Alone

By caslovessleeping

"I didn't know how much I needed you until I didn't have you. Every second was hell without you. Whenever I'm... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue

Chapter 25

738 42 33
By caslovessleeping

After a few minutes of scurrying around trying to not look like a homeless person, I was presently dragging Greyson towards his car.

"Damn woman, slow down. The cafe isn't going to go anywhere." He grumbled as I ignored and pulled him along, praying that I wouldn't be late.

"My job will if we don't haul ass."

"You're being overdramatic. So what if you're like a minute late?" He rolled his eyes at me.

"You clearly don't know what being punctual is then." I stated and got into his car.

He got in right as I did and lamely retaliated, "Uh... I so do."

I chose not to answer him; it would be futile to do so. Alice was the silent and calm type of angry, as informed by Ani, I hadn't see her anger yet and I never wanted to. I couldn't stop my leg from bouncing as Greyson guided the car onto the street.

A large palm stopped the incessant bouncing, "Eli, relax. I'll get you there in time."

I nodded in return and turned my focus on the cars that zoomed past us. The cafe finally came in view and I let out a sigh of relief, I still had five minutes to spare.

"I told you I would get you here in time." A cheeky smile on his face as he gazed at me.

"Thank you, Grey. I owe you." I said gratefully.

"You and me, dinner, tonight. I'll let you know the time."

"Yes, tonight." I assured him.

As I was exiting the vehicle, I was stopped by Greyson clearing his throat, looking at me expectantly. For what? I wasn't sure myself, but knowing him I knew it was going to be something stupid.

"I need something." He declared before I could get a word out.

"What do you need?" I asked, my patience running thin. "I need to go, so you better hurry up and tell me."

He had a complacent look on his face, his eyes twinkling in amusement and I knew I shouldn't have entertained his idiocy.

"I want a kiss." He announced.

The smug look grew on his face when he saw the bewildered expression on mine.

"Are you serious?" I asked in disbelief.

"As serious as I can be, just a kiss and then you can go." To prove his point, I heard a click indicating that he had locked the doors.

"Ugh, you're such a child." I glared at him wondering how all my life choices lead up to this absurd moment.

The innocent smile on his face grew as he saw me contemplating.

"Come here." I grumbled out knowing I had no other choice.

Leaning over the console, I pressed a chaste kiss on his forehead and unlocked the car using Greyson's small distraction to my advantage.

Grabbing my things and swiftly getting out, I glanced around to see Greyson had recovered from the little shock and was watching me with a smirk on his face.

He hadn't mentioned where he wanted to kiss.

"Touché." He mouthed.

I winked at him and gave him a flirty wave before turning around and making my way into the cafe.

I jumped in fright when I felt a hand touch my shoulder, I turned to see Ani laughing her ass off at my little scare.

"You s-should have seen your f-face." She said in between her laughter. "Oh man, I wish I had my phone recording. Your face was priceless."

"Haha, very funny." I said, giving her a dirty look. Entering the cafe, I walked to the employees room and dumped my bag in one of the empty lockers. Grabbing one of the aprons that hung on the wall, Ani stumbled into the room, still giggling.

"Elizabeth, I'm truly sorry, but if it makes you feel any better that made my day."

"I'm glad me almost having a heart attack amused you." I walked out of the room with Ani following me all the way.

Flipping the sign on the door, I took my place behind the counter, letting Ani drag out her apologies a little more longer.

"Elizabethhh, I'm sorry. Please forgive me." Ani had clasped her hands in front of me and got down on one knee.

Shaking my head at her theatrics, I said, "Ani, get your ass up."

"I need the three words, please."

I rolled my eyes at her. "I forgive you. Now, get up."

She had a self-satisfied look on her face, but before I could say anything a customer entered. When I glanced at her, she stuck out her tongue and winked at me before getting back to her work.

What was I going to do with this girl?

____________________

The both of us worn out and were currently slouched down on the couch in the employees room after finishing our very tiring shift. The creak of the door brought our attention to Alice who had walked, she regarded us with raised eyebrows before turning to me with a small smile on her face.

