Love Me

By Detentionqueen

Pain, hatred and abuse are the only things Alyssa Jordan knew after the unexpected death of her parents. Unlo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Author's Note
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Character Reviews
Chapter Fifteen
1K!!!
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Special Announcement!!!!!
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Face Reveal!!!
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-one
Chapter Fourty-two
Epilogue
Special Chapter
Graham Family Moments
Lianne's Revenge
Announcement

Chapter Nine

29.7K 1.1K 345
By Detentionqueen

A son? Nathan has a son?

“N...no. He n...never mentioned he had a...a child.” I answered her question.

“Oh, dear.” She commented.

Oh, dear indeed.

“Um, well, surprise!” She said desperately, trying to lighten the mood.

It didn't work. She was tense, I was tense. All that was going on in my head was that Nathan had a kid and didn't tell me. If I marry him, I'm going to be the boy's stepmom. That can't happen. I have no experience with children whatsoever. I can't be a stepmom, I can't.

“Honey, sit down, you look like you're going to faint.” I heard Sophia say as she led me to a chair.

I took a few deep breaths, calming myself before I spoke again.  “Sorry, I'm acting like this.”

“It's alright, dear, I know how I felt when Nathan's father told me he had another child.” She told me compassionately. “Nathan should have told you beforehand.”

He really should have.

There's a lot you haven't told him, so stop being a hypocrite.

I sighed softly. My subconscious was right. I shouldn't be judging Nathan when I had secrets that I had no intention of telling him about.

“I missed you a lot, Dad.” I heard to the boy say from the living room.

“I missed you too, Olly.” Nathan replied.

“Why didn't you take me with you?” The bo... Oliver whined. “I thought you were going to bring my new mum for me, where is she?”

So Nathan told him about me. Hm.

“You'll meet her soon, Oliver, but...” I couldn't hear the rest of their conversation as Nathan began to whisper.

Among all the questions I had, there was one that I was particularly curious about.

“Where's Oliver's mother?” I asked Sophia.

I noticed the anger that filled her eyes before she took a breath, giving me a small smile. “That's a story you have to hear from Nathan, not me.” Was her reply. I just nodded, not having anything to say. “Lunch is ready, I think you should meet Oliver before we eat.”

“Okay.” I breathed.

Nervousness gnawed at my insides as we walked out of the kitchen. Nathan was the only one there, making me think maybe I imagined the child. That was until I heard the sound of little feet on the floor and a boy came running in.

He stopped, staring at me and I did the same. He looked so much like Nathan. Curly brown hair, grey eyes. But his skin was a little paler than his father's.

Wow, this is really happening.

I was surprised to see the excitement that filled his eyes and the bright grin on his face after a few seconds. It was so sudden. I had to steady myself to prevent falling because the little boy had launched himself over and was hugging my legs.

“Um.... Hello.” I said awkwardly and pat his head just as awkwardly.

“Hi, it's so nice to meet you, I'm Oliver. I don't know your name, what is it?” He pulled away and started rambling. “Are you really going to marry my Dad? Do you like cartoons? If yes, what's your favorite? And between a super-powered SpongeBob and Batman, who would win in a fight? What's your favorite...”

“Calm down, Olly.” Sophia said with a laugh.

He immediately stopped bouncing with excitement and looked down shyly, his cheeks colouring. “Sorry, I'm just really excited.” He muttered, looking at me through his eyelashes. He had a British accent too and it was absolutely adorable.

I bent down to his level with an affectionate smile. “It's Okay.” I told him. “Hi, Oliver, I'm Alyssa, nice to meet you.”

“Alyssa.” He repeated. “You have a pretty name, I like it.”

“Thank you.”

“Can I call you Ally?”

“Sure.”

He grinned again and surprised me with a hug, this time to my neck. Out of instinct, I wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him gently.

This was the first time I was getting a hug in years. Although it was from a kid, it didn't stop it from feeling nice. Great, actually. I think I would enjoy living with Oliver. If I marry Nathan, that is.

I mean, I would love to spend more time with Oliver, but I don't think marriage is for me.

“Time for Lunch!” We heard Sophia announce from presumably the dinning room.

It was only then that Oliver pulled away from me, still grinning.

“Let's go, eat. My granny's cooking is the best!” He said, dragging me by my hand to the backyard. There was a picnic table with everything set on it for lunch and Nathan and his mother seated already. “You can sit by me.”

Oliver stopped seeing that Nathan and Sophia were sitting opposite each other so there was no way we could sit next to each other. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he thought of a solution.

