The Lust of Horns

By ErichW

[Complete] Eroh has reached his seventeenth spring and has finally become a man. With manhood comes a gift:... More

MAP/CHARACTERS/SIGIL
BOOK I
EROH I
AQULE I
NHEDRI I
ROKK I
EROH II
AQULE II
NHEDRI II
EROH III
AQULE III
EROH IV
ROKK II
EROH V
NHEDRI III
MARINA I
EROH VI
ROKK III
EROH V
MARINA II
EROH VI
NHEDRI IV
ROKK IV
NHEDRI V
MARINA III
ROKK V
EROH VIII
ROKK VI
MARINA IV
EROH IX
ROKK VII
NHEDRI VI
MARINA V
EROH X
ROKK VIII
EROH XI
NHEDRI VII
AQULE IV
ROKK IX
EROH XII
AQULE V
EROH XIII

EROH VII

189 11 1
By ErichW

The sapphires on the necklace sparkled, yet I drew my eyes to the center gem. It was bluer than any sapphire, shaped like a horn moon, and shimmered like light off water.

"Marvelous," I said, flipping the necklace over several times. I didn't know much about rubies, diamonds, or sapphires, but if I had to guess I'd say the gem was flawless. "I need to return it ..." I slid it into my pocket, then went out back to meet my father.

It'd been three weeks since my ceremony, and I finally felt the strength return. It was a new strength. Not the feeble strength I had before, but a power that coursed through my blood, effecting every muscle in my body. Beast blood was what many called it, and I finally had it.

The shapening caused the change, in not only my blood, but in my bones and muscles. Every time I found my reflection, in mirror, pool, or piece of glass I saw a darker-haired, broad-chinned man, with bright blue eyes, and a body that was ripened with muscles.

I was stronger, faster, and my reflexes were quick as lightning. Every morning I picked up the two-handed sword my father gave me and practiced. Against trees. Against elders. Even against my shadow. The weight of the sword strained my muscles with every swing. My shoulders and arms ached. My back was numb. And my legs were heavy as boulders. It was a wonder I could carry it at all. But when my strength returned, I was no long burdened by such weight.

I went outside where my father waited with two swords in hand. Their hilts made of cervitaur bone and the blade made of Maqsyrux Stone: a lightweight rock found in the mountains of Taurtine. The blades were black, clear as glass, and keen enough to cut a man in half.

He handed me one. "I want to see how you've improved-"

I slid my right leg behind me, lifting the blade from my left hip. It arched up and to the right. A beautiful swing with enough force to remove a head. Father stepped back. The blade removed chin hair. It was an improvement. Father had grown lazy since being at the temple, and he needed the shave.

He chuckled. "Is that how were are dueling? Like barbarians?"

"Is there any other way?"

Father shook his head and his bushy cheeks rose with his smile. "Have it your way."

He roared, lifting the sword above his head. Every vein in his body bulged. He brought the blade down. I lunged back. The blackened stone ate into earth, sinking to mid-blade. This was my chance. With my weight behind the swing, I countered. Father was a huge, aging man, but he still had a quickness to his step. I cut leather. Father drew up his blade. We matched ours blows. I'd swing, he'd parry. He'd lunge, I'd parry. Blow after blow. Chopping and cutting, trying our bests to slice flesh. We didn't want to kill each other, though our instincts told us to do so. That's why restraint was important. But we wanted to draw blood; first blood would be victorious.

"You're still thinking," Father said, nearly burying his sword into my rib. I spun out of the way just in time. "I can see it in your eyes. And if I can see it, your enemy can see it." I closed my eyes and chopped air. Father chuckled. "You won't win any battle fighting blind."

I drew my sword behind my right hip, crouching, narrowing my eyes. I looked upon father. "I was only mocking you." I grinned at his flustered gaze. "I may think too much ... but you talk too much."

I had him!

Father was out of position. Body facing forward. I was taught to keep myself narrow. A narrow man meant a hard target. Father stood wide. Every part of him open for the kill. He should've stayed focus.

