𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐄𝐃, 𝐊𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐀

By Stardust_Wendy

[ᴘʀᴇᴠɪᴏᴜsʟʏ ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪɴ ʙᴇᴛᴡᴇᴇɴ] "𝐎𝐟 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝, 𝐡𝐞'𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛�... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
CAST
AESTHETICS + PLAYLIST
[01] PISS OFF
[02] WARRIOR MAMA
[04] JOKES ON YOU
[5] STRANGER DANGER
[6] DOUBLE THE CURSE
[7] SILENCE
[8] FRIDAY CIRCLE
[9] WHO IS HE?
[10] PAPER HEART
[10] PAPER HEART [II]
[11] WORLD OF WONDERS
[11] WORLD OF WONDERS [II]

[03] SPAWN FROM HELL

756 344 451
By Stardust_Wendy

Dedicated to my madam ur_favouritexx 😂❤️ You guys should check out her NaNoWrimo book, Campus Demon.
And we're at 600 plus reads 😭❤️ Thank you everyone!!

𝚃𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗' 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕
𝙰𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚢 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚖𝚘𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚗 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍?
𝙾𝚛 𝚍𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎?
𝙸𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚎𝚕𝚜𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗' 𝚏𝚘𝚛?
- 𝚂𝙷𝙰𝙻𝙻𝙾𝚆 [𝙻𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝙶𝚊𝚐𝚊 𝚡 𝙱𝚛𝚊𝚍𝚕𝚎𝚢 𝙲𝚘𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚛]

~

As a child, while other kids had dreamt about prancing around in fancy castles or having islands of their own, I lived somewhere amongst the stars - far away from human life and out of reach from a blight reality.

I found comfort in the magic of constellations, of the milky way and galaxies that existed far beyond our imaginations. They were the purest form of existence and oh, I wished I could graze each twinkle with my fingertips or exist as one of them.

I loved it for the same reason Wendy from Peter Pan fell in love with Neverland or for all the wrong reasons an addict needed a dosage of his drugs; they both provided an escape from reality.
The same escape and comfort sought out by many unconsciously. Perhaps from reading or living among song lyrics and maybe, even drowning in meaningless conversations, alcohol or sex.

Granted, reality could be scary and sheltered deep in my heart was a part of the sky. My own wonderland, where I actually lived.

Not just existing.

Daddy handed me the golden chain necklace. His kind eyes regarded me with a certain tenderness, and a discreet smile crawled up his lips in quiet anticipation.

I gazed at the beautiful gift in my palm, but what earned my gasp was the intricate pendant. Carved out in calligraphy were the words ‘My Angel’ and ingrained within each alphabet was a small crystal star. Under the chandelier’s light, it glittered like a sun-kissed ocean lapping the sands.

It was perfect!

My heart warmed with joy, extending to a pearly grin as I jumped unto Dad for a bone crushing hug.

He stumbled back and chuckled deeply. The lines beneath his eyes creased.

“Easy,dear.You like it?”

“I love it! Thank you a million times, Daddy. You’re the best!” I gushed, holding him even tighter.

In that rare moment, he hummed and embraced me in a tender but protective manner. It spoke in more ways than one that he’d never want to lose me.

We were all we had left, after all.

Mum was a buzzing ray of sunshine, full of an ethereal energy that I was convinced I could never pull off. She brought a wave of light wherever she was present. The moment she took her life, it was like someone had plunged our family into darkness - dimming the lights and knocked out the very smiles from our hearts.

Daddy and I became strained. Awkward even. Days passed by and conversations seemed more difficult. We avoided topics that brought back her memories and skittered  away from sentimental father-daughter time.

But today was an exception from the norm.

In the comfort of his embrace, the silence that stretched between us spoke in volumes what words never could. It carried a mutual understanding - of hope.

Like a flicker of a single star on a starry night.

Maybe - just maybe - we weren’t entirely ruined.

