Legacy || Stargirl

By angelic-forever

"Woah, that's so cool!" "No! Not cool, Beth! This thing blew a hole in my bedroom wall!" ~~~~~ In which her w... More

Legacy
Cast
Prologue
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter One

594 18 35
By angelic-forever

Zoe wanted to smash her alarm clock. She hated it-it was loud, blaring maddening noises and it was taking away her sweet slumber.

But she didn't really think she would actually do that.

She practically jumped out of her bed at the shattering sound, blue eyes wide open and dreamland quickly forgotten. Although she was sure she was still dreaming, since there was no possible way she had broken to pieces her alarm. She had sleepily reached her arm toward it, intending to just shut it off and get a few more minutes of sleep, so how in the world did it happen?

It was completely crushed, clock pieces scattered as if someone hit it with a hammer. Zoe was about to take a closer look when she noticed something on her right hand. The girl yelped, caught off guard as a red mist started to surround her fingertips.

She tried to wave her hand around, hoping to get rid of whatever it was but it didn't even budge. In fact, it just seemed to get thicker, swirling on the palm of her hand until it regained a shape of what appeared to be a glowing scarlet sphere.

She flung her hand in the air again, attempting to get it off. As opposed to before, the bubble-like mist didn't stick to her hand but was sent flying through the air toward the other side of the room.

And now there was a freaking ball-sized hole in her wall, perfectly placed where the glowing sphere had collided with it.

Panicking, she did the only logical thing to do in the situation.

"Mom!"

Whatever this thing was, it scared her. She really didn't know what was happening or what to do. Maybe she was still sleeping? Maybe it was just one of those weird dreams where absolutely nothing makes sense? She wanted to pinch herself and maybe somehow wake up, but she tried her best to keep her hands away from her, fearing the mysterious mist would come back.

There was no answer from outside the room or from downstairs.

"Mom? Dad?" She had tried again. She could literally feel her heart beating out of her chest. There was no way it was a dream.

A red hue started to surround both her hands once again and the redhead's eyes widened. She was so freaked out she even attempted to open her door with her legs, not risking the door ending up blown up.

"MOM! DAD!" She shouted, running downstairs, only hearing an indistinct echo of her own voice in return. She checked the living room and then the kitchen and noticed a small note on the refrigerator.

Headed in early for work

have a great day at school - mom

Her mom went to work and her dad was probably already at Aunt Eliza's house, two hours drive away. She was alone.

"No, no, no, no," Zoe muttered, watching as the red shone brighter and with it, another sphere had been created. "Stop, stop!" she pushed her hands away from her face, preparing for the impact. Before she knew it, a crash sound was heard and she saw their kitchen trash can was now knocked down, bent in a weird shape, all its contents spilled on the floor.

This was the worst morning ever.

There was this weird tingling feeling, almost like electricity but different. She had barely noticed it with all her panic, but then the red mist disappeared and the feeling with it.

After waiting for the mist to return, and when she finally realized (ormore like hoped) it wouldn't happen, Zoe grabbed her phone. She thought about calling her parents, but she knew they were too busy to pick up. Her next best option, googling up "Red explosive bubbles are coming out of my hands", didn't end up as very helpful either.

She was about to give up and message her parents, hoping they would answer, when she got a message from her best friend.

🏈Arty 🏈

where r u?

pls dont tell me you overslept! our bio presentation is today!

For the first time this morning since the moment she woke up, Zoe glanced at the time only to find out she had already missed the first class.

Artemis would kill her if they messed up the presentation, it was too important for their final grade.

"Shit!" She cursed loudly, realizing that she was still in PJ's, her hair was frizzy and tangled and she didn't have her backpack ready. Not to mention the kitchen was a smelly mess, she forgot where she had put her biology notes and she definitely didn't have time to eat breakfast.

