The Serpent and the Unicorn:...

SusanSkylark

What if the Myth were real and everything else mattered not? What if your very soul hung in the balance? Ente... Еще

Prologue
Book I: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Book II: Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 7

1 0 0
SusanSkylark

Vespera was a small but beautiful country of rolling fields, open meadows, and scattered woodlands with many small lakes and winding rivers. Lorna, located in the center of the prosperous country, was a large city with a moderate wall running around its borders and a thriving and contented community within. Tristan rode reluctantly through the open gates, noting the look of disdain that crossed the faces of the guards as they recognized his uniform, but nothing more onerous than a few looks of disgust hindered him as he rode towards the palace in the middle of the city. People bustled about in the streets, busy about their own business, few were those who noticed his passing, but he survived those few glares and rode on, musing that the Order truly did have a bad reputation everywhere. He came to the palace gates and applied to the guards for Captain Lyre; a soldier dashed off, soon returning with confirmation that he was expected. He surrendered the irritated mare to the groom and followed the waiting soldier, who was to take him to Lyre. Lyre met him just inside the main entrance to the palace; he bowed minimally while Tristan made a full bow in return. Lyre dismissed the soldier back to his post and motioned for Tristan to follow, they walked silently into the depths of the palace. Once they entered Lyre's private chambers, they could talk.

"I am not looking for an assistant," said Lyre immediately after closing the door to his rooms, "but then you are not here to assist but rather to observe and learn how a true Advisor should act." This made him smile haughtily, thinking it quite an honor to be held in such high regard that the Order wished others to learn to emulate him, with that pleasing thought, he quickly warmed to the idea, if not to Tristan himself. Continued he, "after all, in a few months you will be off to that rebellious little city on the edge of nowhere. What did you do to get banished there? Well, never mind that, the High Council knows what it is about. While you are here your only job is to observe me and learn; you are learning from the best, if I say so myself!

There is an advisor here from the Brethren, perhaps if you two talked a bit you might learn more about their insignificant city-state. We attend the Queen whenever she is holding court or otherwise involved in public affairs, and we have one half-hour every week during which she will listen to us privately. She may also call upon us for advice at any time on matters of state, but if she requires information or advice, I will provide it. You do not speak unless asked a direct question by her Majesty or are directed to answer by me. She has the deepest respect for me and my wisdom; watch and learn well and one day you might gain such respect." He finished almost reverently, "now go tidy up, for the Queen is holding court this very evening and we must attend."

Tristan bowed himself out and found a servant waiting outside the door, who took him to a very small room just down the hall. Tristan wondered if they had remodeled a closet for his personal use, but he found his saddlebags and gear laid out on the bed, and as ordered, he quickly cleaned-up and changed his travel worn clothes. Shortly, Lyre came by to collect him, just walking in and not bothering with trivialities like knocking. This was going to be a lovely couple of months, thought Tristan grimly to himself. Together they walked to the grand chamber wherein the Queen held court, with Lyre insisting that Tristan walk a step or two behind, regaling Tristan on the whole interminable journey with accounts of his various triumphs throughout his long and glorious career. If they had not been walking, Tristan might have fallen asleep on his feet.

They entered the audience chamber and joined the small clump of advisors and representatives from other countries, various organizations, and any other foreigners who had an interest in the affairs of Vespera. In another clump stood various Generals and military experts, a third held well-to-do merchants and tradesmen, and the final group appeared to be the local nobles and important officials within the palace, city, or country. Anyone who had any interest at all in Vespera had a representative here as often as may be. A trumpet sounded as the Queen entered; she was a beautiful young woman, full of grace and wisdom. She took her seat and then the gathered representatives took theirs, running in a row along each wall, on either side of her throne.

"Captain Lyre," said the Queen formally, "I see you have brought a new face to this delightful gathering. Pray, who is he?"

"My Lady," Lyre bowed, "this is Lieutenant Tristan. He has come to learn what it means to be a royal Advisor. Fear not, he will not interfere or disrupt your Majesty in any way."

