address. I hope you don't mind." She said and walked past my shocked form, making herself comfortable entering my home.

There she stood, hair flowing and body clothed with what appeared to be leggings and a sweater. Yet somehow she was still the most gorgeous woman I had ever laid eyes on. What the fuck was wrong with me.

"Well, come in please." I said sarcastically shutting the door approaching her form as she stood there watching me.

"I needed to talk to you about that article that's still up. It's been bothering me." She kept her eyes on mine. Showing no sign of anything, just determination. I watched as her flawless face scrunched in confusion.

"Did you really threaten that... woman who wrote the article?" She swallowed at the word woman and looked nervous at the mention of her. Now I was confused.

"I did not threaten her Amelia. Just advised her to take it down." I said studying her face. I ushered my arm, showing her the living room to take a seat on the couch.

She shook her head.

"I'm not staying long, I just want confirmation you aren't going to go around and threaten people the second they do something that you disapprove about." She said quickly averting her eyes from mine.

I sighed lovingly away from her, grabbing the beer from my kitchen counter and taking my seat back on the couch.

"Whatever Amelia. What's done is done. Would you relax and quit thinking I'm a monster of a person?" I said a bit harshly.

She always thought so foul of me and it fucking bothered me. From the corner of my eye I watched her move to the living room, eyes roaming the penthouse.

"I've always wondered what they looked like." She said while running her eyes over the furniture and then venturing further in towards the floor to ceiling windows. "I see these penthouses in magazines and on tv... never in person."

She kept her face towards the NYC night skyline. I watched her.

"Well now you have. Please take a seat Amelia." I said.

I watched as her tense shoulders slouched a bit and she turned towards me again. Her eyes roamed the empty couch and the armchair across from it. She settled for the armchair. Relaxing back into it.

"So, I'm going to have to... fire Rodney for sharing my address with that friend of yours," I smirked while sipping my beer. I watched eyes roll as they followed the movement of my hand.

"Don't be so extreme Dante." She turned her head to the door.

She furrowed her brows, "Wednesday. Tate, that was the man you were beating the night we met wasn't it?"

I tensed, setting the beer down and clasping my hands together leaning forward on my knees. She turned back towards me gaging my reaction.

"Yes." Was all I said, nodding my head keeping my eyes on hers.

"Can I ask why," she said softly but urgently. As if she needed me to answer.

"Thats personal." Was all I said. Not really wanting the topic of my sister to be brought up right at this moment.

"Oh, and digging into my past isn't?" She snapped back at me narrowing her eyes. "Why were you beating Tate to the brink of death Dante." She says back, tense again.

My hands shook.

"Tate and his father have been long... enemies of mine." I said, diverting my eyes from her clenching my jaw. "He said some things to me that night that were unpleasant." Was all I gave her. My heart clenched at the thought of my sister. I grabbed the beer and finished it all.

Standing to the kitchen I got rid of it and started for another one. "Would you like one?" I asked her from across the room.

"No thank you," she said.

I moved back into the living room with my third beer and watched as she eyed my form.

My turn for questions.

"Why are you so uptight about how I handle the last journalist Amelia." I said while opening the third can. Watching her face now. It scrunched in pain very quickly but then it was gone. Weird.

"I just don't want you hurting anyone Dante. You tend to threaten and hurt people over your own selfish reasoning." She said rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

Narrowing my eyes back at her I didn't answer. Tired of constantly fighting her over my actions, tired of the constant hatred she appeared to have for me.

We sat there for what felt like eternity. In silence. She watched me finish the third beer, just sitting there with an unreadable expression on her face.

I don't know if it was the beer or the fact she had such a control over my mind, but I found myself saying the next words.

"My sister is dead." I didn't wait for her reaction, just turned my head to the side.

"Tate made a crude comment about her. I don't take those lightly." I heard her gasp and brought my eyes back to hers. She looked at me with sadness, and I hated it.

"Don't fucking pity me Amelia, I told you so you'd realize I'm not such a cruel man. I don't do things always with malicious intent." I bit back watching as she jumped at my harsh tone. I felt guilty at my response but then again, I was angry.

"Stop taking your pain out in anger Dante. I'm sorry about your sister, and I'm sorry.... about Tate." She said quietly, but sternly narrowing her eyes while watching my features.

"Don't apologize." Was all I said turning to the night sky through the windows

"On second thought. I'll have that beer." She said surprising me.

And then she was standing up and walking towards the kitchen to retrieve her poison for the night... I had a feeling her question about my sister wouldn't be the last tonight. And with that thought I said back.

"Grab me another one too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

383K 5K 58
The failure to put trust into a stranger's words and a simple act of judgement became the catalyst for a tragic night. Arabella's pleasant life becom...
2M 36.6K 57
Amelia has had a tough life and it all got even worse when her dad returned from his trip. He has sold her to the Perez family for money. How could...
100 0 8
[ON HOLD] Amelia Claire, an independent soul, left her parent's home in Florida for New York, driven by the singular goal of securing a well-paying j...
138K 3.7K 24
On the surface, Aiden had it all. Wealth, good looks, and intelligence. But beneath the veneer of masculine perfection lay a broken man. A man obsess...