It really was the worst morning ever.

~~~

It was by some miracle that she had managed to get to school before the end of the second class. They had an about ten minutes break which Zoe hoped was enough for her to reread her presentation notes, but right now she was really trying her best to focus and keep her eyes open.

She had to fight the waves of fatigue that appeared out of nowhere. It was a miracle that she didn't fell asleep on the way to school.

"Glad to see you're awake, Sleeping Beauty," A voice next to her called. She didn't need to turn around to see who it was. She didn't reply, continuing to focus on the task at hand, but she should've known better than ignoring him, "What did you suddenly lose your voice, Ariel?"

"If that's a movie reference, you know I don't get it," She replied shortly.

"I still don't understand how of almost 8 billion people in the world one of my best friends don't even know what Disney-"

"Can you be quiet for a second? I have to concentrate and you're not helping, Jacob!" Zoe snapped, almost immediately regretting it. She knew Jake was just teasing her, probably just trying to lighten up the mood. But her eyelids felt heavy and suddenly the all this biology stuff seemed to be way harder than it had been a week ago and she had like six minutes till class and-

"Is everything okay?" He asked after a moment, his gaze mixed with clear worry and confusion. They joked around a lot but she rarely got angry with him. She didn't answer him, she wasn't sure where to begin, but Jake didn't give up, "Are you okay?"

Before she could even try to answer the bell rang loudly, making the two get up.

The moment Zoe stepped into the classroom she saw Artemis had already gotten everything ready for the presentation. The Asian girl stood at the front part of the class, her sour expression quickly replaced by a relieved one as she saw the redhead.

"Are you ready? You have your notes?" Artemis checked. Zoe knew the girl was eager to get this done so she could go back to her training.

"Right here," She held them up, but somehow ended up losing her balance. She caught herself and hoped Artemis had only seen it as an act of clumsiness.

'That's what it is, right? I'm just being a little clumsy. Nothing else is wrong.'

Somewhere in the haze of everything, the teacher walked in and motioned for the two to start. Artemis began explaining about their subject for the presentation, but Zoe couldn't figure up why her voice started to sound distanced. She also didn't realize why Jake, who was sitting in the second row suddenly looked so alarmed.

Were there supposed to be black spots at the corner of her eye?

Before she realized, the world spun and she decided to take a short nap.

It felt like only a second later, but when Zoe stirred awake, she realized that she was laid on the ground. Her eyes locked with Jake's green ones as she started to gather her thoughts. He and Artemis were crouched down next to her, each on a different side, seeming worried yet now relieved. Mrs. Nolen was standing behind them and she could see Beth Chapel, Jenny Williams and a few more classmates peeking at her as well.

"What happened?" The girl asked, exhaustion coating her voice.

"You passed out for like five minutes," Artemis explained, supporting the redhead when she tried to sit up, "Hey, take it easy.".

"How are you feeling? That didn't seem like a soft landing," Jake continued, referring to the ground.

Zoe halted, trying to check if something was wrong but she realized she didn't feel any pain at all and it didn't look like she was hurt in any way. "I'm fine," She proclaimed, "I'm just really really tired."

"It's best you go to the nurse," Mrs. Nolen instructed, stepping back as she gave the girl more space, "Go back to your seats, everyone. Mr. Miller, would you please accompany her to the nurse room?"

"Of course," Jake answered, carefully placing his arm around her waist as they both lifted from the floor. She stumbled on her feet for a moment and Artemis rushed to support her from her left.

"I'm coming, too," The brown-haired girl announced, staring at Zoe with concern.

"No, that won't be necessary. I'm sure they can handle it without you," The teacher waved off, but Artemis was never one to take no for an answer, especially when her mind had been set on something.

"I don't care. She's my best friend and I'm going with her," Artemis firmly said, looking at Mrs. Nolen with an almost challenging gaze. The woman sighed, obviously displeased with her student, but she didn't want to cause another commotion and dismissed the three.

Stuff finally seemed to clear up around, her vision was not as blurry as before and she was actually feeling slightly better than before. However, it didn't stop the girl from feeling guilty of what happened.

"I'm sorry I messed up the presentation." She broke the silence, glancing at her two best friends with apologetic eyes.

"If anything, I should be sorry." Artemis sighed heavily, "I should've noticed you weren't feeling well. I'd just thought you were nervous and then you really scared us."

Zoe's mouth fell open at the unforeseen confession - it was rare to hear the brunette apologize to anyone. "It's my fault too, and I'm feeling better now, I promise."

When they got to the nurse room, Zoe was immediately rushed inside while Jake and Artemis waited outside.

"Oh, my dear, what happened?" Ms. Johnson asked, quickly making the young girl sit down on the chair in front of the table she was working on. Ms. Johnson was fairly new in the job but Zoe loved her, and so did everybody else in the school. She was smart, kind, and made each student feel welcomed and comfortable, unlike many of the other teachers.

"I passed out in class," Zoe told her simply, "But I feel better now, really,"

