Wake of the Dead | One

By Lup1ne

#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes f... More

Chapter One
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Epilogue

Chapter eighteen

602 37 22
By Lup1ne

Jasper's heavy combat boots made a satisfying tap against the pavement as he paced back and forth, his mind deep in thought. He needed people he could trust for this mission, but also people with skill and experience. Casimir was possibly one of the most skilled individuals in the group, a good hunter with intelligent observational skills. Still, he wasn't sure Casimir was somebody he'd want to bring along on this mission--not after their argument just an hour prior.

"Need some help there, Jasper?" The man jumped whenever a familiar, upbeat voice broke him away from his inner thoughts.

Swallowing back his irritability Jasper muttered, "I'm still irritated with you, Ginger. You and the the other dumbasses." Leaning against a large support beam holding up the canopy above the sidewalk. Crossing his arms, the man knit his brows together as a frown tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Being out of my sight for barely an hour isn't going to make everything you did okay."

A soft rain began to patter down onto the pavement of the motel lot, and Jasper let a deep sigh escape from between his lips when he saw how dejected Aubrey looked after his comment. She was speechless for a few seconds, her lips parted. Finally she managed to break her silence and responded with, "The only reason that was a big deal to you and nobody else is because you're way too overprotective." The fiery ginger crossed her arms, her nose wrinkling into a small snarl.

Jasper narrowed his eyes even further, clenching his hand onto his arm to try and hold back whatever anger could possibly be directed at her. Taking another deep breath, the man forced himself to relax before he said anything potentially hurtful to his friend. "Aubrey, I know I can be...overbearing at times. But," Jasper ran a hand down his face with frustration. How could she not understand?

"I know you feel responsible for my brother's death," Aubrey said bluntly. Those words rang in Jasper's ears, hollow and echoing. He felt a sharp stab in his chest, as if she'd plunged a knife through his heart. "You think because you couldn't shoot those biters when they first showed up that it's your fault. It isn't." She narrowed her eyes, "It's not your job to replace my older brother, Jasper."

Jasper felt like he could barely breathe. There was a hard, thick lump in his throat that made it hard to speak. He couldn't find the words, and there was a heat behind his eyes that he despised. Shaking off whatever emotion he was feeling the man replied bluntly, "I tried to get to Anderson, but it was too late. I had to put him down before he suffered too much," Jasper knit his brows together and stared Aubrey directly in the eyes, "I don't plan on letting that happen to you, Aubrey." Aubrey was quiet for a long while, leaving Jasper holding his breath for her response. The ginger-haired girl nodded after what felt like a life time.

"So, are you coming with me or not?" Jasper prompted. He tilted his head to the side, then blew away a bit of his tuft that had fallen in front of his eyes. He could've sworn he saw a small smile tugging at Aubrey's lips and a humorous twinkle in her emerald eyes. Aubrey relented with a nod, and headbutted Jasper in the chest to demand some attention. Jasper wrapped his arms around her in a big, warm hug. "Atta' girl." Jasper chuckled, tousling Aubrey's ginger curls. "I knew you wouldn't abandon me."

Aubrey stuck her tongue out at Jasper. It was definitely juvenile, and she knew it. She paused when Jasper's smile faded into an observational frown. Narrowing her brows together Aubrey prompted, "What?" With a broad smile and an exasperated chuckle.

Averting his gaze, Jasper rubbed the back of his neck self-consciously. An embarrassed heat found its way to the man's cheeks as he muttered, "Promise you won't laugh if I tell you?"

Aubrey punched Jasper playfully on the shoulder, her eyes filled with mischief. "Can't promise, but I'll try not to. What's on your mind, big guy?"

Forcing himself to look down and meet Aubrey's gaze, Jasper closed his eyes and let out a long, reluctant sigh. "You remind me of my little brother, Benji." Aubrey was trying to hold in her laughter, Jasper could tell. Rolling his eyes, he glared away and crossed his arms. "Well if you have to laugh, then go ahead." He muttered.