"Thank you, Lyre. I welcome you to Vespera, Lieutenant Tristan," said the Queen graciously, "I hope your stay will be beneficial." Tristan bowed in thanks and resumed his seat. The other people there present looked at him curiously, a few with obvious contempt. The evening passed slowly as various individuals, groups, or representatives came forward to have their cases judged by the Queen, from a dispute over who owned a runaway pig to nobles squabbling over property lines, the Queen judged each situation fairly, but with compassion. Tristan could see why she was so popular and successful a queen, though she was also relatively young. Occasionally during the course of the night, he thought he saw her glancing at him out of the corner of her eye, but perhaps it was just the flickering light of the candles. The court was dismissed, all stood as her Majesty walked gracefully out, and bowed as she passed. Some of the observers retreated immediately to their own chambers, but Lyre and Tristan lingered behind, which Tristan though odd, as with the Queen gone, Lyre had no one to impress.

"Conrad!" cried Lyre to a man standing nearby, satisfying Tristan's curiosity as to their prolonged presence after the Queen's flight. The man turned as they approached, and Lyre began, "I would like you to meet one of my associates; he is here to learn the ropes of being a royal Advisor. He has a great interest in the Brethren and I was hoping you could sate his curiosity."

Conrad smiled blandly at Lyre and then looked at Tristan, both bowed to each other and fought down delighted smiles, allowing only bland neutrality to grace each countenance. "I would be honored to speak with you at your leisure," said Conrad ironically.

"Thank you, I very much wish to become acquainted with you and your people," said Tristan dryly.

Lyre gave them both a strange look, but said nothing. "We shall retire now," ordered Lyre, "but I shall send Tristan to you tomorrow." Lyre could not wait to be rid of the irksome man, even his excellent example probably couldn't make a proper advisor out of the poor wretch!

Early the next morning, a servant woke Tristan, informing him that her Majesty had requested his presence on a midmorning ride, though slightly confused by the honor, he looked forward to meeting her Majesty. He knocked on Lyre's door and told the groggy Captain the news. Lyre was not surprised, the Queen often invited new members of her court out for some sort of activity in hopes of getting to know them, and their strengths and weaknesses, better. Tristan was advised to be completely submissive to her Majesty, to say nothing regarding the Order, and to flatter her Majesty at any opportune time. The idea was to keep her in the dark about their plans while winning her favor and trust; Tristan doubted very much that Lyre's methods would accomplish either but said nothing. Lyre also suggested that after his ride he should visit with Conrad until the Queen held court again that evening. Tristan brightened, feeling it would be a rather enjoyable day after all, he nodded his assent and went to clean up before breakfast.

Shortly before midmorning, a servant came to fetch Tristan, apparently his horse was misbehaving, again, and would not allow the grooms near her; Tristan could only sigh and follow the anxious servant to the stables. Upon entering the stable, the mare whickered eagerly and quietly submitted to him as he saddled her, though she did lay her ears back when he quietly suggested that perhaps she should let someone else do this next time or people might start asking questions. He led her out into the courtyard, where he met a mounted guard, who motioned for Tristan to follow. He swung into the saddle, followed the guard out a side door in the palace wall and into a vacant alley, and eventually came to a small gate in the side of the city wall that opened into the countryside. The Queen was waiting for them with another guard and one of her ladies.

"Welcome, Lieutenant Tristan," said she airily.

"Good day, my Lady," bowed Tristan.

"I like to know who attends my court," said the Queen, "that is why I have arranged this meeting. I wish to know you better and it will be beneficial for you to understand me as well."

She walked her grey gelding alongside the mare as they set off. The lady-in-waiting lagged slightly behind the Queen as the guards brought up the rear. As they rode, the Queen asked him all the vague and general questions espoused during such an interview, and Tristan answered each efficiently and as intelligently as one can answer so mundane a query. He in turn asked similar questions of her Majesty, which she answered with a wit and wisdom that left no doubt in his mind that hers was a keen mind and a sharp tongue.