Ms. Johnson furrowed her eyebrows and started to check the girl's blood pressure. "Has this happened before?" Zoe shook her head no. "Have you been feeling unwell?"

"I just feel really tired. You know, schools should really have a nap hour or something like that," She joked, seeing a smile playing on Ms. Johnson's lips as well.

"Is there anything else I should know about? Something else that happened today?" The young nurse looked at Zoe curiously.

'Will that be weird to tell her that I woke up and explosive red bubbles were shooting out of my hands?' Zoe pondered, realizing how crazy she would sound. 'Maybe she could help or-'

"Miss Bennet? Zoe?" Ms. Johnson's voice drove her out of her thoughts, giving her the same worried look her best friends had when she passed out.

"I missed breakfast," Zoe blurted, feeling panicked all of the sudden. "I woke up late and forgot about it,"

"I see," The nurse hummed to herself, rolling in her chair towards her computer, "Well, I think it would be best to call your parents to pick you up so you could get some rest,"

"No, you really don't have to!" The redhead quickly said, "My dad is out of town and my mom is probably really busy. I can just walk home by myself, get some fresh air and everything."

"Zoe, you look really pale,"

"I'm always pale, it's kinda my default state. I feel better now,"

"Maybe, but that's not up to you decide and I'm sure your mom would agree with me." Ms. Johnson got Zoe's mother's phone from her computer and called to tell her everything. She could hear her mother's voice but couldn't make up what she had said.

After a few moments the call between the two ended, Ms. Johnson told the girl that her mother would get here soon and wished her to get well soon.

'I don't need to get well, I'm not sick! I'm just...'

With a deep sigh, Zoe left the room. Jake, seeing the fallen look on the girl's face, was quick to jump on his feet and walked over to her.

"You okay? What did she say?"

"Nothing, just that I need to rest. Mom's picking me up. Where's Artemis?" Zoe asked, noticing the disappearance of the brunette.

"She went to get your stuff," He answered and that was when she noticed he wasn't exactly looking at her, more like in her direction but he was avoiding looking at her eyes.

"Hey," She began, hoping he would actually look at her, but when he still didn't she continued, "I'm sorry for this morning,"

That seemed to do the trick, as now his dark green eyes were met with her blue ones. However, she could see the cautiousness there, among something else she wasn't sure of. She didn't like it. "I was mean and rude and I hope you can forgive me,"

"Yeah of course," He said and she immediately felt calmer, "But you need to make it up to me so we're having a Disney Marathon this weekend at my place,"

Zoe groaned and buried her face in her hands, "You're the worst,"

The boy laughed at her reaction, nudging her shoulder, "Come on, think of it as a replacement for what happened last night,"

All at once, the puzzle seemed to fit. Last night. Last night with the girl and the glowing stick. Last night and the red light. The exact same light that covered her hands that morning.

When her mom arrived Zoe was caught into a tight hug. Her mom was still in her work clothes, the silver tag name with "Dr. Bennet" on it was glistening in the sunlight, almost blinding Zoe when the two pulled away.

"What exactly happened?" Her mom asked as the two got into the car.

"I'm not sure. One second I'm standing at the front of the class for the biology presentation and the next thing I know I'm on the floor feeling really tired." Zoe answered, "I'm sorry you got out of work, I tried to tell the nurse I was fine but she didn't listen,"

"It's fine sweetie," Her mother reassured, "I was going come early anyway and get ready for the open night. But you need to stay home and rest and instead so how about we have a pizza night together, sounds good?"

"What? No! I told you I feel fine!" Zoe insisted, not wanting to miss the open house. She knew how much her mom loved seeing the people of the town when she was out of work and Zoe loved the free food so it was a win-win situation for both of them.

"Zoe, I don't want you to-"

"Come on, mom, I'll be okay! I promise I'll rest until the evening and if I feel weird I'll tell you," Zoe promised, hoping it would be enough to convince her mother.

"I'll think about it," Her mother muttered, but Zoe knew her too well to know it meant a yes.

When they got home, she let out a breath she didn't notice she was holding. It was time to tell her mom everything about last night and everything that happened this morning - because right now she felt more lost than ever.

"I need to tell you something," Zoe started carefully.

"Alright, just let me grab some coffee first," The older woman said in return. The redhead noticed the faded dark circles under her mom's eyes, along with the quiet and short yawns she let out on their way home. She was exhausted and stressed, her job sometimes taking its toll on her, and with that thought in mind Zoe decided to just tell her tomorrow.

"It's nothing," Zoe dismissed quickly, thinking of an excuse, "I, uh, just got a B+ in the algebra quiz."

Her mother nodded, "I know, you told me yesterday,"

"Right," Zoe replied slowly and her mom raised her eyebrows at her with a questioning look, "You know, I think I'm just gonna take a quick nap and a shower."

Her mom looked confused for a second, scrunching up her nose. She looked around and Zoe's watched as the realization dawned on her.

"What is that smell?" She walked around and made her way toward the kitchen, "And what in the world happened to the trash can?"

Zoe shrugged and practically zoomed upstairs to her room after hearing that, shouting that she had no idea and closed the door to her room.

She made a quick mental note to get a new trash can.