In a haste, I lifted the blade to hip level, pulled back my arms then lunged forward, blade sliding to meet leather. Father moved his left arm. He swung circular, pushing my blade tip beyond his right hip. My momentum drove me forward. My feet tangled. I was falling. Before I hit earth, father grabbed my arm and wrenched me towards him. A blur came from the left and my head whipped back, nose cracked. I groaned down in the soil. Blood oozing from my nostrils.

I clutched my face, "what was that?"

Father chuckled and patted his left elbow. "Your other blades. Don't think just because you're in a sword fight that that is your only weapon."

"You cheated ..."

"No." He frowned. "I improvised. You saw that I was out of position, which I intended, therefore you attacked and fell into my trap."

I took my hand away, and the blood spewed. I pinched my nose, lifting it high. "You don't fight fair ..."

"You declared the rules when you took your first swing. And no fight is fair, son. If both men lose their blades, it becomes a battle of the hands. And if one is not strong on his feet, it'll be taken to the ground. Every opponent is different. You must be ready for anything. You bled, you lose."

Is that so?

Father never saw me coming. I clawed at the dirt and flung it. Direct hit. He closed his eyes, coughing. I was on my feet. Three steps it took me to reach him. With my bloody hand, I whipped it across his face. His head jerked, but his body stood as strong and tall as a statue. My father blinked and teared until black streaks ran to his beard. His eyes opened, red and bloodshot. He furrowed his eyebrows. Breathing heavy. Hands clenched.

I chuckled, "looks like we both got blood on us. Does that mean it's a draw?"

"You need to learn respect-"

"What?" I shrugged. 'I was a downed opponent. That doesn't mean I was dead. Am I to just sit and wait for the slaughter, or give my foe every ounce of my will, to try and take him with me or to survive."

Father kept his furious pose only for a moment longer. His eyebrows then raised. He smiled. "Good. You're learning."

"And so are you."

He rose his chin and let out an obnoxious boom, then wiped the black tears and crimson stains from his face and his beard. We sat in the grass and gazed at thicket at the rear of the temple. I slid my hand in my pocket, clutching the slippery stone. Pondering if the girl ever made it back to her home.

"Have you decided on a gift to give Nhedri?"

A gift? I gazed at him. "What gift?"

My father laid back on the grass, knees high, watching a flock of birds cross the sky. "Your wedding gift. It took me half a year to find one for your mother."

"What'd you give her?"

"A feather."

I gazed upon my father, who seemed too proud. "Sounds a terrible gift."

"Sounds, yes. Was, no." He chuckled lightly, staring off like he remembered the moment. "Your mother loved it."

"It must've been some feather ..."

"It was." Father whispered. "Taken from the tail of a blizzard bird."

"Blizzard bird?"

Father nodded. "Being born in the winter, I felt I needed to give her something that showed my strength, my courage, and will." He flipped to his side and placed his ear to his palm. "You see, blizzard birds only come out only during a blizzard. And so, I ventured out into a nasty storm in search for the feather. Many had done so, but few came back, and hose who did ended up losing fingers, ears, or toes to frostbite."

I shivered at the thought. "Sound romantic ..."

"I was out there for six hours. Couldn't see a damn thing. Was lost for two of those hours. Thankfully, I found the fishing trees and could find my way back from there. The Horn Gods were with me on that day."

"Is that where you found the feather?"

"No ..." My father's eyes sparkled. "I returned home empty-handed, and cold to the bone."

I scratched my head. "I don't understand. Then how did you get the feather?"

He chuckled. "Well, your grandfather told me I was a damn fool. He was right. The trick to finding their feathers is not to search during the storm, but to search for them afterwards."

"So you went back out and found one?"

"No. Your grandmother went out while I was resting and found one. Only took her about an hour."

We laughed until our cheeks were red.

He raised a finger. "But I learned something out there, my boy. I learned who I was ... I was a man willing to die for the happiness of your mother." He jabbed the finger into my chest. I grunted. "Are you willing to do the same for Nhedri?"

"Of course!" I nodded until my neck ached. "I'd give my her my spirit to show my love."