After half an hour of such tedium, she kicked her gelding in the flanks and said, "perhaps you would care for a race?" She took off at a gallop, Tristan had no choice but to follow. The guards and the lady seemed used to this sort of thing, easily keeping apace despite the Queen's antics.

They galloped through open meadows, jumped fallen trees along a wooded path, and splashed through numerous small streams, making for an exhilarating and pleasant ride. Once the Queen's exuberance had abated, they returned their mounts to a walk and resumed their conversation. "You ride well, Lieutenant Tristan," said the Queen.

"Thank you, your Majesty, but please, call me Tristan," said he.

"As you wish," smiled the Queen, "I am glad to find you very much different from Lyre and many of his cronies." She continued, "he is an obsequious windbag, always boring me with some tedious compliment or story of his own greatness."

"I am glad you do not find me tedious, your Majesty," smiled Tristan.

"I am not sure how I find you," retorted she, "you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, or at least it would seem so if you had not taken up with those scoundrels from the Order."

"The course my life has taken of late has been very strange indeed, this was the last place I thought to find myself, but here I am and I must make the best of it," replied Tristan.

"Why not leave the Order and join a more worthy cause?" asked the Queen.

"It was a worthy cause that drove me to join," said Tristan dryly, "and it will be a worthy cause I continue to pursue long after I have resigned my commission with the Order." The Queen looked at him thoughtfully but made no reply.

"We will speak again later," said she, as she rode off with her retinue towards the city and her private gate. Tristan was left to enter through the main gate and find his own way back to the palace.

Upon his return, Lyre was nearly bouncing from foot to foot, anxious to learn how his conversation with the Queen had gone. Tristan recounted their encounter in brief; Lyre seemed content that at least he had not somehow irrevocably ruined any future relationship betwixt the Order and the Queen. Tristan was then sent off to find Conrad and was told to 'annoy' him until court was held that evening. Tristan eagerly sought out his old friend, hoping he would not have to spend too much time with Lyre in future, happily it seemed Lyre was more than happy to return the favor. Perhaps this assignment would not be as irksome as he had feared? A servant directed him to Conrad, whom he found him in the stable talking quietly to a dun stallion. Aria whickered excitedly from her stall, and without a word, both men saddled their mounts and headed out for a private ride. They said little as they wound through the crowded streets, but once they were alone upon a winding, forested path they began to talk in earnest.

"You were the last person I thought to meet here, especially in that uniform!" said Conrad with a laugh.

"It was the Lady's idea, not mine," grinned Tristan, "she thought someone needed to keep an eye on these imposters, and for some reason thought I was the man for the job."

"Remind me to stay on her good side or she might give me your job," laughed Conrad.

"It gets worse," said Tristan, "after Lyre decides I am ready, I get to return to Astoria as the Order's Advisor to the Lady."

Conrad wanted to laugh at such an absurd impossibility but the seriousness of Tristan's countenance gave him pause, "truly?!"

Tristan nodded but laughed wryly, "can this get any more confusing?" Both men laughed until they nearly fell out of their saddles.

Once they had regained some control over themselves, Conrad said, "I do not envy you your situation, but I think the more you irritate Lyre the less time you will need to spend here. The more you get in his way, the sooner he will write to your superiors and tell them that you are ready to go out on your own."

"I do not think I will have any trouble irritating Lyre," grinned Tristan, "he is already finding ways to get rid of me. Why do you think he is foisting me off on you?" They both smiled, Tristan was the last thing a man of Lyre's limited intelligence and huge ego needed, the only subordinate he would tolerate with equanimity would be one as obsequious and fawning as himself. Tristan was well-spoken, intelligent, and fawned over no one; he gave respect where respect was due, but did not fall all over himself trying to flatter his superiors. Lyre's current assignment was probably due as much to no one else wanting to work with him as to anything else: it was an unofficial sort of banishment. They rode and talked for many hours, but only reluctantly headed back to the castle to attend court that evening.