~~~

The red mist was back again.

Although this time it wasn't formed in a sphere shape but was covering Zoe's hand in a thin layer, almost like a glove.

She was about to freshen up before they got ready for the open house at the school, but now she was frozen in her place at the sight. She couldn't feel the cool sensation of the water as it streamed down on her hands. She could barely feel the pressure of the water stream, only a gentle tingling instead.

Zoe pulled her hand in and out of the stream, watching as the mist glowed brighter under the pressure.

She changed the temperature, now to the hottest option, something that under any other circumstances would have caused her to have burns her for sure. Steams started to form, signaling the waters were truly boiling, but Zoe still didn't feel a thing.

~~~

"I'd like to thank you all for coming to what is my favorite night of the year here at Blue Valley High." Principle Bowin began her speech with a proud smile, "These boys and girls of yours are the future of America, including my own son, Isaac. I love you, sweetie.

Everyone in the audience aww-ed as Principle Bowin winked at her son. Zoe, Artemis and Jake however were snickering quietly in their seats.

"I'd like to thank a few of the many supporters that made that possible. Councilman Zarick, for his undying commitment to making sure our school receives the funding it needs. Doctors Henry King, Bridget Chapel and Julia Bennet of the Blue Valley Medical Center... for their generous volunteer work supporting our teams."

"Go Prairie Dogs"! The Crock family stood up in their seats and cheered loudly. The principle and the crowd laughed at the outburst.

"And, finally, everyone employed by The American Dream by Blue Valley Tires. The lifeline of this town. Please, stand up. Everyone give a hand to the backbone of this great community."

Jake's parents rose up along with most of the people in the hall. Zoe and her mom clapped loudly, and the room was filled with the sound of applause.

After the whole formal speech stuff, people started to get up from their seats, chattering with each other and eating.

Zoe spotted her mom talking with Principle Bowin and the Johnsons, smiling brightly at them. Her mom loved the people in Blue Valley. But then her eyes caught something else.

"Hey, what's your dad doing?" Zoe asked Artemis, watching as Larry, or Crusher as he would often refer to himself, snatched a cookie out of a man's hand with a disapproving look. She didn't recognize him and figured up he was probably the new girl's father or something.

"No cookies policy." Artemis replied just as her dad threw the poor, innocent cookie into the trash.

"Are you sure about that?" Jake popped up next to them, holding out an open box of the famous cinnamon cookies from the night before. Artemis' eyes widened, frantically looking around for her parents.

"You two are going to get me in so much troubles," She said as she grabbed a cookie and shoved it into her jacket pocket. Jake's eyes glinted mischievously at her words knowing that saying no to his dad's cookies was a nearly impossible task.

Their parents approached them not long after, as well as Henry Sr. and his son.

"Julia, where is Ray?" Eddie Miller, Jake's father, asked her mom. "Don't tell me he's working."

"He was supposed to be here, but he had to help his sister." Her mom smiled, "She's moving houses and stuff got a bit complicated, so he'll be back tomorrow."