“Dad, could you sit next to granny so the pretty lady can sit next to me?” He requested with these cute puppy dog eyes.

Nathan laughed. “So you'd rather sit with 'the pretty lady' than with your own Dad?”

Nathan thinks I'm pretty.

Oliver put his hand on his chin, stroking it and looked up like he was thinking. “Of course I would. She's pretty and you're well... you”

Nathan's eyebrow shut up in surprise as he looked at his son. “For that I'm not moving anywhere.” He said.

“Suit yourself.” He turned his grandmother. “Granny, can you sit next to Dad?”

“Of course, love.”

By the time the we had finished dessert and the plates were cleared, Oliver had captured my heart. He loved talking and bantering with his dad. I could tell they were really close and respected Nathan for raising Oliver as a single dad. I may not know anything about parenting but I know it's hard and Nathan was able to do it all on his own and he's doing a great job.

Oliver it's such a sweet child, polite, friendly. I would love being his stepmom.

So no more doubts about marrying Nathan, huh? My subconscious teased.

Yes. I was going to marry Nathan. I couldn't let Hailey raise Oliver, she'd corrupt him. And to be honest, I'm just an inch away from loving him. Oliver, I mean.

“I think it's time we leave.” I heard Nathan announce.

“Already?” Sophia almost whined.

“Mum, it's nearly seven.”

“You can stay a while longer.”

Nathan sighed and looked at his mother apologetically. “Mum, Oliver is about to fall asleep. I promise, we'll visit some other time.”

It was her turn to sigh. “Oh. Alright. Let me say goodbye to Oliver while you get his bags.”

Nathan agreed. Sophia came to my side and stroked Oliver's cheek. The boy, who was half asleep on my lap only stirred, nestling his head on my chest. It was surprising how fast he warmed up to me. I've heard stories of kids hating their stepmother's, I'm just glad that's not the case.

“You're good with him.” I looked at Sophia who looked right back at me. “Oliver, I mean. He likes you.”

“Thanks. I don't exactly know what I'm doing.” I answered.

“Mothering sometimes comes naturally, especially to those with a lot of love in their hearts to give. You're a good person, Alyssa, promise you won't leave him like his mother did.”

My eyebrows furrowed but I nodded nonetheless.

Like his mother did?

Before I could asked what she meant, Nathan came back empty handed. I thought he was getting Oliver's things.

“Let's get going.” He said briskly and started walking through the house.

I got up carefully, making sure I wouldn't disturb Oliver. Sophia stopped by her front door, waving us goodbye from there. There was a car seat at the back for Oliver. Nathan had to help me with it because I had no idea how to strap him in.

This mothering stuff is hard. I thought as I put on my seat belt.

I waved Sophia goodbye one last time before the car rolled into the road. A few moments later, I relaxed in my seat and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. A lot was on my mind once again and thinking of it all was giving me a headache.

I need some time to myself.

“It's overwhelming, isn't it?”

I turned to the one that spoke and nodded my head.

Nathan gave me a sorry smile, glancing at me for two seconds before concentrating on the road. “I'm sorry for springing this up on you like that. I should have given you a heads-up before taking you to meet my mother and son.”

“Yes, you should've. But I don't really mind. Oliver's a good child, you've done well with him.”

“Thank you. I try my best to be both a mum and dad but I know no matter how much I try, it'll never be the same for him.”

I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “You don't have to be the mom anymore.”

“Thank you, Alyssa. Most women would run for the hills the moment I mention children.”

“Well, I'm not most women.” I joked, trying to get a laugh out of him.

Success. “I can see that.”

We fell into a comfortable silence for a few minutes until he spoke again. “You probably want to know where his mother is.”

“Only when you're ready to talk about it.”

“How about Saturday, over dinner?”

Like a date? “Huh?”

Smart move, idiot.

“I want to take you out on a date on Saturday. I'll tell you everything then.”

“O-kay, I'd like that.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

551K 14.6K 73
"NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER let anyone other than me see you in such little clothes. Have I made myself clear tesoro? " His husky voice dialed down by an...
7.3K 449 6
"Marley!" He jerked off of his seat, "I forbid you from uttering that name henceforth. I can't believe this!" he grabbed his hair tightly. "Mar-" "D...
5M 118K 23
SEQUEL TO HIS POSSESSION IN DISCRETION READ BOOK #1 BEFORE ENTERING BOOK #2 Delilah Newman-Russel. Recently turning 19, she's been learning the ropes...
1.4K 60 42
When Evelyn Graham is asked to perform a complicated surgery on a new patient, she never imagined HIM. He's British. He's Demanding. And he refuses...