The young woman let out a loud cackle, and Jasper raised a single brow. What was so funny about this situation? Was that such a strange concept that Aubrey didn't believe him? "What?" Jasper demanded, narrowing his eyes into a playful grin. "What's so funny about that?" Jasper poked Aubrey on the nose, prodding for answers. He could see the young woman's red freckles as she scrunched up her face and giggled.

"Nothing, bro." Aubrey said, and Jasper covered his eyes with his palm. Immediately, he knew he'd made a mistake telling Aubrey the real reason he was so determined to look after her. Aubrey giggled incessantly, and Jasper's misery was only made worse. "I'll see you around, 'bro.'" Aubrey teased, elbowing him in the ribs. "Come get me when you're ready to leave, alright?"

With a reluctant sigh Jasper mumbled, "Yea, whatever you say." He paused for a little bit, before he added with a humorous snort, "Sis." Aubrey shot him a small smile and then headed off back to her room, presumably to pack a few things for the mission. Jasper stood still for a little while, trying to process what had just happened. After a minute or so, his ribs began to hurt where Aubrey had elbowed him. Running a hand through his hair tuft, Jasper knit his brows together.

Now, Jasper had two people to accompany him on their scouting mission. He didn't want too many people, but also not too little. Just enough to keep track of. Darren and Aubrey were good friends, but Aubrey could be a bit scatter-brained at times and he needed somebody else to help him out while Darren made sure the girl didn't get herself killed. As he'd thought before, Casimir could be good to take along, but that would end up being rather problematic. As well as a small group that would be fast to move, Jasper needed people who would work well together.

Even though Jasper didn't know the other group members all too well, it would do him some good to become more familiar with them. Maybe bringing along somebody he wasn't super close to would be a good step in the right direction. His immediate thoughts went to Dominick, but if he brought the young man along as well as Aubrey, it could seem like he was rewarding them for their unacceptable actions from earlier. Harley, Chris or Keagan would be a good idea. But Jasper knew Harley and Chris stuck together like glue, and bringing one would most certainly mean bringing the other. If he wanted to keep the group small, he'd have to bring Keagan along.

With his mind made up, Jasper began to walk down the sidewalk beside the lot of the motel, scanning the open-doored rooms for the younger woman. Eventually he found her on the fourth door down, sitting in a circle with Wilson, Samantha and Emma. The four were playing some sort of card game, possibly picked up from their recent raid at the gas station. Knocking on the door frame politely, Jasper was immediately aware how cold the glare Casimir gave him was. The other man definitely did not have any warm feelings towards Jasper, and Jasper was inclined to believe the feeling was mutual.

Nodding to Keagan Jasper said, "Tom is sending me to lead a scouting patrol to the town, just to see if things there are safe enough to bring the rest of the group. Darren and Aubrey are coming with, do you want to join us?" Jasper wondered if his direct phrasing would come off as too commanding or overly aggressive, but Keagan didn't seem to be bothered much.

Keagan nodded once and said, "I could give my bones a bit of a stretch. I'll get some things together and meet you guys whenever you're ready to go. Is anybody else coming?" The young woman tilted her head to the side curiously.

Shaking his head Jasper replied, "No. I want to keep the group small so everybody can stick together easier," He paused for a few seconds before hastily adding, "We want to move as quickly and possible. The group is getting cold and hungry, we're running out of food fast."

The young woman knit her brows together curiously, thinking the situation over. Jasper held his breath as he waited for Keagan to reply; eventually she nodded. "Sure thing, makes sense. Alright, see you in a bit then."

With his patrol decided on, Jasper left the room and paused. Taking in a deep breath of the outdoors, the fresh air began to calm his nerves. It was cold and satisfying, but eventually he knew the temperature would drop drastically throughout the next few weeks. The group needed warmer clothes, and quickly before somebody caught hypothermia or got sick. He was suddenly reminded again of Killian. Now that Aubrey was going along with him, Killian would be surrounded by a group of people he didn't know. The least Jasper could say was a goodbye to his friend before he set off.

