Soul bonds

By Vwii2020

What if Wei Ying discovered his future even before he went to Gusu? Would he have fought to change it? Would... More

Prologue
Preparing to leave Lotus Pier
At the Cloud Recesses - Housemate
First night at the Jingshi
School starts
Brothers, Sisters and Engagements
Old bonds and new bonds
The Proposal of the Elders, Chenqing and a Confession
Light, colours and darkness
Falling
The flowers
Fragrance from the past
The book, the Rose and more...
An unexpected turn of events
Before the wedding
Wedding veils
The lily, the Brat and more
Glimpses of the past and the future
Where it started
Intoxication
Doubts
Mist lifted
Revelations
Dreams
White lotus and gentle joy
Faded blossoms
Lotus seeds
Wedding eve party
Morning after THE night
Lanterns and wedding banquet
Her first lantern
Mid autumn festival
Mid autumn moon magic
The heart of Yunmeng
"Take me"
Past mistakes
Lazy morning after
Hard lessons
From pauper to prince
Heart strings
The curse
Marked
Pure rays of the sun
Father and son
Hopeful
Bloody night
Tangled relations
Bittersweet
Heart Melody
An unusual request
The test
New leads, new hope
Gifts of love
A New Look
Ying-er
The third case
Healing blood
The Second of Jade Manor
The blooms of the 'Gift of the Blue Mountains'
The Rose at the Koi Tower
New home and muddled past
Light, love, shadows and spirits
Secrets that cannot be shared
Chaotic night
Living memories
The Master's call to the Yin shards
The secret ties
Visions of the Phoenix Mountain Hunt

Partners in crime

4.6K 230 42
By Vwii2020

Three weeks passed since the new batch of students joined the school. Lan QiRen sat at his desk trying to calm himself. He never felt so exhausted. He knew that with Wei Wuxian in this batch, life at Cloud Recesses would no longer be smooth. What he did not anticipate, was the impact of Wei Wuxian on his nephew Lan Wangji, his favourite disciple, a model student, known to be inflexible and restrained.

For the first time, Lan Wangji was reported to have broken rules. Although the boy accepted all the punishment inflicted on him without a word, Lan QiRen know that the cause of his mischievous behaviour was Wei Wuxian.

Lan Xichen knocked and waited at the door. Lan QiRen waved, asking him to come in. He bowed and sat.

"Xichen, I called you to talk about Wangji! I have no complaints about studies. But his behaviour is unacceptable!"

"Uncle, for the first time, he is with boys and girls of his age! Would you deny him these few months of fun? Even when he breaks a rule, he confesses and accepts his punishment. Besides he has done nothing more than playing some silly pranks and sneaking out with his friends to party, hunt and fish ...!"

"Xichen, I am worried for Wangji... Wei Wuxian ..."

"That is Fate, Uncle!"

This is why I am worried Xichen, Lan Qiren thought.

"Uncle, we have reports from Caiyi Town about water ghouls wrecking boats and dragging people in the waters. I will take a team and look into it tomorrow. It could be related to all the strange events happening."

"Very likely! Take Wangji with you!"

Xichen sighed. "Uncle, in that case, I might as well take the whole Gusu Gang with me!" 

Although Wangji was not still not very talkative, he was no longer a solitary boy. He had his own group of friends – Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng, Nie Huiasang, Wen Qing and Wen Ning. They would always sneak out together and, when caught, they were always punished together! They were known as the Gusu Gang at school and in town.

"Xichen! Are they back yet?"

It was Saturday, and nearly midnight! Lan Xichen knew that most of the students were out in town. In fact, there was a music festival tonight, and he, himself would be joining them, with some of his friends.

"Uncle, it's Saturday night and it's the music festival night!"

"Hmm" Lan Qiren shook his head. "Look after them, will you? Especially my precious Wangji! I am going meet Qingheng Jun now."

"Hmm" Lan Xichen bowed and left.

...

QingHeng Jun was sitting in meditation posture but somehow could not still himself. QingHeng Jun was the former leader of the GusuLan Sect and the father of Lan Xichen and Lan Zhan. He isolated himself in secluded meditation at his residence a very long time ago, since he married Madame Lan against the Clan's wishes, and transferred all his responsibilities to his brother Lan QiRen, including the education of his two sons.

Although he almost never left his residence, he knew all the affairs of the Sect and of Gusu. And lately, the hottest topic was his son Lan Wangji, known to be private, reserved, cold and strict. For the first time, his beloved son had friends and was having fun, even if it meant breaking rules and being punished! Whenever there was trouble or someone was pranked, it was found that Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were not far. It was whispered in hushed tones in class that they were partners in crime.