"Let him know I want to see him back in my gym. It's been too long and he needs to take care of those muscles like I do," Artemis' dad said, showing off his biceps.

There was no one is in Blue Valley or maybe in the whole world that was more obsessed with fitness than the Crock family and Zoe was sure of it. One time, Artemis told Zoe of her daily extensive workouts and Zoe was terrified.

"They say my daughter will be the first woman drafted into the NFL." Paula, Artemis' mom, said as the adults continued to talk among themselves.

"You say it, Mom." Artemis commented.

"Your father does, too." She replied, putting her arm on her daughter's shoulder proudly.

"It's true. I'm a bragger with this one". He said in return but was cut off when Henry Sr. excused himself and walked away. Larry was quick to recover though, "You know what they say, it's not bragging if it's true."

Zoe looked over to Henry, who was still standing next to them. He seemed confused and uncomfortable. She couldn't recall the last time he'd been to a school gathering as it really wasn't his thing. Zoe assumed anything that didn't include, partying, alcohol and sports wasn't his thing.

He noticed she was staring at him and glared at her, as if to say, 'What are you looking at?'

She rolled her eyes lightly and turned to Jake.

"I admit, I saw your daughter playing and she really has a natural talent." Zoe's mom complimented genuinely.

"Speaking of talents, you kids are going to the talent show tomorrow?"

"Yea-"

"No. Our daughter has some extra training to do for the upcoming game. Gotta keep the team's star in shape," Paula interrupted her daughter, failing to see the disappointment in her eyes.

Artemis loved playing football and leading the school's team to victory, she wouldn't trade it for the world. However, it often came with a price. She missed out a lot because of her strict lifestyle. She'd always brushed it off and said she 'will make it next time.', But Zoe could tell it sometimes got to her and bothered her.

"It's probably going to be the same as last year," Jake said, noticing Artemis as well.

"Yep. Probably just going to be boring," Zoe added simply, "Mind if we come to your practice instead?"

Artemis was beaming at that, it meant a lot to her and the three of them knew it.

Zoe couldn't help but smile. With Jake and Artemis by her side, she knew everything would be just alright.

I know, I know. This update took wayyyyy too long, but I was overwhelmed with Finals.

I hope you like that! Please make sure to let me know what you think 😊

Like last time, I just finish this chapter, so I'll probably go back and edit it in the future. Go easy on me, my first language isn't English lol

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

I'm starting to work on a special Wattpad Project for the Stargirl Community!

It's going to be featuring the original characters that were created by:
-MissSwan WriterScarlett_0704 and Rosemusic18

Here's a little teaser featuring our beloved blonde speedster, McKenna Garrick!

Stay tuned ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 99 27
My name is Courtney Whitmore. When my mom got remarried, I knew my life would change, but I had no idea how much. After we moved to Blue Valley, I ex...
66K 2K 31
" i feel like there is a void in me. one that is going to stuck up everyone around me and ruin them. " " there is so much more to you than the darkne...
1.7K 42 9
Dc one shots/ girlfriend scenarios with some of your favorite Dc female characters, Hope you enjoy I do not own anything
425K 13.1K 24
❝She's a live wire.❞ ━ suicide squad ━ harley quinn