Lyre smiled blandly at Tristan as he approached, saying condescendingly, "have an enjoyable day? I had a very rewarding afternoon, as I was able to spend much uninterrupted time in deep thought." Tristan smiled blandly.

For the next few weeks, his schedule was very much the same; he attended Lyre at court and other required events, but was otherwise left to his own devices. Lyre found that he could not overawe Tristan with his supposedly superior knowledge, and he felt intimidated by Tristan's confidence and startling lack of concern about his opinions. Thus, Lyre banished him from his presence as much as he could without actually violating his orders. Tristan spent much time in Conrad's company and when he was not available, he went for long rides in the surrounding countryside. Besides for court each evening, Tristan was required to attend the half-hour weekly session in which the Queen would listen patiently as Lyre expounded on the glories of the Order, and more often himself. Tristan sat behind him and exchanged pained glances with Her Majesty over his shoulder, but neither spoke much, as Lyre talked so much that he rarely left room for any reply. The only other times Tristan had to make an appearance were at official court functions such as balls and jousts, and when the Queen specifically requested his presence, such as on their ride that first day.

Once or twice a week she seemed to seek him out, especially after a particularly trying session with Lyre. She seemed to appreciate having someone to talk to who was not particularly interested in influencing her opinions or gaining her favor. He gave her the respect and diffidence due a ruler of her station, but also treated her with the deference with which he treated every woman of his acquaintance. She enjoyed having someone see her as not only a Queen but also as a person. Tristan was the first person in a very long time who looked at her and saw something besides her crown. Lyre was quite annoyed that he was never called in for a private chat, especially after all his years of dedicated service. Unsurprisingly, it was not long before he sent a letter off to the Order stating his excitement in discovering Tristan's innate talent as a royal advisor and his hopes that Tristan would soon find a post of his own. An envoy was soon dispatched from the Order to brief Tristan on his next assignment while Lyre began counting the days until he was well rid of the fellow.

One night during one of the several balls the palace hosted each year, the Queen asked Tristan to dance. Usually she watched most of the dances, and if she did dance, it was with one of the local or visiting lords, to dance with an ambassador, especially of a rogue military unit, was almost scandalous. The court was intrigued, for they loved scandal. He was light on his feet and knew this particular dance well; the Queen was naturally graceful and this dance was her favorite, making the pair a pleasure to watch. She then proceeded to dance with a representative from each faction and group present in her court, if only to minimize some of the rumor and scandal. Lyre scowled the whole time, he was not well known as a dancer and the Queen never even looked in his direction. The only solace to him was that Tristan was leaving on the morrow. After Conrad's turn to dance with the Queen, she whispered something to him as they bowed to each other.

Some minutes later he sought out Tristan and led him aside, "the Queen wishes a private audience with you. She suggests you retire in half an hour and perhaps take a walk in the palace gardens. What is this about? Have you inadvertently seduced the Queen?"

Tristan gave him a horrified look at the very idea, "I hope it is nothing of the sort! Perhaps it is only to wish me farewell, as I am leaving tomorrow? I admire her greatly, but only as an accomplished and capable leader, certainly not as a man ought to love a woman, to say nothing of my Oath! What rumors have you heard?"

Conrad smiled reassuringly, "I have only noticed she seems to appreciate having such a listener. Do not worry; I have not heard anything suspicious or untoward. I only wanted to make sure you were going to be all right. Have a good trip and give my greetings to the Lady." They bowed to each other and parted company, though each wished for a far less formal and much more warm and hearty farewell, such could not be in their current roles and surroundings. Tristan waited half an hour and then left the ballroom, he paced gardens for some time, lost in troubled thought.