He heard a soft knock on his door. He raised and opened the door, "QiRen!"

"Elder brother!"

"What brings you here tonight?" The two brothers sat quietly.

"Hmm! Wangji and Wei Wuxian..."

"We made a promise QiRen..."

"I know... but I fear for A-Zhan!"

"A-Zhan? Why?"

"I don't want history to repeat itself!"

"QiRen, history will not repeat itself if no one goes against Fate..."

"A-Zhan is changing..."

"Then let him... He is opening up and having some fun! It's ok to break a few rules at their age, QiRen! How many did you break when you were young? So, tell me more about my A-Zhan...!"

"He went out with his friends last Friday. They had wine and A-Zhan got drunk after one cup!"

"Can't hold his alcohol! That's so unlike a Lan!" He must have inherited this trait from his mother!

"Hmm... and then he started to sing and dance on the table! Luckily, they were in our private room at the Gusu club, so other than his friends, no one saw him in that state!"

Qinghen Jun smiled. "His friends?"

Lan QiRen "Yes the Gusu Gang – Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng, Nie Huaisang, Wen Ning and Wen Qing... Other than Wei Wuxian, they were all very drunk and did not remember what A-Zhan did. Your son could not even walk back Cloud Recesses, so Wei Wuxian carried him on his back. He kept singing and smiling all the way, greeting all the buildings, trees and animals, telling them how much he loved them... Next morning, he came to confess, I had no choice but to punish him!"

"Such a sensitive child. The hard exterior is only a mask of his softness... Punishment is supposed to be a deterrent, no? Don't you think it's time to revise some rules? "

"Brother, I do not want A-Zhan to suffer!"

"He has to learn to enjoy happiness and endure pain. Sweetness and bitterness, ups and downs, night and day, good and bad, Yin and Yang – He has to accept – both are lessons in life!"

"Hmm"

"QiRen, how is your search going on?"

"Still nothing! But I am not giving up. I have a new lead... Wei Wuxian! He has the red ribbon ..."

"QiRen, A-Ying needs help to stabilise his cultivation! Musical instruments could help... Perhaps the dizi?"

"Hmm. I will talk to A-Huan!" Lan QiRen unclenched his fists and gave out a long sigh.

"QiRen, 20 years ago, there was another Gusu Gang that created havoc in this school... and you were the Gang Leader! It's your karma. Deal with the new Gang!"

The brothers looked at each other with melancholic smiles. Qingheng Jun, Lan QiRen, Jiang Feng Mian, Wei ChangZe and Cangse SanRen, they were closer than blood siblings and had sworn to protect each other.

"Elder brother, I could not fulfil my promise..."

"Don't be hard on yourself QiRen! We cannot change what happened! Only thing you can do is look after the kids... Who knows what the future holds?"

They sipped their tea and continued their conversation deep into the night.

...

Meanwhile, at the Gusu Club...

"Wei Ying, I am really bored! You are not letting me drink..." Lan Zhan pouted.

"You can't be the real Lan Wangji! Where is he? Who are you?"

"I left Lan Wangji at the door. I am Lan Zhan, your partner in crime and I want to drink with you!"

"Lan Zhan, if you drink, it will ruin my evening, I will have to take you back immediately! Let me finish this bottle at least..."

"Wei Ying, why are we not at the festival with others?"

"You hate crowds, so I thought we would be better here..."

"Better? How? Watch you drink wine while I drink tea? Are you crazy?"

"Ah... food has come... let's eat!" He brought a piece of tofu to the lips of Lan Zhan who happily ate it.

"Wei Ying! You are hiding something from me..." Lan Zhan said, talking mouth full and breaking an important etiquette rule!

"Me?" Wei Ying gave him his cutest, most baby like look.

"Come on bunny! Spill it out! Otherwise..."

"Otherwise what?"

"I will tickle you..." Lan Zhan said, smiling wickedly.

"All right, all right! I will tell you! I asked Nie Huaisang and Wen Ning not to come. And I wanted us to come here and not go with A-Cheng and Wen Qing. You get my point?"

"No"

"Lan Zhan, it's so obvious! A-Cheng and Wen Qing like each other, but if we are always sticking to them like glue, nothing is going to happen. So, I thought of giving them a little push tonight by sending them alone to the festival!"

Wei Ying had a smug look on his face, proud to have played cupid for his brother and his friend.

"Hmm!"

"Lan Zhan, we are on our own tonight! What do you want to do? We can still go to the festival if you want..."

