Bye Gymnastics, Hello Boardin...

By silverandblacklining

Savannah Greene has to deal with life out of gymnastics. She is forced to retire and sent away to a boarding... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 (Final)

Chapter 8

5.6K 118 19
By silverandblacklining

            “Your uncle is the most decorated Olympian of all,” I gasped.

            He sighed, “Pressure was multiplied by ten.”

            “Is that why you quit?” I asked.

            “We’ll talk about me later. What did you say in your Whatsapp?”

            I blushed, “I kind of used you as an alibi to why I didn’t make curfew yesterday.”

            He arched an eyebrow, “Oh really.”

            “Yeah, so I was wondering if you’d accompany me to training. You don’t have to come every day, but just today so the matron that caught me yesterday would buy my lie yesterday.”

            He smirked, “Won’t your gymnast boyfriend be jealous?”

            I shrugged, “If it gets me that much closer to going back to him, I’m sure he won’t mind. Plus we aren’t doing anything wrong!”

            “Alright, I’ll do it tonight. But you should really work on your grades,” he nagged.

            “I haven’t any time! In between school, cheer and the gym, I don’t even know how I manage to bullshit through my homework to make it look like I actually tried,” I sighed.

            “Swimmers only have one goal; to finish the fastest. Gymnasts have routines, which sometimes don’t work, right?”

            I nodded. Where is he getting with this?

            “When plan A doesn’t work out, you have to have a plan B,” he continued.

            “I know. I’m trying my best to follow the syllabus,” I replied.

            “Following isn’t good enough. Tell you what, why don’t I tutor you?”

            My eyes widened, “You can’t be serious. I haven’t any time at all.”

            He shrugged, “We’ll make time. Like free period and breaks.”

            “You don’t have to do this, Jeremy,” I replied. I was pretty reluctant on taking up his offer. I don’t even know how I have time to sleep and bathe.

            “I want to. Savannah, I know the Olympics feels like the only thing you have to look forward to, but that’s not your only future. It doesn’t have to be your only future,” Jeremy said calmly.

            “I want the Olympics to be my future.”

            He exhaled, “Every athlete dreams of going to the Olympics, but many have no futures after their Games.”

            “Not all gymnasts only go for one Olympics. Oksana Chusovitina from Germany is 37 and she competed in the 2012 Olympics, and 5 before that,” I retorted.

            He sighed, “I’m not trying to talk down to you, Savannah. I’m trying to be honest and set some perspective. I don’t know any U.S. female gymnast who has been to two Olympic Games. Many have tried for comebacks, Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone, just to name a few.”

            I gave up, “Fine fine. If I find time, you’ll tutor me.”

            He grinned, “That’s all I wanted to hear.”

            After school, I popped to cheer practice to learn the routine from Alexa and Mia.

            “So basically, we’re going to cheer during football meets, the usual,” Alexa explained.

            “I thought you wanted to make an All-star team and compete, Alexa,” I replied.

            “Oh honey, we’re not all elite gymnasts. Maybe we can train the new generation, but no way will we be able to form an All-star team this year,” she replied.

            I shrugged, “Okay, so will I be posing at the side or something?”

            Mia and Alexa gave each other mischievous looks. “How much do you weigh, Savannah?”

            “I’m not flying!” I retorted.

            “Come on! You fly on your horse thing in gymnastics don’t you?” Mia whined.

            “You mean to pommel horse? That’s for men. Do you mean the vault?”

            Mia shrugged, “I don’t know gymnastics talk, but I know you girls are flyer material!”

            “But I have much greater muscle mass compared to the two of you!” I fought back.

            “Yeah, but you’re also shorter. Flyers have to have muscles!” Alexa argued.

            “Come on guys. Gymnastics is a solo sport! I don’t mind dancing, tumbling and even leaps, but stunting isn’t something I’d be willing to do.”

            “Our bases are really strong!” Alexa retorted.

            I sighed and shook my head.

            “How about you try a simple stunt? Like an elevator,” Mia suggested.

            I sighed, “Alright fine.”

            Two burly guys stood up from the stretch circle and joined us three on the stunting mat.

            “Savannah, meet the top bases, Kevin and Nick,” Alexa introduced quickly.