"If that's so," he pointed towards the woods. "You best get out there and find her something that shows her that."

I rubbed the gem in my pocket. For a moment, I thought about giving Nhedri the necklace. It was a rare gift. Nothing that could be found in a thousand miles from here. And yet, it was not mine to give away. Nhedri would never know, but the thought would always be with me. Besides, I could use it to get my brother's knife back. I'm sure Marina would make the trade.

"Thank you, father." I said. "I will take your advice and venture into the woods."

I packed a sack, and enough food to last a week if o got lost. I also packed a pitching teepee, a robe, a thick fur blanket, my bow and arrows, flint, and one skinning and one hunting dagger in case I met a threat.

The dawn of the next day I set out into the forest mounted on Haridel. He was acting oddly obedient. Listening to my calls. Moving in the right direction. And staying on the path. When I first approached him, Haridel must've sensed the beast's blood inside me; he jerked and bucked, nearly taking me down. The fear waned and now he stood proud to have me on his back. Almost respectful. I was uncertain of the full power of the beast's blood, but I was certain there was more to it then I knew.

I took a break at the fishing tree, even catching a silver trying to avoid the vines that would be his doom. I then headed further north to the clearing camp. There I packed in for the evening to get an early start on the morrow. It was a restless night. Nhedri hoofs beat heavy, while strange gruffs kept me awake and alert. The fire must've kept whatever it was away. But I was certain it would return.

The next morning I ate a few chicken eggs and prepared to leave. I had no direction. I wasn't even sure what I was looking for, but if the Gods were good to me, they'd show me soon enough. Outside the clearing, I discovered two indented prints. Familiar prints. A pair I'd first seen at the fishing tree.

"The Minotaur," I said, patting Haridel on the snout. "You wanna go for a hunt?"

The horse shook his head and neighed. I chuckled, figuring he didn't understand me. And if he had, I didn't care. Slaying a minotaur alone would prove to Nhedri my strength and my courage. I had a chance. The creature was half blind. I made sure of that when I drove my dagger into his right. I must finish the job ... The woods would be safer without him lingering around.

I followed the hooves through the woodland hills. They headed northward and deeper into the thicket. I smelt the salt off the loch before I saw the blue body of water shedding light. From the peak, I made my way down the narrow trail, following the track to where the dock stood. Images of the blue girl flashed before me. I heard her cries. I smelt the blood. And I remembered the taste of her sweet flesh. Sickened, I drove my hand into my pocket and rubbed the gem.

"Forgive me ..." I shook my head. "I'm so sorry-"

A snap on my right made me to turn my head. Standing forty ... no ... fifty feet away was a hairy, two-legged beast with a black mane, one obsidian black eye, and a pair of horns that were sharpened to devilish-points. Even upon my mount, the creature stood a foot taller than me. Steam poured from his snout with every heavy breath. And I smelt his sweaty, earthy reek.

Haridel grunted.

"Don't be afraid," I said, patting his neck. I yanked out my bow and drew an arrow, keeping in the readied position. The minotaur rolled his fingers, tilting his head down. A warm, tingle feeling moved in my chest. You're a man now ... you must not fear beast. I drove my heels into Haridel's sides. "Get!"

My courage must've expelled into my horse. He charged, head down, eyes forward, running with the fierceness of a stallion. The minotaur stood frozen. In a single motion, I drew back my string, closed an eye and released. The shot was straight and on target, driving through hide and flesh. The beast raised his snout, releasing a long, low bellow. He glared at me. I fired again. The second arrow snapped off his horn. Gaining ground, he turned and fled towards the stony ridge.

"We got him now!"

Haridel's hooves beat the same rhythm as the Minotaurs. The four-legged beast galloping at a pace the two-legged beast couldn't match. My ear caught the whistle of the wind as it brushed my face and ran through my hair. I fired three more times. Two burying in the beast back. The third lost to the woods. Blood poured from the beast's back, staining his trail of hooves red.

Ahead, jagged stone raised to the sky. I smiled. "He's got nowhere to go. Keep on him!"