"Yes, I want to!"

...

An hour later, they were at the music festival. It felt more like a fair with a mix of stalls for games, entertainment and refreshments, with lots of food stalls.

It was the first time they were seen together, outside Cloud Recesses. As they walked side by side, everyone starred and admired these two handsome young boys, almost as tall as each other, slender, with refined looks, both wearing the flowing white robes of GusuLan School, one with ice blue a forehead band and hair ribbon and the other with a red ribbon. It was hard to believe that there were just human cultivators; they looked like angelic twins!

Before that day, it would have been impossible to associate the two; Wei Ying was always smiling, exuberant, boisterous and frivolous while Lan Zhan was reserved, sophisticated, icy and austere. Nevertheless, the complicity between the two was obvious to everyone. Wei Ying was all over the place but never far from Lan Zhan; and Lan Zhan seemed oblivious to all his surrounding except for Wei Ying. When their eyes crossed, it was as if the world ceased to exist for them. It was like the Yin and the Yang, inseparable, complementing and balancing each other.

...

It was almost dawn when they returned to the Jingshi. They sat next to each other on the backyard deck. Lately, it had become their favourite place. Wei Ying was very quiet.

"Bunny are you OK?"

"Just tired! I will have a bath and I will go to sleep."

"Not so fast!" Without warning, Lan Zhan threw a coloured water ball at Wei Ying! They had bought a few packets to prank their friends at one of the stalls at the festival. The ball hit Wei Ying and burst, wetting him with yellow colour!

Lan Zhan rushed towards the backyard lawn. Wei Ying pick up his bag of coloured balls and rushed after him, shouting, "LAN ZHAN, you want your death! Wait!"

They fought, throwing balls at each other. Happy shouts and squeals of laughter filled the night, until they fell on the grass, exhausted, rolling and laughing, clinging to each other. They lay in each other's arms and fell asleep in no time.

...

When Wei Ying woke up, the sun was already very high in the sky. Lan Zhan slept blissfully in his arms, breathing softly. He caressed his head softly.

"Lan Zhan, wake up!"

"Hmm" Lan Zhan stirred, snuggled closer, "Don't want to wake up!"

"Yes, you have to. We need to clean up. Zewu June wants to meet us. I just received his message!"

"Hmm" And he dozed off again.

Wei Ying held Lan Zhan a bit longer and admired this sleeping beauty. Lan Zhan's robes was like a lovely painting, colours mixed expertly to make a masterpiece of his simple white uniform. With his forefinger, he traced the colours on his face; yellow on his eyelids, red on his forehead, green on his cheeks, orange on his nose, blue on his chin, purple on his neck, magenta on his ears. His pouty strawberry lips, naturally pink! His long black lashes fluttered as his feather touch tickled him. His Hanguang Jun, as beautiful as the rainbow!

"Come my baby, let's get cleaned up!"

...

Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were sitting at the Jingshi and having tea when Zewu Jun came. Both greeted him and Lan Zhan asked him to join them.

"How last night?"

"Nice..."

"Did you enjoy?"

"Hmm!"

"Did you rest well afterwards?"

"Hmm"

He looked at Wangji. He looked relaxed and happy. There was a hint of a smile on his face which was tinged in pink. He glance at Wei Ying, who was looking fondly at his brother, smiling. Zewu Jun grinned. He did not push for more. "Wei Ying, I think you need to check on Jiang Cheng!"

"Why? What happened?"

"I saw him with Wen Qing last night. They were enjoying the festival when Wen Chao appeared out of nowhere and created a scene!"

Wen Chao was the son of Wen Ruohan, Sect Leader of the QishanWen Sect. He was a mean spoilt ill-mannered person and was the cousin of Wen Qing.

Zewu Jun continued, "He said very inappropriate and disrespectful things to Wen Qing. Jiang Cheng got involved and it got to blows!"

"Oh my God, I missed this drama! Lan Zhan, we should have stayed at the festival!"

"Now don't start Wei Ying! You were the one who was tired! I wanted to stay!"

And they started bickering. Something which happened very often when they were alone and sometimes in the presence of Zewu Jun. It was difficult to stop them once they started.

"Do you want to know what happened next?"

"Sorry Elder brother"

"Wen Chao got a nice beating from Jiang Cheng! He passed out and his friends took him away. Jiang Cheng was also hurt in the fight. So, Wen Qin took him to the infirmary tent at the festival to check his wounds..."

"Zewu Jun, please skip the boring details..."

"Jiang Cheng confessed, Wen Qing accepted his confession and they kissed! In the middle of their make out session, Jiang Cheng passed out!"