            I shook both their hands and smiled. They looked pretty strong. I really hoped they could lift me.

            “We think Savannah could be our next top flyer,” Mia chirped.

            Kevin nodded, “She’s short and looks pretty light.”

            “I’m kind of heavy. I have tons of muscle mass,” I replied.

            “Oh right, Olympic hopeful gymnast,” Kevin said.

            Alexa taught me the counting and we practiced getting up in a safe position. I was used to being up in the air on beam and bars, but I guess I had trust issues.

            “Okay let’s try, five, six, seven, eight,” Mia began counting.

            I followed the counting and stood up, my hands in a high V like they taught me.

            “Good, Savannah!” Alexa commended.

            “Yeah, you’re right, you’re not that light!” Kevin said.

            “Sorry, um I can go down,” I said.

            “It’s all good. We’ve had heavier flyers,” Kevin replied, his body rock solid.

            “Could you guys try a mini toss?” Mia asked.

            “What? No jumping!” I retorted, still tensing my body.

            Alexa rolled her eyes, “Just a small jump and the guys will catch you!”

            “I don’t know how!” I retorted.

            “Just jump and fall on your ass!” Mia yelled.

            She began counting but I was still utterly terrified.

            I jumped and closed my eyes shut.

            They caught me, thankfully.

            “It’s all about trust!” Mia lectured.

            I mumbled, “I’m not very good with that.”

            Alexa sighed, “Could we at least try a basket toss? And a couple more stunts before you go?”

            Alexa has done so much for me. Not being a bitch was most of it. “Fine,” I replied glumly.

            I did my best flying, did some tumbling passes which everyone applauded to, and headed off to meet Jeremy to training.

            “Coach, this is my friend, Jeremy,” I introduced Jeremy to my coach.

            He studied Jeremy for awhile, “Anna, didn’t you say you were with Wesley Tucker?”

            “I am!” I replied quickly.

            “Hmm,” he replied.

            “Anna, I can only train you for an hour every day,” Coach said abruptly.

            My heart nearly fell out, “Why?”

            “I think you could really benefit with two hours in the gym by yourself. Only if Jeremy behaves himself,” he darted to Jeremy.

            Jeremy quickly seized the opportunity, “If you will consent it coach, would it be okay if I tutor Savannah while she’s flying about in your gym?”

            Coach Jr gave me an approving look, “Good to see you trying to keep up with your studies, Anna.”

            I gave him a sarcastic smile. We got back to training, and later tutor with Jeremy.  

            Jeremy and I rushed back to JBA, five minutes before curfew. He walked me to my dorm, and a very disapproving matron walked pass, but kept quiet.

            “You’re amazing, Savannah,” he said.

            “Oh stop it, you!” I imitated the popular meme.

            He laughed, “You’re such a dork!”

            “One minute I’m amazing, the next I’m a dork?”

            “You’re an amazing dork,” he grinned.

            I grinned back. We stood there chuckling and giggling awkwardly.

            Then, he did what I had anticipated the entire day: he leaned in to kiss me.

            I didn’t push him away. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 94 12
The fourth book & after She's Gone & I'm The Reason Why ⚠️ Mature: A Bit of Cursing Jethro Gibbs has just lost his wife, Jacqueline Sloane. He can't...
188K 3.4K 42
She's Bucky Barnes' daughter. She just doesn't know it yet. Vera has the meaning of faith... she just doesn't have it. Marvel but add a little ✨spice...
3.6K 1K 41
Damn, I want her. I need her! But I can't get her! I huff at Alex ,He's been giving me courage to woo Txunamy. God, she's fucking beautiful. But she...
67.6K 2.7K 37
α΄…Ιͺᴠᴇʀɒᴇɴᴛ; ᴛᴇɴᴅΙͺΙ΄Ι’ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ α΄…Ιͺκœ°κœ°α΄‡Κ€α΄‡Ι΄α΄› ᴏʀ α΄…α΄‡α΄ α΄‡ΚŸα΄α΄˜ ΙͺΙ΄ α΄…Ιͺκœ°κœ°α΄‡Κ€α΄‡Ι΄α΄› α΄…ΙͺʀᴇᴄᴛΙͺᴏɴꜱ.