I threw the bow over my chest, then yanked my two-hander from its sheath. We gaining ground quickly. The arrows and the loss of blood were taking their toll. I shifted at my hips, bringing my arms behind me, ready to take my killing blow. Twenty feet away. Fifteen feet. Ten feet away. My hand were slick. I squeezed the bone hilt harder. My arms screaming at the heavy burden. Five feet away. Four feet. Three feet.

This is it!

I yelled and swung with all my might. The minotaur sensed my attack. He ducked as I slashed from right to left, the momentum of my swing throwing me. I somersaulted in the air. My blade flying off. The ground came up quick and I grunted as I slammed, rolling to a stop.

There was no time to groan at the pain coursing through me. I rolled to my knees, eyeing the broken brown wood and sting. My fall must've snapped my bow. I raised my head towards the heavy, hoarse breathing. Twenty feet away stood the minotaur. Head dead. Horn pointed at me. I looked around for Haridel ... my fall must've spooked him. I then found the sword, half buried, ten feet away. I'd never make it there in time.

Behind me was the jagged wall. It trapped me. Hands rattling, I looked upon my foe. Something on his chest caught my eye. A black, circular mark with a sharp cross on it. I knew this mark. I knew this sigil. All the hooflings did. It was the mark of Tardakk; the great minotaur Lord. What was it doing on this taur?

I didn't ponder it any longer. The minotaur dragged his right hoof against the earth. Again. and again. and again. Kicking up dirt and dust. Crouching lower and lower with each kick. I turned and ran. The grunts fading behind me. There has to be some way out of here. Maybe I can climb? That was my only hope. And if the Horn Gods saw to it, I'd climb with the upmost haste.

I heard the roar and then felt the vibrations of the charging minotaur. My legs were not carrying me fast enough. Ten feet away. Eight feet. Seven feet. At my back, I sensed the beast drawing near. Six feet. Five feet. Four feet. I could smell his earthy reek while his grunts were death to my ears. Three feet. Two feet. One foot.

This is it ... I'm going to die.

The beast roared, and I jumped to my right, diving and rolling. There was a snap as the horns met stone. Suddenly, an arched, pointed bone fell into my lap. The creature wobbled and dropped with a thud. I breathed heavily, looking upon my foe. After a time, my hands stopped shaking, and I picked up the heavy, black horn. Breathless at its beauty.

"I've done it ... I defeated the Minotaur -"

The beast gruffed and stumbled back to his hooves. He clutched the broken left shard protruding from his head, then examined the damage with his hand. What does it take to kill this thing? I'd take his right eye and left horn, and drove three arrows into his body, yet he still would not fall.

He turned and looked down upon me with that one black obsidian eye. I sank into it. Fear crept up my spine, imaging the pain that would come upon me. The creature's two fists rose over his head, ready to shatter my skull.

"Kill it!" Came a voice from behind me.

The minotaur's eyes grew, gazing upon what was approaching. He looked at me one last time, gruffed then turned and fled, dodging the volley of spears that tried to end him.

Grateful, I looked over my shoulder at the strange, pale people wearing blue-scaled armor. Each face more fierce than the last. They were solider, this I was certain. A large, muscular man stepped forward, eyes as blue as ice. He looked down upon me.

"Are you hurt, boy?"

I shook my head and stammered. "No ..."

"Good." The man said, looking to his soldiers. "Kill him!"

Their spears tips fell on me.

"Wait!" I yelled. Without a thought, I yanked the sapphire necklace from my pocket. They halted, gazing upon the gem. "Please ... I've come to return this ..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

512 76 23
- Book Two of The BrightStone Saga In "Kantos: Book Two of The BrightStone Saga," the realm of Kankor is engulfed in mayhem and devastation, thrustin...
1.6M 37.9K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
16.7K 518 11
SEQUEL TO THE BLOOD OF DARKNESS The world will be healed, Rid of the Divine who refuse to yield. Love will destroy them all. TW: violence, gore, tort...
1.4K 46 12
Ishani vowed to make an empire fall and the only way she can is with the help of the dangerously alluring statute-turned man. ...