After a while, we broke our hug but the warmth in our hearts remained.

“Turn around.” Daddy instructed and wordlessly, I handed him the necklace before turning.

The cold metal grazed my skin as Daddy hung it around my neck. If I could recall right, Mum had an identical necklace and I in no way doubted that Daddy had also gifted it to her. Carved on hers were the words ‘My Queen’.

Love nwantiti.

I cheesed quietly to myself.

“How much did this cost?” I asked as I touched the pendant. The remarkable nature screamed money.

“Does it matter?”

“It looks mad expensive.”

“And it was worth it because...” After hooking it, Daddy turned me around and smiled proudly. “You look stunning, my dear.”

My lips tugged up.
“All thanks to you.”

Dad chuckled lightly.

“Now, Grace.” He sobered up, his eyes going straight to mine. “No matter what happens, I want that to be a constant reminder that you have me. You’re not alone and I love you above anything else. So, please...” He held me by the shoulders and spoke as though he wanted each word to sink in. “Never forget that.”

My heart clenched at the raw emotions his eyes carried. But then, I pushed his hand away from my shoulder with a frown.

“No, you’re wrong.” Father’s brows pulled together and he was on the verge of sputtering when I added, “You have me and we have us. You should never forget that as well.”

Dad’s confusion relaxed into a pleased tender smile and he nodded in agreement.

“We have us.”

I reached for my new necklace and grinned.

“I’m never taking this off.”

How would I? Not a chance when I had all my favorites woven in one object. My father’s promise, a part of my Mum I was certain inspired the gesture and a sprinkle of the heavenly bodies.

“It’s almost 8pm. Is everyone set?” Ogechi’s head poked in through the double doors that led to the dinner room we stood in.

Dad glanced at her.
“Yes, sweetheart.”

His hand moved to adjust his navy blue tie which was a step away from his usual clerical collar. It was a neat fit for his beautiful tailored suit and complimenting brogues. As charming as he was, no one would think he was a day over 40.

Well, it was his day after all. You didn’t expect him to dress scrawny. Even I had made a special effort to look just as good in my royal blue fit-and-flare off-shoulder, twinkling with little dotted sequins.

Ogechi wasn’t left out either. Her form fitting, floor length dinner gown was a real eye-catcher. Even though she’d insisted on sewing her thigh high slits together, she still looked quite as gorgeous and no one would suspect the storm lying behind that pretty face.

Osiso, let’s go then.”

[Osiso = Fast]

Dad spared me a small smile before Ogechi whisked him away to the entrance of our house. Readied to receive guests.

Maybe guests wasn’t exactly the word.

Mindlessly, I walked over to the water dispenser by the corner of the large room, opting for a glass.

This was a private dinner party. Daddy insisted on it even though he had already celebrated his promotion to district pastor at church last Sunday. I called it private because only Dad’s inner-circle was invited and with them, almost everything was private. Close to having your own VIP club - of friends, that is.

I drank from the disposable cup, and sighed in satisfaction once the liquid touched my dry throat.

The strong family affiliates of the Matthews, or Dad’s inner-circle if you preferred that, were the Cokers and Ogenyis. And never in my life had I seen a bond stronger than these three families - when it came to our parents, at least.

Inseparable took an entirely different meaning when Dad had told me all about their history. Right from secondary school, through university and now, all successful members of the society. No wonder Dad regarded them so highly.

We all lived in the same snotty neighbourhood of Ajayi hill and to them, it was ‘geng geng’ for life. Not that they’d use those particular terms. But it pretty much extended to why they thought four of their kids should have the same history.

As if.

Mentally rolling my eyes, I dropped the cup in the nearby trash can.

Voices filtered in from the sitting room and I quickly adjusted my black faux locs for no apparent reason, except impulse. Soon, a lady - dressed specifically to impress - walked into the dinner room. Her stiletto heels clacked against the marble floors and her dazzling purple cape gown followed behind.

Mrs Tolani Coker.