Wei Ying was horrified, "The shame!" 😱

"And Wen Qing carried him on her back to the Cloud Recesses. Lady Ziyi allowed him to stay over when she heard what happened. When he woke up, Jiang Yanli told him what happened. Since then, he has locked himself and does not want to see anyone!"

Wei Ying paled, "He passed out while kissing a girl. Then the girl carried him back here!"

Zewu Jun, "Look on the bright side, Wen Qing is totally in love with him and does not care what anyone says or thinks!"

"My Shidi has defiled the family honour!" Wei Ying collapsed on the floor!

"Hey drama queen! Enough! We will talk to Jiang Cheng later! Brother, there was something important you wanted to discuss?"

"Yes, water ghouls at Caiyi Town. I need your gang to help me with this problem! We leave this afternoon. Any report on your side?"

"Wei Ying placed security trap talismans at various places in and around the forest. They were quite effective. We have caught and destroyed more than 25 spy owls!"

"Zewu Jun, these owls are not normal owls. They are controlled by resentment energy. Whoever is behind this, is also practising demonic cultivation!"

"Are you sure?" Zewu Jun looked really concerned.

"Absolutely!"

"Go have your lunch! We will leave to Caiyi Town as soon as possible. Wei Ying, talk to Jiang Cheng! I am going to brief Uncle QiRen!"

...

It was late afternoon when Zewu Jun, the gang and some more disciples returned from Biling lake to Caiyi Town. The problem with the water ghouls was more complex. During their investigation, they were drawn to the centre of the lake and realised that they had been lured by a waterborne abyss (an Aqua Demon).

Waterborne abysses could appear in both rivers and lakes and resembled a large, dark whirlpool, capable of destroying and swallowing anyone who would dare venture in their vicinity. There were created by frequent drownings; eventually, the resentful energy of the water ghouls from the drowned persons caused the water to develop into an Aqua Demon, which then claimed living human sacrifices to be pacified. The more people drowned, the more water ghouls would be spawn and the more powerful the Aqua Demon would be.

Zewu Jun concluded that the Aqua Demon was not from Biling Lake. There were reports that the QishanWen Sect suffered from the attacks of an Aqua Demon recently. It was likely that they could not purge the demon, so they simply drove it down the river, thus its recent appearance in Caiyi Town. 

Now that the investigation was closed, he invited the disciples to stay over at an inn in Caiyi  Town. It was quite an adventure, and everyone was weary. After diner, they all retired to their sleeping quarters.

...

"Lan Zhan!"

"Hmm"

"Thanks for saving me today!"

"Hmm"

"That SuShe! I don't trust him at all!"

"Hmm"

"He is jealous of you..."

"Hmm"

"I don't like him"

"Hmm"

"Am glad that Jiang Cheng is feeling better!"

"Hmm"

"You think he will sneak in Wen Qing's room tonight?"

"Shut up and sleep Wei Ying!"

"Hey seriously! I want to know!"

"They just confessed Wei Ying. Let them be!"

"You saw how lovey-dovey they were at dinner? It was so cute to see them together!"

"Hmm"

"Love is so beautiful!"

"Hmm"

 "Lan Zhan"

"Hmm"

"Have you ever fallen in love?"

No answer.

"Lan Zhan! Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying gently shook Lan Zhan. Lan

Zhan was already asleep!

Wei Ying pulled the covers over them and blew off the candles lights. He lay on his back, starring at the darkness. He felt himself being pulled by the side and Lan Zhan wrapped his arms around him in a warm cuddle. He turned slightly to face him and move so that their foreheads touched. He place a hand on his cheek. Lan Zhan, there are so many things I want tell you. But, it is not the time yet. One day, you will learn the truth. I may not be around by then... Please try to understand me. And please forgive me.

Silent tears streamed down his cheeks. Lan Zhan opened his sleepy eyes,

"Wei Ying, don't cry! Am here! Your partner in crime will always be by your side!" Lan Zhan wiped off his tears and dozed off again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 336 10
" I know he is alive .my wei ying couldn't leave me he is alive.. wei ying where are you " lanzhan continue chanting those hopeful word about his lov...
114K 8K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...
46.5K 4.5K 60
Wen RuoHan is defeated and Wei WuXian lies in the courtyard of the Fire Palace as if dead. The Healers can't detect his Golden Core because of the ma...
147K 7.3K 43
*completed* What if after 10 years of their marriage Wei Ying died. Having no golden core he cannot live long with his husband Lan Zhan. Devastated...