It was nearly midnight when a cloaked figure appeared silently beside him as he pensively strode the paths about the garden. With an unspoken accord, they retreated to a secluded corner before the Queen said quietly, "I hear you are leaving tomorrow?" Tristan nodded. "I wish you a pleasant journey and success in your future endeavors," said she, "but perhaps you do not have to leave after all? I have enjoyed our conversations and have come to greatly respect you. I have been courted by many lesser men, and until I am safely married, many more will pursue me. I do not wish to seem forward, but I see something in you that I have found in no one else: you have it in you to make a great leader and husband."

Tristan stared at her in astonishment for several long moments before he could find his voice, "Majesty, I am honored by your words and sentiments, but I never meant to endear myself to you. I have only ever treated you with the courtesy due a ruler or any woman, not to gain your respect or admiration but because it is your due. I greatly respect you as a person and a ruler, but you do not know what you ask! I am bound by oaths stronger than blood; I cannot marry anyone who has not taken the same Oath."

She looked at first affronted, then angry, and then a stubborn look entered her eyes, "what is the value of an Oath to a corrupt organization like the Order?"

"My Lady, if I broke any oath how could I claim to be an honorable man? But it is not any oath I have taken to the Order that binds me. If you must, talk to Conrad after I have gone...if you must know more. I wish you all the best in finding an honorable man and in the future success of your reign." With that, he fled from the garden and saw her no more, he smiled in grim irony that a warrior of his experience and skill could so easily be put to flight by the proposals of a young lady! She remained for some time thinking and gazing longingly in the direction of his flight, wondering what it was she had said or done or hadn't.

The next morning, Tristan was awakened by a knock at his door; the Order's envoy stood there with a servant beside him. The messenger entered the tiny room as the servant bowed himself out, "Tristan?"

"Yes," said Tristan wearily, for it had been a sleepless night.

"I bring information for your eyes alone," replied the envoy. He handed Tristan two pieces of parchment: one was a letter to him from the High Council of the Order and the other was addressed to the Lady of Astoria, demanding that he be allowed to stay on indefinitely as the Order's official emissary. The Lady would love that, but she had been forewarned. Tristan had sent off one of Conrad's pigeons with a message for her about his current and future assignments. The letter addressed to himself informed him that he could now call himself 'Captain' and outlined his duties as the official Advisor to the Lady of Astoria. He was to advise her in all matters regarding the Order, to attend her at all possible times, to inform the Council immediately of any important developments, and to eventually wheedle or intimidate her into allowing a garrison to be stationed in Astoria. He was also to keep his eyes open for any potential recruits for the Order, as locals might be easier to station there than foreigners, and anyone who might make a trusty spy. The Lady was going to love this, but then it was of her own doing! He quashed a wry grin at the thought before the envoy thought him insolent.

Tristan thanked the envoy, signed the form stating he had received the specified documents, and sent him on his way. He was packed and ready to go within half an hour. He knocked on Lyre's door and thanked him for his time and example, Lyre bid him adieu with more joy than befitted his departure, but as long as he was happy, Tristan would not ruin it for him.

At last allowing himself the pleasure of a wry grin, he went down to the stables and saddled Aria, not up for an argument if he dared ask the grooms to attempt the monumental task. He stopped briefly by the larder to acquire some trail-worthy food and a quick breakfast, and was well on his way shortly after sunrise. As he rode away, a great weight lifted from his shoulders and he urged the mare to a faster pace. She complied immediately, excited to be on the road once more; she despised being crammed in a stall and treated like a normal horse. Tristan laughed in relief, sharing her sudden sense of release. From a window high atop the palace, the Queen watched him ride off long after he was lost in the distance.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

29.2K 1K 11
life... Time... and Death, three pillars that hold each once's reality of Love, we seem to think each reality is to one's perspective, if so, is ther...
10 0 8
In a forgotten era, two extraordinary siblings possess the rare ability to manipulate earth, air, fire, and water. Bound by their immortality, they h...
109 13 15
[Entry for the 2021 Open Novella Contest with prompts 1 and 20!] "Truth is, there are no innocent people in this world. Never has been, never will be...
13 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...