She was elegance in a nutshell and just like her son, she wielded attention like a sword. All that was left was the camera flash and buzz of paparazzi to surround her. Well, if they could stand her icy stare alone.

But I almost choked on my spit when I had a full view of the significantly younger man in her arms.

That was the fourth one this year.

One of the perks of being a gorgeous divorcee and an affluent lady for Mrs Tolani were the varieties of young boy candies she basked in. She kept them coming like her packs of cigarette. As for societal morals, something told me she didn’t give a hoot about that either.

"Oh, there she is! My Grace.” Mrs Tolani exclaimed as she rushed towards me. Her eyes gleamed from the radiant smile on her face.

I had to force my feet to move faster, half scared she’d fall on those heels.

“Aunt Tola!” My voice took up an enthusiasm I wasn’t feeling.

We embraced and broke up just before her perfume could choke me.

“My darling, you look breathtaking this evening.”

“Same as you, ma.”

“In this old thing? Oh, please!” Mrs Tola waved me off with a playful eye roll. Unlike her son, she had a bordering obsession with me and that was something not a lot of people could achieve from her.

Asides being my undesignated fairy godmother, she was one of the biggest allies that believed Denola and I had a ‘future’. It explained the outrageous things/plans she devices once in a while to reel us together.

I cringed.

Sadly, summer was full of them and chaos ensued each time. Yet, she just never seemed to give up. It was infuriating to say the least.Take the car ride for instance. It was technically her fault for demanding that Denola takes me to the museum.

Against his will.

Not that it made him any less of a menace. His Mum just didn’t make it any better.

Speaking of which, Ogechi walked in as well. From the disdain on her face, I could tell she had a mouthful to say about Mrs Tolani bringing her newest boy toy to the dinner. But for the sake of courtesy for my father, she swallowed it.

It didn’t stop her from eyeing Mrs Tolani and her bloke behind their back anyway, then masqueraded with a smile - more of bared teeth - when she came to the front.

Asampete!” Ogechi praised and even if Mrs Tolani knew the compliment was fake, she beamed with a smile. “Follow me, let me show you your seats.”

[Asampete: Beautiful woman]

Ogechi led them down her masterpiece.The interior decorations of our special dinner room was top notch. At each sides, the walls were covered in shimmering gold paper and in the middle of the ceiling, above the perfectly vanished mahogany table that took up most of the vast space, hung a sparkling crystal chandelier. It brought the whole room to life.

Beautifully adorned chairs surrounded the table, and a whiff of fresh scented jasmines made breathing in a drug. Polished silver cutleries sat close to empty wine glasses and folded napkins on the table.

With soft melodious voices singing in the background, it couldn’t be disputed why Ogechi was by far one of the most successful event planners in Khoffri District.

Denola sauntered in a second after, holding his mother’s purse and dear lord-

I sucked in a sharp breath.

He looked...okay.

Breathtakingly okay.

And that was the thing about him.The effortless charm.

He had the kind of face that stopped you right in your tracks, commanding you to stare even if that was the last thing you wanted. Built like a model, Denola’s well nourished body belonged to the front covers of some high society magazine - or premium blue film but you didn’t hear that from me.

Although not one feature made him attractive, but I’d always thought his eyes came close. They were swirls of hazel - absorbing, and fiercer when angry. Flecks of brown always seemed to perform ballets in them under the sun and made you believe they’d still be beautiful in any shade. They were after all the reason a few girls from our school hung on his words like their dying breath and were always quick to reciprocate his smiles.

Even though he rarely smiled deeply, but the few times I’d spotted that one dimpled hearty grin light up his features, I could have sworn he couldn’t be the same person.

Well, all I got were hard lines and bitter scowls.

Tch-

Accentuated in his impeccably crisp tuxedo and clean cut hair in waves or whatever boys called it these days, I hated that my heart skipped a beat.

Treacherous.