Heading down the pavement and to his shared room with Killian, Jasper pushed open the door...to see Killian huddled in the corner, with his knees brought up to his chest and his arms wrapped around his legs. The younger man's hazel eyes were frightened, and Jasper hadn't ever seen him like this. Was being surrounded by so many strangers truly this bad for him? Closing the door softly behind him, Jasper slowly walked over. He grew even more concerned when Killian didn't snap at him like usual. Sitting down next to his friend, Jasper tilted his head to the side. "It really is this bad for you, being around other strangers." He wondered out loud. "This is why you didn't want to be in a group, isn't it?"

Killian's nose wrinkled into a snarl and he glared away. "What's it to you?" His harsh words stung Jasper more than they had ever before. Guilt was beginning to weigh down heavy on his shoulders, but he knew Killian couldn't come with him. Tom was the group leader, and if Jasper broke the rules then the others would think they should too. He had to set a good example for them. "You're not the one being left behind." That comment was even more of a slap in the face than the previous one, because Jasper knew Killian was right. He wasn't the one being left behind.

Trying to lighten the mood Jasper said, "Well, you've always told me to go away." He made sure to add a bit of a chuckle, but even he could hear how half-hearted it was. Before he could even process what he was going to say Jasper blurted out, "Killian you know I don't want to, right? If it was up to me, you and I would just go together with nobody else."

Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon sunlight, Killian's hazel eyes brightened into a beautiful, golden honey-brown. He was speechless for a few split seconds, until he managed to make his mind work out what to say next. "We're a team. That means no man gets left behind. I'll come back for you, I promise."

The younger man looked up at Jasper; once again those striking, sharp bright eyes almost took his breath away. "I..." Killian took a few seconds to find his words. "I believe you." Jasper managed to finally catch his breath, and then nodded. Killian suddenly snatched away his bag and rifled through it, grabbing the book Jasper had been reading. "Especially now that you have to come back for this."

Jasper chuckled, "First you take my jacket, and now my book?" He ruffled Killian's hair, and the other man responded by smacking him hard on the head. Jasper winced, but managed to keep the grin that had spread slowly across his lips. "Okay fine, the jacket's all yours now. But you've got to give me that book when I get back."

The younger man gave Jasper a more playful glare, keeping the book away from him. "Okay, fine then. Come back, and I'll give you your dumbass book."

Jasper used the wall to help him stand, and Killian followed him out of the room. Darren and Aubrey glanced up from a few doors down, with Keagan joining them after a few split seconds. Jasper glanced back down at Killian, still unsure. His anxiety and excitement were mounting to new heights now. Not only was he going to lead this patrol, but he was going to be responsible for what happened to them.

"Alright Boy Scout," Jasper smiled when he saw that Killian was scowling again. "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone, okay?" A wave of relief washed over him especially as Killian shot him a menacing glare.

"You're the one who needs to be careful." Killian shot back. "Now get going before I make you."

Jasper ruffled Killian's hair one last time, which earned him a brutal punch to the shoulder. He winced, but managed to keep his smile. Refusing to keep the parting words going for too long, Jasper turned away to join the rest of his patrol. He walked all the way down, almost past the lot of the motel. The man knew if he turned back, he wouldn't be able to leave Killian behind like Tom had insisted him on doing. Closing his eyes, Jasper took a deep breath. Kneeling down, he tightened his shoe laces and stood up again.

"And now," Jasper said with a reluctant sigh, "Into the great beyond." Then took the first step that marked the beginning of his next big adventure.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Mine By Kate

Romance

266K 6.8K 65
" what's wrong," he asked, fucking tears, now I have to answer him " nothing I'm fine," I said he scoffed " I didn't ask are you okay but obviously y...
258K 9.7K 44
Book 1 of the supernatural world series "Hey! Get down you may slip and die!!" . . "Don't worry about me I'm already dead!" _____ An ancient vampire...
451K 22.4K 104
It was supposed to be an easy job. Get the phone and run like hell. Make a few hundred bucks for food, a nice hot shower, and a warm bed to sleep in...
2.8K 99 19
Stiles brush with death at the hands of the malevolent Darach, Jennifer, leaves him teetering on the edge of the supernatural abyss. Salvation comes...