"Elizabeth, you did good today. You're as hardworking as you say, keep it up." 

Well, that was kind of unexpected. I mumbled an awkward thank you.

"What about me, Ally?" Ani questioned out of nowhere with her eyes closed.

Alice peered at her suspiciously before answering monotonously, "You did okay." 

She snapped one eye open, "Okay? I did better than okay."

She waited for a few moments, expecting Alice to retract her statement, but it was ineffective. She sat upright as if she was preparing for battle.

Ani let out an indignant snort, "So, let me get this straight. I've been replaced, me, your favorite employee, has been replaced by a newbie. Alice, I'm unexplainably hurt. I did not expect this from you." She held her chest and sniffled dramatically.

The room was silent.

"I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow, Elizabeth." She took off without another word, paying no attention to Ani.

Ani looked at me in disbelief, "Do I get no respect here?"

"You do, if act like an adult."

"Meh, being a child is better. At least they like me."

"I doubt that." I said with a chuckle.

"Do you have any plans?" Ani asked, choosing to ignore facts, as we got up to leave.

"Yes, actually. I have dinner plans." With a certain grey-eyed boy.

"Is it with that hunk of yours that dropped you off?" She asked, curiosity and excitement written all over her face.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, Ani. It's with that hunk of mine."

She clapped her hands excitedly, "I need all the deets, sis. We have to have a girl's night, and you have to spill."

"Calm down. We should have a girl's night though." I snickered at her enthusiasm.

My phone buzzed, it was yet another text from Jacob which reminded me what I had to do. I looked up to see Ani waiting for me.

"Crap, I forgot I had to do something. Can we catch up later?" I asked.

"It's totally cool. See ya later." She gave a small hug before leaving.

Me
We need to talk, the diner in half an hour. Are you free?

The reply came in an instant.

Caleb
I'll see you there.

Instantly after his text, I got a call from an unknown number. 

"Hello?" I answered it.

"Alex?" 

What the fuck? I removed the phone from my ear and looked at it as if it was possessed.

"What do you want and how the hell did you my number?" I fired off.

"You have to listen to me—"

"No, I don't and don't ever call me again." I hung up before he could get in another word.

In hopes of trying to disregard what just happened, I decided to go for a short walk. As I strolled down the road, a cool gust of wind blew past me. I relished in the feel of the cool air against my skin, taking in the beauty of nature as I walked. The beauty of nature can have a profound effect upon our senses, those gateways from the outer world to the inner, whether it results in feelings such as awe, wonder, or amazement. 

It never fails to amaze me the effect that nature has on the common man, whether they are ecstatic or despondent, the vibrant and bright colours of nature always seem to have a calming and soothing potency. Everything we truly need comes from nature, and no one can ever change that, yet we continue to take advantage of that and greedily take more than we require, but we naively forget that nature is the superior being and could easily put us in our place.

I broke away from my stupor once I realized I had reached the diner. Taking a seat in our usual spot, I checked the time on my phone, and I realized I still had few minutes to spare. A little later, the door to the diner swung open and in walked Caleb.

Once he stepped in, he halted at the door looking for me. I raised my hand and lightly waved at him to come over. When he saw me, he sent me a small smile before making his way to where I was sitting and in his hand, he had a box of S'more poptarts. He silently took a seat across me.

At least he looked like shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

284K 7.3K 31
Meet 16 year old Harper-Ariana Reed. Her father had been abusing her for years after her mother was shot. The once happily family Harper remembered w...
2.6K 1.3K 31
Having a best friend is one of the best feelings in the world. Knowing you have someone to count on for everything. People like Samantha and Aiden c...
3.6K 286 48
Alexandra Queen, she has never had a normal childhood. Her and her mother were abused by her father and his friend, John. Day in and day out. Their j...
1K 181 12
Willow's past is a painful and traumatizing one. It had left her to not trust others so quickly, and to be very sarcastic sometimes. She's known Hen...