He looked like a gentleman. But then, looks had always been deceiving. Denola could only be two words: vile and empty.

His lazy eyes swept through the room and landed precisely on me. His lips parted and for a splitting second, he seemed to stare.

Drinking me in in one look.

My skin prickled with heat but I didn’t let my gaze falter under his hard stare.

Creep.

Visibly, I sighed when his flitting attention was dragged to a boy in a tux as well, who raced into the room. His arms were stretched out like an airplane.
Followed in by an older man, intimidating in his black suit.

The Cokers were complete. A full-on dysfunctional family, if you asked me.

Timini Coker, Denola’s 9 year old spawn from hell - or brother if that suited you better, ran like a bull towards me. Before I could decipher what was going on, the little mite stomped on my left feet.

Hard.

“Fudge!” I howled. Believe me, it wasn’t the feminine type.

The searing pain shot through my body like electricity and I had to clutch to the nearest wall.

What the heck!

Were his shoes made of granite?

I hissed in pain as I glared at a grinning Timini. The twinkle of mischief in his eyes were identical to the ghost of a smirk on Denola’s lips.

Oh wow.

“Timi!” Mr Benjamin Coker thundered.

By then, those already at the dinner table were looking over. The little boy stuck out his tongue at me before he ran back to his father’s side.

What ever had I done to him?

I rolled my eyes. What was I expecting? Voldemort himself was his brother.

Mr Benjamin passed me a sympathetic look, mouthing the word ‘Sorry’ and went on to caution his son.

He was after all the better parent, even though he hardly came around. During the fight for child custody after their divorce, the court had split the two sons between their two parents. Denola lived with Mrs Tolani while Timini stayed with their Dad, in a completely different neighbourhood all together. A dysfunctional family only brought together by their mutual relationship with my father. But having Mr and Mrs Coker in the same room for too long might as well have been a recipe for a brewing disaster.

Ogechi left her spot by the table and rushed towards the newly arrived Cokers and led them to their place on the table.

Everyone settled down on the dinner table as Ogechi’s catering crew served the mouthwatering appetizers, immediately after the Ogenyis had arrived. Fashionably late as usual.

It didn’t matter that their house was only two buildings away from ours, they were always late to everything.

Ofcourse, my excitement had hit the ceiling when I saw Ene and her twin, Ehi. But, mostly Ene and words couldn’t even begin to describe how much I’d missed her energy.

She made all four of us - Denola, Ehi, Ene and I - take selfies together. I knew for certain they’d be all over her social media story within minutes.

“...may the grace of the most high abide with us. Amen.” Dad concluded the opening prayers and we all lifted our bowed heads.

Thus, dinner began.

~

A/N

I know, I know.
I'm a horrible person!
I didn't update for a while, but I swear I was ill 😔 and writing this update took longer than I expected oh!

So what do you think?!

Denola's Mum?
She's one of my favorite characters 😂 And she has big roles ahead.

Timini Coker killed me😂😂 I like him though. He reminds me of those children that can embarrass you in church. 💀

I hope this chapter answers questions from people who asked if Denola and Grace were dating. 💀
They're just family friends oh. 😂 Since childhood and all.

Featured comment:

"na,!!!! her village people prolly killed her and plotted it as suicide" — oyindarrr

This comment killed me 🤣
But then, could there actually be a possibility-

This chapter was taking longer than I wanted, so I had to divide it into 3 parts 👀 Don't worry, it's gon' be juicy!

Also: JEREMIAH AKINTOLA'S cast has been changed. Again.

You see that star thingy?
Click on it baby!

Your comments keep me going ❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 12.6K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
177K 34.4K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
17.8K 4.5K 41
{COMPLETED} "This is the sequel to The Wrong Crowd." "I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."...
326K 89.1K 98
Giwa Falade is the ruthless Queen Bee of Castron High. Known for her sassy, bold, no-nonsense attitude and awfully feared, absolutely dreaded by the...